Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

Couple new tracks/videos to hold you fucks over til tomorrow

First up we've got SeeYouSpaceCowboy with that 2005 sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl6zBGcIt8s

good lord you were not kidding at all

this has very powerful Still Remains vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

currently jamming the new etid (i paid for a vinyl preorder, i feel no shame/guilt)

it is good

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah it's really good but it never isn't. not everyone likes every album as much but i don't think they can really do anything "bad"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

muike posted:

yeah it's really good but it never isn't. not everyone likes every album as much but i don't think they can really do anything "bad"

They're one of those bands who have never had a transcendent album but pretty much every release is somewhere in my top like 12-25 of any given year. It's an incredibly consistent run.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're like a threshold band, they're right there, and every once in a while they put out a song that goes in your forever rotation.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I am glad that they've hit the level of success that they can just keep going and making albums and do things like TID the Season

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

See to me, the "consistently good but nothing transcends" is where I put Unearth and August Burns Red in my head. It's funny how different tastes can be.

I am oozing ETID fanboy from every pore, and couldn't possibly give an unbiased opinion on their music at this point. They have been in my rotation since Hot drat! came out and have worked their way up to being my all time favorite band over the years. I'm two listens in on the new joint.

I think Radical is perfect. :)

Pulls together elements of all of their various sounds and vibes through the years, great production, best vocals Keith has ever done. It's great hearing how the singles from the record fit into its full context. ETID are the only heavy band I don't go 'oh gently caress, oh no' when I hear that they've recorded a more melodic, singing-driven song (Thing With Feathers) and wow do I love that song. If ETID decide to put out an indie rock record for their 10th I'd be all in.

Hard to pick favorites on this record. Beyond the singles, Hostile Architecture, Thing With Feathers, and White Void have grabbed me hard. White Void has huge southern rock Big Dirty energy and I loving love that album. I look forward to spending more time with this record and falling even more in love with it.

After a five year wait from Low Teens, today feels really good. I couldn't be happier with it.

And on that note here is a sweet rear end video they also dropped last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06mgL0GK--Y

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

See to me, the "consistently good but nothing transcends" is where I put Unearth and August Burns Red in my head. It's funny how different tastes can be.

:same:

ETID have a pretty distinct feel and if it doesn't specifically gel with you then nothing they do is likely to change your opinion of them for better or worse, but goddamn are they good at writing ETID songs. I can't think of another band that has this consistently released albums that manage to feel fresh and notably different from their predecessors, while never wavering in quality and while still maintaining the core feel of the band. I fully admit that this could just be a result of my unapologetic fanboyism, but :shrug:

Radical is phenomenal. Each single has been one of my favorite tracks of the year and they're not even the best songs on the album. The guest features caught me off-guard and blew me away, Keith's vocals just keep getting better and I'm especially impressed by how much his cleans have improved. Easy AOTY contender and I'm not really sure what else even comes close.

SchwarzeKrieg fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 22, 2021

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s aoty for me

Thing with feathers caught me off guard the beginning reminds me of new pbtt or something and then the Manchester orchestra guy. Lovely surprise

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
this album goes hard. ETID out of 10. a perfect score.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ETID's my favorite band. This is already one of my favorite ETID records. Very, very stoked for TID the Season!

Also, Kublai Kahn TX(lol) dropped a new single, if you can tear yourself away from Radical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQ1SJPLSEo

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

how many times can i say i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry... i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry...

BUT WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

ShoogaSlim posted:

how many times can i say i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry... i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry...

BUT WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!

hell yeah thats where i cranked the volume all the way up

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Thing with Feathers and White Void are getting the most 'actually clicking on one song rather than just letting it loop all day' plays for me right now. Thing with Feathers has gigantic Hotel California energy to start with and then sounds almost Porcupine Tree-ish at times. gently caress it's good.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I follow this YT channel of some random dude who's done guitar covers of basically every ETID song. Whenever they drop a new song, homie has a cover up in a matter of hours. I imagine today's gonna be a busy day for him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBxutYADBYw

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Giving Radical it's first spin and :tviv: Distress Rehearsal is a loving banger.

Definitely will be giving the whole album a few more spins in a row here. I'm not the biggest ETID fan overall but I'm loving the chaos and brutal honesty of these lyrics.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

Giving Radical it's first spin and :tviv: Distress Rehearsal is a loving banger.

Definitely will be giving the whole album a few more spins in a row here. I'm not the biggest ETID fan overall but I'm loving the chaos and brutal honesty of these lyrics.

Realizing that Thing With Feathers is about Keith/Jordan's mom dying of cancer really hit me

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i thought the guest vocalist on all this and war sounded familiar, its the dude from the chariot. that song is so good. one of my faves so far

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

XIII posted:

Realizing that Thing With Feathers is about Keith/Jordan's mom dying of cancer really hit me

woof, wow.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

that song is more Feels now than ever, thanks :(

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I wish the album was more like Thing With Feathers - it's the standout track and a lot of the album actually fell short for me on initial listen.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Thing With Feathers is actually about Keith and Jordan's sister who passed away. Keith's doing an IG Live with the director of the video right now and someone asked.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

Thing With Feathers is actually about Keith and Jordan's sister who passed away. Keith's doing an IG Live with the director of the video right now and someone asked.

poo poo, that's right. Don't know why I had it in my head it was their mom. Either way, super loving sad. Fantastic song

edit: now that I think about it, I think he wrote her into Scale and, iirc, I think she was born with some illness/disability, so I might have also been wrong about the cancer thing. IDK, never trust me

XIII fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 22, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gone Fashing posted:

i thought the guest vocalist on all this and war sounded familiar, its the dude from the chariot. that song is so good. one of my faves so far

'68 is good.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

'68 is good.

Does anyone know if Nikko (drummer of '68) played on the ETID track? Obviously Josh is on it, but they credited '68 as being the feature, not just JS.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i think spotify (not sure about others) flip flops between crediting the entire band or the individual when it comes to strictly vocal guest spots

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

ETID's my favorite band. This is already one of my favorite ETID records. Very, very stoked for TID the Season!

Also, Kublai Kahn TX(lol) dropped a new single, if you can tear yourself away from Radical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQ1SJPLSEo

lol this is so dumb and awesome, I love Kublai Khan. modern day Bury Your Dead (I know they still exist and play shows but that last EP was tremendous Meh aside from "Collateral" which slaps)

I want ETID to win a Grammy for Thing With Feathers, the more I listen to it it's one of the best songs I've ever heard

Also, The Whip is their heaviest song to date right? It has to be. F U C K

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
The Whip was the standout track for me on my first listen. Hostile Architecture sounds like it could be a Kaonashi song. Love it. White Void could be a He Is Legend song. Love it. Josh Scogin killed it on All This and War. Overall I think the new album is fantastic.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
People Verses is probably my favorite track as of now.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

what the gently caress is etid on, jesus christ

what band's ninth full length is their best one, loving legends

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I also only just watched the video for Thing With Feathers and I didn't realize it was Jordan playing the outro until then :smith:

What a fuckin' track.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
low teens was my intro to ETID and sat as my high point (the coin has a say is one of my favorite songs ever) but I think Radical slightly edges low teens out for me

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ok so I kind of fell asleep on them for the last few albums, but this new ABR track kind of slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D7k6qp0pto

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Really good interview with Keith in Kerrang!

https://www.kerrang.com/features/behind-blue-eyes-the-radical-rebirth-of-keith-buckley/

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
couldnt put my finger on it until someone said it in the comments on the music video, but thing with feathers sounds like a radiohead song

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

also this interview is really good and makes me love etid and keith even more

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Any time I meet somebody who is from/lived in Buffalo I ask them which members of ETID they know. It kind of started out as a bit but every single person I've asked has an answer and none of them have anything bad to say about any of them. It makes me happy.

Also Keith looks like such a wizened wizard these days.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
just remembered this, which came on some kind of premium copy of hot drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSUNMs5yK5o

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
might have been posted in here before but here's a song with a flute breakdown at the end
https://youtu.be/uhT01Riu1V4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Gone Fashing posted:

might have been posted in here before but here's a song with a flute breakdown at the end
https://youtu.be/uhT01Riu1V4

Someone discovered Bilmuri :v:

Check them out on Spotify. It's been a bunch of EPs and most is alt rock but it's a lot of fun. Definitely a vibe.