Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Prolonged Panorama posted:

Yes, and they are extremely spicy.

dune is loving weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?
Gonna break the ground with my voice, make his eyes turn WHIIIIITE.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I skipped pages but gently caress all y'all who don't like the movie.

Saw it on Thursday on IMAX, and I'm trying to convince my friend to go with me tomorrow. I'll go without him anyway.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.. Shai Hulud

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

vortmax posted:

gently caress all y'all who don't like the movie.

:hmmyes:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I saw Dunc yesterday and honestly, I love it. It's big, beautiful, and boring. Just the way sci-fi is supposed to be.

But if you're a normie it's gonna be hard to watch. That it's never explained that shields plus lasers nuclear detonation was a lost opportunity of the audiences lizard brains to go 'ooooh'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

i liked it as a translation of the duke's 'taht... is my son' musings

yea I was a big fan of how they folded in the inner narratives/solo musings into characters.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
what is the point of this new Dune movie?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what is the point of this new Dune movie?

To make money for Warner Brothers.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ChairmanMauzer posted:

To make money for Warner Brothers.

I can understand that

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
what is the name for when the music has that loud non english wailing they do in this movie a bunch? not hating I enjoyed it but that was a bit much

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vashro posted:

what is the name for when the music has that loud non english wailing they do in this movie a bunch? not hating I enjoyed it but that was a bit much

I dunno want to give it a name

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Imagined posted:

I thought he was a clever bit of casting since his character is called "the beast", and at one point the Baron even calls him a "muscle-minded tank brain". So clueless brutal meathead fits. The Baron's plan is to deliberately have a governor on Arrakis so oppressive and unpopular that when he replaces him with his chosen successor, his nephew Feyd-Rautha, the people of Arrakis will supposedly welcome him.

The Baron is wrong about him though. Rabban understands the situation on Arrakis better than he does and tries to warn him about the Fremen being better fighters than their soldiers and existing in far greater numbers than the official estimate. Ironically the Baron dismisses this as excuse-making when Rabban is completely correct, and it’s precisely because he’s already assumed that he’s the fail nephew who isn’t good for anything but breaking heads. Rabban was the smartest Harkonnen

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vashro posted:

Loud non English wailing lmao

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_maqam

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I did actually go looking for the answer, maqam is the name for the kinds of intervals they use but it's basically just a woman jamming out in the Arabic style afaict

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

stratdax posted:

Mad Max Fury Road was in a desert, complete with dust storms, but was waaaay better looking than Dune.

I think you really just mean "more orange and teal"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

I did actually go looking for the answer, maqam is the name for the kinds of intervals they use but it's basically just a woman jamming out in the Arabic style afaict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjF1rmSV1dM

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Tuvan throat singing Sardaukar guy was my MVP

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Saw it in a normal theater, unfortunately the projection was completely terrible. The trailers were extremely dim and washed out, and the film was the same. The picture was even flickering for a while in the beginning, I guess the projector was on its last legs or uncalibrated or something. I was fighting to immerse myself and outside of a few moments I never got to. The sound wasn't particularly good either, not actively bad like the picture, but it wasn't nearly as loud as I wanted. So I didn't really get to drink in the visuals (or the audio) outside of the most bombastic, which were great even when diminished.

It's hard to have an opinion after such a bad viewing experience.

I liked it, definitely the best adaptation and near or in the LOTR class of "as good as you can reasonably expect as a fan of the original." Is it an instant classic adaptation like Jurassic Park? I don't think so, but maybe part 2 will take it to that level if they can stick it. And the way they set up the Missionarea Protectiva as a cynical thing that Paul actively chooses to exploit tells me they completely get it. In the novel it's more Jessica driving that, when she takes the Water of Life. Having Paul decide to step in to the role while she's still talking about getting offworld was a great change.

I agree with the general sentiment that it would have been nice to see more mentat stuff from Piter, and more of Gurney, Hawat, Yueh, etc in general. And the Harkonnen attack did feel very abrupt, there could have been some breathing room there. On the other hand any scene I can imagine that would flesh out the threat more, or show the characters having more doubts... just seem redundant compared to Leto's breakdown. And they would all smack of characters explaining things to each other that they all already know. There's an elegance to the way they did it that will probably hold up a lot better on rewatches. And it's a minor issue. It would be great to get some deleted scenes, though.

When Leto put the ornithopter in a dive I had a huge grin on my face. The in-your-face VFX stuff still looked awesome through the haze of a lovely picture. But I know I missed a ton of detail and nuance, and as a visual artist that was painful. Oh well, I'll just have to see it again!

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Did anyone else think Duncan was going to put his shield in the lasgun beam after he's been fatally wounded? I was almost sure he was going to do it after he started to get up again, to show the shield/lasgun interaction and go out with a heroic bang. And when he didn't it was a nice surprise, because surely they knew book fans would think of that. But they also know book fans would subsequently realize that Duncan can't go out like that, or else how does he come back in Messiah?! A neat little trick, at least for me in the moment.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The bagpipe charge scene is so good and dumb, goddamn

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Did anyone else think Duncan was going to put his shield in the lasgun beam after he's been fatally wounded? I was almost sure he was going to do it after he started to get up again, to show the shield/lasgun interaction and go out with a heroic bang. And when he didn't it was a nice surprise, because surely they knew book fans would think of that. But they also know book fans would subsequently realize that Duncan can't go out like that, or else how does he come back in Messiah?! A neat little trick, at least for me in the moment.

They probably could have shown that interaction somewhere in the battle (or at least explained it), but you can't do it there for another reason. Duncan isn't going to gamble on not triggering an atomic level explosion with his liege lord in the very next room.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

sebmojo posted:

spotted it in the credits but it turns out that woman is specifically Lisa Gerrard who some might know from Dead Can Dance. She's pretty renown

Here's an example of her work in music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hThAlY3Q2Kw

and in film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9qCEEy2XcU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

pnumoman posted:

If the movie looked too dark, you were watching on a poo poo screen. I was at a dolby theater and had no problems with the dark scenes and discerning details in them.

Yeah, agree with this. Saw it in a different theater after first viewing in IMAX. I liked the sound profile a lot better in the second smaller cinema but the dark scenes were a bit too dark, their bulb must be in need of replacement. The scenes were obviously tuned to be earthy and naturalistic, but depending on the proficiency of the theater some of that detail may be lost. On IMAX almost all of it was clear as day.

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
Saw this movie last night, and while overall I liked it, I have a couple complaints.

One thing I hated about the Lynch movies was that everything was given to you up front. A huge part of the experience of the book is learning and uncovering the lore, and Lynch sacrifices that in his adaptation.

I think overall this version does a much better job keeping that mystery - great example, my wife put together that Keynes as about to try and ride a worm (good change from the book, but I oddly liked that death scene) and was absolutely pumped at the concept, and figuring it out on her own was much more rewarding for her. But the one thing that this version gives Paul and everyone else is knowledge of the sand walk. I feel like that’s a very important mystery for the Fremen and part of why the Harkonens thought so little of their threat, believing no one could survive in worm territory. It’s also an important moment of growth and development for Paul, earning that knowledge on his own rather than being handed it. Makes him less of a passive character in my opinion.

I also had a gripe about pacing and structure. The first two thirds of the movie is tight and well constructed, great cinematography and editing. But it should have ended with Paul crashing in the desert and being stranded on a rock with his mom. It’s a complete story of downfall for their house, character development for Paul moving into an active role and starting to embrace his path, and sets up the next movie to open with finding the Fremen and the fight.

That’s honestly why it felt like the movie ended abruptly. The fight where Paul kills for the first time isn’t about besting a man and killing him, it’s about how that impacts Paul and how he reacts. His giving water for the dead cements him in the Fremen culture, and that’s an emotional beat you can’t pull off well being dragged from a previous movie. That should have been the halfway point for act 1 of the second movie.

I get why we ended there - gotta give Zendaya some screen time. But personally, I think that’s the wrong choice. Leave her in visions, save her for the next movie.

Speaking of visions, those probably could have been a little more clearly portrayed. The fact that they are unreliable branches isn’t really clear by the end, which is where Paul starts to understand that concept. It’s just confusing when he kills what should have become his friend.

End rant. Overall movie good. Movie could have been better.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

I kinda get what you're saying, but I disagree that it's not possible to bridge the emotional gap by ending before the funeral. One potential (obvious in my mind) opening to part 2 is Feyd's arena fight, and putting that back to back with Paul/Jamis will do a lot to contrast Paul's reaction, and they might even intercut Feyd's victory and celebration with Paul at Jamis' funeral. Even if they don't show that specifically I'm pretty sure we'll get Harah at least, and possibly Jamis' sons too. So Jamis still has a presence and Paul will be reacting to it. I guess we'll see, it's tough to know how smart the decision to end it where they did is without part 2. As unsatisfying as it is I think it was the best place to do it, and Paul deciding to play in to the myth to ingratiate himself is a strong character moment and will read as darkly ominous in retrospect.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I absolutely loved the idea to do the Jamis fight outside as dawn actively approached rather than at Sietch Tabr, totally epic use of screentime

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I kinda get what you're saying, but I disagree that it's not possible to bridge the emotional gap by ending before the funeral. One potential (obvious in my mind) opening to part 2 is Feyd's arena fight, and putting that back to back with Paul/Jamis will do a lot to contrast Paul's reaction, and they might even intercut Feyd's victory and celebration with Paul at Jamis' funeral. Even if they don't show that specifically I'm pretty sure we'll get Harah at least, and possibly Jamis' sons too. So Jamis still has a presence and Paul will be reacting to it. I guess we'll see, it's tough to know how smart the decision to end it where they did is without part 2. As unsatisfying as it is I think it was the best place to do it, and Paul deciding to play in to the myth to ingratiate himself is a strong character moment and will read as darkly ominous in retrospect.

Unless they dedicate way more screentime to the Harkonens in part 2, I don't think there's going to be a Feyd. They really stripped them down. Rabban was a caricature. We didn't even see anything of who Rabban would be "squeezing hard", (ie, the general population) so I think all that has to have some major screentime next movie to flesh it all out if they want anything approaching how developed they were in the book.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 24, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Also was totally rad to see at least one glimpse of the Abomination!, blue-within-babyblue. At this point Jessica changing the waters is probably my most anticipated scene.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

We'll see; Rabban doesn't squeeze until after he takes over again. Paul doesn't do that much in the rest of the novel after they get in with the Fremen, and even general audiences already have a pretty clear idea of what's going to happen there anyway. One big weakness of the other adaptations is how abruptly the climax happens, and that's partly because they cut a lot of the other second/third act stuff out (Hawat/Feyd/Fenring/Chani/Alia/Jessica/Harah/Gurney/Emperor/Irulan) to let the setup and Harkonnen attack have enough room to breathe in act 1. That's all out of the way now, so how else are they going to make a ~2.5 hour part 2? They could pad the action scenes, but even with that I think you've got a lot of runtime to work with. I'll be surprised if we don't flesh out the remaining cast a lot more, on top of adding Alia, Harah, Shaddam, and Irulan at the least. I still think we get Feyd, holding him for part 2 was something I thought was smart/likely as soon as we heard he wasn't cast in part 1.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I still think we get Feyd, holding him for part 2 was something I thought was smart/likely as soon as we heard he wasn't cast in part 1.

Yeah, I don't know why everyone is so positive he's been cut from Part 2. None of the Baron/Rabban plan makes any sense if he doesn't exist, not to mention the BG breeding plan B.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lovely Feyd was in there, didn't y'all see him in the gimp suit??

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah, I don't know why everyone is so positive he's been cut from Part 2. None of the Baron/Rabban plan makes any sense if he doesn't exist, not to mention the BG breeding plan B.

Because of how cut back and stripped down and streamlined everything that wasn't Paul and Jessica was. There's no real "plan" mentioned in the movie, they're just jerks.
But as I said maybe Part 2 will dedicate more screentime to them to flesh them out. But on the other hand, they're so drat unpleasant I think that would be a huge turn-off for audiences.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

skasion posted:

Hell yeah

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

stratdax posted:

they're so drat unpleasant

But not Feyd! Lovely Feyd...

I can't believe I just now recognized the extremely obvious parallel between Paul and Feyd as false saviors.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Seconding, thirding, nthing Javier Bardem jfk (and all the rest of the good stuff)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

We'll see; Rabban doesn't squeeze until after he takes over again. Paul doesn't do that much in the rest of the novel after they get in with the Fremen, and even general audiences already have a pretty clear idea of what's going to happen there anyway. One big weakness of the other adaptations is how abruptly the climax happens, and that's partly because they cut a lot of the other second/third act stuff out (Hawat/Feyd/Fenring/Chani/Alia/Jessica/Harah/Gurney/Emperor/Irulan) to let the setup and Harkonnen attack have enough room to breathe in act 1. That's all out of the way now, so how else are they going to make a ~2.5 hour part 2? They could pad the action scenes, but even with that I think you've got a lot of runtime to work with. I'll be surprised if we don't flesh out the remaining cast a lot more, on top of adding Alia, Harah, Shaddam, and Irulan at the least. I still think we get Feyd, holding him for part 2 was something I thought was smart/likely as soon as we heard he wasn't cast in part 1.

100% agree with this. At 2 1/2 hours to tell half the movie, there is a huge amount of runway to bring Feyd into land. it would also be a good counterbalance to the end of Dunc part uno - Edward knifehands thinks he's about to turn the desert into an army and crush everyone in front of them. Starting off Dunc part dos with the introduction of Feyd, and the 'there is another' motif would work well cinematically.

skasion posted:

The bagpipes sliding into a synth button mash is just fantastic.

although all I can think is - they folded time and space, re-entered orbit, to stab each other with machetes? Damnit Warhammer 40k get outta here

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 24, 2021

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Jenny of Oldstones posted:

Seconding, thirding, nthing Javier Bardem jfk (and all the rest of the good stuff)

One of the major upshots of them making 1-2 sequels would be tons of javier bardem

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ingmar terdman posted:

One of the major upshots of them making 1-2 sequels would be tons of javier bardem

Wanna see Stilgar use the pneumatic spice gun

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Feyd feels like a pretty safe bet for part 2 I think. Part 2 gurney and thufir strike me as pieces they could probably leave out, gurney in particular has very little going on when you've already cut the thinking jessica is the traitor thing. I strongly want fenring personally but I think he's probably too easy of a cut to resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bardem is a god tier Stilgar.

Quite an upgrade from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDHzDOWg9gw