Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Weka posted:

That's a bit rich for a guy who loves to defend the ERE.

I believe you'll find those were Romans. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

ulmont posted:

These guys absolutely used rabbit glue in their replicas and wrote a book about the whole thing: https://jhupress.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/unraveling-the-linothorax-mystery-or-how-linen-armor-came-to-dominate-our-lives/

Okay, that sounds rad as hell.

quote:

While we subjected our laminated linen patches to hundreds of carefully measured arrow tests, we also engaged in some less scientific testing of their durability. Greg’s students enthusiastically stabbed, hacked, slashed, and pounded them with various maces, axes, spears, and swords, helping us to demonstrate what kind of protection laminated linen armor would have provided. While all of this mayhem (both scientifically controlled and free-form) convinced us that our linothorax was ancient-battlefield-ready, we still felt compelled to try a real-life scenario, so Scott donned the armor and Greg shot him. And while we had confidence in our armor, our relief was still considerable when the arrowhead stuck and lodged in the armor’s outer layers, a safe distance away from flesh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Really is amazing how much effort went into things like 'having clothes to wear' before industrialisation.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This cannot be stressed enough, the methods range from very gross to literally the grossest smelling thing in the planet.

Think like “fat liquoring” and rubbing brain on things like you were applying suntan lotion gross. I encounter wet salted hides shipped in bulk in containers from time to time. They are fantastically gross.

Please do not underestimate the grossness of making leather:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmN_2VXY23M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr5OZbF0XyA

I was looking for a documentary about the tanners area in London who used human excrement and urine that ultimately was flushed into the Thames, but couldn't find it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The real wild part is wondering how people figured these methods out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably by getting piss and poo poo on their poorly-tanned leather and discovering that it was improved by it.

There wasn't any organized research, it was just trial-and-error incremental improvements over thousands of years. I'm sure some of their recipes included irrelevant stuff that they didn't realize made no difference.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There must have been some incentive for paleolithic hunter gatherers to make animal hides last longer and stay soft. Perhaps "try pissing on it" is a sensible natural urge that civilization has sadly beaten out of us.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Do you guys not piss on all your clothes?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

The Romans washed their clothes in urine on the regular. It's an effective stain remover (once it's a couple days old and decomposing into ammonia).

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Vegetable tanning is pretty obvious to suss out and was almost certainly the first process discovered.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Half of protochemistry is piss. And the other half is yeast

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Didn't alchemists try to make gold or the Philosopher's Stone from urine?

On an unrelated note, something I'm trying to find: what's that ancient Egyptian drawing of a foreign queen who's really fat and weirdly proportioned? I remember there's some controversy about whether this was an accurate illustration, perhaps of someone with a medical condition such as elephantiasis, or a political caricature.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cheese is another one of those "someone definitely tasted the curdled milk in a still-nursing calf/goat/lamb gut" things.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ScienceSeagull posted:

Didn't alchemists try to make gold or the Philosopher's Stone from urine?

It's how we first isolated phosphorus! Dude tried to refine massive quantities of piss.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ScienceSeagull posted:

On an unrelated note, something I'm trying to find: what's that ancient Egyptian drawing of a foreign queen who's really fat and weirdly proportioned? I remember there's some controversy about whether this was an accurate illustration, perhaps of someone with a medical condition such as elephantiasis, or a political caricature.

It’s the Queen of Punt on the temple of Hatshepsut at Deir el Bahri

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Thanks! And is it likely a caricature? Definitely looks quite different from the more standardized style of Egyptian art.

I'm imagining a distant future where for some reason no photographs survive, and the only visuals we have of important figures are political cartoons.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

drat as historian Hella Jeff noted, she's RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPED

Or yeah looks more like fat to me. Were they ever known to caricature anyone else though? I know foreigners would get stereotypical features so you knew exactly who had been defeated/was sending tribute. But that is a generalisation, almost the opposite of exaggerating a specific person...

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 24, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

FAUXTON posted:

Cheese is another one of those "someone definitely tasted the curdled milk in a still-nursing calf/goat/lamb gut" things.

Probably, the stomach contents of animals is a somewhat common food source.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Didn’t the Egyptians actually write down that the “Puntese” rulers kept their women fat as a status symbol? I swear I read that somewhere.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grand Fromage posted:

I employ a service.

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Grand Fromage posted:

I have cats for that.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Piss is big business. I think Vespasian tried to tax piss at one point but I forget if it worked out.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Piss is big business. I think Vespasian tried to tax piss at one point but I forget if it worked out.

"money doesn't stink"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

"money doesn't stink"

I always imagine Vespasian having big Dad Joke energy.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
My favorite tanning method is to rub fresh dog poo poo on the hide then wash it off in 5 minutes. It makes the hide super absorbent, so you can get your tanning chemicals in to it easier. You can really see the effect, it goes super spongy.

Grand Fromage posted:

I believe you'll find those were Romans. :colbert:

Of course. Greek Romans.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

were romans? They only wore togas during a full moon?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Dang this guy loved the linothorax so much he's wearing it under his jacket.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I work reconstruction iron/viking age interpretation, and just had a gig for the last week doing a viking market aid station, and when explaining the various antiseptic stuff we had like sloe thorns and linden honey, the number one question from guests in return was always "How did they figure it out?"

It comes down to absurd amounts of trial and error, really. Also, if all you do all day is work/farm/treat people, you have a lot of idle headspace to think about what would work better.

It's come to the point where researchers now think that people in the middle ages had both better concentration ability and memory than we have now. It makes sense to me, considering feud culture and family as organizational unit, you always had to know exactly who were related to any given person you met and disagreed with, because if you cheat or kill someone, the strength of their combined relatives and allies was information that could save your own family.

E: Also, no mass culture tailored for passive consumption. Netflix and HBO has gotta choked a couple budding geniuses out there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tias posted:

It's come to the point where researchers now think that people in the middle ages had both better concentration ability and memory than we have now. It makes sense to me, considering feud culture and family as organizational unit, you always had to know exactly who were related to any given person you met and disagreed with, because if you cheat or kill someone, the strength of their combined relatives and allies was information that could save your own family.

Yeah pretty much. Odin’s first piece of advice to man at large in the Havamal is “whenever you enter a room, figure out where all the exits are, it might save your life.” Literally the next 80 stanzas are about how to behave around other men so you don’t get an axe in the guts, before he moves onto the next important topic, how women are whores and you can’t trust them.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

skasion posted:

Odin’s first piece of advice to man at large in the Havamal is “whenever you enter a room, figure out where all the exits are, it might save your life.”
before he moves onto the next important topic, how women are whores and you can’t trust them.

That sounds surprisingly like the sigma-male life advice bullshit that's peddled to gullible man-children on YouTube

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tias posted:

Yaargh, hold up. ST is extremely cool and good, it's a premier source on all things saga-related and I cannot recommend it enough - but sagas are almost never reliable sources! This saga brief draws primarily on Kormakssaga, and so is heavily , though not completely, based in fiction.

I know the sagas have all sorts of fiction blended in, but - well, you know this era better than me, what's a better source for this than the sagas?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I listened to some episodes and they're pretty clear that sagas are for the most part works of fiction.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Warden posted:

That sounds surprisingly like the sigma-male life advice bullshit that's peddled to gullible man-children on YouTube

Or Hesiod, for that matter

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Warden posted:

has odin just been trying to sell protein shakes this whole time???

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Speaking of sigma males and protein shakes, did ancients have some hilarious bro science how to get massive gains?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Fish of hemp posted:

Speaking of sigma males and protein shakes, did ancients have some hilarious bro science how to get massive gains?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_soup

"it was no great thing for the Spartans to seek death in the wars in order to escape so many hardships and such a wretched life as theirs."

Not strictly gains in the biological sense but same social role of "nasty culinary ritual to signal gender and social performance"

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

This is kinda a shot in the dark, but I'm at a dead end and don't know my ancient history quite as well as I should: I've read references of other Jesus like figures in the Near East popping up with some regularity around the turn of the millennium, so much so there was almost a checklist of miracles that prospective divines went through to prove their divinity. Does anyone know of a monograph or article that describes this -- and maybe who these other people were -- in depth? Curiosity has been gnawing at me.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

BUG JUG posted:

This is kinda a shot in the dark, but I'm at a dead end and don't know my ancient history quite as well as I should: I've read references of other Jesus like figures in the Near East popping up with some regularity around the turn of the millennium, so much so there was almost a checklist of miracles that prospective divines went through to prove their divinity. Does anyone know of a monograph or article that describes this -- and maybe who these other people were -- in depth? Curiosity has been gnawing at me.

Apollonius of Tyana is the one I've seen mentioned in the past.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

skasion posted:

Yeah pretty much. Odin’s first piece of advice to man at large in the Havamal is “whenever you enter a room, figure out where all the exits are, it might save your life.” Literally the next 80 stanzas are about how to behave around other men so you don’t get an axe in the guts, before he moves onto the next important topic, how women are whores and you can’t trust them.

Seems to be a bit rich for Odin to be saying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tias posted:

I work reconstruction iron/viking age interpretation, and just had a gig for the last week doing a viking market aid station, and when explaining the various antiseptic stuff we had like sloe thorns and linden honey, the number one question from guests in return was always "How did they figure it out?"

It comes down to absurd amounts of trial and error, really. Also, if all you do all day is work/farm/treat people, you have a lot of idle headspace to think about what would work better.

E: Also, no mass culture tailored for passive consumption. Netflix and HBO has gotta choked a couple budding geniuses out there.

People are pretty good of keeping track of large social structures anyways - but now we keep a web of celebrity gossip and social media memes in our heads where people used to keep family names and epic sagas. We don't remember as much as people used to because we developed crutches for memorization like writing stuff and having books. Instead we train other mental skills. Just because it's impressive doesn't mean it's superior.