Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Baldwin didn't gently caress up by hitting his mark and following his stage directions. he hosed up by staying on after a huge portion of the crew walked out due to a series of serious firearms safety violations.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Warbadger posted:

It also seems reckless to have him pointing it directly at a camera with crew standing in his line of fire during a shoot where he not just points, but fires the gun. You don't need to do that, and even shooting blanks with a lovely plexiglass barrier in front of them introduces the potential to injure/kill somebody if something unexpected happens. Use a proper barrier or angle things slightly and keep the people out of the line of fire.

Having actual guns on the set seems to have been the least of the problems really. If everything I'm reading is true, a competent armorer would've walked off the set probably on day 1, taking the guns with them.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

uXs posted:

Having actual guns on the set seems to have been the least of the problems really. If everything I'm reading is true, a competent armorer would've walked off the set probably on day 1, taking the guns with them.

imagine this production was working with any kind of pyrotechnics or explosives

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Alec Baldwin brought his own real guns onto the set and is the first actor in movie history to have pointed them at either another actor, camera, or set person, ever, and it was because this woman was his secret girlfriend and she was kissing another dude and he saw her kissing the other dude and was going to frame them for OSHA violations but knew it wouldn't work it's all very clear I'm an expert on what happened.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

imagine this production was working with any kind of pyrotechnics or explosives

Bonanza Creek Crater. Population 0.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I heard that Alex Baldwin threatened to shoot the both of them.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Was she acting in this? Like why was he pointing it at her in the first place?

shooting the videographer at the end of the production is a long-running hollywood tradition

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Alec Baldwin was also the supervisor responsible for enforcing the rules which he also failed to do.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Alec Baldwin was also the supervisor responsible for enforcing the rules which he also failed to do.

you finally made a salient point!

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Mr Baldwin was also the management which was responsible for providing the training and resources and setting the rules which he also failed to do.

Sorry Baldwin Bros. Boy is guilty as gently caress.

Triple guilty.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Half the crew walks out due to safety concerns after a series of near-death incidents with firearms.

"well, i'm just a financial backer and star of this film, this is clearly not my concern in any way"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Mr Baldwin was also the management which was responsible for providing the training and resources and setting the rules which he also failed to do.

Sorry Baldwin Bros. Boy is guilty as gently caress.

Triple guilty.

alec baldwin was supposed to train the armorer?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I submit that his role as Boss Baby clearly demonstrates he was trained in being both a Boss and also making GBS threads his pants

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I submit that his role as Boss Baby clearly demonstrates he was trained in being both a Boss and also making GBS threads his pants

I concede this point easily

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

alec baldwin was supposed to train the armorer?

No. Because Alec Baldwin was not qualified to handle firearms but did anyway.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Baldwin didn't gently caress up by hitting his mark and following his stage directions. he hosed up by staying on after a huge portion of the crew walked out due to a series of serious safety violations.

I don't think he was supposed to be hitting any marks. Or, hopefully, using a person as a mark when aiming a firearm.

But yeah,
He could have demanded a resolution to the gun related safety violations that just resulted in the union staff walking out. He's management here.
He could have turned down the mystery gun handed to him by the wrong person in yet another clear safety violation. He had the authority to do that.
He could have taken a few minutes and checked the gun himself as per basic gun safety rules. Granted he might be completely firearms illiterate, but...
He could have demanded the gun actually be cleared by somebody more knowledgeable before shooting as the professional armorer indicated is common practice - with the barrel and ammunition checked in view of the crew so they wouldn't have to fear for their lives when the actors wave guns around while pretending to be cowboys.
He could have aimed the gun at a *not person* near the camera as per basic gun safety. If that wasn't possible, he could have demanded the people move the gently caress out of the way or a proper barrier be used.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

that isn't what 'hitting a mark' means when it comes to acting instructions

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lots of people itt assuming they'd be insubordinate as gently caress in their work environment while they have been in situations where something totally horrific could happen but didn't

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

that isn't what 'hitting a mark' means when it comes to acting instructions

It did that day, in that scene.

MrQwerty posted:

lots of people itt assuming they'd be insubordinate as gently caress in their work environment while they have been in situations where something totally horrific could happen but didn't

I mean the union walked out over less, so...

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Warbadger posted:

It did that day, in that scene.

I mean the union walked out over less, so...

how many of you are in a union

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

if a large portion of my coworkers stormed off-site due to safety concerns after a series of near-death incidents I would at the very least consider leaving as well

i feel like it would be even more likely if i was a multimillionaire A-list actor, producer and financial backer of the film.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

if a large portion of my coworkers stormed off-site due to safety concerns after a series of near-death incidents I would at the very least consider leaving as well

yeah, you'd think that, but how many of you are in a union

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Forget OSHA. Let’s get to gun safety. I remember my first 5 minutes of my gun course where they clearly taught me “just trust us it’s safe. Go ahead and point it at anyone”

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

yeah, you'd think that, but how many of you are in a union

not currently but I helped unionize one of my previous workplaces when i was in a different industry.

if you have a point you should just make it and not try and play these gotcha games

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

how many of you are in a union

Have you never told a manager to go gently caress themselves over safety concerns or even to cover your own rear end? Not even in a nice way?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I blame the union if they hadn’t walked off maybe they would have been there to keep this woman safe from Alex Baldwins murderous rage.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The most annoying part of this story is literally every comment section elsewhere online is filled with gun nut geniuses repeating the rules of gun safety and saying "never point a gun at something you don't intend to destroy" as if any of that poo poo applies in movies where people point guns at each other all the time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

wa27 posted:

elsewhere

Also here

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

wa27 posted:

The most annoying part of this story is literally every comment section elsewhere online is filled with gun nut geniuses repeating the rules of gun safety and saying "never point a gun at something you don't intend to destroy" as if any of that poo poo applies in movies where people point guns at each other all the time.

It always applies. And it sounds like movies generally follow the rule, either pointing the gun slightly off center to a safe barrier or using a proper barrier to shield people and equipment in the direction the gun will be firing. Also checking the ammunition, chamber, and barrel of the guns before firing them on set because people have been killed with both live ammunition and blanks during filming in the past.

Because you might loving kill somebody if you don't follow basic safety rules.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 24, 2021

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Warbadger posted:

Have you never told a manager to go gently caress themselves over safety concerns or even to cover your own rear end? Not even in a nice way?

Plenty of times, I went full Nick Nolte in Hotel Rwanda on the entire bullpen one morning when incoming supe had my "friend" and his crew ambush me getting out of a cleanroom 20 minutes after I was supposed to clock out over a misinterpretation of a santization procedure for a cytoxoic drug that was discussed for 3 hours and implemented at 5:45AM (I supposedly left at 6). I believe I grabbed my dick and balls through my scrubs and shook it at all of them looking like a wet dog on camera, actually.

It took a year for someone to look at my resume after that place and I ended our relationship over safety concerns.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Warbadger posted:

It always applies. And it sounds like movies generally follow the rule, either pointing the gun slightly off center to a safe barrier or using a proper barrier to shield people and equipment in the direction the gun will be firing. Also checking the ammunition, chamber, and barrel of the guns before firing them on set because people have been killed with both live ammunition and blanks during filming in the past.

Because you might loving kill somebody if you don't follow basic safety rules.

Almost every gun movie has a scene or two where someone puts a gun to some else's (or their own) temple.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

wa27 posted:

Almost every gun movie has a scene or two where someone puts a gun to some else's (or their own) temple.

CGI

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

Plenty of times, I went full Nick Nolte in Hotel Rwanda on the entire bullpen one morning when incoming supe had my "friend" and his crew ambush me getting out of a cleanroom 20 minutes after I was supposed to clock out over a misinterpretation of a santization procedure for a cytoxoic drug that was discussed for 3 hours and implemented at 5:45AM (I supposedly left at 6). I believe I grabbed my dick and balls through my scrubs and shook it at all of them looking like a wet dog on camera, actually.

It took a year for someone to look at my resume after that place and I ended our relationship over safety concerns.

So why is it so hard to believe others might do the same? Do you think it would have may have gone better for you if you'd been a high level manager who they literally could not fire because doing so would make whatever project you were working on impossible to complete?

wa27 posted:

How many times do you suppose they fire the gun or have blanks loaded in those shots?

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 24, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

wa27 posted:

and those are almost always rubber guns

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Warbadger posted:

So why is it so hard to believe others might do the same? Do you think it would have may have gone better for you if you'd been a high level manager who they literally could not fire because you are also irreplaceable?

poo poo rolls downhill until OSHA is involved. There was a cytotoxic drug spill at that plant created by an overpressure disconnecting the line from the pump manifold to the pressurized reservoir because the dude running the line insisted on keeping a manual valve open (a manual valve that was, in hindsight, the point of failure and had a change request to be automatically operated by an engineer thjat quit 3 years prior and the CR was dropped to the bottom of the pile). I had just come back from lunch and had taken over line operator, was talking to the dude running the line then there was a pop and everything in the RABS was wet. It took 15 minutes to get approval to start *plating people to leave the room* after multiple screaming fights over a phone about procedure, specifically that we don't do any of that. Everyone was informed if they didn't follow procedure they would be fired, fix the good drugs and then get out in an orderly fashion.

Never heard poo poo from OSHA, so they pretended with the customer that the run was bad from compounding and never had to hand anyone video.

1) don't work for drug dealers;
2) if you're not in a union you can stand up for whatever you want, most of your coworkers aren't going to back you up because they have kids and poo poo

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 24, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Forget OSHA. Let’s get to gun safety. I remember my first 5 minutes of my gun course where they clearly taught me “just trust us it’s safe. Go ahead and point it at anyone”

If you read through this thread (and theres an actual set worker posting about in the Trump thread as well, with a few long write ups on this topic), you'll find that actors on a set are told specifically do NOT do anything with the gun.
They are explicitly not supposed to be opening it to check or do various other things that you or I might with our own weapons to normally check for safety specifically because they might unintentionally cause (or perhaps intentionally, who knows) cause this sort of issue.

Had he been seen doing this on any other reasonable set, he would have been marched right off it immediately given a what-for about it. He literally WASN'T supposed to do what you think he should have done here.

Now, granted, that is under NORMAL set conditions where an actor is handed a firearm by the armorer, who should be properly trained, etc.

But if he was acting under the assumption that 'ok this is what I've been taught, and I've been told, this is safe, then I shouldn't touch it other than to do my scene'...

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 24, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm just... not going to have a take until the information is out. poo poo sure is hosed, though.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

2) if you're not in a union you can stand up for whatever you want, most of your coworkers aren't going to back you up because they have kids and poo poo

Worth pointing out that Baldwin is a senior member of his own union. In fact he was named SAG Ambassador in 2012.

https://sagaftra.foundation/2012/01/alec-baldwin-named-sag-foundation-ambassador/

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Worth pointing out that Baldwin is a senior member of his own union. In fact he was named SAG Ambassador in 2012.

https://sagaftra.foundation/2012/01/alec-baldwin-named-sag-foundation-ambassador/

everyone gets it, you want alec baldwin to go to jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

If you read through this thread (and theres an actual set worker posting about in the Trump thread as well, with a few long write ups on this topic), you'll find that actors on a set are told specifically do NOT do anything with the gun.
They are explicitly not supposed to be opening it to check or do various other things that you or I might with our own weapons to normally check for safety specifically because they might unintentionally cause (or perhaps intentionally, who knows) cause this sort of issue.

Had he been seen doing this on any other reasonable set, he would have been marched right off it immediately given a what-for about it. He literally WASN'T supposed to do what you think he should have done here.

Now, granted, that is under NORMAL set conditions where an actor is handed a firearm by the armorer, who should be properly trained, etc.

But if he was acting under the assumption that 'ok this is what I've been taught, and I've been told, this is safe, then I shouldn't touch it other than to do my scene'...

Hollywood running by its own rules in contravention to both workplace and gun safety is exactly why someone is dead right now.