Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

poo poo rolls downhill until OSHA is involved. There was a cytotoxic drug spill at that plant created by an overpressure disconnecting the line from the pump manifold to the pressurized reservoir because the dude running the line insisted on keeping a manual valve open. I had just come back from lunch and had taken over line operator, was talking to the dude running the line then there was a pop and everything in the RABS was wet. It took 15 minutes to get approval to start *plating people to leave the room* after multiple screaming fights over a phone about procedure, specifically that we don't do any of that. Everyone was informed if they didn't follow procedure they would be fired, fix the good drugs and then get out in an orderly fashion.

Never heard poo poo from OSHA, so they pretended with the customer that the run was bad from compounding and never had to hand anyone video.

1) don't work for drug dealers;
2) if you're not in a union you can stand up for whatever you want, most of your coworkers aren't going to back you up because they have kids and poo poo

Alec Baldwin isn't getting fired from the cowboy movie he's upper management for and also starring in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

everyone gets it, you want alec baldwin to go to jail

no i don't. i think he hosed up here, but not criminally.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Hollywood running by its own rules in contravention to both workplace and gun safety is exactly why someone is dead right now.

Warbadger posted:

Alec Baldwin isn't getting fired from the cowboy movie he's upper management for and also starring in.

this is exactly why OSHA exists and why Hollywood needs to abide by rules, and if this is the moratorium on guns that The Crow should have caused then good.

2021 is a lot different than 1993, and everyone has been riding high on AND IT NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN until now, which is an inevitability.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
actual murderer alec baldwin

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

there hasn't been a gun death on set since '93 while a bunch of stuntpeople have gotten killed in completely preventable ways during that time. seems to me that the issue here isn't the guns but the lack of competent oversight for stunts in general.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't want to brag, but I have some experience with watching detective shows on tv(for example, Scherlock Homes, you might have heard about him? Colombo is another famous one ). And to me all of this looks like the gun guy on set orchestrated the whole thing to kill the camera women and make it look like an accident. They probably had an affair, which she threatened to disclose to his wife or they are half-siblings and he wanted to get a coheir out of the way. I hope the police is looking into this.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

If you read through this thread (and theres an actual set worker posting about in the Trump thread as well, with a few long write ups on this topic), you'll find that actors on a set are told specifically do NOT do anything with the gun.
They are explicitly not supposed to be opening it to check or do various other things that you or I might with our own weapons to normally check for safety specifically because they might unintentionally cause (or perhaps intentionally, who knows) cause this sort of issue.

Had he been seen doing this on any other reasonable set, he would have been marched right off it immediately given a what-for about it. He literally WASN'T supposed to do what you think he should have done here.

Now, granted, that is under NORMAL set conditions where an actor is handed a firearm by the armorer, who should be properly trained, etc.

But if he was acting under the assumption that 'ok this is what I've been taught, and I've been told, this is safe, then I shouldn't touch it other than to do my scene'...

Right, because somebody else is usually doing that part for the actors. The armor or prop master should be making sure the guns are clear and the shots should be set up so they aren't pointing guns at a person when they fire them. This doesn't mean they aren't following firearms safety rules - it means they're supposed to be following those same rules as part of established safety procedures. Keep in mind the actual, professional armorer's video is saying it's standard procedure to do an on-set safety check for guns before the shot so nobody on the set has to be worried about the guns and there is never a question like "is this the gun the armorer was drunkenly shooting coyotes with last night??"

The problem is when you don't see the safety check performed and the shot is set up so you are firing a gun directly at a crowd of people, then you probably should be ensuring the basic rules are followed even if it means doing it yourself before you shoot somebody dead. "I did this patently and obviously dangerous thing without following any established safety procedures because this random idiot told me it'd be fine" still makes you responsible.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 24, 2021

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

(at the gun store) I’ll have one cold gun and one regular gun

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

This is a false flag operation to get republicans to start to talk about gun safety. Well played mr Baldwin

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
next person to skip twenty pages to point out "Alec Baldwin should have followed Gun Safety and not pointed it at someone" is getting a thousand years of swirlies

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

11:45 pm Cold Gun (1991) ★ ★ After being implicated in a deadly on-set accident, an aging actor uncovers a deeper conspiracy in this psychological thriller. Stars Alec Baldwin.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Is that the one where he purposefully shoots the CGI version of Angela Lansbery but she comes back as a ghost to solve the mystery using an OSHA handbook that somehow pertains to movie set guidelines?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

an OSHA handbook that somehow pertains to movie set guidelines?

So... just a normal OSHA handbook?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Warbadger posted:

So... just a normal OSHA handbook?

MrQwerty posted:

poo poo rolls downhill until OSHA is involved. There was a cytotoxic drug spill at that plant created by an overpressure disconnecting the line from the pump manifold to the pressurized reservoir because the dude running the line insisted on keeping a manual valve open (a manual valve that was, in hindsight, the point of failure and had a change request to be automatically operated by an engineer that quit 3 years prior and the CR was dropped to the bottom of the pile).

Guess who got in trouble for that, it wasn't operators or OSHA.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
How many hundreds of times has Alec Baldwin been handed a gun on a movie set without incident? Why would he think twice about it? From what I've gathered so far, there's at least a half dozen other people at multiple different points of the process who are responsible for ensuring this exact thing doesn't happen. There were, necessarily, several gargantuan gently caress ups here, none of which are attributable to Baldwin without very tenuous reasoning.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

Guess who got in trouble for that, it wasn't operators or OSHA.

Based on all the movie set related incidents listed on the OSHA website I'm gonna stick with the idea that normal OSHA guidelines already apply to working conditions on a movie set.

oh dope posted:

How many hundreds of times has Alec Baldwin been handed a gun on a movie set without incident? Why would he think twice about it? From what I've gathered so far, there's at least a half dozen other people at multiple different points of the process who are responsible for ensuring this exact thing doesn't happen. There were, necessarily, several gargantuan gently caress ups here, none of which are attributable to Baldwin without very tenuous reasoning.

Really seems like he should have been familiar with the normal safety procedures given how many times he dealt with them, then. You'd think he'd have noticed that all these normal things weren't happening on his set - especially after a bunch of people walked off it for that exact reason. But yeah, I'm sure complacency born of familiarity played a role in the negligence.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 24, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

oh dope posted:

Well according to one poster, one of those aspects was literally that as 'co-writer of the script' that made him more responsible. So. Pretty heavy stuff.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

Well according to one poster, one of those aspects was literally that as 'co-writer of the script' that made him more responsible. So. Pretty heavy stuff.

it was the several gun discharges that preceded this and the walkoff of the camera staff immediately prior that should have maybeeee tipped him off that this production was dangerous

edit: seriously try and keep up. you could post less and read more maybe

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 24, 2021

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Big Beef City posted:

Do the police know? Should one of us reach out?

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?
The child and widow Hutchins accept the Oscar for best cinematography (now known as the Halyna Hutchins award) to a standing ovation. Coming up next, music from the movie 'Vivo' Featuring Lin Manuel Miranda and Gloria Estefan.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Mr_Companie posted:

The child and widow Hutchins accept the Oscar for best cinematography (now known as the Halyna Hutchins award) to a standing ovation. Coming up next, music from the movie 'Vivo' Featuring Lin Manuel Miranda and Gloria Estefan.

The wrong is righted, balance is restored

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

it was the several gun discharges that preceded this and the walkoff of the camera staff immediately prior that should have maybeeee tipped him off that this production was dangerous

edit: seriously try and keep up. you could post less and read more maybe

What you might not have noticed in your rush to anger over the best actor in the universe, Alec Baldwin whom I clearly love with all my life, is that in my post I said "One aspect". Which it was when posted. The idea that as 'co-script writer' made him more culpable. That's what was posted. That's what I said here.

Try and keep up. You could post less and think more maybe.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

What you might not have noticed in your rush to anger over the best actor in the universe, Alec Baldwin whom I clearly love with all my life, is that in my post I said "One aspect". Which it was when posted. The idea that as 'co-script writer' made him more culpable. That's what was posted. That's what I said here.

Try and keep up. You could post less and think more maybe.

the point of that post was that he clearly had sway and power over the production, being a producer and the star of the movie. it's like you're actively trying to not understand the situation here.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I’m going to fly out and visit the police station to present our concerns. So far I have:
It may have been a golden age mystery-style murder where a third party deliberately switched out the guns, and
Alec Baldwin is a producer on the movie and he has a screenwriting credit as well.
Am I missing anything?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

it seems pretty clear from what we already have that the AD and Armorer are the only ones likely to be criminally liable. The rest of the producers are still responsible for creating a dangerous situation with no qualified experts in the first place. And Alec Baldwin is a loving rear end in a top hat for continuing to shoot after the union walked off due to safety concerns.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I’ll kick his rear end

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I’m going to fly out and visit the police station to present our concerns. So far I have:
It may have been a golden age mystery-style murder where a third party deliberately switched out the guns, and
Alec Baldwin is a producer on the movie and he has a screenwriting credit as well.
Am I missing anything?

make sure not to eat beforehand so you're really hungry while solving the case

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
did we ever get a real confirmation about the walkout being safety related? The TikTok from that prop guy that went in to it mentioned there had been a walkout because of long hours

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just another red october for actor alec baldwin

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

did we ever get a real confirmation about the walkout being safety related? The TikTok from that prop guy that went in to it mentioned there had been a walkout because of long hours

Long hours are a safety issue

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Long hours are a safety issue

Lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MrQwerty posted:

yeah, you'd think that, but how many of you are in a union

how is "but you aren't in a union" any sort of own here?

yes, most of us aren't in unions because the power of employees to organize for the benefits of wages, work conditions, and safety has been systematically stripped from us. and so doing anything pro-active for our own safety might end in being fired rather than changes to the unsafe system.

But gently caress, if my boss tells me to play russian roulette with something I can directly identify as dangerous, I'm still gonna tell them to gently caress off and take the consequences. Sorry if you didn't, and your coworkers playing grab-rear end with toxic waste barrels turned you into Two-Face.

The real fucker is that unions are good at fostering communication between workers, so that people start identifying the not directly identifiable dangerous situations. Tons of accidents, probably including this movie gun one, happen because worker A is doing something that kills worker B because information doesn't flow.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

https://www.osha.gov/worker-fatigue

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Aardvark! posted:

The union cited safety concerns yes.

we also have this

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/23/1048750191/rust-alec-baldwin-set-shooting

quote:

A crew member who was alarmed by the misfires told a unit production manager in a text message, "We've now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe," according to a copy of the message reviewed by the newspaper. The New York Times also reported that there were at least two earlier accidental gun discharges; it cited three former crew members.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ty that's what I wanted to see, had only seen tweets just saying poo poo. :thunk:

seems like a very well run production

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
none of this would have happened if they simply made it a science fiction/fantasy laser pew pew film

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There's a reason why in some industries there are strict limits on the number of hours you can work in a day, week, or month.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

oh dope posted:

remember how in action movies up to the mid 2000s everyone kept fingers on the trigger always? wonder how many misfires your average movie had

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

remember how in 90s/early 2000s action movies everyone kept fingers on the trigger always? wonder how many misfires your average movie had

Probably more. Then again, you don't have to keep any ammunition in the prop gun except for those brief shots where someone is actively shooting it. No ammo, no negligent discharge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think we can all agree this means great things for Rust sales and really isn't that the only thing that matters? Gotta watch me that movie that someone died in the making of. Hey maybe they'll get one of those eulogy thingies.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 24, 2021