Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

punishedkissinger posted:

i was gonna ask if there was a plug. thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i had to piss on my first go around so i missed it, but the scene i really appreciated on the second go around was the fremen at the outpost doing a tea ceremony with their own spit

what a great inclusion

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

This looks insanely dangerous to other people too right?

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Again, having not seen the movie yet:

Part 2 should start with the dinner scene. Then it should focus on the Harkonnens, with Feyd as the protagonist in general. The revelation to them that Muad'Dib is Paul should come towards the end of the movie. There's no way that Feyd could be removed from the story, he's essential to the plot.

Villeneuve should also do what Lynch's team was too cowardly to do: introduce Feyd to the fight with Paul with full dong exposed.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

i was gonna ask if there was a plug. thank you.

atreides battle plug

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

God created Arrakis to test the faithful

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i watched this on Friday with a friend who was completely unfamiliar with Dune and he liked it enough to go out and buy the book the next day.

Ornithopters kicked rear end and i desperately want a too expensive articulated model of one

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

what were those blimp-car hovercraft that they used in the attack?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I just spent a stupid amount of money for a fine edition of Dune. I have no regrets.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A person unfamiliar with the book mentioned the Guild ships looking like worms. It never would have occurred to me but yeah they kinda do.

I at first was a little sad to not see the folding space scene but lol at the Lynch version maybe it is best to just scrap it. Go go gadget vagina beam!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

what were those blimp-car hovercraft that they used in the attack?

Dropships. It's where the Harkonnen soldiers debark from after they land and the Sardaukar use their suspensor belts to drop out of one behind the Atreides soldiers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

I at first was a little sad to not see the folding space scene but lol at the Lynch version maybe it is best to just scrap it. Go go gadget vagina beam!

I bet they're saving the folding space scene for when house corrino travels to dune

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

I just spent a stupid amount of money for a fine edition of Dune. I have no regrets.

praytell which version, fine gune?

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
not an oz of excess body fat between our desert lovers and I am here for it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I bought my brother the Folio Society Book of the New Sun and I'm very much considering getting their Dune.

I bet they're saving the folding space scene for when house corrino travels to dune

I bet he thought it was unnecessary to show since it gives the guild explanation as it shows a heighliner floating over Caladan with the emperor's herald ship exiting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I bought my brother the Folio Society Book of the New Sun and I'm very much considering getting their Dune.

I bet he thought it was unnecessary to show since it gives the guild explanation as it shows a heighliner floating over Caladan with the emperor's herald ship exiting.

I have the Folio edition of Dune and it's pretty loving gorgeous.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

praytell which version, fine gune?

The long-awaited Centipede Press version.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

This film had too many water fat actors. D- for emersion, will not watch again.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

General Booshit › [Dune Thread] on Arrakis you shower by rubbing your rear end with sand

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

The long-awaited Centipede Press version.

Hell yeah, dude

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

on my second go around i realized that the "a dream is a message from beyond" or whatever noise text thing that happens before the WB logo isn't just some part of the pre-film dolby sound advertisment, but prolly some weird ixian or tleilaxu poo poo that villaneuve just threw in to be a dope rear end weirdo

It sounds like Sardaukar.

If they all have personal shields, they would just be comically tossed aside. Alternatively, it seems like thopter blades only go up and down, so you could get pretty close and be OK. It also seems like they generate lift instead of thrust (from the lack of billowing dust plumes when landing) so there's probably not a lot of risk of flying debris.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I want an ornithopter flight sim so bad.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i only noticed after seeing it in the theater but at one point Gurney is leafing through a little book which i think is meant to be the Orange Catholic bible and he maybe quotes scripture at the Atreides sitdown meeting. the details man, gosh.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

I want an ornithopter flight sim so bad.

Oh man I just realized we're going to get more Dune games.

Also I really hope the Bene Gesserit TV show doesn't take any creative notes from Brian Herbert.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

Oh man I just realized we're going to get more Dune games.

Also I really hope the Bene Gesserit TV show doesn't take any creative notes from Brian Herbert.

Pretty sure they agreed to do the show to appease Brian to keep him totally out of any movie decision making

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i wanted to shout MOO-AD DEE-BUH when the mouse appeared but i was too cowardly.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I'm not a big shot movie/prestige television writer. But if I was going to do a prequel to Dune series, and have it appeal to modern audiences, while providing something new to the series, I'd have the plot revolve around two factions of Bene Gesserits (one being terfs), and the presumed Kwisatz Haderach being non-binary. Is this :yikes: territory or could someone who isn't me pull it off in a meaningful way? Certainly not Brian or Kevin, but someone? I can't imagine it being any worse than anything Frank Herbert actually wrote in the (only 6) Dune novels?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I've only seen it one in the theater so far but it looked like the guild folding space was happening INSIDE the heighliner, like it's a wormhole tube instead of a giant carrier

cyonide
Sep 29, 2021
TomHolland keeping anything a secret….bwahah

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I've only seen it one in the theater so far but it looked like the guild folding space was happening INSIDE the heighliner, like it's a wormhole tube instead of a giant carrier

Wow I totally missed this. loving SEX is what that is.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Yeah that was the impression; you just step to another point in time-space.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

The baron bumped his foot on the table as he floated down to Leto. For some reason that's the moment that stands out the most a couple days after seeing it. Maybe it's the only bit of relatability in the movie. Who among us has not stubbed their toe?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So is that ship in orbit of 2 planets or are there two ships joined in the middle? The latter seems less problematic, orbital-mechanics-wise

stratdax posted:

The baron bumped his foot on the table as he floated down to Leto. For some reason that's the moment that stands out the most a couple days after seeing it. Maybe it's the only bit of relatability in the movie. Who among us has not stubbed their toe?

His feet just skimming the ground is the intended effect from the book

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

yeah, that looks like a gas giant behind it. this is based on no evidence but i'm imagining the heighliner somehow occupying two spots in space at once via navigator juju and ships that pass through the tube go from one place to the other. or maybe individual liners just function as portals with the navigator making sure the ships passing through end up where they're meant to. what a weirding way to travel.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
more like i need a stillsuit so I can watch the whole thing in one go am i rite?!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrPossum posted:

more like i need a stillsuit so I can watch the whole thing in one go am i rite?!

More like DrTinyBladder

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my other stillsuit is an empty paper cup.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Does the book ever state that there's more than one heighliner? Couldn't it just be one single heighliner that does everything?
This is an Orthodox Six thread, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The Bloop posted:

I don't get this though. This shot is after the signet ceremony which Mohiam attended, and it shows the BG entourage returning to Caladan for the Gom Jabbar scene. Why would Mohiam leave the space above Caladan after the ceremony just to come right back a day or two later? Especially given how expensive space travel is?