Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

remigious posted:

Yeah I was looking up the steam deck today and that is a little rich for my blood!

Yeah the $399 steam deck is going to be the only machine in that price range that's gonna do it for a while I think.

The problem is PS2 on android kinda sucks so even these machines with the SD855 / 865s could maybe do it but the emulators are garbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't understand how come nobody start an open source project on Patreon porting ps2 emulator to Qualcomm chips. It would be easily the most popular emulator project. Is emulation programming really that hard?

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't understand how come nobody start an open source project on Patreon porting ps2 emulator to Qualcomm chips. It would be easily the most popular emulator project. Is emulation programming really that hard?

if this post is a troll, bravo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I see you also don't understand how software development works

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I picked up a 351p since I was interested in playing some GBA games, and I'm enjoying this a lot so far. It's a tad small for my hands to hold entirely comfortably, but other than that, I like the form factor, it looks nice (both the screen and the overall machine), all the buttons feel good, and it was really easy to set up 351ELEC, load ROMs in, scrape (got a bundle with a wifi dongle), and use in general. Also I have an hour-long commute each day on the bus, so it's been fun to fill that by playing Metroid Zero Mission.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Photos of the Anbernic RG552 are getting around, the actual 351P/M successor, it looks like a bigger 351 except they've finally dropped the logo from the screen bezel. RGC is theorising it's going to be up to everything but Gamecube and is probably going to be best as a PSP-focused thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Passing until I can get something that powerful in 4:3. Looks nice though, glad PSP people are getting something for them.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I've had the RGB10 Max for a month or so now and I'm really enjoying it. I've been playing FF6 and Metroid Fusion on it. Mostly it's great, it's comfortable to hold and I love that I can use Retroachievements on it thanks to the WIFI. My only complaint so far is that FF6 has some audio issues but I think that's an issue with the emulator core/settings I'm using over the handheld.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This is not going to be much help because it was so long ago but I know that I did fix the FF6 audio issues by fiddling with the cores and settings.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Rolo posted:

Passing until I can get something that powerful in 4:3. Looks nice though, glad PSP people are getting something for them.

Might be worth looking into what’s been dubbed the Retroid Pocket 2+

It’s a replacement PCB that’s plops into the shell of, well, the Retroid Pocket 2.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

n4 posted:

I've had the RGB10 Max for a month or so now and I'm really enjoying it. I've been playing FF6 and Metroid Fusion on it. Mostly it's great, it's comfortable to hold and I love that I can use Retroachievements on it thanks to the WIFI. My only complaint so far is that FF6 has some audio issues but I think that's an issue with the emulator core/settings I'm using over the handheld.

I’ve posted it somewhere before but FF6 is like my gaming emulation tester. I’ve always had issues with audio crackle in that game on nearly every device I have.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I don't know if it will fax all of the crackles and such but there is a romhack that improves the audio, says it also helps with framerate drops. https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/657/

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Looks like the powkiddy RGB 10 max2 came out today: https://powkiddy.com/products/powki...-childrens-gift
It doesn’t look super exciting to me though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

remigious posted:

Looks like the powkiddy RGB 10 max2 came out today: https://powkiddy.com/products/powki...-childrens-gift
It doesn’t look super exciting to me though.

Yeah not a fan tbh

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Guess it’s just a different shell and maybe an upgraded screen? Doesn’t look too worthwhile, I prefer the older shell over this one looks wise.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Its cheap looking

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

not sure how it looks cheap compared to any of the other non metal devices, is there something i'm not seeing? the shoulder button layout is certainly a plus imo.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's the shape. The grips bring to mind flea market famiclones and lcd games

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It looks like someone saw a Wonderswan Color in a Hollywood Video once and tried to draw it by memory

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

LODGE NORTH posted:

It looks like someone saw a Wonderswan Color in a Hollywood Video once and tried to draw it by memory

Oh man, that is the most apt description to this unfortunate looking thing.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I can kinda see it making it look cheap but man adding some grips to a device like that makes it so much more comfortable to hold. I bought that satisfye grip for my switch and it made a night and day difference on comfort for me.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

all i'm reading is that it doesnt take design cues from our lord and savior Apple Inc. therefor cheap

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGk3keZm1XY

LODGE NORTH posted:

Might be worth looking into what’s been dubbed the Retroid Pocket 2+

It’s a replacement PCB that’s plops into the shell of, well, the Retroid Pocket 2.
It's gonna be real funny and real sad when a frankenstein Retroid Pocket 2 with the 2+ replacement PCB becomes the only next generation retro portable with a 4:3 screen

CRAYON posted:

not sure how it looks cheap compared to any of the other non metal devices, is there something i'm not seeing? the shoulder button layout is certainly a plus imo.

flavor.flv posted:

It's the shape. The grips bring to mind flea market famiclones and lcd games

CRAYON posted:

all i'm reading is that it doesnt take design cues from our lord and savior Apple Inc. therefor cheap
Yeah it takes design cues from the Gizmondo instead

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This thing is so drat expensive.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm guessing the answer to my question is always going to be "wait for a new model or pricedrop" but is an Anbernic 351MP worth the money right now? And as a European what are my options other than AliExpress or hoping that I pick the right model from Amazons autotranslated mess?

I know I am probably going to hate myself if I get a device I can't emulate N64 games at a decent framerate on it, even though my main emulation is going to be stuff like Amiga, GB/GBA and the like.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

evilmiera posted:

I'm guessing the answer to my question is always going to be "wait for a new model or pricedrop" but is an Anbernic 351MP worth the money right now? And as a European what are my options other than AliExpress or hoping that I pick the right model from Amazons autotranslated mess?

I know I am probably going to hate myself if I get a device I can't emulate N64 games at a decent framerate on it, even though my main emulation is going to be stuff like Amiga, GB/GBA and the like.

N64 is a bitch-and-a-half to emulate to begin with, I don't think any of the current crop of affordable devices handle the library handily. And, at least in the US Ali or Amazon are your only good options. Reportedly most/all of the other storefronts are just dropshipping from Ali anyways.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
The new RGB Max looks fine. If I didn't already have the RGB10 Max I'd probably get the Max 2 for the grips. It really makes a huge difference in comfort to have a bit more girth and shape.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

N64 is a bitch-and-a-half to emulate to begin with, I don't think any of the current crop of affordable devices handle the library handily. And, at least in the US Ali or Amazon are your only good options. Reportedly most/all of the other storefronts are just dropshipping from Ali anyways.

Yeah, I just never bought anything off Ali and I presume I am going to get smacked with an import fee. As mentioned, I would grudgingly use Amazon but I legit feel like half the stuff on offer there is misleading in some way and I legit don't know why some devices cost more than others. Anbernics site on Ali at least gives me the right specs listed.

Like I said, probably won't even emulate N64 games for a while anyway, I just know I am gonna kick myself down the line once I realize I need a new device.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, I just never bought anything off Ali and I presume I am going to get smacked with an import fee. As mentioned, I would grudgingly use Amazon but I legit feel like half the stuff on offer there is misleading in some way and I legit don't know why some devices cost more than others. Anbernics site on Ali at least gives me the right specs listed.

Like I said, probably won't even emulate N64 games for a while anyway, I just know I am gonna kick myself down the line once I realize I need a new device.

You won’t get a fee if you are in the US. I never have.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
Ali lets you choose shipping from Spain which should avoid import fees from the post, if you’re in the customs union, I would assume.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Hi! I'm new to this sort of thing, sorry if this is a real newbie question. I'd like to have something that emulates GBA, GBC, SNES, NES, especially GBA, with a nice backlit screen. I liked my PSP for it in theory but then in practice it either stretched out the pixels or had it too big or too small :argh: so something that has nice, pixel-perfect scaling that I can actually see would be nice.

It's not like I'd say no to having PS1 emulation or something, but 2D stuff is my main concern and I'm okay with not having that if it means a difference of $40 or whatever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tiny Myers posted:

Hi! I'm new to this sort of thing, sorry if this is a real newbie question. I'd like to have something that emulates GBA, GBC, SNES, NES, especially GBA, with a nice backlit screen. I liked my PSP for it in theory but then in practice it either stretched out the pixels or had it too big or too small :argh: so something that has nice, pixel-perfect scaling that I can actually see would be nice.

It's not like I'd say no to having PS1 emulation or something, but 2D stuff is my main concern and I'm okay with not having that if it means a difference of $40 or whatever.
If GBA is your highest priority then the Anbernic RG351P/M is pretty much perfect because of the screen. You'll end up having to non-integer scale (or leave tiny and unscaled) SNES and other poo poo that's natively 4:3 though. The RG351MP/V are pretty much perfect for those, but then you're forced to settle on the non-4:3 stuff.

All of the above will theoretically handle PS1, although I use a hacked Vita for that so I don't know if there are specific titles that are known to cause problems or whatever.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

evilmiera posted:

I presume I am going to get smacked with an import fee.

Don't presume. European VAT law changed this year. Now, everything that came externally -- regardless of value -- that has not charged VAT preemptively will have to be paid so on delivery (plus extra local fees of whoever entity is handling the charge). For this sort of stuff, pick online sellers who handle the VAT charges for you.

Regarding on what device you may want, you probably want to look into the MiSTer FPGA. That poo poo cycle accurately reproduces every single micro and non-micro computer from the 80's, early 90's, plus every arcade board and console that is not the N64, and should be of interest for anyone who wants to play Amiga and DOS stuff, or GBA in 2 player mode.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you’re in the UK, Ali will add on VAT at checkout. I assume it’ll do the same for taxes in the rest of Europe.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

njsykora posted:

If you’re in the UK, Ali will add on VAT at checkout. I assume it’ll do the same for taxes in the rest of Europe.

Yeah, luckily not in the UK, but thanks for the heads up. I suppose I could try the Spain delivery option.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
You guys get the game choice paralysis with these devices just like with your Steam collection? I’ll play a game for a couple minutes and just bounce around before just giving up playing anything. :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

You guys get the game choice paralysis with these devices just like with your Steam collection? I’ll play a game for a couple minutes and just bounce around before just giving up playing anything. :(

Put less games on it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Put less games on it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

njsykora posted:

Photos of the Anbernic RG552 are getting around, the actual 351P/M successor, it looks like a bigger 351 except they've finally dropped the logo from the screen bezel. RGC is theorising it's going to be up to everything but Gamecube and is probably going to be best as a PSP-focused thing.

I'm just now clicking this, I didn't before because I thought it was that video with it running Android. This looks great -- it's literally just the RG35x series blown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Disappointing Pie posted:

Actually kinda, yeah. I add a few things at a time to the Favorites folder and don't leave it until I feel ready.

Also I think I'm just older and my brain is shittier than when I was a teenager who would kill for one of these.