Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
This is far too large design change to make into Increlution, but as a another evolution on the idea:

How about runs always happening in a single chapter? That is, when previous chapter is finished player gets option to move to next chapter or to repeat the current chapter. Player could later go back to earlier chapters to prestige (play them again) for better / different results, enabling better / different results in later chapters too. This would provide better support for branching storylines too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

ErIog posted:

A good example of this is the apples. They replace berries, and so if you rush to them too early it can hurt you because you'll be wasting a ton of time gathering them.
I'm not sure this is even that strategic of a choice. Most of the times when you encounter something hard to do in the game it's actually good because it will quickly increase your ability to do that thing and it will no longer be hard anymore.

The exceptions are when some micromanagement could get you through a temporary roadblock and lead to greater overall game length, but those situations seem rare. So far for me when I break through a wall it just leads to another wall, so it doesn't matter much what wall I choose to wail on first, because you'll eventually need whatever skill you tried to skip anyway.

This could change if there were more choice in the "+25% to [skill]" items over time where different paths left you with different boosts, though then you're still waiting through 10-20 minutes of the same old stuff to test out the differences between decisions.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Rynoto posted:

Bitburner has started getting regularly updates again if you're into coding and puzzle-like idlers. With enough tinkering you can automate almost everything and truly everything after certain resets.

Evolve Idle is 'close' to getting a big 1.2 update if you ever tried that.

Those are my two currently.

seconding evolve, it's pretty much better than kittens already

though i always play with accelerated time because it feels a bit slow like kittens without it (been playing more when i found out you can close the game tab and briefly set your system time 12 hours ahead to get it back)

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I am up to chapter three in Increlution and there is only one real choice I have seen so far. That is if you want to cook cake or not. The health to time crafted ratio of cake is terrible compared to bread, so in my view you should only bake cakes if you need them to get through the ship fights. When you don't need it for that anymore it is good to cut it out of your rotation. But keeping it in it will be good for your cooking experience. So cutting it out only means that other skills get more experience compared to cooking.

All in all there seem to be little strategy involved in the game. It has a nice little routine showing numbers going down that makes my brain happy so I like it even so.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 23, 2021

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

What do I want to spend my plat on in Elethor? I’m just finishing up the wasteland.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Drake and Drone up to 20 levels will help the most, then up to you if you wanna start saving Plat to keep leveling them up or you wanna raise the other companions to 20

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Heh, Increlution was really close on forcing me to actually decide between combinations of three things, but there is actually enough resources available to get all three. By the time I was able to leave the area I could also get the extra resources, so no reason not to take all of them...

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Increlotion fell off for me near the end of the second chapter. Once you start automating most of the second chapter it takes a long time to get through a loop to find out if something was worth it or not. And you get the overlap of resources which is annoying. Like I need Bread and Cake for fighting the wolves early on, but do I really need Bread anymore? Automating boat hunting means you burn a good 5-15 seconds filling up hide before you move on or you don't craft the sail/boots. What finally got me is trying to figure out which path near the end made the most sense, it was just too drat annoying when you're on 15+ minute runs of automation each time and you can't reset manually.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
Regarding Increlution, I’m in chapter 3, I believe. I’m curious if this game ever fundamentally changes… I love idle games, cookie clicker is wonderful, and the game fundamentally changed with the grandmapocolypse. I love realm grinder, in which you unlock amazingly powerful factions eventually, territory idle, you eventually unlock god’s and space after weeks and weeks of playing.

I have played this game for a week and I couldn’t care less about the narrative or making any decisions, I just want my numbers to go up and my game unfold in different unique and exciting ways. I feel like I have nothing to look forward to in this game and, before I hang it up, I want to know if it ever changes… at all, because it hasn’t yet.

That being said, I’m in the market for a new idle game.

Any that fit these parameters that y’all have played?

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

MussoliniB posted:

Regarding Increlution, I’m in chapter 3, I believe. I’m curious if this game ever fundamentally changes…

As of chapter 5: No, not really. There is some extra gatekeeping mechanics here and there but nothing fundamentally different. I think some of those gatekeeps mostly force player to build carts (or grind enough) to overcome the problem.

I don't think story goes anywhere crazy either, even though person collecting food, building raft and sailing to next island in 15 seconds should probably be seen as major force of nature.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Definitely enjoying it, it's scratching the same itch as that groundhog game for the most part. Just two big complaints

-The "wait 5/10/15 minutes to get where you were before" thing is right now a nuisance, but the more content added to game, this has to be addressed. Either with some speedup function where the game is 2x speed for every 5/10 minutes before your longest run, or with some sort of checkpoint where you start in a later chapter. Neither without it's problems

-No real way to properly grind up a skill. I get it for the exploration skills, so you can't just do a "grind agility/combat/etc" run and then explode in progress on the next run. That can kind of extend for the construction skills. But for your job skills, there needs to be some way to just keep working a resource, even if you're capped on inventory. 70% of your time is on those gathering tasks, and you can only spend so much time increasing them before you then have to "waste" your remaining time and health on the next battle when you could spend much more time on things to speed up getting to that point and be losing less health.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Look Increlution is the best game ever and I want to make fan art for killing a bunch of boar until inside a bandit camp take a swing at the leader then before he can react start baking cakes.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

Look Increlution is the best game ever and I want to make fan art for killing a bunch of boar until inside a bandit camp take a swing at the leader then before he can react start baking cakes.

Best game ever? Probably not, but I am enjoying it.

It's a great game to set your run started, then go away and do something else. Then come back and make a few choices and go away again. It does something a lot of idle games don't which is give me something to interact with at multiple points of a day. Even if there aren't a lot of decisions to make, it's good for 5-10 minute chunks of time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Jhet posted:

Best game ever? Probably not, but I am enjoying it.

It's a great game to set your run started, then go away and do something else. Then come back and make a few choices and go away again. It does something a lot of idle games don't which is give me something to interact with at multiple points of a day. Even if there aren't a lot of decisions to make, it's good for 5-10 minute chunks of time.

No just the idea of baking killing 20 feral hogs while running at a campfire as bandits look on slack jawed then you just whip out an oven and bake a cake in front of them occasionally talking to them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

No just the idea of baking killing 20 feral hogs while running at a campfire as bandits look on slack jawed then you just whip out an oven and bake a cake in front of them occasionally talking to them.

Oh definitely. "You don't belong here, we must fight!" "Hang on, just a minute I have to just make some bread..."

I'd suggest some of the best numbers going up games have stories that don't make an ounce of sense.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Increlution is fun but also incredibly frustrating. The limited time on runs really ruins it for me but they're getting longer as I go along.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cowman posted:

Increlution is fun but also incredibly frustrating. The limited time on runs really ruins it for me but they're getting longer as I go along.

It needs auto restart.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MikusR posted:

It needs auto restart.

It plays like making a bot where you need to let it run for a bit to see where problems are and tweak them then it gets stuck and you need to code (set priorities) around it. It's scratching an itch just a different one than most idle games. Without the split timer I don't think it'd have much staying power. It isn't a shining gold example, but it is a good game in a sea of mediocre idle games coming out.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I'm torn on auto-restart. It'd be convenient but probably too powerful. You'd be able to make too much progress letting it run overnight I think, since you get a bit better with every rebirth. Going to bed and waking up with ~15 rebirths taking place would be a huge jump.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

mearn posted:

I'm torn on auto-restart. It'd be convenient but probably too powerful. You'd be able to make too much progress letting it run overnight I think, since you get a bit better with every rebirth. Going to bed and waking up with ~15 rebirths taking place would be a huge jump.

It would completely destroy the flow of the game, as balancing on either possibility would be incompatible with the other. (And auto restarts would also likely stop on new non-automated parts anyways...?)

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 26, 2021

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
What's the current Android or browser hotness?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

You can kind of do auto restart/grinding of certain things with an autoclicker and setting priorities where you basically neglect food so you die before getting to non automated things.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Increlution is really good but I can't get any farther than the village. By the time I get there my health drains so fast I can't talk to the people. It's been a good 6 or so runs where I get there and die.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Cowman posted:

Increlution is really good but I can't get any farther than the village. By the time I get there my health drains so fast I can't talk to the people. It's been a good 6 or so runs where I get there and die.

It takes a bit since it is the first social interaction. You might want to cut some food out like berries. Doing so might give you the time you need.

You are building both houses and both carts right?If not should only take 2-3 runs to level up construction building them that they are helping instead of hindering.

Also start with the fisher (which should be obvious since it is the first) you don't cook herring.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

pixaal posted:

It takes a bit since it is the first social interaction. You might want to cut some food out like berries. Doing so might give you the time you need.

You are building both houses and both carts right?If not should only take 2-3 runs to level up construction building them that they are helping instead of hindering.

Also start with the fisher (which should be obvious since it is the first) you don't cook herring.

Yea I build everything. The time limit in this game is killer and frustrating. It's not so much an idle game as just an optimization game.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Well poo poo - I lost all my progress in Resource Grid for :shrug: reason.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

pixaal posted:

What's the benefit of the cart (aside from understanding that you have bigger max inventory)? It seems like anything you could gather 20 of, you could instead gather 10 of, twice.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Later on there are spots where you have to spend an amount of health to pass, but you can eat all the food in your inventory at once to buff your health for it. The carts helps you pass that sooner. There are skill gates later where you have to get a skill up to a certain level to pass it and you can't get food while doing it. Having bigger size carts give you more of a buffer of time to complete it. Of course all of this is possible without building carts, but it should help you pass them sooner than otherwise. I didn't do the math though. Honestly when you get into like chapter 4 the two carts you build at the beginning of the game finish almost instantly.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 27, 2021

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Cowman posted:

Yea I build everything. The time limit in this game is killer and frustrating. It's not so much an idle game as just an optimization game.

Here's a tip that might help you get the time you need, but you might already be doing this stuff.

1. Don't build carts or anything else you don't need to until you have both houses finished. Health decay increase is compounding, so cutting the health decay in half earlier leads to having much more time of low health decay.
2. Take note of where you lose access to certain food resources and make sure your optimization priorities are such that you're filling up on those things before they become unavailable. Early food can help carry you through later areas. You can also essentially double your supply of food by stocking up on both the cooked and uncooked versions.
3. Instinct experience gained is some multiple of time spent and difficulty of the skill. Grinding on things that seem like they just take too long or you know won't finish can lead to big jumps in instinct level for those skills (social, hunting, and cooking are good examples here), lowering the time spent on earlier tasks that used those skills.

With those 3 tips you should be able to progress more quickly. You'll be in the village for a bit, though.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 28, 2021

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
Increlution did a stealth (there is now a news post for it, there wasn't when I initially posted this) update today and now finally automated construction material jobs (and non-automated if you check a box in the settings) cancel when you have enough to finish a queued construction no more watching like a hawk to not waste time on unusable materials

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 28, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am liking Increlution a lot more now that I have the first couple automation unlocks. Was kind of a weird start but I'm getting it now.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

ErIog posted:

Here's a tip that might help you get the time you need, but you might already be doing this stuff.

1. Don't build carts or anything else you don't need to until you have both houses finished. Health decay increase is compounding, so cutting the health decay in half earlier leads to having much more time of low health decay.
2. Take note of where you lose access to certain food resources and make sure your optimization priorities are such that you're filling up on those things before they become unavailable. Early food can help carry you through later areas. You can also essentially double your supply of food by stocking up on both the cooked and uncooked versions.
3. Instinct experience gained is some multiple of time spent and difficulty of the skill. Grinding on things that seem like they just take too long or you know won't finish can lead to big jumps in instinct level for those skills (social, hunting, and cooking are good examples here), lowering the time spent on earlier tasks that used those skills.

With those 3 tips you should be able to progress more quickly. You'll be in the village for a bit, though.

I'll make sure to do #1. I've been doing #2 and #3 I legitimately didn't know, thanks!

explosivo posted:

I am liking Increlution a lot more now that I have the first couple automation unlocks. Was kind of a weird start but I'm getting it now.

It's a fun game but goddamn is the time limit harsh. I constantly feel like I got nowhere when in fact I made progress on automation and levels. It's very frustrating as I've said many times in this thread.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
There aren't a ton of decisions to be made in increlution until later, but the appeal of the game comes from deciding where to focus your last few minutes of life and watching your split times improve every run. The village is a really interesting part of the game because you get a brand new skill that is essential to progress and a bunch of options on what to unlock and work on. That's also the point (or shortly after), where you start getting optional tasks or branching choices. There is an optional very long social task that doubles your max hp gain when you die. There is a choice of a long agility task or a very short one that requires a special construction. Chapter 3 adds even more branches where a given choice determines your constructions from that chapter (do you pick the side that gives a combat boost or the side with another cart and an agility boost?)

One important thing to remember is that exp gain is scaled with task speed, so the last part of your run is always where you get the most exp. Even if you don't need to get 20 extra wood or stone, you might want to do that anyway because you want to speed up hut construction for future runs. Especially if you're throwing yourself into combat and dying there, you can get a lot more progress out of a run by spending a few extra minutes on otherwise useless gathering.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Sillyman posted:

Increlution did a stealth (there is now a news post for it, there wasn't when I initially posted this) update today and now finally automated construction material jobs (and non-automated if you check a box in the settings) cancel when you have enough to finish a queued construction no more watching like a hawk to not waste time on unusable materials

Two big thumbs up for this one.

Two things I'm finding out as I finish up chapter 4 that are kind of related: Longer runs are not necessarily better runs, and your health is something that can be upgraded just like any of your skills. I felt like I was stagnating in terms of progression, and it turned out the key to breaking through was actually fighting more and taking more damage, because if you don't have enough health/combat skill the gatekeeper fights will wipe you out in a hurry.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, I'm finding that more runs in Increlution is better than fewer perfectly optimized runs myself. Not because it's going to make the most precise runs, but because it's leveling up my instincts to make most new upgrades run faster to start. By the time I'm done with Berries, my farming multiplier is high enough that Apples are quite fast, and the same down the line. My runs could probably be more efficient, but I'm not sure that there's a big benefit to it in the long term when my inefficiencies are rewarded with Instinct levels.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

That effect does diminish as you get deeper in; because later tasks give more experience, it might looks like a significant time savings but not actually be much of one. In my current run there's one animal that takes about 5 seconds to hunt with my hunting skill at the time, and by the time I've got 20 of them it's running at over 2 per second.

Also on the later optimization side: Huts are scams! Well, they might be scams, depending on where you are in your run. But if you don't have the skills to build them quickly enough, you might just waste a few minutes to get your health decay back to where it was when you started building, only now it's increasing faster so you really have less time now to do the stuff you want to do. Sure you get some generational levels in digging and construction, but if you're trying to go far in a run the cons (probably) outweigh the pros.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I think with chapter 4's constant doubling of stamina loss for every exploration the 'optimal' way to get through it is to grind the optional chapter 3 fights and training. Mineshaft is the way to go for branches for TRIPLING your health so you can last through the combats longer before having to do something else from the health loss.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

tinstaach posted:

That effect does diminish as you get deeper in; because later tasks give more experience, it might looks like a significant time savings but not actually be much of one. In my current run there's one animal that takes about 5 seconds to hunt with my hunting skill at the time, and by the time I've got 20 of them it's running at over 2 per second.

Also on the later optimization side: Huts are scams! Well, they might be scams, depending on where you are in your run. But if you don't have the skills to build them quickly enough, you might just waste a few minutes to get your health decay back to where it was when you started building, only now it's increasing faster so you really have less time now to do the stuff you want to do. Sure you get some generational levels in digging and construction, but if you're trying to go far in a run the cons (probably) outweigh the pros.

Huts are never scams, they just take several runs to become worth building. The magic number is ~3.2 minutes of total gathering/construction time since that's the benefit of each hut on your health decay. The problem with skipping huts is that you generally have to build them to develop the skills that make building them worthwhile. You want the woodcutting/digging/construction xp anyway because that speeds up the non-optional tasks like building the bridge.

There are a couple points where you clear a goal and get your end-of-run max HP gain doubled but I don't think there are any placed where skipping a hut would make or break your ability to clear it. And even then a couple runs later and you could get both anyway.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

It is almost always better to grab the early food unless you're at a battle wall where you die because you can't do anything else to cancel battle. The time investment and health reward of early food is always better than later game food, so that 2 seconds to grab berries is more health for time than spending 2 seconds on harvesting something later, hunting and cooking rabbits are better time investment than hunting and cooking later animals. Which means it's also better to keep your stock of raw fish/dead rabbits for later cooking as well until you're clearing past areas that drop your crafting/dead animal inventory, then obviously it's a waste of time to stock up the uncooked items, but still better to cap out the cooked versions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Slickdrac posted:

It is almost always better to grab the early food unless you're at a battle wall where you die because you can't do anything else to cancel battle. The time investment and health reward of early food is always better than later game food, so that 2 seconds to grab berries is more health for time than spending 2 seconds on harvesting something later, hunting and cooking rabbits are better time investment than hunting and cooking later animals. Which means it's also better to keep your stock of raw fish/dead rabbits for later cooking as well until you're clearing past areas that drop your crafting/dead animal inventory, then obviously it's a waste of time to stock up the uncooked items, but still better to cap out the cooked versions

hm i'm curious how true that is, since you could be doing those actions later under lower hp drain with later huts, and more percentage boosts from items.