Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Briefly back to the subject of climate change, we don't stand much of a chance when global corporations can do stuff like this. The entire playing board is rigged in their favour.

https://twitter.com/Lowkey0nline/status/1452176666978099202

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
What's that, Mr Partridge? Another programme idea?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ludo Friend posted:

Exactly this is where being empathetic and having unconditional positive esteem for the victim helps. Listen to them, support them, but also support them in knowing what the evidence supports. I’d prefer to listen to their stories and give the support they do need rather than take a statement at face value and give someone the wrong outcome.

Edit- Listening is the most important part of my job, I get a ridiculous amount of people being sent to me for bipolar, depression or anxiety who in fact have personality disorders. It’s only by listening to them and their experiences that we can actually go down the right track rather than continuing with the incorrect diagnosis. The wrong diagnosis or support can be counterproductive.

This is why I posted asking for more information about it, because it definitely has a whiff of moral panic in both how fast the entire country seems to be reporting it and how the stories are routinely very similar. But at the same time you still have very unwell women being taken into hospital so clearly something is happening.

This is the story from Exeter police that I read this morning

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/police-latest-exeter-needle-spiking-6093751

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

fuctifino posted:

Briefly back to the subject of climate change, we don't stand much of a chance when global corporations can do stuff like this. The entire playing board is rigged in their favour.

I was working with Connor at Warwick at the time, it's certainly no surprise that the university was up to this sort of poo poo. Fossil Free Warwick had a fair bit of success in pressuring the university to divest from fossil fuels, at least.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The only drink spiking I've ever encountered is with alcohol. The spiker buy doubles of spirits and claims they're singles, or, depending on the drink, buys a separate shot of vodka at the bar and then tips it in. It only has to happen a couple of times and suddenly someone who was pacing themselves has had twice as much alcohol as they realised, and if they're teenagers not used to drinking then the effect is even more pronounced. Alcohol is relatively cheap, legal, and if the spikee ends up in hospital then the literal diagnosis is "drunk", so there's almost no risk to the spiker.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

but if any of those things go away for more than a week[1] then they're never, ever coming back and the sort of preparations you make for that are altogether darker.

Mind you I do have a plan for that too - it mostly involves making sure I get decent birthday and Christmas presents for my sister and her husband, with their lovely semi-rural house with it's garage full of motorbikes and well-concealed cabinet containing his multiple (fully licensed, officer!) shotguns.

I just wanna say, this is very wrong. If the power goes out in Britain for a week because of shortages or incompetence or whatever, it'll still come back. probably not reliably, but still. There's plenty of examples from the 21st century of places where the electrical grid is unreliable and people only have power for a few hours a day. And guess what, people still went to work. People still had to pay their bills.

I joke that Brexit was Britain voting to do post-war Iraqi reconstruction to themselves, and you might want to look into post-war Iraq to see how much disruption of infrastructure a country can go through and keep going without becoming Mad Max.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I've heard stories from my home area of NI where they used to spike drinks with bad poteen of gobshites and generally hated people.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Gripweed posted:

you might want to look into post-war Iraq to see how much disruption of infrastructure a country can go through and keep going without becoming Mad Max.

So your saying head to the airports and hope to be airlifted out in about 20 years?

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

This is why I posted asking for more information about it, because it definitely has a whiff of moral panic in both how fast the entire country seems to be reporting it and how the stories are routinely very similar. But at the same time you still have very unwell women being taken into hospital so clearly something is happening.

This is the story from Exeter police that I read this morning

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/police-latest-exeter-needle-spiking-6093751

Police warn over things with no factual basis just in case. Here’s them warning against the Blue Whale Hoax I mentioned earlier, but again pretending it’s real.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/news/uk-world-news/police-warning-over-blue-whale-4334492.amp

So because they have mentioned it we will get another round of moral panic. Thing is resources are then used combatting hoaxes rather than giving kids with suicidal thoughts help.

It’s truely a problem due to disinformation and social media again.

Sorry if I sound rantish, but it’s saddening to me that people don’t do their job and check things before doing press releases.

I’ll happily go back to lurking if I am spending too much time shouting into the abyss about mental health and social media!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

I've heard stories from my home area of NI where they used to spike drinks with bad poteen of gobshites and generally hated people.

They get to enjoy being blind, that's the one reason i never trusted the stuff.

edit: i may or may not be a gobshite. :shrug:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gonna need a :thejoke: on this one champ.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I just wanna say, this is very wrong. If the power goes out in Britain for a week because of shortages or incompetence or whatever, it'll still come back. probably not reliably, but still. There's plenty of examples from the 21st century of places where the electrical grid is unreliable and people only have power for a few hours a day. And guess what, people still went to work. People still had to pay their bills.

I joke that Brexit was Britain voting to do post-war Iraqi reconstruction to themselves, and you might want to look into post-war Iraq to see how much disruption of infrastructure a country can go through and keep going without becoming Mad Max.

I'm not saying the power going down for a week will cause the breakdown of society on it's own. I'm saying if society has broken down to the point that the *UK* power grid goes down for a week then it's already broken down past the point where it's likely to come back. There are plenty of circumstances where the grid goes down of course - hell it could happen tomorrow with just the right combination of cold, still weather, power station maintenance and failures in the DC interconnects to the continent - but in each of them power can be restored to at least a rolling blackout standard within 24 hours.

For the grid to stay down for 7 days would require not only a combination of environmental, technical and organisational failures, it would require the absolute collapse of all three of those factors, and *whatever caused that collapse* is what is going to be what's stopping the grid from coming back.

Also while I'm by no means an expert on Iraq (and I'm not sure if a situation where half a million people died, mostly not from military action, is the thing you should be pinning your "Nah she'll be right" hopes on) I'm willing to bet that the UK is much, much more reliant on electricity than they are. Even if we accept that there is a window of failure where the power goes down for 7 days and comes back up - what will have happened in those 7 days.

The entire telecomms network would be gone within 24 hours - landlines definitely (urban areas might retain 999 service on PSTN, while that still exists, for a while), the internet entirely, although the cellular network might be able to keep a barebones voice service going for a while in certain areas (although probably not because the RAN would be unable to contact the billing servers so would probably deny non-emergency calls). Hell the UK of 2003 would have been much more robust in that respect because the older kit was designed for it; most modern VoIP switching is fragile as hell. And it's not just like when the power comes back on the yellow light flashes a bit and goes green - it'll take days or even weeks to bootstrap everything back up.

Obviously in that week all of the frozen and refrigerated food will at least have ended up very suspect (and of course the shops will have been picked completely clean, by fair means or foul). It took almost a month for toilet paper distribution to recover from the ripple effects of a couple of scare stories - what do you think will happen to our extremely long and fragile supply lines once the lights come back on? Particularly with no internet, computers with completely the wrong inventory in them, and an increasingly desperate populace taking things into their own hands.

Every single mains water supply will be hopelessly contaminated (oh and most of them wouldn't have been running reliably, if at all, within a day or two of the power going off), so even though I'm sure there will be boil-water advisories in place I'm not sure we want 30 million kettles going once we turn the power back on (that sort of rebound demand is one of the huge problems with recovery from total blackouts of course). At the very best we're going to be seeing shitloads (pun not intended) of cholera and other diseases. Speaking of, sewage treatment will also have failed at some point in the week (given fresh water pumping stations only have 72 hours of reserve power, I seriously doubt the much more power-hungry sewage treatment systems would have any longer, although many of them are at least partially self-powering with digesters - but with no fresh water getting to houses the "fuel" for those systems will run out pretty quickly).

Those are just the big effects I can come up with off the top of my head - I'm sure that every other sector of the economy will have similar problems. Without massive international aid a *shitload* of people are going to die, none of them pleasantly, in those 7 days and in the months afterwards.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's when you use the real backup comms service, three old men talking about inductors on 20m

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not saying the power going down for a week will cause the breakdown of society on it's own. I'm saying if society has broken down to the point that the *UK* power grid goes down for a week then it's already broken down past the point where it's likely to come back. There are plenty of circumstances where the grid goes down of course - hell it could happen tomorrow with just the right combination of cold, still weather, power station maintenance and failures in the DC interconnects to the continent - but in each of them power can be restored to at least a rolling blackout standard within 24 hours.

I mean you say that but I was in the US for this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003 and it wasn't a week but it was definitely more than a day before we got power of any sort back. The '4-8 hours' in that webpage is a straight up lie in so far as it applies to Delta Township, Michigan.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So your saying head to the airports and hope to be airlifted out in about 20 years?

Iraq and Afghanistan are different countries.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Those are just the big effects I can come up with off the top of my head - I'm sure that every other sector of the economy will have similar problems. Without massive international aid a *shitload* of people are going to die, none of them pleasantly, in those 7 days and in the months afterwards.

Yeah, it would suck. You'd still have to pay rent. You still shouldn't shoot people.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gripweed posted:

I lived in a country like that - power randomly going out for hours on end. Rechargeable lights were to be found in every supermarket at very reasonable cost unlike here where they are not readily available and are pretty expensive too!
It did knacker microwave ovens after a spate of those days when it is on and off repeatedly over the course of a few hours, and also laptop batteries.

Also, I was a teenager during The Three Day Week (under a Tory govt not a Labour govt contrary to popular opinion among the gammonati and which they need repeated reminding of.)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I mean you say that but I was in the US for this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003 and it wasn't a week but it was definitely more than a day before we got power of any sort back. The '4-8 hours' in that webpage is a straight up lie in so far as it applies to Delta Township, Michigan.

Well that's why I said "restored to rolling blackout standard". Cold-starting a grid is a truly insane process even if you have a nuke or two and a couple of pumped-storage facilities like we do to basically be the starter motors for it. Best estimate for the UK grid - *if* the DC interconnects and wind power are available - is that the entire grid would be synced within 8 hours (with individual islands coming back on within an hour, and power restored to much of the country within 4), but without them, and assuming the worst case of cold, still weather meaning maximum load and minimum generating capacity, we'd probably have to do rolling blackouts for at least 24 hours just because of the rebound load which is almost uncontrollable.

Also of course that process of resyncing the grid is going to cause merry hell with lots of components - the grid might be up in 8 hours but if the transformer at your local substation exploded in either the cascade failure that took the grid down or because of the massive surge when it came back up then you're in the dark until a lorry with a new one gets out there.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Iraq and Afghanistan are different countries.

Look I'm only in charge of the world largest, most powerful army, I haven't got time to get bogged down in the little details.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I think it's a rare case of poo poo-that-definitely-happened-because-its-too-banal-to-have-been-made-up.txt

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

idk maybe I've lived here too long but I'd be mildly amused if I went out with a friend and met someone with both our names

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Joe Joe?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This person gets it:

e: Bonus climate change related content:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 24, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Two people, called Geoff and Gordon, met someone called Geoff Gordon. That's it.

Not sure if :thejoke: in which case bravo, but just in case it wasn't, a walk on Helvellyn was of course where Alan Partridge's son Fernando was conceived. Accidentally, but they grew to like him.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

"And the winner of the climate change net zero referendum with 52% of the vote is... bring back hanging?"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is a good catch from 2017 https://twitter.com/carrielbjohnson/status/905026180499243008

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

e: Bonus climate change related content:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
For those wondering, your most recent bill from your energy supplier will have a letter in the top right corner, which is the code from the local DNO for your MPAN and the zone in which you are placed for rolling black start procedures. If you’re A you get leccy from 8-9 & 6-7, B 9-10 & 7-8 and so on etc.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
wonder how much Wetherspoons paid for this hour-long advert on channel 5

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ACAB

https://twitter.com/angrypiln/status/1452361091007369221

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

We’re importing 30,000 tons of sludge from the Netherlands to use as manure. It contains human waste. Using it as manure is illegal in the EU.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The Queen is sick, penises at half inflation ffs to show respect.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sounds like they went off half cocked.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The inflatable was impersonating an officer in public.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

thats an odd bit of york, city screen is quite posh, but like either side is i dunno vodka revs or whatever.

and everyone there has access to fall in the river

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NotJustANumber99 posted:

thats an odd bit of york, city screen is quite posh, but like either side is i dunno vodka revs or whatever.

and everyone there has access to fall in the river

There used to be a sign fixed to the railings in memory of a vodka revs bartender who celebrated finishing his final shift by trying to swim across the river.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

There used to be a sign fixed to the railings in memory of a vodka revs bartender who celebrated finishing his final shift by trying to swim across the river.

Its a small place york, stay there long enough and you'll know someone whose lost someone to the river, weird really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsm4ryP6RqM