Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know people had a lot of problems with the most recent season of Titans, but most of the police turning out to be literally working for a super villain did a lot to ground it as a realistic super hero show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I know people had a lot of problems with the most recent season of Titans, but most of the police turning out to be literally working for a super villain did a lot to ground it as a realistic super hero show.

It was complete garbage, they're all garbage people with the possible exception of Gar, and I'm done with the series its just... the only thing good about it is its looks and I can look at stills without having to endure that absolute craptastic writing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I will continue to be mad that the Gargoyles action figures aren't allowed to be sold outside the US.

Now I'm imagining specially trained dogs that can sniff out gargoyles action figures. Custom agents that proudly present confiscated gargoyles action figures with a street prize of 100 000 dollars before the press. Gargoyle action figure smugglers:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

I will continue to be mad that the Gargoyles action figures aren't allowed to be sold outside the US.

"Allowed?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

"Allowed?"

Apparently the licence is only US, so while yes, you can grey market them through a re-shipping service or reseller, they're already expensive enough without having to go through a middleman and probably still have to pay poo poo-tons of customs taxes (or enough mark-up so THEY can pay that) on top.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I don't know if official promotional art produced for merchandising for a series qualifies as a spoiler, but there's art for Ms. Marvel that seemingly confirms one of the longstanding rumors about the show, namely that MCU Kamala does not have stretching/growing powers, but instead has the ability to create purple crystalline energy constructs. Not exactly enthused about this change.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That would suck so bad and I hope it's not accurate

e: nvm saw the picture and I guess it is totally accurate.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 24, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The second part is true, but doesn't necessarily mean the first part can't happen I guess. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
After all that other poo poo that's been done so far, that would be an almost incongruously weird change to the character. I'd be really curious what the justification was. Is Marvel Studios suddenly going to start slipping backwards into 90s-style adaptional choices? Are we going to see the F4 in all black leather costumes?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's been some stuff in the comics connecting Kamala to Kree stuff, so it might just be her using some Kree tech or something. Captain Marvel is heavily connected to the Kree both in the comics and in her movie and they're it seems like they are playing up Ms Marvel's connection to Captain for the MCU. Or she might be part Skrull if they don't want to deal with Inhuman BS after the disaster that was the TV show and it would explain why she's stretchy some interaction between human and Skrull DNA mixing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Maybe all the stretch effects they tested looked like crap?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

Maybe all the stretch effects they tested looked like crap?

I mean maybe but as other people have noted, F4 is already on the books so it seems like they really should have some stretch effects down by now.

Skwirl posted:

There's been some stuff in the comics connecting Kamala to Kree stuff, so it might just be her using some Kree tech or something. Captain Marvel is heavily connected to the Kree both in the comics and in her movie and they're it seems like they are playing up Ms Marvel's connection to Captain for the MCU. Or she might be part Skrull if they don't want to deal with Inhuman BS after the disaster that was the TV show and it would explain why she's stretchy some interaction between human and Skrull DNA mixing.

I mean, she's an Inhuman which are the result of Kree experimentation so you don't even have to reach that far. Though I suspect strongly that you're right and that they're gonna try to tie her more closely to the Kree to avoid mentioning Inhumans until that shitshow is an even more distant memory and they can maybe take another crack at them in a movie in Phase 6 or whatever the gently caress.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 24, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: poo poo double post

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

My guess is that because Captain Marvel has glowing energy powers and Spectrum has glowing energy powers, they wanted Ms. Marvel to have glowing energy powers too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Klungar posted:

My guess is that because Captain Marvel has glowing energy powers and Spectrum has glowing energy powers, they wanted Ms. Marvel to have glowing energy powers too.

Likely this, since there's no way she's going to be an Inhuman they're probably going to tie her powers in with Carol and Monica

There's also the fact that stretching is just hard to make look not dumb or body horror-y with a realistic art style (see also the Avengers video game) and "body horror" is probably not the vibe they wanted to go for. I feel like they'll have a lot less problem with making Reed look creepy because that's an element that works with that character

I get not liking the change but the angle it's coming from is understandable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's because they don't care about the character, just the brand.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It'd still be weird to fundamentally change a character's power set. Like they didn't just make Captain Marvel a slightly better Captain America. They changed origins and personalities for Guardians, but they basically function the same as the characters in the comic.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aphrodite posted:

It's because they don't care about the character, just the brand.

This is a bizarre take. I think of all the things you can accuse the MCU of "not caring about the characters" isn't really one of them.

Skwirl posted:

It'd still be weird to fundamentally change a character's power set. Like they didn't just make Captain Marvel a slightly better Captain America. They changed origins and personalities for Guardians, but they basically function the same as the characters in the comic.

MCU Star-Lord bares basically no resemblance to the character that existed prior to that movie coming out except for the mask and having two guns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

This is a bizarre take. I think of all the things you can accuse the MCU of "not caring about the characters" isn't really one of them.

Buddy, I'm just paraphrasing your post right above it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aphrodite posted:

Buddy, I'm just paraphrasing your post right above it.

If you think Kamala's exact set of powers are literally all that matters about that character I guess I can see where you're coming from but no, that's not what I was saying.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
People think they're saving the stretching for Reed but we are 100% getting energy crystal Reed Richards in 202X

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I like the Crystal idea, just none of the reasons why they might be adding it sound good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

MCU Star-Lord bares basically no resemblance to the character that existed prior to that movie coming out except for the mask and having two guns.

I can see some of the Annihilation era Star-Lord in Chris Pratt's character, but the Pratt version is obviously way less experienced, I don't think I've read anything with Star-Lord in it pre-Annihilation.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He was more of somewhat amoral strategist, and but also more intrinsically heroic. The galaxy was in a bad place after one of the space events and he thought it could use some guardians. So he put a group of randos together that he thought had potential. Being a disparate group of gently caress ups he figured they needed some motivation.

So he had them all mind-controlled to work together.

Movie Star-Lord is a retarded golden retriever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I meant in the "jump into a situation and then figure out what the plan is" sense.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would actually venture to say that i think her specific power set is part of what makes Kamala on the whole unique and interesting

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

First generation Pakistani immigrant girl with the ability to change her shape and appearance initially becoming the picture of Western beauty before accepting herself is a pretty important part of that character and getting rid of that does some pretty serious damage.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

First generation Pakistani immigrant girl with the ability to change her shape and appearance initially becoming the picture of Western beauty before accepting herself is a pretty important part of that character and getting rid of that does some pretty serious damage.

I've only read the first 6 trades but I honestly don't remember her ever trying to change her appearance to become the picture of western beauty before accepting who she is. I remember some parts about peer pressure and being a typical teenager doing typical teenager stuff but I don't recall any of that meaning she was trying to change her appearance to adhere to any beauty standards.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Her first use of her powers was changing to look like Carol, because that was who she wanted to be as a hero. Then she continued that on the second time out, but after a talk with Bruno, decided she didn't need to look like Carol and could be herself.

I can understand the reading of rejecting Western beauty to look like herself, but I don't think that you need her powers to look like anyone else to be able to have the same story told. I think Kamala's powers can be changed and her character will remain largely the same.

Besides, this is an adaption for movies and TV. They changed Spider-Man when making movies about him. And people complained about how organic webbing messed with his character, and maybe it kind of did, but in the end it didn't much matter.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

As far as I can tell, she's not getting Green Lantern powers, it's rather that she does pretty much the same stuff she does in the books, just with an energy field effect. Which is at least a new look rather than Mr. Fantastic/Plastic Man/Elongated Man all over again. I'm not going to crap on it until I see it in play, anyhow. :colbert:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I understand the instinct to change Kamala Khan's power set: it's weirdly everything-y and the stretching powers that they usually devolve into are awfully close to Reed Richards' powers. Changing her powers entirely feels like a bad move to me, though. A lot of her abilities are pretty integral to her character, and I think giving her different powers does a lot to anonymise her.

I'm still going to watch the series, but this isn't the most hope-inspiring first look at it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Where did that picture come from anyway?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

jng2058 posted:

As far as I can tell, she's not getting Green Lantern powers, it's rather that she does pretty much the same stuff she does in the books, just with an energy field effect. Which is at least a new look rather than Mr. Fantastic/Plastic Man/Elongated Man all over again. I'm not going to crap on it until I see it in play, anyhow. :colbert:

it does depend on the VFX, I suppose, but if you look closely, you can see her normal-sized human fist inside the oversized crystal fist construct, so I'm not too optimistic that it'll actually come off that way in execution

howe_sam posted:

I believe it came from the website of some sort of licensing company, it's still up surprisingly

https://www.pyramidinternational.com/brand/ms-marvel

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 25, 2021

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

howe_sam posted:

I got if off a Screen Rant article, but it's all over the place. Apparently it's officially released promo art.

https://screenrant.com/ms-marvel-show-art-kamala-khan-mcu-powers/

Barry Convex posted:

it does depend on the VFX, I suppose, but if you look closely, you can see her normal-sized human fist inside the oversized crystal fist construct, so I'm not too optimistic that it'll actually come off that way in execution

It's concept art..you never know how close or far it'll be in the actual show, to be sure.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I'm going to take the controversial action and watch the show and judge it for myself that way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's hosed up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Joe Fisto posted:

I'm going to take the controversial action and watch the show and judge it for myself that way.

Freak.

Svensken
May 29, 2010

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Hisako_Ichiki_(Earth-616)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doom Patrol is still good. But it's a little strange that they apparently can't use the official DC Death but had to make up another character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Alhazred posted:

Doom Patrol is still good. But it's a little strange that they apparently can't use the official DC Death but had to make up another character.

Probably one of those " no were doing something with this character, so you can't" things