Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It's fine, when the next variant comes from an unvaccinated country they'll just order more boosters again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

How are u posted:

Apparently Razer's gamer respirator mask for True Gamers and rave kids is actually available now.

https://kotaku.com/attn-bane-razer-s-high-tech-rgb-covid-mask-is-finally-1847910180

Get on it, goons!

Just imagine how filthy that mouthcover is going to be once it's slathered in a coat of boogers, facial oils, and condensed breath of Cheetohs and Bawls energy drink. A breeding ground for variants we can't even begin to imagine.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Mischievous Mink posted:

My local rite aid let me get my third and I don't have any physical disabilities or specific risks, which I was up front with them about. I don't think the answer is a definitive yes or no, it seems like it'll vary for folks.

Got my 3rd Moderna shot today at RiteAid when I signed up for the flu shot. At first the person in the pharmacy said they are not allowed to give boosters unless “corporate” allows it and pointed to the computer. I said it was 8 months since my second shot and I had high exposure due to volunteering at a drug and alcohol treatment facility. When I went into the little room the pharmacist asked my reason again but had the shot ready for me. Sore arm so far, will report any other issues.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I haven't heard poo poo all about boosters here (in BC, Canada) and I just googled it and they are not recommending them for general pop yet, just immunocompromised people and maybe some LTC seniors/healthcare workers. I don't think it's really in the public consciousness yet, most of the airtime is taken up with the vaccine mandates/anti-vaxxers being nobbers

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Smeef posted:

Just imagine how filthy that mouthcover is going to be once it's slathered in a coat of boogers, facial oils, and condensed breath of Cheetohs and Bawls energy drink. A breeding ground for variants we can't even begin to imagine.

Yeah, like... what if you have to cough or sneeze in that thing? You're going to be absolutely disgusting for anybody else to look at until you have a chance to clean it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I've been getting up to 10 boosters a day, rotating through all the pharmacies in town with a suitcase of Groucho Marx glasses and other hilarious disguises

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Got my Pfizer booster yesterday. Have a small fever and a sore arm today, but totally worth it for the added protection.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Alctel posted:

I haven't heard poo poo all about boosters here (in BC, Canada) and I just googled it and they are not recommending them for general pop yet, just immunocompromised people and maybe some LTC seniors/healthcare workers. I don't think it's really in the public consciousness yet, most of the airtime is taken up with the vaccine mandates/anti-vaxxers being nobbers

Yeah there's not really any sense of real rush here, the focus is more on laying the groundwork to rapidly roll out kid vaccinations once it's approved.

The people who qualify so far pretty much were all people who got the shot early and were stuck on the original 3-4 week shot schedule. I think they're also waiting to see how the longer shot schedule affects things since an optimal booster time may be different for someone who got their second shot 3-4 months after their first. Either way, effectiveness still seems pretty strong here and cases are dropping in places with minimal NPIs.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Ok, so (US-centric analysis of best practices):

If you are wealthy: get booster, test daily, mainline remdesivir the moment you pop pos.

If you are pmc, get booster from your gp, work from home, have groceries delivered, subscribe to a dozen media platforms, maybe get a dog and go for daily walks (masked, outdoors)

If working class: get booster, wear elastomeric when outside the home

If poor, solo: scam booster, isolate as much as you can, mask up as much as you can, grind for usd however you must (maybe fly a sign, head to a grainger brick and mortar, buy an elastomeric, and hitch to a port to look for work), use phone best you can to keep connected with friends and loved ones (and engage in direct action).

If poor, living with roommates that don't adopt best practices: ??? [This is me, and I'm grinding for usd wearing an elastomeric, but I have an octogenarian fully vaxxed roommate, an unvaxed 50yo covid-ignoring roommate, and a 30yo science-informed roommate (who, informed by science, knows he's not at severe risk and just finally at long last lost his virginity - and he's on ssdi for verbal dispraxia resulting from horrible child abuse, so at least he's not gonna bring it home from 'work'), plus two outdoor cats - it's almost inevitable the unvaxxed roomy catches it at some point, probably infecting the ol' man and potentially killing the boths of them - and maybe even me, but I boosted a booster two months back- shoutout to cspam!]

I don't have the energy to continue but you see what I'm getting at

Noone will save us, who should /you/ trust?

E- working class, school aged children, ill-prepared to homeschool:

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 23, 2021

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
Just a reminder that Israel started giving booster shots (at five months) to everyone over 60 at the start of August and by the end of the month it was everyone over 12.

I’m assuming the people denouncing cspam for noticing this and taking about boosters that month must have missed this. Or they have a distrust of Israel in particular for some reason.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cloaked posted:

Just a reminder that Israel started giving booster shots (at five months) to everyone over 60 at the start of August and by the end of the month it was everyone over 12.

I’m assuming the people denouncing cspam for noticing this and taking about boosters that month must have missed this. Or they have a distrust of Israel in particular for some reason.

I'm not really clear on what you mean by this, could you elaborate?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cloaked posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thank you for bravely taking a stand against a thing that never happened in this thread.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm an idiot, and my eyes tend to glaze over when I look at words of more than 3 syllables. Is this as important as it seems, or a blown up excuse to scream at Fauci s'more?

https://republicans-oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Year-5-EHAv.pdf

https://twitter.com/GOPoversight/status/1450934193177903105?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

killer_robot posted:

I'm an idiot, and my eyes tend to glaze over when I look at words of more than 3 syllables. Is this as important as it seems, or a blown up excuse to scream at Fauci s'more?

https://republicans-oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Year-5-EHAv.pdf

https://twitter.com/GOPoversight/status/1450934193177903105?s=20

:thunk: Hm, I wonder why the Oversight Committee has a twitter just for the Republican members...

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

CommieGIR posted:

:thunk: Hm, I wonder why the Oversight Committee has a twitter just for the Republican members...

Must have been an oversight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

redbrouw posted:

Must have been an oversight.

Who oversights the oversight?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not really clear on what you mean by this, could you elaborate?

I don't agree with their insinuation but Israel started boosters before the USA and some people decided to base their decision to get boosters on that. It came up in the initial FDA booster hearing that they weren't really interested in Israeli data because it was foreign data and they have a general policy of basing decisions off of domestic data. Which makes sense for the FDA in general because that's the data that's subject to USA controls and standards whereas foreign data can differ in all kinds of ways. However, for the individual it's not particularly irresponsible to get a booster based on Israeli standards. When people say you should wait for official government guidance... well that IS official guidance of A government, and it's not the kind of advice that becomes bad just because you live on the other side of some national lines. If it's good for an Israeli then it's good for an American.

So long as you trust Israel when it comes to the medical care of its citizens of course. And I don't recall any reason to distrust Israel on that matter (for general pop, I would not at all trust anything they aimed at certain demographics). Plus it was the advice rich and powerful people in America were also following already, which we knew from a couple admitting it. I really, really don't see a good reason to call out any American for getting a booster in the period after Israel started it and before they were approved in the US.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
What do you all think about what's going on in Florida right now?

When they were spiking it was all over the news but according to today's data on the NYtimes Florida currently has the lowest amount of cases per 100k out of any state except Hawaii.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Avian Pneumonia posted:

When they were spiking it was all over the news but according to today's data on the NYtimes Florida currently has the lowest amount of cases per 100k out of any state except Hawaii.
I think other states should adopt Florida’s plan of killing 20,000 people in three months. After that no more covid forever obviously.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Florida since the start of summer has been reporting their cases in such a way that it always looks like they're on the downswing, it's gonna be a lot longer than a single week of suspicious reporting before anything they report can be trusted

Most charitably, COVID has since the start come and gone in waves. Florida was the first to really face to Nurgle so they're gonna be the first to leave his lingering embrace. There's a reason why all the media fawning is firmly abstracted and not about actually dead people

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hasn't this exact thing happened like 4 times already, Florida would hit the bottom of a wave, bunch of people go "covid is over DeSantis' policy worked!" and then it just shot right back up again and a bunch more people died

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I apologize, I have posted in the wrong thread.

Covid still sucks

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 24, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

edit - it would appear so, nothing to see here

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 24, 2021

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

VitalSigns posted:

Hasn't this exact thing happened like 4 times already, Florida would hit the bottom of a wave, bunch of people go "covid is over DeSantis' policy worked!" and then it just shot right back up again and a bunch more people died

This happens everywhere. Last time I said it was impossible to keep r0 under 1 with just vaccines, several people jumped on to me to let me know that “well actually cases are down so r0 is under 1”

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nexous posted:

This happens everywhere. Last time I said it was impossible to keep r0 under 1 with just vaccines, several people jumped on to me to let me know that “well actually cases are down so r0 is under 1”

If people are vaccinated then by definition there is no “r0”

But also, yeah, if the cases are going down then Rt is less than 1, that what the number means. It’s not some complete measure of every factor on how a disease is going, it literally is just a measure of the average number of people an infected person infects.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
You can only reach r0 with a direct and relentless assault on Christianity.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 24, 2021

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Florida since the start of summer has been reporting their cases in such a way that it always looks like they're on the downswing, it's gonna be a lot longer than a single week of suspicious reporting before anything they report can be trusted

Most charitably, COVID has since the start come and gone in waves. Florida was the first to really face to Nurgle so they're gonna be the first to leave his lingering embrace. There's a reason why all the media fawning is firmly abstracted and not about actually dead people

Same thing in Texas regarding the latter. Our waves seem to be every 6-8 months, so with Delta on the decline now we should be due for the next one in May-June when school lets out.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Phigs posted:

So long as you trust Israel when it comes to the medical care of its citizens of course. And I don't recall any reason to distrust Israel on that matter (for general pop, I would not at all trust anything they aimed at certain demographics).

I don't have any particular reason to distrust Israel's covid data out of hand, but I do want to drill down on this part of your post here. You must not have heard of what Israel was doing to its own Black Jewish population a few years back.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/30/forced-contraception-jewish-ethopian-women

So when you posted the words I quoted above I immediately thought of this, and it's a very good reason to not blindly trust that Israel is 100% a good faith actor when it comes to the medical care off its citizens.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
As a reminder Florida was literally rationing water because of a critical oxygen shortage due to all the people in hospitals like a month ago.

but sure Desantis really did great why not. loving news media.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Boosters every 4 months is a pretty good business model NGL. When do you guys thing the US government going to stop floating the bill?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

White Phosphorus posted:

Boosters every 4 months is a pretty good business model NGL. When do you guys thing the US government going to stop floating the bill?

the dems will negotiate a modification to obamacare where everyone gets a HSA preloaded with money for exactly 1.5 doses of COVID booster a year

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So the Pfizer booster is probably better because it's a full dose, right?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Why would you think this?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I'm not sure anyone qualified to answer that is still willing to post here but that sounds like spurious reasoning at best. Bigger/more doses does not necessarily translate to better/more protected, just like getting 4 boosters by using fake names at various pharmacies isn't going to make you super protected. If you have access to a doctor, I'd ask what they recommend, but the only answer well-suited to this thread is "get whatever booster you can, if you're eligible." I wasn't fully vaxxed until end of May, so I'm planning on going in for one next month.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yeah so I'm eligible and can get either. My first two doses were Pfizer.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

yeah so I'm eligible and can get either. My first two doses were Pfizer.

I still think the best answer is "whatever you can get first." You're going to be well-protected from Covid either way.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Not too far back someone linked a twitter post "ranking" the mix-n-match combinations based on data showing antibody levels. I can dig it up later tonight when I have a few minutes or if someone finds it, repost I guess?

That's if you have a choice in your area, though. Probably not worth going out of your way to get one booster over another, but that's just my 2c

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have a choice, I can get either whenever basically, that's why I'm asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
What's the current go-to mask for kids? Trying to maximize protection for a series of visits to the doctor's office my 6-year-old is going to have to make over the next few months.