Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1452364451156533260

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

I've been waiting for Rogue Legacy 2 for what feels like forever. Been worried about picking it up in Early Access though because I usually burn out a game and then never go back for the actual 1.0 release version.

Are they about finished?

From the last big patch they did this month

"but seeing as this will be one of our last updates before v1.0"

So I guess pretty close. Feels awfully flesged out to me

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've been dipping my toes into ICoV, wouldn't mind a bit of discussion and strategy. I'd love to be able to pick what weapon I start with, for example, but have never found how to make that happen and end up pitchforking until I get lucky and find another weapon.

You can buy weapons in the "town" when you spawn. I always spend end-of-run cash on meta upgrades, mostly for stamina and health, and go with the class starter weapon or whatever I find. Beyond that, I prefer heavy swinging weapons to break up trees and rocks. If I find a good big weapon, then I'll carry a bow or small quick weapon as a backup. Gaining the ability to smash rocks, wood and crystals ASAP is important to breaking the economy.

I'd be playing it a lot more if the Switch version wasn't such a mess. It's a fabulous piece of work. There's not a ton of documentation for it online and I wouldn't be surprised if there are still unknown secrets.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

beer gas canister posted:

You can buy weapons in the "town" when you spawn. I always spend end-of-run cash on meta upgrades, mostly for stamina and health, and go with the class starter weapon or whatever I find. Beyond that, I prefer heavy swinging weapons to break up trees and rocks. If I find a good big weapon, then I'll carry a bow or small quick weapon as a backup. Gaining the ability to smash rocks, wood and crystals ASAP is important to breaking the economy.

I'd be playing it a lot more if the Switch version wasn't such a mess. It's a fabulous piece of work. There's not a ton of documentation for it online and I wouldn't be surprised if there are still unknown secrets.

I see where I'd be able to buy weapons in the start town before going through any portals, but there's just a bunch of outlines of weapons on tables and no way as far as I know to buy them.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by classes; is that something you pick on the screen with the metacurrency?

I agree with you, it's a pretty interesting game and seems to hold a lot of mystery.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You get more classes by doing certain feats in game. Rewards for achievements, basically.

The permanent stat upgrades quickly get super expensive. It doesn't take long before you'll get further in the game quicker by juicing up your current run with stuff you can buy in the castle, instead of spending everything on a single stat point.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think non-cosmetic metaprogression is ok if it's handled like desktop dungeons where (most of) the unlocks are not strict upgrades per se, but once they're in the game gets iteratively more complex. All of the critical ones (like the gods) are fairly quick to unlock and the main metaprogression after a certain point is the stupyfying amount of gold needed to buy extra locker slots (which is pure convenience).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

reposting from the steam thread:

quote:

I'll just throw out a Game Awareness Post for Golden Light here. it's one of the most inscrutable things I've ever touched, kind of bullshit sometimes, and still the most captivating first person roguelite I've played. out of all the roguelites I've played it's the one that comes the closest to capturing the feel of an actual roguelike, where it's not clear what anything does, what's friendly and what will try to kill you, what kinds of tricks you can use to get an edge, when to fight and when to run, what good play even looks like, etc. I'm not gonna categorically recommend it or anything, because I mean fuckin' look at it, only you can say whether it might be your thing or not, but I've enjoyed what I've played of it more than expected. I think I'm about halfway to the end?

it also now has online coop, and while it was pretty buggy when I last played, I enjoyed what I played of it and there's been bugfixes since then so it could be better now.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've been dipping my toes into ICoV, wouldn't mind a bit of discussion and strategy. I'd love to be able to pick what weapon I start with, for example, but have never found how to make that happen and end up pitchforking until I get lucky and find another weapon.

Different classes start with different weapons, also you can find weapon schematics (they're kinda rare but they do start showing up eventually) which allow you to trade carry over XP for the weapon before you set out.

In very general advice, leveling up is a trap early on (other than a few points of move speed.) It takes quite a few levels to really make a difference, you will generally get better results using that XP to enhance your next run, get further and learn more. If you find a nice heavy blunt weapon (or get a bunch of strength, or a combination of), you can use it to break anything you don't want or can't afford before you leave an area. Broken things drop resources. If you see a ghost merchant murder him post haste.

Those are the things that I recall learning from someone and not from the game, that I was really happy to learn. I really like the game and am happy to chat about it more. I just don't want to overshoot when a lot of the joy is learning.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I may have posted this in here already, but: holy poo poo does Rogue Legacy 2 feel harder than the first game.

Like, I beat the first game on my... eighth? run, something like that. Before unlocking all the classes or anything. RL2 kills you like that, but the increased mechanical depth doesn't make it feel TOO much like bullshit, or that what you need is better stats, you just need to Get Gooder, but it's awfully punishing. I don't like the incremental stat upgrades of metaprogression, but I find it more appealing in a game built entirely around it rather than a game where it feels like a crammed-in overlay, and RL feels a lot more like the first than the second to me.

Of course, maybe I'm full of poo poo; I'm one of those people who didn't think Spelunky 2 felt harder than Spelunky 1 really.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any traditional turn-based roguelikes that have the kind of wildly swaying power balance based on build-defining random artifacts/relics/etc that's common in Roguelites like Isaac?

I don't like metaprogression but that kind of "sometimes you just get a build that vomits missiles and lasers everywhere" randomness of roguelites is fun to me and sounds like it would be fun in a traditional roguelike.

e: Like, not just "finding a powerful sword early", but items that drastically change the way your character plays

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 25, 2021

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are there any traditional turn-based roguelikes that have the kind of wildly swaying power balance based on build-defining random artifacts/relics/etc that's common in Roguelites like Isaac?

I don't like metaprogression but that kind of "sometimes you just get a build that vomits missiles and lasers everywhere" randomness of roguelites is fun to me and sounds like it would be fun in a traditional roguelike.

e: Like, not just "finding a powerful sword early", but items that drastically change the way your character plays

In ADOM it can become possible to bookcast the spell wish, making you functionally immortal unless you terribly misplay. You'd basically never in the lifetime of this planet luck into it all at once, but it might be possible? You can end up close enough by luck that it's a short term goal, but even then it would be at endgame.

Rift Wizard? It's only semi traditional though.

Caves of Qud is probably the closest. You can end up just about literally with a build that vomits missiles and lasers everywhere.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Cogmind constantly forces the player to change their build from the ground up because all carried equipment also serves as destructible armor

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A Strange Aeon posted:

don't you... more or less immediately start unlocking weapon blueprints?

(although the Soldier class's spear is imo one of the best starting weapons anyway)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Cogmind's a good call. Brogue is probably the only thing I can think of where a random wand of fireballs will make you say "gently caress it, I'm a mage now!" and dump the sword. The traditional/turn-based requirement is surprisingly constrictive!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

don't you... more or less immediately start unlocking weapon blueprints?

(although the Soldier class's spear is imo one of the best starting weapons anyway)

It's been a bit since I started but I recall it taking quite awhile for me to get one, or possibly just a useful one. I don't mean that you can't get them immediately, just that they aren't particularly common and I know it took me a bit to be able to usefully change my starting weapon.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mithross posted:

It's been a bit since I started but I recall it taking quite awhile for me to get one, or possibly just a useful one. I don't mean that you can't get them immediately, just that they aren't particularly common and I know it took me a bit to be able to usefully change my starting weapon.

Yeah, I've never found a weapon blueprint if that's what I'm looking for. I have easily three times as many kills on the starting pitchfork as any other weapon, since sometimes I don't find a better one until the 2nd mirror.

I've occasionally found weapons that can smash rocks and it seems essential, because otherwise you have to use a surge to access some treasures.

And what is the benefit of going into the dungeon? Is there a great reward I've never managed to get or is it just a decent place to get resources?

And how do you deal with swamp gas? A decent run ended in the sewers because I couldn't find a way through the maze full of gas fast enough I guess. Is there some kind of gas mask that I just didn't find?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i'm very glad people are finding spirits abyss because of my post. I've been playing it more and its just such a lovely game. it's got a real OG dark fairytale tone, which i mean less in terms of 'tim burton bullshit' and more in terms of 'basically child murder'. you're a little kid who was thrown into the underworld on the blood moon night and you have to try and survive and return to the surface after completing your quest (which changes in length and objective based on the game mode). you meet all kinds of strange and fantastical creatures who are varying degrees of friendly to hostile.

this charming noodle armed ghost who lives in a traincar is one of my favourites

all the writing is in this weird idiosyncratic style, which i think if done worse would be annoying but as it is its kind of infectious and charming. its difficult to not start thinking of things as 'forsakenly cursed' or 'freezing & frostal' after youve been playing for a while.

the character classes i've found so far are all unlocked by finding and helping other lost children which will unlock their clan to play as. every clan has a unique primary weapon and unique bomb as well as mildly different stats (stuff like health and jump height) and also completely unique upgrades which you pick between levels.

heres some examples of the classes, i will put a couple of the ones i have unlocked in spoiler tags as well in case anyone wants to see examples of how they are unlocked:

Clan Katanachi - probably my favourite class so far, this is one of the starter classes. has a katana melee attack that can be aimed in any of the 8 directions, and the most spelunky-style throwable timebombs. the katana attack has a big arc and can hit through walls sometimes, so its easier to protect yourself from dreadful bats and flying skulls by spamming it. upgrades include remote triggered bombs, slash waves that come out of your horizontal katana attacks, and dangerously unpredictable cursed bombs.

Clan Alchemistro - the other starter class, this one starts with an infinite ammo gun that can be fired in the 8 directions, and their bombs are rockets fired from their gun that blow up on impact. ultimately probably more powerful and versatile than clan katanachi, but the gun shots are weaker than the katana attacks, and its kind of fiddly to aim sometimes. their upgrades include regular stuff like stronger bullets and stronger rockets, but also weird stuff like shmup-style orbiting sidekicks of various styles and ricocheting shots.

Clan Minesmither - the first unlockable class I found. their melee weapon is a pickaxe, and their bomb... is a pickaxe. when you press the bomb button they mine out a square in the direction you're aiming, and receive a hefty multiplier on bomb pickups so that you can mine a lot. however their jumping ability is worse than average. their upgrades are all runesmithing themed, and range from better jumps, even bigger bomb multiplier, to stuff like sympathetically mining out nearby gems when you strike a wall, or throwing out a ghost hammer when you attack. I unlocked them by blowing open a caved-in door i found in a level, then bombing my way through the cave it opened into. I found the minesmither child in the corner, weak from hunger, so I fed them a slice of banana pizza to give them energy to escape!

an example of how much love and care is put into the game is that the between level areas are presented as a fall into a deeper pit, and the upgrades come out of a pipe that is dropped down from your family on the surface to help you out. normally you can only pick one of the upgrades then fall to the next level, but if you get the fishing rod item, after your character falls down off the bottom of the screen, their fishing line flies back up and you get to grab a second upgrade. i feel like most games with a 'you can pick one extra upgrade' would just let you pick one extra before the next level, but this one item has its whole unique and funny animation.

its hard to express the level and depth of charm this game has, and it's backed up by really good gameplay. it has the same sort of 'hard but fair' thing that spelunky has, but to me is less frustrating than spelunky because i could never get to grips with the controls in spelunky, i was always loving up and hurling myself off poo poo.

so far i've found (i think) 11 biomes in this game, i've not gotten super far in the longest adventure type, but 5 of them were unlocked via gates that show up in some interstitial stages, and one i just found was unlocked a secret and weird way. the biomes all have unique enemies and obstacles, and also biome i guess 'moods' like DoomRL has. your character says a little line at the start if there's a mood active, and it's pretty obvious because the entire level looks different and has variant enemies and obstacles.

for example the first stage, Haunted Burials, has 3 moods that i've seen:
- regular
- forsakenly cursed ('cursed' is a kind of purplish condition in the game that usually means unpredictability and explosions, items and enemies and stages can appear as cursed so look out)
- frostal (snowy variant)

the moods have a pretty major effect on the biome, so much that you could almost class them as discreet biomes of their own.

idk, I feel like I could go on forever about this game. it's the only game i've ever seen where the discussion page has multiple threads titled 'this game is underpriced'. as far as i'm aware caiysware is a one man team, and i hope he is making enough money off his games to live comfortably. each of them outstrips games ive seen from full studios founded by former AAA devs (more on that in my next roundup post)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I got Spirits Abyss early on in EA and liked it well enough but your post is gonna make me carve out some time to really sink my teeth into it today :) thank you!

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

So I've been playing The Magister in the past week. While far from perfect, it's fulfilling a niche that I like and very easy to pick up and play. Finished my first game last night, and I really like how everything came together.

Summed up: it's a procedural murder mystery. Your predecessor was killed at an inn, and your goal is to discover who did it, how it was done and why. It's basically an elaborate version of Cluedo. You have eight suspects, each with certain characteristics, and you'll find hints on who did it which will eventually let you pinpoint who did it. You uncover clues by fulfilling quests, interrogating suspects, or sometimes via random encounters. Combat itself is deck-based, as is tactical diplomacy when you just want to talk something out(like Griftlands). There are also tons of minigames, like a dice game, logic puzzles when deducing something, or catching someone in a lie, Ace Attorney-style., that sort of thing. In my opinion, there are a few too many of these, but it can keep things a bit fresh. At the same time, there is a time limit of 14 days and I found myself often juggling several tasks at the same time.

Character customisation is pretty limited and somewhat randomised from the start. Each character also starts with a downside which, I found, does impact the gameplay. My devout Magister would need to visit the temple every day(taking up precious time), whereas my psychotic one is basically brawling his way through every encounter and just can't seem to respond normally to anything.

Honestly, I don't think it's a perfect game. The structure is a bit odd that you basically have to befriend the suspects before they'll tell you what they know about the murder. There's not as much randomised as I would want(AFAIK, the initial clues are the same) But it's scratching an itch for me. A single game is fairly short, I dig the general setup of solving small issues in a small hamlet, the time management and slowly uncovering what happened. Plus, it's one of the few roguelikes that plays well on my Surface Go, so there's also that. At €12,50, I definitely am happy with the game.

I couldn't find any mention about it in the thread and wanted to check who else has played it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm still having trouble breaking into double-digit rifts in Rift Wizard, often not even halfway there before I get overwhelmed, usually from running out of spells at a bad moment

Anyone have any recommends for getting started on the right foot? the only early synergy I'm particularly aware of is dark bolt/dark pact, my attempts to find others have met with little success (except that Chain Lightning kinda rocks)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
lighting wizard is the easiest way to win imo.
This quick guide from Kanos is good:

Kanos posted:

The build that works really well for me is generally something like this:
  • Start with Lightning Bolt, obviously.
  • Your next pickup will be Chain Lightning, followed by Death Shock. These two spells are your powerhouse workhorses that will do the majority of your killing; CL is for killing huge mobs of stuff, Death Shock is for killing portals and small groups of tougher enemies. Death Shock also conveniently owns a lot of the common lightning resist mobs.
  • Get Thunder Lord. At this point CL should start becoming a ridiculous room sweeper.
  • Get Thunder Strike and the Blindcasting upgrade. This provides you with crowd control on targets you can't just annihilate, good single target damage, and the ability to snipe stuff from over walls, which is hugely important.
  • Get Lightning Form. It's an insanely good spell that provides both a ton of survivability(physical and lightning immunity) and also an insane amount of mobility - now Lightning Bolt is a teleport spell, and Thunder Strike lets you teleport over walls.
  • Get Lightning Frenzy and Arch Sorcerer to stack more damage.
  • Get Arc Lightning. This will become your default "move around with lightning form" spell and it does a huge amount of aoe damage in the process.
  • Get Conductance and upgrade it with the Resistance Debuff and Multicopy options. This is your final sanction against tough single target enemies and also breaks lightning immunes in half. Casting an upgraded Conductance on the final boss and hitting him with an upgraded Thunder Strike can do hundreds of damage on its own in addition to stunning him.

Once you have all of this stuff(which should be doable by the early teens or so, depending on circle luck), you're pretty much cruising and can focus on upgrading your spells or picking up extra damage adds like Holy Thunder. Priority for upgrades at this point should be Arc Lightning(echo flash is BUSTED, as is number of targets). Increasing the cascade ranges/numbers on Death Shock and Chain Lightning is both hilarious and can lead to very high spell efficiency because you can clear entire floors with just a couple of well placed casts, but they're not really needed to win.

For play strategy, aside from going for lightning/sorcery circles, once you get CL/Death Shock you really want to focus on wide open floors with relatively densely packed enemies that let you flex your massive area of effect power. Once you get all your synergies rolling you can wipe floors like that in just a couple of casts, whereas the rat maze floors with tons of blind corners and spread out enemies are your weakness and they will drain a ton of your resources to clear.

Once you get to the final boss just Conductance him and drop Thunder Strikes and Death Shocks on his head until he explodes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Has anyone played Approaching Infinity? Any good?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Samopsa posted:

lighting wizard is the easiest way to win imo.
This quick guide from Kanos is good:

Much appreciated, I'll give that a go today :cheers:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i got the furthest ive ever gotten in rift wizard using that lightning build, but i picked a rift with a bunch of ice liches and tormentors and it turned out to be just a completely open room and they shot me to death in the first 2 turns

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i got the furthest ive ever gotten in rift wizard using that lightning build, but i picked a rift with a bunch of ice liches and tormentors and it turned out to be just a completely open room and they shot me to death in the first 2 turns

You can peek into rifts to see the layouts then back out. After the first 10 rifts or so, layout is generally my #1 priority for evaluating a rift over items and monster types.

This is also a great moment to use something like Darkness or an energy shield.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
You might already know this but it’s important to know in rift wizard that you can buff before going into a rift.

There used to be a really dumb eye build where you’d cast a bunch of “more damage” spells, cast all the eyes, then go into the rift and watch your 40 damage eyes kill everything. I’m not sure if the eyes work this way still, though.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

nrook posted:

You might already know this but it’s important to know in rift wizard that you can buff before going into a rift.

gently caress

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kvlt! posted:

Has anyone played Approaching Infinity? Any good?

I had a lot of fun with it, though it gets a bit repetitive after awhile. The way everything scales up, you could probably play it forever but (and maybe this is being planned) I think things could maybe change up a bit more after every 10 systems or so, so it's more than just numbers going up. This is present already to some extent based on the factions you may encounter in a given system, but I'd want more.

I certainly didn't see everything in the 31 hours I put into it, but I felt like I saw most things. The bulk of my playtime was on one run, so it's a bit like Transcendence in that way.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
My first win on rift wizard was using wolves => blue lions => avoid any closed in room and laugh with your unlimited shields. One of the later levels took over 1000 turns, but it got the job done.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Blue lions is extremely strong but I have sworn off picking it because it makes the game so loving boring

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So I finally bit the bullet and bought Demoncrawl on steam, holy poo poo guys this game is so much fun

It took me a bit to really get into it, but the second I picked up a level 2 mastery (Wizard, in case you were wondering) everything really clicked. Suddenly it was no longer just minesweeper with a bunch of items that situationally helped, now I had a build with synergies to look for, and an incredible amount of staying power when it went off. And it probably helps that I got a lot better at minesweeper while playing.

I uh, maybe stayed up too late playing it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

You can peek into rifts to see the layouts then back out. After the first 10 rifts or so, layout is generally my #1 priority for evaluating a rift over items and monster types.

This is also a great moment to use something like Darkness or an energy shield.

huh i did not know that, thanks!

since i am in a posting mood here are more roguelikes i have played:

Rogue Empire - this is a traditional type roguelike, but with tiles and a more modern GUI so think like TOME or the version of ADOM that's on the store. there are 7 races, 5 classes (+2 classes and 1 more race with the dlc) which gives a decent amount of combos, albeit not as much as like TOME or DCSS. what make it unique though is at level up you get to pick from a set of cards when you level up, with varying degree of rarities, which means how your character is going to shape out is less predictable than just going with a set build, and is more based around amplifying the strength of the stuff you end up with. There is also some type of metaprogression which I have not delved much into, primarily because my current game (treeman necromancer!) is going very well. it's one of the DLC classes but I have been having a lot of fun with my army of skellingtons and wraiths.

https://i.imgur.com/5WmE3ju.mp4
you can turn the floating text off if you want
The art is nicely done and well presented, but there are some weird font choices in UI. like a kind of angular sci fi font that doesn't entirely fit the game.

I probably havent gotten far enough into the game to give a fair judgement, but it feels like a version of TOME that is more comprehensible to mere mortals like me (a manageable number of stats and abilities), with some more modern roguelike elements. that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on you, but the steam page reviewers all have very high hours played counts, which has to mean it is doing something right. there are a couple of story campaigns and infinite dungeon/time attack/score attack modes too.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/650940/Rogue_Empire_Dungeon_Crawler_RPG/

Roboquest - this is a roguelike fps, in a similar mold to gunfire reborn. the story is basically that you're an ancient guardian robot revived by a wasteland scavenger/inventor to try and reclaim the cities from the evil forces of the robot apocalypse. it's a little earlier in early access than gunfire reborn, but I like it better, because what is has over gunfire reborn is great feeling guns, great sound design, and awesome animations for the weapons and the player character. you really feel like you're a weighty big robot, and all the guns feel punchy and unique and have little onscreen visual sound effects too which is nice for hearing impaired gamers.

the way stats are handled is similar to dead cells, there there are (in this case) 4 stats (assault/technology/demolition/precision) tied to different themes of weapons, and gaining levels in those stats will increase the power of those weapons. also like in dead cells some weapons are split type, and will go based on the higher of the two stats. the metaprogression is based around upgrading your scavenger friend's base camp, which comes with nice visual changes. another thing I like more than gunfire reborn is that there aren't really any lovely little microstat increases, every upgrade is something like '1 additional weapon choice at game start' or '1 additional perk choice at level up'.

there are 4 different classes of robot you can be, guardian/recon/engineer/commando, who each come with their own unique active, passive, and melee attack. for example the recon is a guy with stealth powers who can generate combo points via kills and then spend them on a powerful dagger melee attack, whereas the engineer summons little gun drones and has a short range hand blasters that makes enemies poop out scrap which reduces the cooldown on summoning more drones. there's a 5th stat you will find sometimes called 'robo' which boosts your class abilities, and helpfully the class selection screen tells you what each point of robo will get you instead of you having to guess.

the combat feels great, and there is a big focus on mobility. you can do a cool guy butt slide, double jump, grind on rails, all kinds of stuff. the music is like, pretty great heavy techno like you'd find in a wipeout game or something. there is a huge selection of weapons, everything has infinite ammo, and stuff is divided between 'reloading' weapons and 'cooling' weapons. reloading weapons, uh, have to reload after a set number of rounds, whereas cooling weapons have an overheat bar. this distinction isn't just a quirk of the weapons, it's enshrined in the level up perks, which will have unique effects sometimes on each type of weapon. like 'bonus movespeed after reloading' or 'cooling weapons deal more damage while in the red zone'.

there are a lot of homages to classic FPS weapons too, like i think most of the unreal tournament arsenal is here in one form or another, the gluon gun from half life is here, the weird assault rifle/minigun hybrid from borderlands is here. but there's a lot of original ones too, and they're either kinda scavenger punk style, futuristic military, or straight up ipod futuristic looking depending on type. they also seem to have been animated by someone with an appreciation for real guns, because theres stuff like the AK equivalent having no dust cover, so you can see the entire return spring and slide assembly animate as it fires. also the FPS holy grail is present, a good feeling and useful flamethrower!

the finished assets for this game are of a very high quality, but you will run into unfinished stuff that sticks out pretty obviously. even so, this is definitely fun as it is and also worth watching. I would write more about it but i feel like I have done too much already. its worth noting that the development is very active and they are constantly tuning and rebalancing stuff to make it more fun, as well as adding more content.

oh also theres online coop play
https://store.steampowered.com/app/692890/Roboquest/

Source of Madness - this is another early access winner for me. it's a lovecraftian platformer/shooter where you play as a cultist (of yog sothoth or hastur, im not sure) out to fight the elder gods and their minions who are invading the world. the unique selling point of the game is the fact that all the unknowable horrors are generated and animated using some variety of eldritch nightmare AI. if you've ever seen those really freaky google deep dream gifs, this is halfway between that and the intelligent animation from Spore (aka the best part of that game).
https://i.imgur.com/zz3S9rE.mp4
the entire art style of the game is a combination of hand drawn and AI processed, which gives everything this kind of dreamlike, uncanny feel which is very fitting for the setting. your cultist's flowing robes are animated very nicely and there are a lot of physics interactions with terrain and props and monsters. the way the monsters are made, all their attacks and movement are tied to different limbs, so if you want to disable a specific attack you are going to have to destroy that limb by some means.

your cultist gets two magic rings slots, which determine your two main spells, as well as two arcane item slots, which are basically cooldown abilities like shields or arcane turret summons or sometimes consumables. you can also double jump and dash in a fun, floaty way. the spells range from generic magic missiles and fireballs to stuff like short range guillotine blades and blood magic. there's an element system here (nature, arcane, earth, occult, fire, lightning, possibly some others too) and some monsters are elementally aligned to either be strong or weak against certain ones.

the ring spells are infinitely castable, limited only by their refire speed, and have a nice rhythm where they do a couple of regular casts and then an 'ultimate' cast, kind of like melee combos in other games. for the boulder spell this means firing a few smallish boulders, then one fuckin huge one, so it adds an element of timing to the game instead of it just being a case of attrition spam. there's also a lot of physics stuff which can both harm and aid you. one random setpiece i ran into was a set of windmills, where some of the blades had crystalline spikes growing on them. I ran into a loving huge monster later in the level, and managed to backtrack with it all the way to the windmills, and blasted boulders at the windmills until the spinning spike blades cut off a bunch of the monsters limbs. I also found a black hole conjuring item, which had a surprisingly large radius and strong gravitational pull.

theres a metaprogression tree that is kind of like the dead cells one, where you can upgrade your healing flask, the amount of items you start with, how many charges your dash has etc. you can also unlock classes by finding their altars out in the world, so far i've found pyromancer and geomancer, and the meta progression trees they unlocked are mostly new spell rings to find out in the world.

there's a variety of huge and strange environments in the game, and it just updated today adding a bunch more biomes and a new player class (bloodmancer), so it is in very active development.

my main criticisms so far are that some of the levels are really fuckin huge and confusing (which kind of fits the theme really), and that some of the spells seem kinda lovely compared to others. I'm sure they will be balanced in time though.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1315610/Source_of_Madness/

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, I've never found a weapon blueprint if that's what I'm looking for. I have easily three times as many kills on the starting pitchfork as any other weapon, since sometimes I don't find a better one until the 2nd mirror.

I've occasionally found weapons that can smash rocks and it seems essential, because otherwise you have to use a surge to access some treasures.

And what is the benefit of going into the dungeon? Is there a great reward I've never managed to get or is it just a decent place to get resources?

And how do you deal with swamp gas? A decent run ended in the sewers because I couldn't find a way through the maze full of gas fast enough I guess. Is there some kind of gas mask that I just didn't find?

They will start turning up, in particular the ghost merchant will always drop one if he happens to spawn.

I'm not sure of the exact way it works, but it's a combination of strength and smashing power (the second "attack" looking stat on weapons) that determines if you can break things. I think blunt weapons might get a bonus to rocks/crystals and sharp weapons to trees/etc.

The dungeons usually/always(not sure which) have a secret treasure behind a blue sealed door, you can find four hidden switches (they can be pressure plates, actual switches, or a couple other things). Don't count on finding it, the dungeon is generally just going to bog you down with traps and horseshit. I generally only go if my run is going strong already.

There's no secret gas mask that you'll find before the sewers/swamp. You just kind of don't go those ways if you don't want to deal with it.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ok ok I guess I’m buying spirits abyss, that sounds great.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

important thing i forgot to say about roboquest: you can goomba stomp enemy robots and bounce off their heads like mario. there are both perk upgrades and gadgets (passives you pick w/ your class and unlock more of by upgrading the camp) themed around enhancing your goomba stomping powers.

edit: ok so since i last played they have added a shitload of weapons, including what i think is a Regular Show reference (giant oversized robot hulk hands that shoot lasers from the fingertips and do super punches as an alt fire) and the dual bladed chainsaw from doom 64

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 25, 2021

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

huh i did not know that, thanks!

since i am in a posting mood here are more roguelikes i have played:

Rogue Empire - this is a traditional type roguelike, but with tiles and a more modern GUI so think like TOME or the version of ADOM that's on the store. there are 7 races, 5 classes (+2 classes and 1 more race with the dlc) which gives a decent amount of combos, albeit not as much as like TOME or DCSS. what make it unique though is at level up you get to pick from a set of cards when you level up, with varying degree of rarities, which means how your character is going to shape out is less predictable than just going with a set build, and is more based around amplifying the strength of the stuff you end up with. There is also some type of metaprogression which I have not delved much into, primarily because my current game (treeman necromancer!) is going very well. it's one of the DLC classes but I have been having a lot of fun with my army of skellingtons and wraiths.

This looks pretty good. I'm getting Dungeonmans / Golden Krone / Tangledeep where it's a proper roguelike but with a decent amount of graphics and UI polish. I also get overwhelmed in TOME so this will probably work for me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
@spirits abyss: got a pretty good Soul Survivor score just now

(this is the gamemode where you fight endless waves of enemies and die in one hit)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/cavesofqud/status/1452766546296590340

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

I had a lot of fun with it, though it gets a bit repetitive after awhile. The way everything scales up, you could probably play it forever but (and maybe this is being planned) I think things could maybe change up a bit more after every 10 systems or so, so it's more than just numbers going up. This is present already to some extent based on the factions you may encounter in a given system, but I'd want more.

I certainly didn't see everything in the 31 hours I put into it, but I felt like I saw most things. The bulk of my playtime was on one run, so it's a bit like Transcendence in that way.

This sounds good enough for me, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sounds like maybe now is the time to check out Qud if I've had it on my wishlist for what feels like ages?