Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

mfny posted:

God drat Forza Horizon 5 be looking good : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2fs89aItOA

No offense to the SeX but I finally managed to get me a 3080 so FH5 can't come soon enough.

Even now I am still amazed at how good looking FH4 is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone interested in playing a co op game of Conan Exiles or Rust? I really enjoyed fooling around with these games, but it’s clear you really need to be playing with someone besides yourself, both for fun banter and just being able to get stuff done.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

mfny posted:

God drat Forza Horizon 5 be looking good : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2fs89aItOA

Seriously can't wait for this, though I have a feeling my aging laptop is going to have a Chernobyl-level meltdown when I fire it up

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Forza Horizon 5 looking amazing and tomorrow morning we're finally getting to see take 2 on the Halo Infinite campaign. https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1452427948460412928

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Red Warrior posted:

Forza Horizon 5 looking amazing and tomorrow morning we're finally getting to see take 2 on the Halo Infinite campaign. https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1452427948460412928

6 AM PT? That can't be right.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's just a YouTube video.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
youre a youtube video

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

BoosterDuck posted:

youre a youtube video

Huge if true

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Don't forget to like, comment and subscribe.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

McTimmy posted:

6 AM PT? That can't be right.

Yeah, PT's a PlayStation exclusive.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Looks like they got some Far Cry in my Halo, but I'm alright with that.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Yeah like take Silent Cartographer and make that the whole game. Fine with that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCbMVbeKlCg

upgrade trees seem like a weird match for halo.
besides that, looks pretty solid.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It looks fine. Lots of nostalgia mixed with some new stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't know, to me it looks pretty lame compared to previous Halo campaigns (I don't remember 5's, though).

I'll still play it since it's on Game Pass.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

dumb quippy dialogue, boring-rear end open world far cry poo poo.... looks like a perfect game pass game

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
It looks fun. The multitude of vehicles available should keep the open world stuff from getting too dull. :)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm just a huge boomer but the open world stuff is very boring to me, a super unfitting of an FPS like Halo. Give me linear "levels" with side paths and choke points. BLACK has some of the best FPS level design for my old guy brain. Give me a game from 2005 but with really good graphics, not this modern Breath of the Halo.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Man to me the best bits of the original Halo were the semi-open worldy bits, so expanding on that seems like an interesting thing to do to me. Like 343s last games have just been getting funneled through levels, I'm done with that.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I read someone saying there's open world sections that you move between as the game progresses, and not just one big open world. But that could just be bullshit.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Red Warrior posted:

Man to me the best bits of the original Halo were the semi-open worldy bits, so expanding on that seems like an interesting thing to do to me. Like 343s last games have just been getting funneled through levels, I'm done with that.
Exactly how I feel. The games only work for me when you get into open spaces, have the option to ride vehicles, and encounter multiple factions that can be hostile to one another. The corridors are the worst parts in this particular series.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/25/22738056/microsoft-xbox-pc-games-steam-nvidia-geforce-now-streaming

Woooooooooooooo

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah Halo has always been best in open arena areas imo. Who knows about the traversing the world part of the open world, but the combat areas being open absolutely looks great to me. The guns feel good to shoot and there seems to be a good amount of random sandboxy stuff to do so Im pretty excited.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

It seems to cost 100 bucks per year though. The free option only supports 1-hour sessions.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John F Bennett posted:

It seems to cost 100 bucks per year though. The free option only supports 1-hour sessions.

I have the grandfathered in RTX 2080 plan that is only $5 a month.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Never been interested in Halo but if the new one is similar to Far Cry I’ll at least give it a look on game pass.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

I'm just a huge boomer but the open world stuff is very boring to me, a super unfitting of an FPS like Halo. Give me linear "levels" with side paths and choke points. BLACK has some of the best FPS level design for my old guy brain. Give me a game from 2005 but with really good graphics, not this modern Breath of the Halo.

The open world isn’t that big of a stretch for Halo tbqh. While stages did have a linear progression the games thrived from giving players large combat sandboxes to play around in. It’s something I find respectable about the original Halo trilogy, they were very mechanics-driven games and allow for ridiculous slapstick moments caused by the physics and the emergent gameplay that comes from abusing the game’s systems.

The Scarab fights from 3 are great examples. Instead of following a set path, the Scarab has its own AI and moves around a wide battlefield freely. There are a bunch of ways to deal with a Scarab, you can grab a Mongoose with a marine who has a rocket launcher in the back and circle around it shooting out its legs. You can grab a grav lift hidden in the level and deploy it in the right place to send yourself up on top of the scarab and skip shooting the legs. You can climb up a crane to get high above it and drop down from below, you can get behind it and open the back to get a clear shot at the core without boarding it in the first place, or you can do a trick jump off a ramp and crash your car onto the scarab. Meanwhile, you have a lot of moving operating around the Scarab. Enemy vehicles coming out to intercept you, multiple different types of enemies on top of the Scarab using different weapons and equipment that you need to worry about, allied marines trying to help you, explosions sending stuff flying, just a ton of different elements bouncing off of each other

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder how much consideration is being given to speedrunning, if any

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

RBA Starblade posted:

Well there is a run button, so

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The new AI character in Halo looks to be the most annoying thing ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want them to bring back Cortana. That was absolutely no reason to make her evil, and then disappear and make her a focus of the story. Microsoft took her away because fans were horny, and this is our punishment.

Belan
May 7, 2007
The new AI is going to merge with Cortana and teach her the power of love.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not that anyone would actually want to play like this, but lol that someone had to go through and flip a switch just to prevent the bad optics of it.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1452688611527335941

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

you’ll be able to start the game and immediately run past all the enemies straight to the control room to hit the self-destruct button and destroy halo

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I said come in! posted:

I just want them to bring back Cortana. That was absolutely no reason to make her evil, and then disappear and make her a focus of the story. Microsoft took her away because fans were horny, and this is our punishment.

Are Halo 4 and 5 where the whole Cortana thing happens? I've played all of the Halo games except the RTS, and 1-3+ODST/Reach seemed pretty straightforward "here is a bad faction that we add nuance to, here's another very bad faction (flood), here's some background mystery stuff that isn't critical (precursors)". Then 4 I guess assumed I read some comics or books because it was baffling. 5 seemed to go all in on the Evil Cortana thing but other than "save Cortana" I'm not sure why I should care, and I'm not sure why I should care about an AI sidekick in the first place when Windows 10 has pretty good rollback that would seem to solve any Evil problems.

For example, I guess the Precursors are back (thanks to Cortana?) and are bad(?) but it feels like there's a blob of missing connective tissue somewhere. Like they're trying to do their own take on Revelation Space a la Mass Effect but without the benefit of a sprawling RPG.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Unrelated but if you have Game Pass and an XSX (can't speak for PC/XSS) I want to pile on the recommendation for Sable. Maybe it shits the bed at the end but it's been patched up enough to be a fun time for at least a couple of hours of nonstop exploration (then maybe a memory leak takes over?). It's like BOTW except without the middling combat (or any combat) and garbage dialogue and with outstanding ambient "nature" sound. Others have praised the soundtrack but I mostly strongly dislike it (hated the vocal track early on) because it feels like the designer was insecure about the use of just ambient sound, but fortunately for me the music slider can be lowered way down, so it's basically win-win.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I said come in! posted:

AIs going rampant was a Bungie tradition that 343 carried forward. :v:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Bring back Durandal and have him destroy all the universes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

External Organs posted:

Bring back Durandal and have him destroy all the universes.

Give him blue tits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

More excited for the multiplayer than the campaign mode but seems like an improvement vs. the last time we saw the campaign.