Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I know the developers of House of Ash said it wouldn't all be a hallucination/dream, but did they find a loophole which made that technically true, or did they actually follow through on their promise?

Nope, its all real. I was worried it was all gonna be hallucination/in your head crap but its actually there. The escalation of the threat is one of the best parts of the game. There is a lot of direct movie references and each "movie feel" is the next level of escalation*.

There's really strong character arcs as well. I actually gave a crap about the characters and going from hating some to rooting for them by the end, its really really well done.

*If you really wanna know, this is effectively a spoiler since knowing the movie kinda gives away the tone

Goes from the Descent, to Predator, to Dusk til Dawn, to Alien

*edit*

If any of yall need a "feel" for the game, I wound up doing the whole thing on my stream in 1 sitting. Can clip around and see if its for you or not, but I highly recommend it. Maybe a few days will change my mind cause im coming hot off the game but right now I think its better than Until Dawn

https://twitch.tv/videos/1184198886

WARNING: Lots of fighting game talk

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/adrianhon/status/1451572042944368640?t=0FRJwUrwbeoyjVZyAAhlyg&s=19

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The true horror of 4VR is that it pushes you out of first person when Leon kicks and at least when I play 4, all I do is kicks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bussamove posted:

Yeah, there’s being angry as a bit and then there’s just becoming increasingly more bitter and un-fun to watch and Wolfe went into that second category a couple years ago now.

Also yes Inscryption very good. Banged on through to the ending tonight, the finale is great.

Does Inscryption keep with the spooky vibe throughout the game? I saw in the trailer after the demo that there were shots of a game like an JRPG a couple times and liked the normal game enough to not want it to go Frog Fractions and turn into something completely different.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
It remains spooky BUT definitely changes. Basically it goes from spooky cabin to spooky video game in general, with the changes in the specific kind of spookiness that go with it ("is that cabin dude gonna eat me if I don't play along" vs "omg the data is HAUNTED") and so the first segment (the one everyone knows) is still the spookiest by far. It's also because it becomes more enamored with its ARG side rather than keeping the escape room tricks centered on the direct player experience.

Chev fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 23, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Now, I'm wondering if I should get House of Ashes, Inscryption, or Fatal Frame this month. (Super Robot Wars is also a contender as a non-spooky game.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Does Inscryption keep with the spooky vibe throughout the game? I saw in the trailer after the demo that there were shots of a game like an JRPG a couple times and liked the normal game enough to not want it to go Frog Fractions and turn into something completely different.

It absolutely does and not in ways you expect. Even the meta stuff starts getting unsettling super fast.

Gameplay actually gets deeper the further you go even when the game becomes its older-generation type self, it starts unveiling new card mechanics and lets you alter your deck.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bogart posted:

The true horror of 4VR is that it pushes you out of first person when Leon kicks and at least when I play 4, all I do is kicks.

I was secretly hoping it would stick with disorienting first person camera for suplexes :(

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

i'm not a fan of how they made leon less horny

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Captain DIEgiene posted:

I was secretly hoping it would stick with disorienting first person camera for suplexes :(

hey End of Zoe had a first-person suplex!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Speedball posted:

hey End of Zoe had a first-person suplex!

Yeah I loved that, I always wondered how it would play in VR :v:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
let me turn my left hand into a foot and suplex my little heart out any way I like. I just want to see a leg emerge from my chest and blast cultists to the ground

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Blade and sorcery had this issue with sheaths too. If you're a *ahem* larger person you'd have to basically reach into your rear end.

VR continues to have extremely funny issues as the tech grows.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Clearly women have to put on tactical ballistic vests when playing RE4.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
House of Ashes is pretty drat good. It's not really very scary due to the fact that you have very little control over the characters. But it's still a good fun game that is nominally horror, and definitely the best Dark Pictures Anthology so far imo

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Sisslethecat/status/1452128349309095936?t=hw6kLdu5trPCmJup6Z5wSg&s=19

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is that Jill in maid costume.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't think any capcom series are very treated seriously, in a good way

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is anyone on the internet besides twitter nobodies with 3 likes offended by this, Capcom is the single biggest IP whore in video games.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

exquisite tea posted:

Is anyone on the internet besides twitter nobodies with 3 likes offended by this, Capcom is the single biggest IP whore in video games.

I assume it's mostly just people wanting another front to attack Epic on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And people mad at the concept of Fortnite existing, though there's probably some crossover

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I am, I'm incredibly offended by it. I can't believe they've ruined the extremely serious Resident Evil franchise forever :arghfist:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Captain DIEgiene posted:

I am, I'm incredibly offended by it. I can't believe they've ruined the extremely serious Resident Evil franchise forever :arghfist:

People doing this seriously and/or claiming that Capcom couldn't possibly understand that Lady Dimitrescu was hot makes me think that there is some other Resident Evil series than the one I played. But really the internet has shown that people don't actually engage even a little with the games they are playing.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I kinda want to see Silent Hill in Fortnite to witness Pyramid Head doing the floss.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hector Delgado posted:

I kinda want to see Silent Hill in Fortnite to witness Pyramid Head doing the floss.

The way that Konami has been going I guarantee you the only reason why this hasn't already happened is because trying to define a headshot hit box for him would be an absolute nightmare

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

I finally played through Dead Space, after years of having it sit in my Steam library. It looks pretty good at high res + high fps, for a 2008 game.

Overall I thought it was pretty good. I liked that all the UI displays and such are "in-world" and the zero G stuff was cool. The plot was sorta generic sci-fi spooks but not bad, and the devs did a good job with putting lots of details + lore into the world.

I played through only using the plasma cutter, which got a bit dull but it's just so good I never really felt the need to explore other weapons.

The gameplay also got repetitive, like it was padded out with various macguffins needing to be fixed to extend playtime.

I enjoyed my playthrough, but I figure I can probably skip the sequels of they are more of the same.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Monoclinic posted:

I played through only using the plasma cutter, which got a bit dull but it's just so good I never really felt the need to explore other weapons.

The gameplay also got repetitive, like it was padded out with various macguffins needing to be fixed to extend playtime.

I enjoyed my playthrough, but I figure I can probably skip the sequels of they are more of the same.

I found other weapons more useful than the cutter for specific tasks. Rifle for bullet hosing when you don't have time to aim, force pulse to get stuff off me, flamethrower for specific enemies. I think Dead Space 1 is one of the very few games that makes the padding feel good and part of the game: after all, you're supposed to be a space engineer fixing the ship.

Dead Space 2 is DS1 but better so you're missing out there, though admittedly it is more of the same. DS3 changes things up a bit for the worse though I found it enjoyable.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Monoclinic posted:

I finally played through Dead Space, after years of having it sit in my Steam library. It looks pretty good at high res + high fps, for a 2008 game.

Overall I thought it was pretty good. I liked that all the UI displays and such are "in-world" and the zero G stuff was cool. The plot was sorta generic sci-fi spooks but not bad, and the devs did a good job with putting lots of details + lore into the world.

Someone (Mandalore?) made the comparison to the Alien movies and its spot-on: DS2 is DS1 but bigger and better (and louder), DS3 is a studio-muddled mess with some good bits in it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
DS2 is worth it for the backtracking section alone.

I'm not kidding.

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

Doomykins posted:

I found other weapons more useful than the cutter for specific tasks. Rifle for bullet hosing when you don't have time to aim, force pulse to get stuff off me, flamethrower for specific enemies. I think Dead Space 1 is one of the very few games that makes the padding feel good and part of the game: after all, you're supposed to be a space engineer fixing the ship.

Dead Space 2 is DS1 but better so you're missing out there, though admittedly it is more of the same. DS3 changes things up a bit for the worse though I found it enjoyable.

That's all fair. I did like that the main character is explicitly an engineer that should be fixing these things. I think the parts I found most samey were moving around a particular cargo item on rails.

And looking, I actually have DS2 in my Steam library so I will likely check that out! Thanks for the recommendations all.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Monoclinic posted:

That's all fair. I did like that the main character is explicitly an engineer that should be fixing these things. I think the parts I found most samey were moving around a particular cargo item on rails.

And looking, I actually have DS2 in my Steam library so I will likely check that out! Thanks for the recommendations all.

Highly recommend trying out the Javelin Gun and Force Gun, a lot of the fun of the weapons other than the Plasma Cutter is the physics you can get when killing necromorphs. Both guns are in DS2 as well!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Just finished House of Ashes with all possible survivors on my first go! It was really good, especially in terms of the writing and acting compared to Medan and Little Hope. They’re definitely honing their craft. Not particularly scary, but had its tense moments. Really good looking game. I’ve enjoyed all their output from Until Dawn onwards, so I’m looking forward to even more, especially if the upward trend continues. I felt Little Hope was a step above Medan, and that feels true of this one as well.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Untrustable posted:

I just finished Chasing Static earlier this evening, and it is very good. It has its official release tomorrow. It's like Stranger Things meets Dark with a PS1 aesthetic.

I watched a playthrough of it and uhh

Can you explain what exactly happened because the person playing found all the notes and stuff but the story didn't really seem to come together for me and didn't seem to come together for the guy playing it either.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm angry about the Resident Evil/Fortnite thing but only because they made RE8 Chris look ugly as sin. :mad:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Finished House of Ashes last night, agreed with the rest that it's a lot better than the previous two in the anthology series. Also that the monsters are actually real. Only had a couple of dumb choices from conversations going off in weird ways and one bullshit death, so ran pretty well overall.

Protip for anyone planning to play, just play on forgiving difficulty. This is a story game and the prompts are already plenty tight, don't make it even worse by going for a harder mode and causing unwanted effects as a result. Why they put in a hard more for prompts for this kind of game is beyond me.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Also that the monsters are actually real.

I must admit, I actually thought they'd do it again, but with some paper thin excuse.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

is that stuff spoilers for the earlier ones then that the monsters aren’t real / it’s all a dream? man of medan was next on my list to play this spooky season but that kinda sucks the fun out of going into it

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lifeglug posted:

is that stuff spoilers for the earlier ones then that the monsters aren’t real / it’s all a dream? man of medan was next on my list to play this spooky season but that kinda sucks the fun out of going into it

Sadly yes, them doing it for two games in a row got them so much complaints that they actually promised in an interview a few months back that they wouldn't do it again for House of Ashes.
People felt like it sucked all the fun out of it, especially when they kept going back to the well.

Unrelated but I got my hands on a compatible version of PC Dino Crisis, so I've been playing the fan patch and it's pretty good. It's not scary at all but it provides what I want out of Survival Horror, tense gameplay and some basic puzzling, really makes me miss this style of game where you keep coming back to the same areas but with new tools and keys, instead of the more linear constantly progressing style.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lifeglug posted:

The endings for Man of Medan and the sequel Little Hope were respectively it's all hallucinations due to gas exposure and it's all hallucinations due to PTSD. I personally think that for that sense Man of Medan was the less egregious one although the story was weaker in other areas, since all the people that died did actually die from real stuff.

Personally I still think the games still hold up even with the Dumb Twist, they are still decent stories up until then. But yeah the third and most recent one had the devs go "we swear it's all real this time" and followed through.

Hel posted:

I must admit, I actually thought they'd do it again, but with some paper thin excuse.

They didn't do that, they did what all badly written horror series do (ending spoiler) they ripped off someone else, in this case Ridley Scott :v

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

New Phasmophobia update is out now:

https://game-updates.info/phasmophobia?119

Adds a bunch of stuff, new ghosts, new map, halloween stuff in the waiting room, and in maps, but brings some interesting additions.

Had a bit of a play around, found some easter eggs in the new map, also the new weather can really gently caress you up in the new map if you get fog. Also they've limited hiding spots on harder difficulty by putting in objects, boxes, furniture, etc, in the way, of hiding spots, or locking lockers at higher difficulties.

Good fun, looking forward to playing it with my usual group this week.

Piss Witch fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 25, 2021