Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I hear a lot of vegetarians just subsist on fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

Yea, I figured basically salads and taco bell for fast food haha. I guess the various casual burrito places too. I like Indian, but it tends to be expensive for me. Are most vegan cheeses nut based? What's your preferred, easily available vegan cheese?

I've never heard a good thing about vegan cheese, I've never had to buy it so never did, and yeah I think most are some perversion of nut milks

I'd probably start with whatever vegan junk food snack that features cheese heavily and is well-reviewed and go with that. Daiya maybe?

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
I do find the idea of vegan substitutes and mock foodstuffs strange, but I am also a lazy American so a widely available and tasty vegan cheeseburger might ease the transition to a whole food vegan diet.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Mykonos is the best vegan mozzarella that I’ve tried

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

Are most vegan cheeses nut based? What's your preferred, easily available vegan cheese?

the almond based ones are better. daiya sucks. anything kite hill is good.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Thanks vegan homies. Here is a recipe for my favorite vegan snack, fire corn. Tweak and season recipe as you like.

quote:

Heat a slightly larger amount of oil than you would normally use in your popper. Standard pickled jalapeños from a jar are perfect, but you can use fresh peppers, if you desire. Drain about 1/2 cup of them and (technique) pat dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Drop the peppers into the hot oil and let them fry for 2-3 minutes. Add popcorn and cook normally. The frying peppers will infuse the corn with spice and flavor and the fried peppers are amazing

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Epic High Five posted:

I've never heard a good thing about vegan cheese, I've never had to buy it so never did, and yeah I think most are some perversion of nut milks

I'd probably start with whatever vegan junk food snack that features cheese heavily and is well-reviewed and go with that. Daiya maybe?

I had some vegan cheese that was made with like fermented tofu. it was decent, it tasted more like cheese than any vegan substitute I've had but it wasn't close to the real thing

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

spacemang_spliff posted:

I had some vegan cheese that was made with like fermented tofu. it was decent, it tasted more like cheese than any vegan substitute I've had but it wasn't close to the real thing

if you are looking for reduced cholesterol and not strictly vegan there are some Italian lactose free casein from milk only almond based “cheeses” that are pretty good.

but that’s really only a my problem is lactose solution.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1451724970422378500

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
promised to make brat pretzel buns for an Oktoberfest party later today, made the mixer work today!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
These are worth a Paul Hollywood handshake

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress yes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

promised to make brat pretzel buns for an Oktoberfest party later today, made the mixer work today!

Gorgeous

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy poo poo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jesus

them's good

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

time for soup

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, it is officially soup season.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Spoondick posted:

time for soup

Making a cabbage and veggie heavy soup tomorrow, stoked

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
making chicken with egg noodles now. it is written.

I always cheat and just sauté celery/onion with spices then add stock + wondra to thicken it.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Amazing. The coloring is perfect.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Goddamn do I hate it when a baseline recipe calls for something like five pounds of meat.

I'm never making that much at once gently caress you I can tell this is all because your recipe requires a single 28oz can of whole tomatoes.

https://www.seriouseats.com/chicken-tikka-masala-for-the-grill-recipe

anyway I'm making this for dinner tomorrow

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

5 lbs of bone in chicken is just one whole chicken

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

including its little chicken ding dong

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah but I'm not doing that either. I always just sub whatever chicken I have on hand and it's typically skinless boneless breast fillets.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

yeah but I'm not doing that either. I always just sub whatever chicken I have on hand and it's typically skinless boneless breast fillets.

:sad:

buy a whole chicken dont be a coward

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

going to make a biggass pot of veggie chili this week. bulgur wheat gonna get some use

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
something to horrify this thread:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I’m having trouble coming up with a way to make making spaghetti cost $39.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe if you bought a noodle cutter?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Nah, that's easy, even for a simple pasta dish; just make carbonara.
Artisinal spaghetti, guanciale, pecorino romano and parmigiano reggiano are all expensive ingredients that are not sold by the portion. Throw some organic free range eggs in for good measure.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Oct 25, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the most expensive thing i make is alfredo and that's like eight or ten servings for $15

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You've got to imagine it's like buying the $4 bronze extruded pasta, an $8 jar of sauce, and... Like I guess if you used ribeye or something, and bought precut veggies and those hella expensive clamshells of fresh herbs.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ekuNNN posted:

something to horrify this thread:

hmm...i don't think this person is telling the truth

I like that these pretzels are all making facial expressions

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I drunkenly bought some egg noodles and this recipe is on the bag

goddamn I'm making this garbage.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
MMmm... slightly unusual flavor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so does anyone actually eat condensed cream of mushroom soup, or is it exclusively for use in terrible recipes?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

it feels like there aren't many western recipes from 18001500-1985 that don't make you wonder what the absolute gently caress the author was thinking; cloves and raisins in a pig jowel jelly, shrimp aspic with grapes and whipped cream, cans of mandarin oranges emptied over boiled chicken breasts...let alone anything made with cream of ________ soup

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so does anyone actually eat condensed cream of mushroom soup, or is it exclusively for use in terrible recipes?

We use a lot of condensed cream of mushroom soup at work but it's all to make "homestyle" recipes like stroganoff or scalloped potatoes or whatever

You can use any cream of whatever soup it doesn't matter, we used cream of bacon for the potatoes once, a canned soup I have only seen once and never again

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

okay post your favorite cream of garbage casserole recipes please. I have a few cans of the stuff to use anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Eh just glorp it in somewhere instead of making a bechamel sauce where it's called for

https://www.food.com/recipe/funeral-potatoes-184624

That'll use up a few cans and give you sodium poisoning, a thing everyone wants