Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

One of the things I like about the first two thirds of the original Law and Order is that they never actually shot their guns. It made the stories focus on detective work and courtroom stuff instead of police gunfights, which made things way more interesting. The few times any of the main cast fired a gun it was offscreen, and it would be a huge deal with like an investigation afterwards that spanned the entire episode.

Then in the later seasons they decided to build drama by getting into gunfights with perps instead of with decent writing. From what I hear in the more recent spinoffs people have huge bodycounts and it's treated as no big thing, which seems to track with how militarized police became increasingly common after 9/11.

One of things I like about Burn Notice is how they shoot guns. Like blammo that guy went splat. Like what the gently caress was he thinking trying to get rid of Fiona as if Michael Weston was going to accept that? LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

withak posted:

I can't believe that we have let Alex Baldwin murder AGAIN.

sign of the times :(

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

LanceHunter posted:

So, before John Hamm hit it big on Mad Men, he was in this cop show on Lifetime called The Division. Apparently, it was so low budget that (despite being a cop show) over four full seasons and 80+ episode they never fired their guns. The show couldn't afford the cost of having an armorer or doing the gunfire effects, so they just never wrote any gunshots into the script. The cops would sometimes pull their guns on a perp, and I think once or twice they pistol-whipped someone, but that was it.
This is actually true of Mad Men as well, which is why you never see Pete Campbell fire his rifle. The original plot outline had Pete shoot a number of people throughout the course of the show.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Chatted with a friend who does film crew work and it is also standard practice to rig the camera for remote work or something like that when filming shots with the gun pointed at the camera so that looks like another huge gently caress up

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Chatted with a friend who does film crew work and it is also standard practice to rig the camera for remote work or something like that when filming shots with the gun pointed at the camera so that looks like another huge gently caress up

I'm pretty sure you can't just "rig the camera for remote" whenever you feel like it. Somebody has to keep turning the crank

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't just "rig the camera for remote" whenever you feel like it. Somebody has to keep turning the crank

Duh, that's what really long broom handles are for

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Usually Alec has to be on a set where all the actors are green screened in a la Ian Mckellen as Gandalf, or the Baldwin Blood Fury will take over

This information is clearly marked on his cage so someone really screwed up before releasing the containment bolts

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

SCP-9874 "Gun thats not loaded but syke naw its loaded"

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Thundercracker posted:

It's 100% Alec Baldwin's fault. Before the shooting he was heard saying "There's nothing like the feeling of slamming a long silver bullet into a well greased chamber." And after ricocheting the bullet into the cinematographer he was heard again saying "It doesn't feel right to shoot an unarmed woman… but I'll get over it."

Icochet posted:

Just say bang with your mouth you idiots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT-yKPE2deQ&t=26s

e: except with Alec Baldwin's face and voice I guess?
ee: And the people in the helicopters are film crew.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 25, 2021

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Christian Bale and Matthew McConaughey might have won plaudits for their transformational roles in The Machinist and Dallas Buyers Club respectively, but ain't no one topping Baldwin's investment in his character. It's the new gold standard by which other great actors will be measured, and will sadly fall short.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

11:45 pm Cold Gun (1991) ★ ★ After being implicated in a deadly on-set accident, an aging actor uncovers a deeper conspiracy in this psychological thriller. Stars Alec Baldwin.

9:45 pm A Colder Gun (2004) ★ ★ ★ After being implicated in a deadly on-set accident, an aging actor uncovers a murder mystery involving multiple past Hollywood detectives. Starring Steve Martin. Rated PG (Drugs, Violence).

7:30 pm Seconds from Disaster (2022) Documentary. On the set of a major Hollywood movie, the star shoots two crew members. Was it an accident, or something completely preventable? Rated G.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 25, 2021

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Lmao

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

https://www.cnn.com/entertainment/live-news/rust-shooting-alec-baldwin-10-25-21/index.html

Alec Baldwin was "practicing a cross draw" when his weapon was fired, film director says posted:

Souza told them Baldwin was "sitting in a pew in a church building setting, and he was practicing a cross draw," the affidavit said. A cross draw is when a shooter pulls the weapon from a holster on the opposite side of the body from the draw hand.

Souza was looking over Hutchins' shoulder "when he heard what sounded like a whip and then loud pop," according to the affidavit.

Souza recalled Hutchins "complaining about her stomach and grabbing her midsection" after the shot was fired, the document said.

Investigators also talked with camera operator Reid Russell, who was standing next to Souza and Hutchins at the time of the incident, the affidavit said.

Russell recalled Hutchins "saying she couldn't feel her legs" and medics treating her as she was bleeding on the floor, investigators said.

According to the affidavit, Russell told investigators Baldwin was "trying to explain how he was going to draw out the firearm and where his arm would be at when the firearm was pulled from the holster."

Russell "was not sure why the firearm was discharged and just remembered the loud bang from the firearm," the affidavit says.

When asked how Baldwin handled the firearm, Russell told investigators the actor "had been very careful" and recalled an earlier instance when Baldwin "made sure it was safe and that a child wasn't near him when they were discharging a firearm during that scene."

holy gently caress

quote:

On Oct. 16, Baldwin's stunt double unintentionally fired rounds after he was told the gun was "cold," two of the crew members, who witnessed the discharges, told the newspaper.

they literally did the exact thing that caused this shooting MORE THAN ONCE WTF

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 25, 2021

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
They should call it “Cold Blast”

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The armorer was an 11 year old girl and her dad is Bill Gates. Pass it on.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

punishedkissinger posted:

holy gently caress

they literally did the exact thing that cause this shooting MORE THAN ONCE WTF

Oh my god lol

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
What was really crazy is how it seems that Alec initially missed, but he curved the bullets trajectory so it hit the poor bastard in the back of the head so Baldwin could be coated in what he called "Action Sauce"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

just gonna keep using this gun that constantly misfires because I, a chuddy person that makes gun their personality, knows best

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I subscribe to the Second Baldwin Theory

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Songbearer posted:

What was really crazy is how it seems that Alec initially missed, but he curved the bullets trajectory so it hit the poor bastard in the back of the head so Baldwin could be coated in what he called "Action Sauce"

!!!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i heard he was trying to shoot the first responders too but the gun wasnt working

he kept shouting for a "COLD GUN" saying "all this will go away if someone would just hand me a cold gun"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I wonder if it was the same AD who handed his stunt double the gun that misfired. They certainly seem to be the person getting thrown under the bus so far.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I wonder if it was the same AD who handed his stunt double the gun that misfired. They certainly seem to be the person getting thrown under the bus so far.

the person whose literal job it is to ensure set safety allowing all of this to go on is not being, "thrown under the bus."

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

the person whose literal job it is to ensure set safety allowing all of this to go on is not being, "thrown under the bus."

obviously it's their fault. I just meant that there already are a TON of sources talking about what a dipshit the guy was, including talking about how he sexually harassed coworkers and stuff.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
unless we are talking about a literal bus, in which case it sounds like an ok idea

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

just gonna keep using this gun that constantly misfires because I, a chuddy person that makes gun their personality, knows best

calm down beavis

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i heard that alec baldwin was walking around on set saying 'check out these guns' and flexing his big biceps

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

obviously it's their fault. I just meant that there already are a TON of sources talking about what a dipshit the guy was, including talking about how he sexually harassed coworkers and stuff.

yeah he's a known quantity with the people I know that work sets here, and I've been hearing about what a loving dipshit he is for years

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mozi posted:

i heard that alec baldwin was walking around on set saying 'check out these guns' and flexing his big biceps

we've got known chud loving gun rights activist alec baldwin THIS time.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

yeah he's a known quantity with the people I know that work sets here, and I've been hearing about what a loving dipshit he is for years

my concern is that he will be singularly blamed when the rest of management hosed up by having this guy apparently be the single point of failure for the safety of the set. even after a stunt double was handed a HOT gun that was called COLD and almost killed someone.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

my concern is that he will be singularly blamed when the rest of management hosed up by having this guy apparently be the single point of failure for the safety of the set.

my concern is that he will kill me, too

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

my concern is that he will be singularly blamed when the rest of management hosed up by having this guy apparently be the single point of failure for the safety of the set. even after a stunt double was handed a HOT gun that was called COLD and almost killed someone.

I'm in full agreement that him and that girl need to go down, hard, and that's probably mostly what will come of this. IDK, the people I know that work props and poo poo are very much talking a lot about using their union to change set regs.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

GolfHole posted:

my concern is that he will kill me, too

in the end, alec baldwin comes for us all

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Phallic Baldwin

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Let me ask you this;

what would you be comfortable with happening in movies since you've stated repeatedly that you don't want guns on set OR stunts to be occurring?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Let me ask you this;

what would you be comfortable with happening in movies since you've stated repeatedly that you don't want guns on set OR stunts to be occurring?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
won't someone think of the poor AD?

Big Beef City posted:

Let me ask you this;

I'm not that poster but I agree guns shouldn't be on sets, there's really no reason for it. the 'authenticity' of the gunshot does not matter for your entertainment. It's movies and tv, it is not worth a single person's life, and frankly most people harping that it would be boring otherwise are also not the people who have to be on sets with these chucklefucks who accidentally shoot people. It's sure easy to risk other people's lives for your flashy moving pictures.

stunts are an art form and as long as they're done safely they're fine, but a lot of people don't and folks get hurt often so it can be a problem.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 25, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AD stands for Alec Daldwin

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

they already made a movie about how Death fuckin sucks at every game except chess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

heh