Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Invisible Clergy posted:

That's interesting. That certainly makes sense.

At times, it seems like he thinks of slurs as like, just another kind of profanity/Bad Word.

Yeah, you know what, while the werewolf slur doesn't come up as much as the orc one, it is definitely worse. It also brings in all the weird unnecessary textual eugenics stuff to bear. I am not looking forward to that arc.

Yeah, the orc one is bad, but it has the "defence" of applying to a fantasy race, that for all it may be a mix of real-world cultural signifiers and Mookie's hosed up gender politics, is still purely made up. The logic of the wereworld r-word is essentially the same as it is in the real world, and the discrimination implied by it is literally a 1 to 1 with disability in our world.

We'll get to it when we get to that arc, but Katya, the character in question that the slur applies to, isn't granted any agency or any narrative resolution to it. The slur isn't even said to her directly, it's in the for of "Nimmel loves a *r-word*" in paint on his door. So the slur gets to be used in a way that is purely for the narrative thrust of the able-bodied Mookie Insert, and he gets to have his big hero moment, but nothing about the society that treats Katya the way they do gets resolved at all.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I remember "piggart" and "pickleskin" but I cant remember what the nimmel house was

Tbh its kind of funny (in a bad way) to me that he uses fantasy slurs except for gay slurs, which he uses as-is

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Bismuth posted:

I remember "piggart" and "pickleskin" but I cant remember what the nimmel house was

Tbh its kind of funny (in a bad way) to me that he uses fantasy slurs except for gay slurs, which he uses as-is

It's runt + r-word

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bismuth posted:

Literally what the gently caress was the point of him being sucked down to be held by tentacles for 2 seconds and then let back up to the surface? Why? Also I like how the LUNA is sort of like mickey mouse's ears in that its always facing the viewer no matter how the perspective shifts in space

Well, if it didn't it'd say "AИU⅃"

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Dominic Deegan: He knows what he's doing is wrong

Alternatively, just "What he's doing is wrong"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Dominic Deegan: Wrong

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yeah, he's unironically defending the point that slurs don't count if you say "just kidding" afterwards. Or for the Mookies in the comic, we the audience know they are pure of heart and their intentions are good, so it's ok when they say bad things about fat people, orcs, wolfmen, etc, they don't actually mean it like a jock character would.

What I think Mookie might have been going for (and this might just be me showing how white I am) is that in certain cultures where extreme importance is placed on politeness/modesty/decorum/public image.etc. there's this thing where people who are close friends sort of, uh, talk poo poo to/insult each other? Or at least let their guard down a bit, because they know this is someone they can trust. The comic is at least partially based on anime, so I feel like that vibe is what Mookie was going for.

...but like, that is simply not a thing in Callarian culture from what we've seen. People just say whatever is on their mind, wear whatever they want, and there are a bunch of lolrandom mokeycheese people running around - including one who is a respected university professor. So he wants the whole, 'close friends sometimes jokingly insult each other' thing, but without laying any of the societal/cultural groundwork for it. Deeganland is just early 2000s America, complete with football jocks.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It’s one thing to have a friendly roast session, but Mookie’s not really clever enough to think up jokey insults between good friends. There was a similar issue in the early chapters where one of our heroes would try and joke with Greg or Luna and instead say some truly hateful poo poo that’s indistinguishable from what the jocks say.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Are you talking about like, the scene in "Gran Torino" where Eastwood says mean stuff to his barber, who razzes him back as a way of male bonding for the two old white men? That's certainly a thing, but like you say, none of the characters in this comic really belong to a subculture like that where open expressions of friendliness or vulnerability are discouraged, so instead to bond you will insult each other in an insincere manner.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

It’s one thing to have a friendly roast session, but Mookie’s not really clever enough to think up jokey insults between good friends. There was a similar issue in the early chapters where one of our heroes would try and joke with Greg or Luna and instead say some truly hateful poo poo that’s indistinguishable from what the jocks say.

Same thing with the sex puns.

Chapter 24: Around the World Part 5: Quastrilla

One thing I'll give to Mookie is that it's pretty original to have three different kinds of aquatic people in your setting. Nagas, Qualenti and Merfolk would make the DD world pretty unique if it wasn't for the fact that none of these races matter at all to the grand scheme of things, and I want to say only the Nagas occur again in the comic.

Chalk up post-coital sex talk as another thing Mookie does not understand

Again the airship changes shape and I swear the fins have shifted to be more like an aquatic animal.

Look how much the ship changes shape between the underside and the side profile. It would help if the ship was less of a jumbled mess.

Again with the Safari feelings as we find out that the Qualenti don't like people. Which makes the fact that a cruise ship comes to their hidden underwater city all the more weird.

This whole thing is one of more baffling asides in this arc, because it doesn't really go anywhere. I mean none of this is going anywhere, all of this information that we are receiving is useless, but Mookie just sucked my six panels to a passing character who Dominic and Luna aren't even going to interact with in any way. They just saw him out the window.

The gigantic eye will actually come up again, but not in the next comic for some reason. It's going to ceiling like I put the comments out of order but I didn't

I guess maybe it was meant as a set up for this line, where Mookie tries to portray Dominic and Luna as thrill seekers who aren't going to let Dominic's handicap stop them from enjoying life? If so, it's a pretty trite victory for the Mookie inserts, given how little Dominic's leg has mattered up to this point. Again this is keeping with the pattern though of Dominic and Luna always having to be the best tourists, adventurous and respectful of other cultures.

Okay this is pretty petty, but I hate how the Qualenti just use shells as armor (too cliche), and I hate how the dude Qualentis are all stoic warriors while the girl Qualenti are frolicking sea nymphs. Stop gender stereotyping fish-people Mookie!

If it's the only city, then it's not really the largest city, is it? Or I guess maybe it is the largest city by default? Anyway, stupid wording!

Luna has the energy usually reserved for swimming with dolphins about interacting with these actual people. I'm just saying that if I said something like "usually I'd be soaking this stuff up, but I was to eager to get back to walking with the Moroccans", it would seem a little weird. Again there is such a zoo feeling to the way Mookie presents these cultures that it's a little uncomfortable.

I hope the Qualenti are charging top dollar for the kitschy crap they are selling Luna.

Props to Mookie, I like that the Qualenti worship this thing and I like how it looks.

Again, Mookie relies on sound cues in a silent medium, and doesn't describe the sound in any way that could let us in on the experience. I like to imagine that the heads are singing barbershop.

Okay so here's where things start going off the rails again.

1) of course only the special protagonists get to hear the song, not the woman who appears to have dedicated her life to living among these people.

2) this reaction where people break into sobs about how beautiful something is is so unnatural. Something beautiful can move you to tears, but it's not supposed to make you sob uncontrollably. I swear Mookie is an alien who misinterprets human emotional cues that he's picked up in other media

3) this is where this little mini-story takes an extremely weird left turn it becomes all about Luna's insecurity and overall sadsack personality

First we have this, which I'm going to resort to a list again to describe all the problems I have with it

1) Dominic receiving this extremely special one-of-a-kind vision from a creature that's essentially the God of another species, in a way that seems to imply that no one other than that has ever experienced this before, since it's not like the guide mentioned it.

2) Since this world has no history, we have no understanding of what exactly cause magic to start "running rampant". Is magic technological? So were the ancient Elven empires less magically advanced to than Callan's feudal hell? The real reason is the whole unspoiled before magic ran rampant thing might be something fun to explore, but it's really just another loose parallel with the real world and ecological romanticism. Again, this is really just revisiting the same problem is lack of planning and his allergy to detail and thinking through the implications of what he's writing.

3) where to even begin with Luna's comment about her experiencing the world as Dominic must experience it. Literally jerking Dominic off about how complex and hard his life must be with his nebulous,inscrutable visions. Visions that every time we have seen them in the comics/every time he has brought them up (after having them offscreen), have always given him exactly the information he needed without question or ambiguity. I think this might be the part of DD that I find the most tedious and infuriating. If the comic didn't bend over backwards to underline Dominic's "suffering", if he was just like, a kick rear end Oracle who just had everything go his way, I think I would hate it less. It's the combination of the Mary Sue life, with rich powerful parents, and magic powers, competence in everything he ever tries, combined with a moral superiority and an enormous martyr complex that really makes DD particularly vile.

It wouldn't be a Luna focused arc if she didn't get sad about being sad!

I love how absolutely pissed off that ray thing looks at being ridden like a horse. Sometimes Mookie draws the best expressions unintentionally.

Oh poor Luna! And poor Dominic! now she knows even 1/10 of his suffering. So I guess were meant to understand that Luna has been staying up for the better part of a week worrying about that song she heard. Get a grip.

So something's about to happen here that I am 100% sure Mookie meant sincerely before he backtracked after seeing the response in his "fan" communities

Luna is going to get an extra special visit to the true God of the deep. Of course again, it has to be mentioned how hilarious is that this is all happening to the obnoxious white couple on the cruise, instead of any of the ocean dwelling indigenous peoples. Mookie just can't help himself

Obviously Mookie thinks that this is cool, but really it just raises questions like what the relationship between this thing and the Hydra is. Is this the same thing that Dominic saw earlier? It looks the same. Is Leviathan a sacred avatar of the Hydra? What does that mean?

and what terrible secrets will this ageless being revealed to Luna?

Digging Luna's wicked witch of the east feet though. She just needs a house crushing her.

I did not need to know that Dominic dreams of exhibitionism.

I actually sort of love this as a revelation, even though it just compounds the nonsense of Luna and Dominic being the only ones to hear the song. I guess that they are only ones who needed "happiness".

But yeah, having this deep undersea God tell Luna that her real problem is that she loves self-pity and being comforted and that she makes herself miserable is hilarious. I am 100% on Leviathan's side and I think he has diagnosed her exactly. Even though I'm sure Mookie just came up with this revelation at the last minute because he couldn't think of something important enough to communicate to Luna.

Again, I'm 100% sure that Mookie meant this sincerely at this point. It's actually not that incorrect a read, except it would imply that Luna and Dominic's relationship is actually a codependent mess, and that they should probably do some introspection before continuing it, and especially before getting married. Maybe Luna could even grow as a person, and let go of her self-centred neediness. But nope, that's not what is gonna happen

Check out Dominic's concern for his beloved coughing up water out of nowhere. Making a bad pun would surely be my first reaction to that happening to my partner.

See this was the angle Mookie was going for, with this positive spin on it. But, people in the thread rightly pointed out that Luna was suicidal because of the crises and stress in her life, and Dominic was on the verge of having a murderous nervous breakdown, and from what we know spent most of his life being an rear end in a top hat curmudgeon in a backwater town for no reason, really showing that he avoided the drama for the most part previous to this. So it really does not match at all with what we have seen so far to say that these characters are operating in a healthy way when it comes to the stress they are taking on.

I love the idea that Brian describes Dominic as an "optimist", given some of the conversations he's had with Celesto and his father about the need to purge the filth from society, his aforementioned backwater curmudgeon past, or his continuous rants about how terrible the world is. This strip is definitely 100% a reaction to people pointing out that Mookie doesn't understand his own characters. And once again his answer is that it was all a trick! None of it was real so none of it matters!

For some reason the way Mookie draws neck roles makes me feel like Brian has some sort of apatosaurus neck, and is just swinging his head around on it

You can tell that there Mookie inserts because they need petty vengeance.

So that's a wrap of this, but I'm going to point out that the idea that it was all the trick makes absolutely no sense.

1) Why would the merfolk have targeted Luna in the first place? On a cruise ship full of people, why did they decide to pull this incredibly elaborate prank with presumably a lot of illusion magic involved, for this one woman in the middle of the night
2) How did they know that she was gullible? who told them this? Did Brian go around and tell them? (it's going to turn out to be this one, but that's a later rear end pull)
3) What about the fact that she heard the song when no one else did? Does that not matter at all? Was the song part of the trick?
4) I guess we're back to the visions and scrying being objective truth, instead of open to interpretation. Obviously Dominic didn't have any trouble finding out exactly which merperson tricked his wife.

Presumably, that fireball is not an illusion because they haven't noticed it, so the purpose does seem to be to harm them. I'm sure Mookie imagines the merpeople blackened with soot, with just their eyes showing. It's fun that magic can do funny cartoon violence when the protagonist need it for revenge, but be real destructive and murdery other times.

Next up: the Wild Edge and the first introduction of mongrelfolk

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
With all these recaps, it really stands out that most of Mookie's comics are just telling the audience how much his own characters are special and should be praised constantly even when they are already for most of the comic. I thought it was just legacy, but nope it's all he ever writes.

Actually doing something praiseworthy rarely comes up. Just like how the handicaps are never handicaps but just an excuse for the characters to whine more and be praised. Does the leg ever impede him in the duration of the whole comic? I can't think of a single instance, just many where Dominic/Mookie claims it does.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 24, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Billy Gnosis posted:

With all these recaps, it really stands out that most of Mookie's comics are just telling the audience how much his own characters are special and should be praised constantly even when they are already for most of the comic. I thought it was just legacy, but nope it's all he ever writes.

Actually doing something praiseworthy rarely comes up. Just like how the handicaps are never handicaps but just an excuse for the characters to whine more and be praised. Does the leg ever impede him in the duration of the whole comic? I can't think of a single instance, just many where Dominic/Mookie claims it does.
He tries to dance and falls over.

... And then everybody is on his side and calls the other side of the dance-off bullies.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Zereth posted:

He tries to dance and falls over.

... And then everybody is on his side and calls the other side of the dance-off bullies.

Well of course, handicaps are to get Sympathy Points and to prove that your OC isn't a Mary Sue. What's a "struggle"?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also fun: Luna's conclusion is that all merfolk are assholes, because this one merfolk was mean to her.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Who the gently caress could possibly have told that merguy that Luna has self-esteem issues

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The correct response to snout's diary

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Yeah, same

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There's no other way to draw a woman picking something up than drawing her mooning the audience.

Snouts reaction there is a good reaction image to this comic. As is her puking

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
Check out Snout's right arm when he grabs his hair.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Stahlgeist posted:

Check out Snout's right arm when he grabs his hair.

lol holy poo poo how can you gently caress up that badly

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh my god she's literally regurgitating the plot for him.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Ahahahaha awesome

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Can he even see her vomit from that angle or is he just making that face at her rear end?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

i dont know whether to laugh or cry so i will do both uncontrollably

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Mookie went freehand here and I feel loving seasick

The long torsoes, Snout's arm, the tail sticking straight out of his lower back

I love that the only reactions anyone has in these comics is somber nodding, or a scooby doo character seeing a ghost

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh my god she's literally regurgitating the plot for him.

Actually vomiting exposition. This has gotta be peak Mookie.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
What is going on with her loving hand in the puke panel? That is the most awkward way I've ever seen a book held.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bismuth posted:

Can he even see her vomit from that angle or is he just making that face at her rear end?
Holy poo poo you're right, he can't see what she's doing. Nor hear it, he's deaf as his patch repeatedly reminds us.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zereth posted:

Holy poo poo you're right, he can't see what she's doing. Nor hear it, he's deaf as his patch repeatedly reminds us.

Maybe she has the power of hands-free goatse.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
You know how peopel seem to think COVID goes away when you stop testing for it? Similarly, when Mookie Prime doesn't have the 'DEAF' patch on his person, he can hear just fine.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

You know how peopel seem to think COVID goes away when you stop testing for it? Similarly, when Mookie Prime doesn't have the 'DEAF' patch on his person, he can hear just fine.

He's like that creature from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - the one that assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Mookie went freehand here and I feel loving seasick

Except for panels 3 and 4 where the chandak is extremely obviously traced from erotica/pornography.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Alright so you, as a webcomic creator, have spent two weeks slowly dragging out 5 minutes in-comic time to an excruciating degree. At the end of week 2 we finally reach the end of the event so naturally what you want to do next is drag out the recap of the last two weeks to an excruciating degree. Now this is all well and good, but if you really wanna piss your readers off throw in some busted rear end cheesecake of your new character, actually, pretty much all the women in your comic should be showing tits and rear end all the time. Men sometimes too, I guess, but there should be a clear difference in framing when it comes to their nudity (and don't you dare draw nipples on them).

At least there's the re-read, where all the real actions at. This chapter just made me realize that Mookie's been writing the same hero his whole career. Dominic is the center of the universe and lives a rich life full of power and influence but his life is so hard, everyone should be feeling sorry for Dominic and they way he's treated. The only difference between Dominic and Snout is Mookie had way more hang-ups early on, so Dominic doubles as a power fantasy. You can tell though that he'd worked through some of them by this point cause there's less edgelord ranting about the jocks and whores and more mindless fluff about Mookie's favorite hobbies and dnd races.

What the hell is night to someone that lives at the bottom of the ocean.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 25, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Dominic is Power Fantasy Mookie
Snout is Martyr Complex Mookie

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Carefully cupping the water with two hands and then only raising one of my hands to slam it in my mouth like pill medication.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

this is vile

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Tesseraction posted:

Carefully cupping the water with two hands and then only raising one of my hands to slam it in my mouth like pill medication.

Oh poo poo I didn't even notice that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I got bored and cut out Snout in the barf panel. Use it for edits? I dunno.