Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

two different people have now said the kid would get raped if the parents divorced and i really don’t think that is true

I said it before, I'll say it again: the only options in this situation are Machiavellian long-play fake relationship of false affection and stability, or break up and watch powerlessly as your child is cast into an unending hellpit of abuse. There are no other choices, as our most wise posters have informed us.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of the one story of the girl who walked back into her ex-fiance's life after cheating on him and spending a couple years partying and expected to pick up right where they left off while he'd taken years to get over her leaving.

If you or anyone has this, I'd love if you could post it, I must've missed this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Have any men dealt with workplace dresscode discrimination before? My boss sent me (M27) home today because I am “too fat for my clothes.”

quote:

I’ve (M27) been back working in my office for about two months now since being at home during most of the pandemic. I’m a bit bigger than I was a year ago and put on some weight during the pandemic. I still need to upsize most of my professional attire, as it’s rather snug now, but not obscene. Regardless, my boss has made several comments to me about my size and making sure I’m “doing ok.” But today he sent me home as if I was in grade school, saying my clothes were too tight/I’m “too fat” for them and that they are inappropriate to wear in front of clients or customers. He’s saying I need to buy new clothes before I can come back. This is absolutely inappropriate right? Has anyone dealt with anything like this?

TLDR - my boss sent me home and said I need to buy a new wardrobe because I’m too fat for my clothes. This is inappropriate right? What can I do or discuss with him to smooth this over?

same guy posted to r/AMA three days ago:
I (M27) have a male pregnancy fetish and have intentionally gained 100 pounds during the pandemic to live it out. I just saw my family for the first time since before the weight gain and they couldn’t believe it. AMA

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

True; however, and I think this is something posters ITT routinely forget, this is not a courtroom, your opinion has no value or impact on anybody's life, and these stories are posted and discussed here purely for entertainment's sake.

Now, which reading is more entertaining, that the self-admitted untrustworthy idiot is spinning a yarn to make herself look like the injured party, or this guy's the Keyser Soze of dads?

r/relationship: The Keyser Soze of Dads

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just keep quiet and take it to the grave?

quote:

As far as my wife knows, we met by chance. In actuality, though, she was a friend of a friend of mine on social media, and her profile piqued my interest. I did not contact her by that medium; with the information she shared, it was easy enough to meet her in person without giving myself away. We hit it off. I’m sure she’d be flattered to learn the truth, but I’d be embarrassed if she told anyone else. Currently, no one but me knows, although I do find myself shifting uncomfortably when the story of how we met comes up. Would it be best to just tell my wife the truth, or keep it to myself?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Winter Stormer posted:

Have any men dealt with workplace dresscode discrimination before? My boss sent me (M27) home today because I am “too fat for my clothes.”

same guy posted to r/AMA three days ago:
I (M27) have a male pregnancy fetish and have intentionally gained 100 pounds during the pandemic to live it out. I just saw my family for the first time since before the weight gain and they couldn’t believe it. AMA

The word a bit is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this story here.

I can only imagine how his clothes look if he hasn’t upsized them…

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

spouse posted:

I said it before, I'll say it again: the only options in this situation are Machiavellian long-play fake relationship of false affection and stability, or break up and watch powerlessly as your child is cast into an unending hellpit of abuse. There are no other choices, as our most wise posters have informed us.

If you or anyone has this, I'd love if you could post it, I must've missed this one.

It's not the specific one but here's a doozy

My (49M) wife (48F) left the family for her affair partner a year ago but now she says she wants to fix things.

quote:

My wife and I have been married for just over 9 years. We have an 8 year old son together.

She was a full time SAHM after our son was born. However in April 2019 she went back into the workforce working part time as an assistant for a manager at a medical software sales company.

She was bummed that she wasn’t pulling in a lot in terms of salary but I was happy for her because I hoped that a job would be motivating for her.

She had already complained that she wished I could be more spontaneous and “ interesting” but despite attempts at counseling she could never explain what “ interesting” meant.

However, three months into her job, I found her to be a more happy person. Less critical of everything I do and a more patient mother to our son. Our intimate life had basically been dead for around 5 years and she had shown interest in recharging that.

What I didn’t know was that she had begun an affair with a surgeon (now 53M) she met at a medical conference.

Her job involves travel to go to medical conferences and visit clinics and hospitals. The surgeon lived in a nearby big city and she would use “ work” as an excuse to see him.

This went on behind my back, as she would later tell me, from July 2019 to around April 2020, when she admitted that her work was much more remote during COVID than she had convinced me it was, and she had been driving to see her AP.

She told me the AP was interesting and he was everything that I wasn’t meaning he made a lot of money, had lucrative side businesses with his family, and lectured around the country and loved to travel and enjoy life.

She said she regretted becoming a mom because it has made her stay with me for the greater part of a decade and that she needed time to think.

She told me to not follow her and had already had loaded up her car and left to stay in a room that she was subletting from a friend.

I was left to deal with the fallout including my son’s troubling levels of anxiety and his increased inability to get along with anyone in school.

He’s cried himself to sleep thinking he’s unlovable and my wife refused to return calls. The only thing she did do was send me a letter establishing the date of separation and her intention to file for divorce a year from the date of separation.

People are all telling me to file for divorce as soon as our state lets us and tell the court that my wife abandoned the family.

Five months ago she tried to get me to sign a separation agreement with bogus terms which I refused and decided to go see a lawyer.

Then two months ago she started talking to me about how she wants to be more civil with me from now on. Then last week she asked to meet.

She starts crying and saying her AP was abusive and that he told her that he was divorcing his wife of 3 years (26F) who he was separated from.

Turns out the wife was in another city finishing up her final year of graduate school but when she found out about the affair she went “ psycho” and the AP stood by and did nothing as his wife called my wife’s employer, which caused her to have to leave her job. He merely admitted that he did adore his wife and wanted to let her follow her dreams but had a hard time dealing with long distance and pretty much admitted that his wife said she was ok with him having one night stands but he regrets hurting her now and for letting it drag on.

The AP also said nothing when his wife texted my wife that he was not leaving her and that they would file restraining orders if she ever contacted them again.

My wife said that she had a moment of insanity and that she was willing to get therapy but that at no point did she intend to be malicious and that she was a victim of his lies.

She said she was struggling and said she wanted to move back in and be a family again.

What do I do? How do I deal with someone who has caused so much pain? If we’re cohabitating again I can’t guarantee that I won’t develop feelings for her again.

Most importantly I don’t know how to deal with this in a way to inflict the least trauma on my son. I had been prepared to respond to a divorce petition but my wife said she’d lose it if I filed right now and said she just wanted to find the love we once had.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

pentyne posted:

My (49M) wife (48F) left the family for her affair partner a year ago but now she says she wants to fix things.

The Kaiser Sosei of dads would like a word with you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pentyne posted:

God drat that’s hosed up and super manipulative.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

My [28F] boyfriend of 4 years [38M] lied about a massive financial secret.

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 4 years. He's a freelancer, and has been the whole time, and I'm a front-end developer. He moved in with me during the height of COVID last year and we have since moved to a new apartment together. In this apartment search, we were prompted to give proof of income. For me, that's easy, but for him it's not straight forward. So I told him to submit his tax documents. It was then that he told me he hasn't paid taxes in 10 years.

This worries me because it took him almost 4 years to tell me this, and it makes me wonder if he's lying about anything else. Since then, I've asked him about his credit score and any other debts he has and he only gives me vague answers.

I want to get married and want to do more with my life but I feel like this is a MAJOR bump in the road, and one that absolutely has to be fixed before we can make any big moves. I need to have a conversation with him about this, but don't want to make him feel like there's an ultimatum. But he needs to know that how he handles this or fixes this can be make or break for us.

What would you do in this situation? Or how would you bring it up without making him feel ambushed?

TL;DR My boyfriend of 4 years hasn't paid taxes in 10 years and didn't tell me this information until a few months ago. Not sure how to proceed.
GF (23) snooped through my (m22) Reddit account and threatened to break up if I didn't change the advice I give out. I think Reddit just ruined my relationship.

quote:

We have been dating since we were 19 and I love her a lot. She is overall a pretty awesome person and the dynamic of our relationship is great.

We rarely use each other's phones but also don't mind when we do. Today she just picked my phones and started using it. Asked me what was Reddit and I gave her a rundown of Reddit and how it works. Once I told her about this subreddit and similar ones, she was keen to know the advice I give to strangers on the internet because she thought of asking strangers for advice as a funny concept.

She read through most of my comments and used my phone for 2 hours and was very upset at the end. I asked her what's up and she went ballistic on me saying I give horrible advice and that I should be ashamed. I was obviously confused because I only say stuff I would do and all my advice is in good faith. She said that most of my advice is about breaking up and don't consider biases that the OP might have made in the original post.

One of the posts she was upset about was of a dude that dumped his GF of 9 years because she cheated on him at the start and lied about it or something. My advice was that he should dump the cheater because cheaters don't change and that lying is much worse than cheating. When my GF told me my advice was not good and not true, I asked her if she is a cheater because she clearly is trying to defend one. She said what if she was one and I told her we'd be done. This upset her even more and my dumbass asked her, "are you a cheater? " (in an asking/implying tone). That's my bad and I apologized since that's not what I was trying to say.

We talked about other advice I gave out and with each and everyone she got madder at me. To her, she thought I was a different person who doesn't think as I do about relationships. In my opinion, I have done nothing wrong. I say everything I mean and would probably do that in real life. She said that I need to get a better perspective about relationships and change the kind of advice I give out otherwise we won't work out. I told her she threatening me with a breakup for change in behavior is manipulative and she already read the advice I gave to one OP in the same circumstance. This truly pissed her off and she left saying I need time to think about what I just said.
My little sister (18F) is obsessed with getting married before me (22F)

quote:

For some reason, my little sister is obsessed with getting married before me, to the point where I can’t even give her dating advice or guidance when she really needs it, because she thinks I’m jealous of her and trying to sabotage her love life. It’s actually starting to worry me a lot. Like sometimes we would just be talking and chilling, and she’d randomly ask me if I’d be upset or bothered if she gets married before me. I’d always tell her “no, I don’t view marriage as a competition” every time, but she’s always need to ask again at some point.

Once, we went to an event together and some guy was hitting on her, and he asked us to go on a ride with them. The ride was a gondola, which only allowed two people per seat, and my sister ditched me to be with the stranger without hesitation, so I had to awkwardly go on my own. I told her later on that it’s wrong to just ditch me like that for a stranger without asking me or anything, and she started telling me “gosh, stop worrying, you’ll get married first and blah, blah, blah”. Which made me even more upset, because for whatever reason, she thinks I’m upset that she would supposedly get married before me, even when the thing I was upset about had nothing to do with that.

A few days later, she went on a date with that guy from the event, and she gave him MY address and had him pick her up at MY place. I was so mad and she just couldn’t wrap her head around why I would be upset she showed a guy she barely knows where her sister lives (alone btw) on the first date.

Yesterday, she sent me a Snapchat of my other little sister crying with a caption saying “she’s sad I’m going to leave and get married soon”. And now my mom is asking me about marriage, so I’m pretty sure she’s bringing this up with her too.

I’m just so perplexed by her obsession with marriage and having to be the first one to get married despite being fresh out of high school. It really hurts, because she is just very condescending and acts as if I should be jealous of her. And for whatever reason, views me as her competition. Like I can’t even go to a restaurant with her, because she assumes every guy who looks remotely her way is checking her out and has to let me know.

At this point, it just seems like she’s ready to rush into marriage with the first guy she falls in love with. She hasn’t even had a boyfriend yet and has already decided she’s getting married. I genuinely can’t feel jealous since it doesn’t seem like she’s trying to get married for love but status, and most people I know who married I know who married young are divorced or uphappy.

I honestly avoid talking or spending time with her these days, because she’s become more annoying than anything. Why does my sister view me as competition when it comes to love, even though I’m single? What’s the best way to handle this, cause any time I try to give advice or tell her to chill, Im “jealous”

EDIT: Adding this as suggested in the comments, she’s a Jehovah’s Witness. They marry really young (18-21), but in their church especially, the divorce rate is high with young folks. I haven’t stepped foot in the church (or any church) since I was 15, and my sister knows I’m not a fan of rushed marriages, so I’m not sure why she competes with me and not other women in her church.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
AITAH for not giving my wife's family an invite to our wedding

quote:

I (23 F) And my wife (24 F) Got married around a year ago, My wife's family has never liked me and always claim I am the reason she is gay, we started dating about 5 years ago when I was 18 and she was 19 but we were childhood friends before that,

When we announced our engagement her family freaked out claiming I was forcing her to marry me and that she would never want to be with another woman we ended up leaving our own engagement party and blocking them out of our lives after years of micro-aggressions towards my race and our sexuality.

We are now happily married and I am currently pregnant with our first child,

I was sat watching a movie with my wife when I got a message on Facebook from someone I had never heard of, It was my Wife's sister on a spam account messaging me, Turns out she had been stalking me on this account for a few months,

At first, it was normal with catching up, (I was close to her a few years back) but then she brought up the wedding, It was during covid and it was a small back garden wedding with 11 guests most of which were my family while planing we nether even though about inviting my wife's family due to the conflict and the fact they hadn't tried to contact us to apologise, She started to say how sad she was when she saw it and how the family had missed out on such an important day, The messages didn't stop even after blocking her she would message me on Instagram and then she messaged my wife, My wife was the one who made it clear she wanted no contact with them and would do everything she could to stop them contacting us unless it was for an apology,

She ended up setting up a date for her family to facetime us, that date was 3 days ago and it was no different, We were yelled at for 20 minutes until I got up to grab water, I am very clearly pregnant and as soon as I got up they all start praising me saying I would be an amazing mother, I walked out the room got my drink and came back, all they would talk about was the baby but my mother in law kept calling me a single mom and my Farther in law kept laughing when I said we were raising them together, at some point my wife ended up showing them her wedding ring, they started asking who she was married to? where is he? Is she planning on having kids with her husband?

That for me was the final straw I ended up yelling at them that we were married we were living together we were having a kid, my mother in law messaged me later asking why she hadn't been invited to the wedding I told her that we didn't want her there and since then my wife family have been messaging me almost every day telling me how sad they are they missed the wedding,

So am I the A-hole?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
While I see it’s slowly dying, I want the long con divorce dad topic to die and be dead, so with that, we are done with that topic goddamn it sucked the first time it was posted.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
that's fine, there's gotta be even worse topics that we can resurrect

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

teen witch posted:

While I see it’s slowly dying, I want the long con divorce dad topic to die and be dead, so with that, we are done with that topic goddamn it sucked the first time it was posted.

Thanks!

AITA for trying to tell people how the law works even though it apparently sounds stupid to everyone and not going with the common opinion and making everyone happy?

quote:

So I was out clubbing a few weeks ago when I witnessed a guy stealing a bottle of alcohol from a bar and the staff caught him in the act. The staff requested that he would pay 240 USD for the bottle, which would be normally valued at 40 USD. I am a (28m) lawyer with specialization in both property law and criminal law so I told him that the staff did not have the right to charge him that much for the bottle. He decided to ignore that advice and pay.

Before I go further I have to clarify that in my home country the common practice is that you cannot request compensation that is greater than the common value of the relevant item. So basically if I steal an item that you can normally buy at 10 USD the plaintiff cannot request a higher amount for that item. Even though he could have sold it for 150 USD to someone.

Later that night I was at an afterparty with some people and I told them about this encounter. Immediately people started to question this and telling me that this isn’t true, as in I can as a bar owner sell a bottle for 240 USD in my bar even though normally you can buy it for 40 USD and therefore he had to pay that amount. I tried to argue that it did not matter that you could sell it at that amount because both the law and common practice dictated that you could not request a higher amount than the common value of the item.

At that party were few other people and one that was also a lawyer (though not specialized in property nor criminal law). Suddenly everyone started to argue with me and take sides with the bar staff, I clearly stated that I personally was not against the idea that you could request that much for an item but how the law was that wasn’t the case. Long story short, everybody at the party were telling me I was wrong and I did not know what I was talking about. At the end people were starting to get angry with me for not going with their opinion.

I am not one for arguing, but this is a subject I know a lot about. It ended with disagreement and I went home. At home I started to question if I was really wrong about this so I decided to dive in the subject and low and behold you can charge 240 USD for a bottle but if someone steals it and the common price of that bottle is 40 USD you cannot request a much higher amount for it (I know it sounds stupid but this is how it is in my country).

Fast forward to tonight, I mentioned this to another group I was with. Suddenly everyone was against me again that I was in the wrong here for disagreeing with the other group, I still argued my case. Which again ended with resentment against me for not going with their opinion.

Now I am sitting here at home thinking that I am the rear end in a top hat. I am seriously starting to doubt my decision about arguing my case and thinking that I was in the wrong for not going with everyone elses opinion and keeping the peace.. I feel like a know it all rear end in a top hat who doesn’t want to listen to other people opinions.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

AITA for getting mad at my trans friends new name?

quote:

I know the title is bad but bear with me. My trans female friend recently transitioned and I have been giving her my support. She now no longer uses her deadname and was in the process of choosing her new name.

Now I am all for having freedom of choice for your new name but I do find it a little weird that people will choose Eastern Asian names for aesthetic reasons when they themselves are not Asian. You wont see people choose a Southern Asian name because those are deeply rooted in tradition and culture when Eastern Asian names are too. I was always teased growing up for having such a weird and hard name to pronounce (Minyeong) and choosing an Asian name does feel a little like cultural appropriation.

I would have been fine if my friend chose a name in my culture (Korea) that was common and that she felt comfortable using but what she chose is something that really rubbed me off the wrong way.

In 2017 my sister passed away and it really messed me up for awhile. As kids our father was abusive and I had only my sister to rely on. She was an adult at the time and took me out of the abusive home. My sisters name was Minseo.

So my friend phones me one day to inform me that the name she had chosen was Minseo. Keep in mind that she herself is no where near Asian. As soon as I heard she had chosen my dead sister's name I felt really disrespected. My friend knew my sister before she passed and had always made remarks about how 'pretty' my sister's name was. I never thought that she would take up my sister's name. I told her that I didn't like how her name was my sister's name and asked politely if she could change it because I don't feel comfortable calling her by a deceased person's name. She ended up blowing up at me saying that I should feel grateful she was using my sister's name and that she already chose it and wanted to use it. She called me an rear end in a top hat and hung up. Now all of our friends are calling me selfish for not letting her use my sisters name and saying that I was just transphobic even though I chipped in for much of her surgeries and supported her through it all.

So I've come to reddit to ask for help. Am I really the rear end in a top hat here?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

AITA for asking my roommate to move out because of their allergies?

quote:

I (23F) have finally found somewhere to lease and have my name on it. It's my responsibility and I'm loving not having to rent a room off of someone else. 2 months ago, I found a new roommate, B (35M) who is ok to live with. He's a nice guy.

I'm finally in a position to get a pet, and being in an apartment, I want a cat as they aren't as demanding as dogs. When I was interviewing people for the bedroom, I made sure it was understood that I wanted a pet in the near future and checked it was okay.

A post came up in my community's Facebook page for a cat needing a new home recently. Excellent, I jumped straight on it and messaged the person about the cat. I went to go meet the cat and fell in love, so the next time I spoke to my roommate, I told him that I am looking at adopting this cat.

He tells me that he is allergic and that he was positive that he had mentioned it to me. I said to him that I don't have any recollection of him telling me this and that I wouldn't have picked him if that was the case. He then says that I can adopt the cat and "we'll see how it goes" but if the cat is making him sick because of his allergies, then I would have to get rid of the cat.

I disagreed with him and told him he'll have to find somewhere new to live because I will not be "testing out" how it goes with a poor cat that is unwanted by their family, traumatise it by moving its home and then giving it up again because my roommate gets the sniffles (his words, not mine).

AITA? (Just to be clear, I prefer animals over humans anyway, so the cat will be my priority. I can find someone new for the room in no time).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Scaevolus posted:

GF (23) snooped through my (m22) Reddit account and threatened to break up if I didn't change the advice I give out. I think Reddit just ruined my relationship.
I hope all the advice is saying she's a cheater and he should break up with her.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for trying to tell people how the law works even though it apparently sounds stupid to everyone and not going with the common opinion and making everyone happy?

Fast forward to tonight, I mentioned this to another group I was with.
Just intentionally stepping on rakes.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Just intentionally stepping on rakes.

Most experts in any field learn very quickly to shut the gently caress up in a group of laymen because of exactly this. It's just his time.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

It's such a weird post, because why would the law work like that anywhere? It's telling you "always try to steal, either you get a free item, or you have to pay the worth of the item, like you'd bought it." OP of course does not specify the country he lives in. I assume from his behavior, he's an idiot and is confused about how law works.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Invisible Clergy posted:

It's such a weird post, because why would the law work like that anywhere? It's telling you "always try to steal, either you get a free item, or you have to pay the worth of the item, like you'd bought it." OP of course does not specify the country he lives in. I assume from his behavior, he's an idiot and is confused about how law works.

probably they give you jail time or community service or whatever in addition to making you pay for the item

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yeah, there is absolutely no way this is how the law works because if it did I'd be looking up wholesale glass and alcohol prices and arguing thats the real price of a bottle, not the finished product cost.

Maybe OP lives in a country which has fully rejected the value of labor?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

therobit posted:

As a trans person of color, specifically asian, holy gently caress this is evil. Yeah I'm going by your dead sister's name which isn't even my race, because playing dress up in another persons culture is so much fun XD

Can we add this to the list?

Give me your house, your baby, your half of the inheritance, and your dead siblings name.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

therobit posted:

AITAH for not giving my wife's family an invite to our wedding

clearly NTA, but how on earth did this person sit through 20 minutes of her inlaws yelling at them via Facetime
drop the pregnancy bomb right off the bat, tell them they will never meet the grandkids under any circumstances, hang up the loving phone and block their racist homophobic arses again

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

As a trans person of color, specifically asian, holy gently caress this is evil. Yeah I'm going by your dead sister's name which isn't even my race, because playing dress up in another persons culture is so much fun XD

Give me your house, your baby, your half of the inheritance, and your dead siblings name.

drat it I was going to say

“Give me your dead sisters name”.

It’s pretty hosed up tbh and it’s kinda hosed up they are saying the person is transphobic for not liking it.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Barudak posted:

Yeah, there is absolutely no way this is how the law works because if it did I'd be looking up wholesale glass and alcohol prices and arguing thats the real price of a bottle, not the finished product cost.

It's really not that crazy to restrict punitive damages to the replacement cost of a common good hey wait a minute this is NOT gonna be the next derail.

WIBTA if I ask my BIL with a strong body odor to leave the house?

quote:

First things first: new to Reddit and English is not my first language so I apologise in advance.

My BIL came to live with us last year for a couple of months... It was summer and that, added to the fact that he doesn't shower often made for a extremely uncomfortable stay, due to the fact that he has a very strong body odor. My husband and I spoke with him and asked him to shower daily, which he wouldn't do and it got to the point that it was a struggle just to be in the same room... I was confined to my room during his stay. After he left, I had to get the couch and mattress cleaned because the smell had somehow seeped into the fabric.

Fast forward to now, and he has lost his job and my husband suggested he lives with us while everything gets better. I agreed on the condition that he showered daily, this was communicated to him beforehand and he agreed. However, the strong smell has started, and I really, truly can't deal with this again. I told my husband that I won't ask him again to take a shower, I will just ask him to find his own place. My husband told me that that would be harsh, giving that he doesn't have a job and he will have to live of his savings. At this point, and knowing what's coming, I don't think I can go on like this. However, the whole no house, no job situation makes me feel like I will be the rear end in a top hat if I ask him to leave. WIBTA?

B-law stink, so what? :barf:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not sure I really like this version of the Terminator

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Dude is probably getting fired for smelling so bad TBH.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

therobit posted:

That seems like the kind of thing that will quickly self correct or turn that friend group super insular as anyone new asks "what the gently caress why do you have a Korean name?" for what I assume is a white person, and if these people start screaming "transphobe" at them it's going to become a thing where everyone knows about that crazy rear end white trans girl and her toxic social clique.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

I imagine it's probably an anti-extortion law of some kind that the OP is misinterpreting. Can't accuse someone of stealing and then jack up the price after when demanding damages sort of thing.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

spouse posted:

It's really not that crazy to restrict punitive damages to the replacement cost of a common good hey wait a minute this is NOT gonna be the next derail.

Can't wait to open a bar in the country where if if you get really really good at tackling dudes you might be able to sell them your inventory at-cost

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 25, 2021

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

don't mind me, just employing nothing but endless security guards for my shop

if u can escape my henchmen u get to keep those pizza rolls but beware! every time u succeed it becomes harder to escape because pizza rolls are very high in calories

edit: we don't sell workout supplements because a fit customer is a non-paying customer

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Captain Fargle posted:

I imagine it's probably an anti-extortion law of some kind that the OP is misinterpreting. Can't accuse someone of stealing and then jack up the price after when demanding damages sort of thing.

$240 sounds pretty reasonable for bottle service at a club TBH.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

blatman posted:

don't mind me, just employing nothing but endless security guards for my shop

if u can escape my henchmen u get to keep those pizza rolls but beware! every time u succeed it becomes harder to escape because pizza rolls are very high in calories

edit: we don't sell workout supplements because a fit customer is a non-paying customer

I want to eat at Pizza Prison.

AITA for buying my best friend a more expensive gift than her husband?

quote:

So I (30F) bought my childhood best friend (also 30F) a Diamond Necklace for her 30th birthday, it's a special occasion and I wanted to get her something to mark the day that she can keep for a long time and one day pass on to her daughter when she's older but her husband (32M) was upset by my gift choice, I gave him a heads up on what I was buying for her months in advance as I didn't want to be rude and just spring that on them and I assumed I got the green light from how he reacted, come her birthday though when she opens my gift he proceeds to sulk and go quiet not happy at all and doesn't want to give his gift, when she opens it, it is also a necklace with a cubic zirconia in it and i've never heard the end of it since about how I upstaged him and how it made him uncomfortable and "Less of a man" and my friend is even suggesting I return the necklace I got her as it's upsetting him.

In hindsight it is perhaps insensitive of me to buy a gift like that for her when I was aware that he wouldn't be able to exceed such a gift, it's why I talked to him first as it's the type of gift most people would put down to a partner buying over a friend...so, AITA for buying a more expensive gift for her and "Upstaging" Him?

Lol at being told what gift your wife is getting and buying a shittier version of that gift and then getting mad about it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

If she liked the name Minseo so much she could just pick Mina or something as her name, something that carries the sounds she likes but isn't... this. Like in OP's shoes I'd probably still be a bit weirded out by Mina Susan Lastname but it'd be a lot easier to separate from dead sister.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for accommodating only one of my daughters?

quote:

I have 2 daughters, Katie(12F) and Susan(15F). Katie has autism and she's non-verbal. Susan's recently diagnosed with a fainting problem, called cardiac syncope. Katie's been diagnosed autism ever since she was 3.

Here's where I might be the AH: Recently, Susan had been experiencing tunnel vision and black-outs, which she recovered from, in a couple of minutes. These mostly happened when she had too many assignments or too many tests/pop quizzes scheduled. These fainting conditions occurred occasionally and was always perfectly timed which made me believe that Susan had been faking it and lying to us. I ended up berating her and scolding her quite rudely, calling her an actress and attention-seeker.

So, my husband blew up at me and we fought. He took Susan to his sister's house where her paternal grandparents too lived. They took her to a doctor, after an extensive medical history check, blood tests and a tilt test, diagnosed her with cardiac syncope. When news reached me, I was overwhelmed. I have 2 kids with such conditions and ended up telling my husband to stay there until her surgery for the diseased valve took place(approx. 3-4 days). My husband rudely told me that Susan didn't deserve this, especially from me, as her mother and said that he was "glad" to know where my priorities lay. He was sick of them both putting Susan needs' on the backburner when she was the one with brighter future. He said the heart-to-heart his family had with Susan was "heartbreaking" and no kid deserved to be "second fiddle" nearly all their life.

My SIL called an rear end in a top hat and Susan hasn't spoken to me too. My MIL and my childfree SIL are ready to take her in until she's healed and accused me of accommodating only Katie in our house even when Susan has to undergo a couple surgeries for her valves. I told them it was not an easy decision and needed to make sure Katie doesn't feel left out because of her autism, to which they replied with an "one of your kid's already been left out, you rear end in a top hat, no need to worry about that.". Susan still hasn't spoken to me/refused to speak me. I'm a little hurt by Susan's silence.

So, Reddit, AITA?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mx. posted:

OP here probably isn't going to get more than a dozen words out of Susan for the rest of her life. At least Susan has one parent that cares for her.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Mx. posted:

I hope her husband divorces her and takes custody of the people leer child.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mx. posted:

I'm not saying she isn't a bad mom, but parenting the younger one is probably incredibly hard, so I sympathize with her.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

-

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 25, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Mx. posted:

Fire OP into the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I think it's important to remember that every AITA poster is an unreliable narrator, but you and other posters are further exaggerating what was conveyed in the post. OP's husband told her that he'd stick around until Christmas and after that he wanted to break up, and then he mentioned the cheating as a motivating reason. I know that it's a lot more exciting to imagine that he spent 16 years meticulously planning a massively dramatic mindfuck of a breakup, but reality is a lot more mundane than that and the fact of the matter is that a lot of people wind up separating when the kids grow up for far lesser reasons than "I never really got over that year that you spent partying and sleeping around while I raised our toddler as a single parent." As readers we're playing a game of telephone with an emotionally-compromised reddit poster, and from what little detail we have it seems like he put real effort into not just being a parent but also in being a partner. People can break up, it's fine and I sincerely doubt that a single sentence uttered 16 years ago was the sole motivation here.

I’ll give you until I’m in my office to read my previous post