Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

There's no way ole gets sacked at the moment, he didn't get fired when spurs put 6 past them so I can't see them firing him now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Can't believe Man United got rinsed by Dortmund again after what happened with Kagawa

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Do United have an Arsenal Fan TV equivalent?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

the sex ghost posted:

Having a snoop at the racing post this morning and they've got ole as the odds-on favourite to be sacked next with Conte as replacement. I figured he'd get at least a full season regardless of what happens. Can a manager get so owned they sack him based on one result

They've got City at home in a couple of weeks. Another bad defeat there would surely be the end of him.

On the other hand, manager odds are not really reflective of reality and very kneejerk.

Xabi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rzmz8Kse3Y

This guy's live at the minute.

Edit: Here's his live watchalong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lms4qy1BQLo

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 25, 2021

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Ole losing games embarrassingly might not get him sacked, but tanking the value of players surely will?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Xabi posted:

Goldbridge yeah as shared above

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Having a snoop at the racing post this morning and they've got ole as the odds-on favourite to be sacked next with Conte as replacement. I figured he'd get at least a full season regardless of what happens. Can a manager get so owned they sack him based on one result

guardian's reporting that the players are turning on Ole:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/25/antonio-conte-keen-on-manchester-united-job-as-players-doubt-solskjaer-capability-tactics

quote:

Several dressing-room sources have told the Guardian that Sunday’s 5-0 capitulation to Liverpool at Old Trafford has crystallised a lack of belief in Solskjær being a good enough manager for United. The 48-year-old is considered tactically underwhelming, while being well-liked by the squad and within the wider club.

if true, seems like the players like him as a person but frankly don't think he's up to the job as a manager

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/MarkOgden_/status/1452616321225666562

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
A club that bought an aging striker/twat they don't need, solely because City were in for him and the old guard demanded it, have bigger problems than a bad manager IMHO.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
lol

https://twitter.com/GNev2/status/1452630572304683017

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Gary's right ole just needs time

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

drat maybe Ole should be bringing himself on in the 88th minute to win games.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Man Utd never should have sold Dan James. All downhill from there.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
How the gently caress did Ronaldo not get a red in that game is beyond me... any other player/team would have got one.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

T Bowl posted:

How the gently caress did Ronaldo not get a red in that game is beyond me... any other player/team would have got one.

tbf he got all ball

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/mohammed-bin-salman-alleged-plot-saad-aljabri-60-minutes-video-2021-10-24/#x

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Vinestalk posted:

No, everybody knew Arsene was a joke years before he was fired. Everyone also knew the results were bound to get worse under any manager unless Kroenke actually decided to spend money on one of the big managers that was available and then buy players they wanted.

It’s become clear that the backroom staff who replaced that aspect of Wenger’s role are far less competent and more corrupt than he was. Edu should go to jail for the money they’ve wasted.

the sex ghost posted:

Can a manager get so owned they sack him based on one result

They were already playing like crap and had a worse record than Arsenal before yesterday. They’ll wait until after they get gubbed by City though, if only to give the replacement a fighting chance.

Xabi posted:

A club that bought an aging striker/twat they don't need, solely because City were in for him and the old guard demanded it, have bigger problems than a bad manager IMHO.

Yup. You know Ole didn’t demand this either, managers don’t have nearly the power they used to, so how much is really on them?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Reprisal posted:

tbf he got all ball

not on the first kick and what did he expect would happen when a player is down blocking the ball and you kick the ball directly into him? red all day.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
can't wait until this scourge of ex man u players as influential people around the pl fucks off forever

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

wooger posted:

It’s become clear that the backroom staff who replaced that aspect of Wenger’s role are far less competent and more corrupt than he was. Edu should go to jail for the money they’ve wasted.

100%, and it's because the owner is dogshit. But, let's be real, just because Sanlehi/Edu were/are worse doesn't validate Wenger in anyway. I made a post about it in the MDT, but Wenger drastically overestimated himself and his ideology.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

T Bowl posted:

not on the first kick and what did he expect would happen when a player is down blocking the ball and you kick the ball directly into him? red all day.

Could've killed him.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

kcer posted:

can't wait until this scourge of ex man u players as influential people around the pl fucks off forever

Monkey's paw curls, it's all ex Liverpool players going on about the boot room for eternity

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

T Bowl posted:

Teflon Ron baby girl.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

the sex ghost posted:

Monkey's paw curls, it's all ex Liverpool players going on about the boot room for eternity

Surely it's Chelsea's turn next.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Vinestalk posted:

100%, and it's because the owner is dogshit. But, let's be real, just because Sanlehi/Edu were/are worse doesn't validate Wenger in anyway. I made a post about it in the MDT, but Wenger drastically overestimated himself and his ideology.

Wenger's ideology and economic plan would have worked in any sane system but he failed to understand the PL tv deals would continue to spiral wildly upwards with every renewal, like the junk bonds getting rated AAA in The Big Short except it's Sky paying a billion quid to show Burnley v Crystal Palace and claiming it's Super Sunday. So the plan to sit on a big balance was counter productive because it actually became worth less than spunking it on players who's worth seemingly went up regardless.

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012

Vinestalk posted:

Is the post in the MDT the one where you confidently assert that Wengers succsess was based on a defense built by - checks notes- Rioch?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

As a lifelong Liverpool fan I think if Gary Neville of is given the choice between being an impartial pundit and throwing a former team mate who he spent some of the best years of his life playing with under the bus or refusing to do that and obviously holding back his words, I'd take the latter because being a pundit is a joke job anyway.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

As a lifelong Liverpool fan I think if Gary Neville of is given the choice between being an impartial pundit and throwing a former team mate who he spent some of the best years of his life playing with under the bus or refusing to do that and obviously holding back his words, I'd take the latter because being a pundit is a joke job anyway.

I would reach into my pocket and bring out a thick notepad in which I've spent a 20 year career scrawling every single slight against me.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Good ball by Dixon posted:

Is the post in the MDT the one where you confidently assert that Wengers succsess was based on a defense built by - checks notes- Rioch?

can you hurry up and get to why you think they're wrong about that so we can laugh

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

My bad, posting while tired. George Graham. Point is still the same that Wenger didn't build his defense.

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

can you hurry up and get to why you think they're wrong about that so we can laugh
Rioch was a 1 year footnote between Wenger and Graham and the only way I can imagine anyone crediting him with building the Arsenal defense is if someone told them that the manager before Wenger built the defense and then going on wikipedia to find out who it was. It's still nonsense because Wenger had them playing in a way noone believed they could play and then built his strongest defense using noone of them.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Wenger didn't buy an entire new starting 11 when he joined, no. That's an insane metric to measure any managers success by since a big part of being a good manager is improving what you've got. Added to that the defence Wenger inherited had finished 12th in the
league 2 seasons back so it wasn't like it was a title winning defense by default by any means. Even considering all that by the time of the Invincibles and the Champs League final it was all Wenger bought players.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I would reach into my pocket and bring out a thick notepad in which I've spent a 20 year career scrawling every single slight against me.
Not even a slight. Just general annoyances. Gary holding back the anger as he describes a poor bit of parking at the training ground back in 97. Ole barely kept within the lines and Gary noticed that Roy Keane had to struggle slightly to get into the drivers door.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

It's still nonsense because Wenger had them playing in a way noone believed they could play and then built his strongest defense using noone of them.

All Wenger did for the defense was tell them to eat better, drink less, and stop smoking. The only people who "played in a way no one believed," was the offense. Like this is willful ignorance of One Nil to the Arsenal.

Flayer posted:

Wenger didn't buy an entire new starting 11 when he joined, no. That's an insane metric to measure any managers success by since a big part of being a good manager is improving what you've got. Added to that the defence Wenger inherited had finished 12th in the
league 2 seasons back so it wasn't like it was a title winning defense by default by any means. Even considering all that by the time of the Invincibles and the Champs League final it was all Wenger bought players.

The old defenders still rotated through the squad even after the invincibles season. The defense during the Champions League run was limited to just the Champions League. They were average during the league and that's why they finished 4th with dodgy lasagna to thank.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rioch was a 1 year footnote between Wenger and Graham and the only way I can imagine anyone crediting him with building the Arsenal defense is if someone told them that the manager before Wenger built the defense and then going on wikipedia to find out who it was. It's still nonsense because Wenger had them playing in a way noone believed they could play and then built his strongest defense using noone of them.

There is a certain type of Arsenal fan[1] who credit Rioch with being the more influential manager because he bought in Bergkamp, and completely abandoned Graham's really weird homespun training methods, which included at least two hours a week on the offside trap. Of course these were the exact same fans who all loving hated Rioch for abandoning the offside trap and introducing fancy-dan foreign ideas like "Defenders should do something other than kick the ball as hard as possible in the exact direction they're facing" and believed Bergkamp was a very poor replacement for Alan Smith.

[1] who I'm certain don't post here because they're all ex-postmen who have massive final-salary pensions that they retired on at 55, and don't have the spare online time between posting Minions memes about how lazy young people are and posting really gross poo poo on Facebook about women younger than their own kids. I know this sounds like I'm calling out a particular person but no, there's *thousands* of the fuckers. People old enough to remember pre-Clock End rebuild Highbury will know who I'm talking about, the ones who all used to be in the corner in their blue Royal Mail jackets.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Wenger's ideology and economic plan would have worked in any sane system but he failed to understand the PL tv deals would continue to spiral wildly upwards with every renewal, like the junk bonds getting rated AAA in The Big Short except it's Sky paying a billion quid to show Burnley v Crystal Palace and claiming it's Super Sunday. So the plan to sit on a big balance was counter productive because it actually became worth less than spunking it on players who's worth seemingly went up regardless.

Arsene Wenger 🤝 Glenn Hoddle
Getting fired for thinking they're experts
in things they know nothing about

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Vinestalk posted:

All Wenger did for the defense was tell them to eat better, drink less, and stop smoking. The only people who "played in a way no one believed," was the offense. Like this is willful ignorance of One Nil to the Arsenal.

The old defenders still rotated through the squad even after the invincibles season. The defense during the Champions League run was limited to just the Champions League. They were average during the league and that's why they finished 4th with dodgy lasagna to thank.

Not quite, Wenger also had them change their exercise routines and do a lot more yoga type stretching to prolong their careers. It was ahead of it's time in the UK game, my mate played for Blackburn years ago (not first team really, his claim to fame is being on the same release form as Mark Hughes) and said when they played Arsenal youth team they all turned up with mats and did a weird warm up routine. The next week Blackburn had bought all the same mats and copied the warm up.

I'd also argue it is extremely dismissive of Wenger to say he did nothing with the defence. I don't recall seeing too many attacking fullbacks on the overlap in England pre-Wenger. Now it is default.

The only defender from the Graham/Rioch era left by the time of the Invincibles was Keown. No way he was starting ahead of Campbell and Toure.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Ole fired

Up to manage Manchester United to a 5th place finish and Europa League semifinal

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Luckily for Ole their CL group is so poo poo even Utd are able to beat them.

Unfortunately for Ole this means they cant bounce into the Europa League

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The cars on fire and
There’s ole at the wheel