Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mage_Boy posted:

She might have retired as both an Aes Sedai and queen to live with her husband so that people don't figure out who he is.

yeah, realistically after a point she steps down from ruling because i don't think she would want to be a target for hundreds of years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

winters heart was a bigger disappointment then crossroads IMHO waiting and waiting and waiting

Winter's Heart at least ends with the cleansing, which is so cool that I sort of forget that the rest of the book exists. Crossroads has nothing like that going for it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Been listening to Shadow Rising discussion and I hope they kill Fain at Shadar Logoth with the cleansing because he does nothing important on the books from like book 8 until the end of the series and he goes out like a punk anyway so make his death actually meaningful.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Been listening to Shadow Rising discussion and I hope they kill Fain at Shadar Logoth with the cleansing because he does nothing important on the books from like book 8 until the end of the series and he goes out like a punk anyway so make his death actually meaningful.

Would like to see Perrin kill him after the battle of two rivers, I think tainting the whitecloaks and murdering perrin’s family are his last real important action.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh, yeah, i guess it's fitting that i kind of forgot about him but fain is more or less a non-entity after a point and i feel like he should have been iced way before when it actually happened

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

buffalo all day posted:

Would like to see Perrin kill him after the battle of two rivers, I think tainting the whitecloaks and murdering perrin’s family are his last real important action.

When Rand goes to talk to the Cairhienian nobles that oppose him in Crown of Swords he gets attacked by Fain and slashed across his unhealable wound. Damer Flinn seals the wound and says that the dagger is evil but different from the DO and they are fighting against each other. This gives Rand the idea to use Shadar Logoth to cleanse the source.

I don't have a copy of the book where Fain dies with me, but I remember there was some strange stuff with Mat appearing to die to Mashadar but then he's just like faking it? I don't remember that very clearly but I remember thinking it was confusing and a poor resolution to that plot. Just removing him after the cleansing makes better thematic sense to me.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Once Elayne has her kids, her plot armor is gone and she was too stupid to live.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I'm pretty sure Fain is the pattern leaving a backup in case Rand decides killing the DO is the right choice. Once that choice is off the table he goes out like a chump.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

When Rand goes to talk to the Cairhienian nobles that oppose him in Crown of Swords he gets attacked by Fain and slashed across his unhealable wound. Damer Flinn seals the wound and says that the dagger is evil but different from the DO and they are fighting against each other. This gives Rand the idea to use Shadar Logoth to cleanse the source.

I don't have a copy of the book where Fain dies with me, but I remember there was some strange stuff with Mat appearing to die to Mashadar but then he's just like faking it? I don't remember that very clearly but I remember thinking it was confusing and a poor resolution to that plot. Just removing him after the cleansing makes better thematic sense to me.

They have Mat be immune to Mashadar because of the dagger's lingering effect so when it touches him he plays dead until Fain gets close enough and he stands up to gank him.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm probably wrong, but I think I remember reading a Sanderson QA which said he regrets how he wrote Fain out. If that's true I guess Jordan didn't leave many notes on him and he got the Logain treatment.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Gonna re-read the whole series in honor of the new show, starting tonight.

Hope it doesn't suck. Wish me luck.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

It doesn't, it holds up very well.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

You can do it! Im doing my reread and the first 3 are pretty quick. I'm hitting LOC now and it's starting to buckle

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My reread stalled out on TPOD as all my rereads do :sigh:

I agree Fain's worthless after the halfway mark but at the same time show viewers should have to suffer through the Mat fakeout like I did :unsmigghh:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

How are u posted:

it holds up very well

I started my first reread a couple weeks ago and i'm on TGH now. Moiraine's actions make much more sense knowing what i know now.

And I also noticed Bayle Domon has one of the seals and it's really fun knowing the significance of that.

It do be like that sometimes :toot:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i think it'd be better to give fain more things to do as a villain

tbh he'd work as the major antagonist to mat in the way slayer is to perrin and moridin is to rand, i think. the gholam is cool and all but also not really a character, then give him the same ending and you can still have the "was fain an emergency dark one replacement???" theory even

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

MCM Comic Con is happening in London and they have an 'exclusive Wheel of Time experience' booth which just means 15 minutes of various scenes from the first episode. It seems like extended scenes from the trailer we've seen, with the notable ones being Egwene performing a ceremony with the Woman's Circle to braid her hair and the attack on the al'Thor farm. They also show some of the Winternight attack with Mat running out into the chaos to find his sisters, Perrin barricading himself and a woman in the blacksmiths workshop, and Egwene dancing with someone before they get killed by a trolloc axe.

e: I know this is a book spoiler thread but I don't want to spoil anything that might be new to the show for anyone who wants to go in with no beforehand knowledge of changes.

I was there and had a look at the extended trailers. I can go into it under spoilers if it's not against the rules??

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I was there and had a look at the extended trailers. I can go into it under spoilers if it's not against the rules??

it should be fine, post away friend

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hexel posted:

Moiraine's actions make much more sense

Sending Rand out with nothing but a bunch of soldiers, his sword and the dragon banner and leaving the rest up to the pattern is :perfect:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Best thing to do with fain would've been to leave him as an unresolved loose end.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Best thing to do with fain would've been to leave him as an unresolved loose end.

Agreed. With capital E evil removed once more from reality, you need some other supernatural existential that stirring the pot.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jedit posted:

It's ironic that Mat gets all his cool poo poo from passing through doors to Finnland, then spends the entire series complaining that he's being treated like a door Mat.

Mad that I actually laughed at this, nice work.

:hmmyes:

Just add a couple of lines to the epilogue of A Memory of Light. Something along the lines of "A patrol encounters a strange fog on a beach. One stays back while the others ride into it. Sounds of battle, screaming, gnashing rending ravenous tearing carry out of the fog as if carried on a wind from a great distance. Then nothing. The survivor dismounts from their grolm, muttering a prayer to the Great Lord, and unsheathes their sword to await death. Out of the fog walks a skinny, gangly man in bloodsoaked clothes holding a ruby capped dagger."

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Mat Cauthon posted:

Mad that I actually laughed at this, nice work.

:hmmyes:

Just add a couple of lines to the epilogue of A Memory of Light. Something along the lines of "A patrol encounters a strange fog on a beach. One stays back while the others ride into it. Sounds of battle, screaming, gnashing rending ravenous tearing carry out of the fog as if carried on a wind from a great distance. Then nothing. The survivor dismounts from their grolm, muttering a prayer to the Great Lord, and unsheathes their sword to await death. Out of the fog walks a skinny, gangly man in bloodsoaked clothes holding a ruby capped dagger."

Christ this would have driven me insane, I'm so glad they didn't do this lol.

I was more expecting Fain to be involved at the last battle itself somehow, as a third party fighting against the Shadow and the Light, but given his powers by that point of "Create death fog that kills literally everything it touches" I guess there was never really anything satisfying that could have happened to him. No room for drama when the only way to really deal with him is either someone already immunized against the taint (Mat had a fewwww other things going on) or a larger group of channelers just blapping him away from a distance.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I always thought the fan theory of Rand "killing" the DO and Fain stepping in and being sealed was dumb, you can't kill something like the DO who is a fundamental aspect of existence. It's in the same vein as Lanfear telling Rand they can use the choedan kal to destroy the DO and the Creator, it's human hubris to think that they can rival literal gods. Having Fain show up at Shadar Logoth with an army of possessed Trollocs as a third group attacking both the Forsaken and Rand's group as he struggles to cleanse saidin is a much cooler send-off imo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think that having fain carry on and continue the shadar logoth poo poo as like this ominous sting at the end would have also cheapened it a bit and gone against the kind of message it has, imo, where that even if the pattern dictates a lot in people's lives they're now entering a period where they're more able to exercise their freedom and any evil will come from themselves and be something that isn't the literal encroaching army of doom and blight that's threatening to unmake reality once more

or i mostly could be talking out of my rear end. i'm primarily going off of aviendha's visions in rhuidean where a lot of the horror came from the evils that nations were doing against one another even once the dark one had been defeated and it was assumed everything would be fine.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gwaihir posted:

Christ this would have driven me insane, I'm so glad they didn't do this lol.

That's why it'd be great!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think that having fain carry on and continue the shadar logoth poo poo as like this ominous sting at the end would have also cheapened it a bit and gone against the kind of message it has, imo, where that even if the pattern dictates a lot in people's lives they're now entering a period where they're more able to exercise their freedom and any evil will come from themselves and be something that isn't the literal encroaching army of doom and blight that's threatening to unmake reality once more

or i mostly could be talking out of my rear end. i'm primarily going off of aviendha's visions in rhuidean where a lot of the horror came from the evils that nations were doing against one another even once the dark one had been defeated and it was assumed everything would be fine.

That's fair but also partly why I think having Fain stick around would be appropriate. Mashadar and Mordeth are the evil men do to other men, made manifest. Their origin isn't fully explained and neither should be their end. Maybe not a stinger but just an ambiguity, enough to leave you wondering.

In a way this sort of headcanon/retconning is the silver lining to the series handover; we can always imagine our own personal take on how it "would" have ended "if."

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mainly i 'get' mashadar's whole deal and the inherent human greed and whatnot involved but at least to me, personally, it comes off as way more effective to have stuff like normal soldiers doing poo poo like hunting the aiel in the flashforward than a spooky mist that kills people, at least in terms of how loose ends are concerned. honestly beyond anything else i think it's all mostly just further evidence that fain is handled weirdly and it leaves us with a situation where no one is ever 100% satisfied with the results.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I thought Fain should have died at the Cleansing once Rand was finished and Shadar Logoth had been wiped from existence.

edit: He would have also been a credible threat to stop Rand at the cleansing, unlike the bumbling forsaken.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

With how much empty land there is in the world, Fain could take either a remnant of Masema’s followers or white cloaks and establishing a “light on a hill against the shadow” city if the show writers want to change his ending.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Hmmm, what if Fain encountered the Finn?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's in the same vein as Lanfear telling Rand they can use the choedan kal to destroy the DO and the Creator, it's human hubris to think that they can rival literal gods.
Rand needed to play some shin megami tensei, gumption up, and go kill some gods.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Johnny Joestar posted:

a spooky mist that kills people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nK4VnBjD24

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I'm up to Trollocs attacking Emonds field and so far the only even vaguely racial description has been that Egwene had the same dark coloring as Nynaeve.

So if there's any racists out there they can gently caress off even more than usual.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Johnny Joestar posted:

I always liked the idea of Fain being something new to the Pattern as well as an embodiment of the evil that men can get up to by abandoning morality. Getting clipped at the big showdown never felt worthy of the threat (distinct from the Shadow) that he represented. What would Aridhol get up to once the Dark One is "gone" has always been a fairly interesting question to me. Lots of ways for him to wreak havoc that don't involve replicating Shadar Logoth.

Anyway, just an idea! The show has lots of time to figure out how to do that plotline justice, assuming they get that far.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Democratic Pirate posted:

With how much empty land there is in the world, Fain could take either a remnant of Masema’s followers or white cloaks and establishing a “light on a hill against the shadow” city if the show writers want to change his ending.

fain and masema could both be removed from the show and the main plot wouldn't be affected

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

I'm up to Trollocs attacking Emonds field and so far the only even vaguely racial description has been that Egwene had the same dark coloring as Nynaeve.

So if there's any racists out there they can gently caress off even more than usual.

There's a r/whitecloaks subreddit doing the typical racistwhining but they're fairly small potatoes numbers wise.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

There's a r/whitecloaks subreddit doing the typical racistwhining but they're fairly small potatoes numbers wise.

Oh yeah not even half down the first page and I got a post complaining about how true fans know the Two Rivers was white and a "facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro callout

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChubbyChecker posted:

fain and masema could both be removed from the show and the main plot wouldn't be affected

You'd need a reason for Perrin to gently caress off from Rand for the back half of the series

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Put him in a separate box

but then just forget about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm not surprised that they named their subreddit that but also at the same time do they never actually realize what kind of look it gives off when they name themselves after a faction where it literally takes the vast majority of the books before they reach a point where someone might even remotely be able to turn them around and make them not a bunch of highly, morally corrupt fascists?