Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Love them and want to be their friends. Really gorgeous birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've been digging in my back yard and keep coming across these little grubs, beetle larvae I think. Amazes me how resilient they are, I'm whaling away at the hard dry ground with my adze and these guys just pop out unscathed in the loose dirt after. They don't seem to have legs and they are somewhat mobile, at least they try to squirm but I'm not sure how successful they'd be at getting anywhere. I've been putting them back on the dirt out of the way, if they are lawn pests I don't care because lawns are a pox on the land and I'm not growing any. I always feel bad for uncovering them, they're like little tiny nude babies of some critter and I don't mean them any harm.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Recent critters, great and small.

One of my strawberries arrived with a mass of hexagonal eggs on it, so I held onto them to see what would happen. A bunch of tiny beetles emerged, clung together in a ball, and died in fairly short order. I assume they weren't from around here and didn't care for the climate or food options.

Black bear in Waterton National Park.

Bison also in Waterton.

Porcupine on my morning run.

Some kind of shield bug in my yard.

Someone keeps digging up the flicker that I buried earlier this year.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

cheetah7071 posted:

I think your eyes glazed over the legs

AAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

JESUS CHRIST

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

There was a really fat sparrow at my feeder yesterday but I couldn't get a good picture of him.

blight rhino posted:

AAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

JESUS CHRIST

lmao

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Stoca Zola posted:

I've been digging in my back yard and keep coming across these little grubs, beetle larvae I think. Amazes me how resilient they are, I'm whaling away at the hard dry ground with my adze and these guys just pop out unscathed in the loose dirt after. They don't seem to have legs and they are somewhat mobile, at least they try to squirm but I'm not sure how successful they'd be at getting anywhere. I've been putting them back on the dirt out of the way, if they are lawn pests I don't care because lawns are a pox on the land and I'm not growing any. I always feel bad for uncovering them, they're like little tiny nude babies of some critter and I don't mean them any harm.

I think you're right about them being beetle larva, but I don't know what type. They may not have legs if they're pupating, but again I'm not sure. Cool little guys though. I think you're doing the right thing putting them back, pretty sure some larva need to overwinter and then emerge in spring. It's been awhile since I went though my field guides.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
This guy rules. In my head I hear him say 'DON'T LOOK AT ME. IM NOT HERE' made me giggle.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
North Topsail Beach, NC. I believe it's a Rough Tailed Stingray, but not sure. He was unbelievably large.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Dekay’s Brownsnake, I think.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wow! You rarely see a brownsnake outside of its usual porcelain habitat.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

This guy was hanging out in front of school this morning.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sullat posted:

The owl, of course, is amazing. But also this picture is just really nice.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Spotted in my back yard in central NC this morning. Noticeably larger than our local hawks, sorry for the unclear picture but I'm thinking maybe an eagle, golden or juvenile bald?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

Spotted in my back yard in central NC this morning. Noticeably larger than our local hawks, sorry for the unclear picture but I'm thinking maybe an eagle, golden or juvenile bald?

I don't think either eagle has that kind of banding on the tail. I'd vote young red-tailed hawk with the thin tail banding and all the white on the back.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

sullat posted:

Very cool pic

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I don't think either eagle has that kind of banding on the tail. I'd vote young red-tailed hawk with the thin tail banding and all the white on the back.
Ah, that's too bad. He looked much larger than our usual red tailed hawks but it's not always easy to judge bird scales.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Literally A Ghost posted:

The owl, of course, is amazing. But also this picture is just really nice.

Why thank you. I should say most of the credit goes to the tree for deciding to go with a very bold red/green combo of leaf color.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Help

What beetle

First instinct was a devil horse beetle, second was some sort of giant oil beetle. It was almost two inches long. I'm in upstate new york.

Further away, less phone lovely focus, more iridescence

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 24, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's definitely an oil beetle, but it's tough to get a species ID. Based on the location and time of year it's probably either Meloe impressus or Meloe campanicollis.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Saw this red and black bush cricket today on my deck. Very odd-looking, never seen one before.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What the hell kind of birb is this? Found it resting on my parents' porch

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/chIGs9gl.jpg

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I'm not good at identifying bellies but maybe a brown thrasher? I'm not 100% confident because the neck doesn't look quite right.

Where do your parents live?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah looks close, but this is central europe so probably not since after googling them it seems like an NA species only

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Maybe a fieldfare?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fieldfare

I love that your parents have granted him a very sweet burial.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Probably a song thrush, Turdus philomelos.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you! Looks like could be either one of these, they look really similar. I'd try to look at it more closely.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Help

What beetle

First instinct was a devil horse beetle, second was some sort of giant oil beetle. It was almost two inches long. I'm in upstate new york.

Further away, less phone lovely focus, more iridescence

what sort of event are you at?

it seems an interesting background

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

blight rhino posted:

what sort of event are you at?

it seems an interesting background

lol it was an outdoor vintage and antiques fair that my BIL had a booth at

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

McGavin posted:

Probably a song thrush, Turdus philomelos.

Turdus :laugh:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The Tibetan Blackbird is a thrush, and a large one.
Which is it's called Turdus maximus.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The American Robin is Turdus migratorius, the migrating turd, but the Black-billed Thrush is Turdus ignobilis, the ignoble turd.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I loving love these birds and I loving love this thread. Turdus.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I have a soft spot for the wren, Troglodytes troglodytes

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I feel sorry for the Eurasian Eagle-owl, Bubo bubo.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I also feel kinda bad for the wattled crane, Bugeranus carunculatus

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The great grey owl probably has the coolest Latin name though: Strix nebulosa.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The wedge-tailed eagle gets Aquila Audax, which sounds pretty rad.

(Meanwhile the beautiful, musical and intelligent australian magpie gets a name meaning "naked-nostril flute-blower.")

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

joat mon posted:

The Tibetan Blackbird is a thrush, and a large one.
Which is it's called Turdus maximus.

Poop in Latin and a yeast disorder in English :confuoot:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The clouded leopard is Neofelis Nebulosa, which I just think is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

my cat is norris posted:

I loving love these birds and I loving love this thread. Turdus.

:emptyquote: