Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I ordered a new 40" masterbuilt, should be here by next weekend.

I will break it in with a full butt, or perhaps a split packer with the point for pastrami.

the true answer is all three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What’s a good grill for a bar that does a smoke every other week but needs to do regular grilling more often

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Kamados are probably the easiest double duty grill/smoker. But if you mean a bar as in a commercial restaurant, no idea if that would be adequate or even legal.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

We’re rumbling the el cheapo walmart side loader right now and it leaks like crazy

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Pork back ribs are on sale this week so going to grab those for the weekend.

General consensus from what I gather is avoid the 321 method and just smoke at 250 until desired tenderness yea? Do you guys bother to wrap at any stage, or just slather some sauce on for the final hour?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sinburger posted:

Pork back ribs are on sale this week so going to grab those for the weekend.

General consensus from what I gather is avoid the 321 method and just smoke at 250 until desired tenderness yea? Do you guys bother to wrap at any stage, or just slather some sauce on for the final hour?

its 275 for me for about 6 hours before checking. Mine are never ready by 6 hours but are close. Trimming square is key for an even cook. Ribs do not benefit from a wrap since they are thin and light for the exposed surface and don't really stall. I also dont sauce at all, but a lot of my ribs go right into the vacuum packer so I guess that's just personal preference.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
If anyone has a Fleet Farm near them and needs any pellets, they have 20lb bags of Bear Mountain for 2/$15 this weekend. Picked up a bunch of bags to stock up.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

sinburger posted:

I always wrap because despite what bbq nerds say, I do in fact like my ribs on the "over cooked" side, but not necessarily full slow cooker fall apart overcooked. I generally do something more along the lines of 3-1.5-1.5 or something, but really it's mostly up to when I remember to go out and do it. They come out fine anyways, and the wrap makes it more convenient when I stick them in the freezer since it keeps them from freezing together. I wrap more to soften the cartilage on spare/st louis cuts. I didn't the last time I did ribs, and I broke one of my front teeth on them which ended up being a very expensive rib meal.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I don’t really have a set method for ribs yet. I’ve tried a number of ways.

What seems to work best for me to have a set meal time is 3hrs smoke at ~275 and then sauce, wrap in foil and then put into a 275 oven for 1-2 hrs. Unwrap sauce and broil for 5-10 minutes.

I can do this in an afternoon without the stress of it being dinner time and me thinking the ribs still need another hour.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
What about pork shoulders. Do you guys wrap those at the stall like I see some people suggesting? I have some in right now and I’m debating wrapping them or just adding some more chips and waiting till 200.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wrapping will get you through the stall faster, but your bark won't be as crispy. The meat will still be delicious though.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Bo-Pepper posted:

What about pork shoulders. Do you guys wrap those at the stall like I see some people suggesting? I have some in right now and I’m debating wrapping them or just adding some more chips and waiting till 200.

I don't usually wrap mine, but I have before and they were still great. If I am behind and need to finish the meat sooner I'll wrap and raise the temp, too.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Ok. I’ll leave it be then. Add a few more chips. It’s been 4 hours by now and hanging out in the mid 160s currently. The idea of extra bark is kind of what gets me excited to see how it ends up.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Getting REAL excited.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I'm going to keep it simple and just cook at 250 until done. I got three racks, one will be straight salt and pepper rub, one with an S&P rub but I'll sauce it near the end, and one that I made up a fancy rub for.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think not wrapping or wrapping with butcher paper is the way to go. I don't like wrapping with foil.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Bo-Pepper posted:

Getting REAL excited.

If you're looking you're not cooking.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Hasselblad posted:

Yeah but it’s the only way I can add chips with my smoker. I’ll probably upgrade to something better someday but this is babby’s first smoker for me.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

Yeah but then how can you :justpost: photos?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

:hellyeah:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
MES 130B is on order and will be delivered sometime towards the end of this coming week (along with a ThermoPro Smoke and a cover for the smoker because it'll live on my balcony. Apparently you can take the digital control unit off pretty easily to store indoors though, so I'll probably look at doing that).

I figure the day it arrives, I'll pre-season it and give it a test-fire to make sure everything is working correctly. Then the next day, I'll try smoking something.

What is Babby's First Smoked Meat typically recommended to be? Pork Butt, yeah? Do I want to consider boneless, or go for bone-in? As far as recipes go, I think I saw that Meathead was mentioned as being pretty good? I figure I'll check out a recipe beforehand and go pick up some chips and/or maybe a pellet maze or something too just to have everything on-hand for when I'm ready to give it a go.

Edit: Just read the instruction manual online, and it says "only add more chips after chips have stopped smoking". How am I supposed to know that if I'm not supposed to open the door!? Can I tell if they are still smoking by pulling the chip loader out and looking in that port? I guess a flashlight beam in there should let me know if there is still smoke or not. (Or, I guess, maybe it depends on how much smoke is coming out the vent on the top?)

Zarin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 23, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is going to be a weird question, but does anyone know a place to source reasonably priced lump anthracite coal? Got proper New Haven style pizza on the mind and I dont think nut size is what I want. I imagine the surface area would cause a grill to break 1000F.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Zarin posted:

What is Babby's First Smoked Meat typically recommended to be? Pork Butt, yeah? Do I want to consider boneless, or go for bone-in? As far as recipes go, I think I saw that Meathead was mentioned as being pretty good? I figure I'll check out a recipe beforehand and go pick up some chips and/or maybe a pellet maze or something too just to have everything on-hand for when I'm ready to give it a go.

Edit: Just read the instruction manual online, and it says "only add more chips after chips have stopped smoking". How am I supposed to know that if I'm not supposed to open the door!? Can I tell if they are still smoking by pulling the chip loader out and looking in that port? I guess a flashlight beam in there should let me know if there is still smoke or not. (Or, I guess, maybe it depends on how much smoke is coming out the vent on the top?)

Pork butt is a good first choice, since you can exceed or fall short of 203°F and it will still be tasty.

Meathead's website amazingribs.com is an excellent, can't-go-wrong resource.

Simply watch the smoker itself for smoke, no need to open the door as the smoke will escape the vents. When you don't see any more, it's safe to add more chips. I typically do it once an hour.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

So the ribs were a mixed bag, and overall turned out pretty dry. The S&P were the best, but more because they had more fatty parts that kept moist. The sauced ribs were alright too. The spiced rub ribs were bone dry.

The taste is good, so I'm going to eat what is edible and make stock and/or chili with the rest.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Hasselblad posted:

Which is just also not true yet an often repeated myth

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/myth-if-youre-lookin-you-aint-cookin/

qutius fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 24, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it just me or are brisket prices way higher now?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

I. M. Gei posted:

Is it just me or are brisket prices way higher now?

It's not just brisket

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Everything is stupid expensive. That brisket a couple of posts would be $100, and the ribs would be around $18 each. Even pork shoulder is $4.99/lb regular price. Last fall it went down to .99/lb and I bought 60 lbs and smoked it all in one go. I still have a bunch of it frozen in vac packs.

I want to smoke and eat delicious animals, but it's too expensive :(

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

JOE BIDEN DID THIS TO US

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I had THREE meat probes all die on me yesterday.

My regular everyday one didn’t work even after I switched the batteries. My cheap reserve was giving me insane temperature readings so that was useless. Finally I grabbed the Thermapro I use for smoking, and the transmitter wouldn’t turn on. Replaced the batteries and it still looks dead.

Is my house under siege from a thermometer demon? Is my heating thermostat safe?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This has been the first year I have not smoked anything because of prices. Also hey grocery stores? $7/lb for bacon, $4.50/lb for ground beef, etc is not "on sale", those are just what the prices are supposed to be normally. I'd be nearly vegetarian if it weren't for pork chops and chicken thighs being poverty level cheap cuts.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I had THREE meat probes all die on me yesterday.

My regular everyday one didn’t work even after I switched the batteries. My cheap reserve was giving me insane temperature readings so that was useless. Finally I grabbed the Thermapro I use for smoking, and the transmitter wouldn’t turn on. Replaced the batteries and it still looks dead.

Is my house under siege from a thermometer demon? Is my heating thermostat safe?

Say 3 Hail Kenji's and light two sticks of incense at the altar of meathead.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Canuckistan posted:

Everything is stupid expensive. That brisket a couple of posts would be $100, and the ribs would be around $18 each. Even pork shoulder is $4.99/lb regular price. Last fall it went down to .99/lb and I bought 60 lbs and smoked it all in one go. I still have a bunch of it frozen in vac packs.

I want to smoke and eat delicious animals, but it's too expensive :(

Yea, up in Canada those back ribs were on sale at around $10 each, but would be over $20 regular price.

Likewise a 16 lbs brisket runs around $90 when it's on sale.

Basically I only buy big meats when there's a sale on.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah I paid $4.99/lb for the larger of the two briskets I posted earlier, not sure how much mom paid for the smaller flat. It's a lot to drop on a chunk of meat, but I vacuum seal and use throughout the winter so was easier to justify.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm heading to the local butcher/Costco to grab some meat for smoking this weekend. Got a full weekend to do absolutely nothing, so I'm thinking two days of smoking is in order.

Thinking pork shoulder and a poo poo ton of ribs...

Also will join in on the complaining of meat prices as well.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
In the coming years you'll probably look back on today's prices with envy and wonder why you didn't smoke more meats.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I took that advice and got two new york strips and a 3.5lb brisket for $50. Saturday and Sundays meal.

worth it given that these just look absolutely gorgeous.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Just threw a pork butt into my MES130B as a first time smoking attempt.

I'm not certain about what to do with the vent. It has little prongs on it to prevent it from closing ALL the way; I have it currently set to "as closed as it gets". Is that okay, or do I want it more open than that?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The more open it is, the hotter it will get with oxygen fueling the wood. You want to adjust it until it's steady at the temp you want to cook at (e.g. 225, 250, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The more open it is, the hotter it will get with oxygen fueling the wood. You want to adjust it until it's steady at the temp you want to cook at (e.g. 225, 250, etc.).

Mes is the mesa electronic smoker, no?