Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am still wondering where he got the title Honorable Ned Stark. We don't see him doing anything overtly noble or honorable unless you count him raising Jon directly (and I still have the theory the only reason the kid was smothered as a baby was Ned didn't let Cat around him), and in which case that seems more of an insult. Lots of lords had bastards, and it was fine to send provisions, but you don't raise them with your trueborn kids in GOT.

Hell, had he just told one more lie to Cat, that the baby was Benjen's bastard, Cat might have actually liked the kid. A bastard nephew is not as much of a threat as a bastard son.

Based on Cat in the novels there's zero chance she doesn't gently caress that up completely either. When you look at it objectively her behavior is some of the most insane, irrational poo poo you can imagine with zero awareness of the risk or consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am still wondering where he got the title Honorable Ned Stark. We don't see him doing anything overtly noble or honorable unless you count him raising Jon directly (and I still have the theory the only reason the kid was smothered as a baby was Ned didn't let Cat around him), and in which case that seems more of an insult. Lots of lords had bastards, and it was fine to send provisions, but you don't raise them with your trueborn kids in GOT.

Hell, had he just told one more lie to Cat, that the baby was Benjen's bastard, Cat might have actually liked the kid. A bastard nephew is not as much of a threat as a bastard son.

His introduction in both book and tv show is him beheading a terrified man because said deserter was running from his life from ice monsters but them's the breaks, you took the oath and you broke the rules you sullied your honor.
Much later on he goes up to Cersei and tells her that he knows Joffrey is a bastard born from incest and being honorable gives her a huge headstart on running away not foreseeing that she could just snap her fingers and have him captured and accused of conspiracy which she does.
Also he raised Jon as his bastard despite being a legitimate son of the then prince and created a ton of headaches for the entire continent because telling the truth would break his promise to his dying sister.
Ned is honorable but in that way that he follows the letter of the law only and totally ignores the spirit.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Cowslips Warren posted:

His honor is that he's loyal to his family, allies, and the law in that order. He wasn't raised to be a proper lord, he was brought up to be the loyal and dutiful second in command to his brother. Ned was in way over his head the second he was the Lord of Winterfell.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Elissimpark posted:

* a mariachi band plays the GoT theme in the burnt out ruins of Kings Landing *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt32b19j430&t=4047s

timestamp 1:07:27

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Calaveron posted:

His introduction in both book and tv show is him beheading a terrified man because said deserter was running from his life from ice monsters but them's the breaks, you took the oath and you broke the rules you sullied your honor.
Much later on he goes up to Cersei and tells her that he knows Joffrey is a bastard born from incest and being honorable gives her a huge headstart on running away not foreseeing that she could just snap her fingers and have him captured and accused of conspiracy which she does.
Also he raised Jon as his bastard despite being a legitimate son of the then prince and created a ton of headaches for the entire continent because telling the truth would break his promise to his dying sister.
Ned is honorable but in that way that he follows the letter of the law only and totally ignores the spirit.

There's also two incidents before the start of the series that led to the reputation. The fact that he didn't take the throne himself when he stormed King's Landing and that he drooped his old life and agreed to marry Cat after his brother died.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jesus gently caress what the hell with those loving teeth

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

satirepost?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Based on Cat in the novels there's zero chance she doesn't gently caress that up completely either. When you look at it objectively her behavior is some of the most insane, irrational poo poo you can imagine with zero awareness of the risk or consequences.

Very point to all posted above. But I quote this because holy poo poo, they really had to redo Cat for the show, because in the books she is loving insanely stupid and malicious. Not as bad as Cersei, but that's not a high bar to clear.

Between her and Ned, it's a wonder any of their kids aren't too dumb to breathe.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cowslips Warren posted:

Off the GOT stuff, why not one super hosed up Harry Potter thing?

Love potions. Why the gently caress are rape drugs totally legal and cheap/easy enough for schoolkids to get or make?

Lest we forget, Harry Potter is a franchise in which its creator, or someone its creator approved of, sat down and wrote out how characters in its world used to magic away their poo poo and piss instead of using the bathroom.

quote:

…when Hogwarts’ plumbing became more elaborate in the eighteenth century (this was a rare instance of wizards copying Muggles, because hitherto they simply relieved themselves wherever they stood, and vanished the evidence), the entrance to the Chamber [of Secrets] was threatened, being located on the site of a proposed bathroom.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mescal posted:

satirepost?

He claimed his conservative political views were instrumental in his show being canceled.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Acute Grill posted:

His honor is that he's loyal to his family, allies, and the law in that order. He wasn't raised to be a proper lord, he was brought up to be the loyal and dutiful second in command to his brother. Ned was in way over his head the second he was the Lord of Winterfell.

By all accounts he did a perfectly fine job as Lord of Winterfell. He’s honorable, but more flexible than Stannis, and he knows the culture and the people, who he can trust and who he has to keep at arm’s length. Ned isn’t really an idiot, but he’s very out of his element in King’s Landing where the culture is very different and intrigue is ratcheted up 1000x times more intensely.

And his major lapse with Cersei, which is a dumb move in his point, is less about his lack of brains and more about not wanting to see more children get their brains bashed in like the last time he supported a coup. I think it makes sense for the character tbh

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I still think that play Arya watches gives him better motivation and characterization. Also I like that Sansa better than the one in the show.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Love potions. Why the gently caress are rape drugs totally legal and cheap/easy enough for schoolkids to get or make?

Strange Magic was one WTF movie from George Lucas, but love potions were never shown as good things.

Obviously you weren't paying attention when JK let us know that the child of parents who aren't really in love will be pure evil, which is certainly a direction to take.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Calaveron posted:

Ned Stark is classic Lawful Stupid.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

In the books the most well off Stark kid might be the one hunting unicorns on Cannibal Island.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC he was going feral last time we saw him

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Cowslips Warren posted:

Strange Magic was one WTF movie from George Lucas, but love potions were never shown as good things.

Like so much in the series, this is a result of Rowling grabbing traditional fairy tale elements and shoved them in without thinking. Then later on tried to actually do something with it after several books of trating them as nothing

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Did the children of wizards just walk around with lovely pants until their parents zapped the poo poo away? Like, kids don't have magic training until they're in middle school.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean they don’t have the winning king losing a battle and dying completely reversing the course of the war. Then the king winning only to have his advisor turn on him and put him in house arrest. Which he only escaped because the nobles refused to take orders without seeing king. So the advisor took him off house arrest only for him to just wander away. Forcing the advisor to join forces with the first kings Queen and son.

Those events are two of the most important events not represented

It'd be a real laugh if they made a big budget Wars of the Roses TV series now.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Gnoman posted:

Like so much in the series, this is a result of Rowling grabbing traditional fairy tale elements and shoved them in without thinking. Then later on tried to actually do something with it after several books of trating them as nothing

It's a series where the [i]good[\i] Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers think it's a great idea to have 13-year-olds confront their Worst Fears in public in front of all their friends, with no prior research.

It's not too difficult to imagine how terribly, horribly wrong that could have gone. Luckily, the children had PG-rated fears that they weren't more than marginally ashamed about. In the books, anyway.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gnoman posted:

That Rowling took a fairy creature as innocent and lovely as "the brownies that do housework for kind people" and turned it into chattel slavery says volumes about her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pigbuster posted:

That Rowling took a fairy creature as innocent and lovely as "the brownies that do housework for kind people" and turned it into chattel slavery says volumes about her.

That she's English and a neoliberal

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Pigbuster posted:

And the one person who's like "yo this is hosed up" is mocked for it

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Blue Moonlight posted:

Lest we forget, Harry Potter is a franchise in which its creator, or someone its creator approved of, sat down and wrote out how characters in its world used to magic away their poo poo and piss instead of using the bathroom.

Horrifyingly, that part isn't even unbelievable.

People really did just poo poo where they stood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4IkEoi5TXg&t=94s

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Right. Now to shop that into Mars Attacks! and then Mar Attacks! in GoT.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

And the one person who's like "yo this is hosed up" is mocked for it

And the creatures themselves are happier being slaves to the point that she's told to by them to quit trying to save them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There are so many interesting historical events they could use but like but they never get used.

Like the war of the roses was insane with so many stupid twists and turns that people would call it lovely writing

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
just adapt the yugioh version of it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Horrifyingly, that part isn't even unbelievable.

People really did just poo poo where they stood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4IkEoi5TXg&t=94s

this was a problem with versailles itself, which was massively overcrowded

basically versailles started out as a remote hunting cabin in the 17th c, near-ish to paris but far enough out that there would be woods full of things for the french kings to kill. successive kings kept making the place more of a cozy retreat, and then each following king liked it more and expanded it more, until it became basically the most important palace where the king and court lived all the time

because it had started as a remote location, it didn't have a great setup for water, sanitation, and drainage. before industrialization made it easier to dig water and sewer lines, the provision of such things were massively labor intensive, and more often just neglected for settling in places where water/sewerage were naturally abundant. this meant that there wasn't really a good way to keep versailles clean, supply fresh water, or remove human/household waste other than making servants lug it all around, which caps how much water can be made available for cleaning, and how quickly waste can be removed. obviously plumbing technology wasn't common or developed enough to plumb individual rooms in the building (this effort was dedicated to the fountains of the garden) but even then in terms of like some kind of public latrine or something outside, no.

also, the french government was increasingly centralized and authoritarian, meaning that the location of the king, his family, his courtiers, his advisors and functionaries, and all their loving families and hangers on and such etc. it was a massive entourage even by the standards of european nobility at the height of royal and aristocratic power

so, versailles itself. it was one part opulent pleasure residence and one part the main government building of the kingdom of france, as at this time the french king holding court was an important symbolic but also functional way for government to run (the king would also just sit down with like the chancellor of finances and do meetings etc. but still, in the house). again, there's a ton of loving people constantly in this house. sanitary standards of the time basically mean if you're important you'll have a dedicated private room to poo poo in. important-but-lesser-so people who have private quarters assigned to them might have a 'commode' for defecation, being a movable box for the task which is then dealt with by servants. otherwise there may be some rare public place but good luck. several hundred people could be accomodated in this way but there were regularly close to ten thousand god drat people clogging up this palace and the surrounding environs, including all the servants necessary to make the place run

versailles did not have nearly enough public restrooms. imagine the last time you went, in the pre-covid times, to a stadium or concert hall or something, how large the public restrooms are, so that many dozens of people can relieve themselves sanitarily? at versailles you'd be lucky to find one of the few unoccupied closets, so you could poo poo through a wooden hole into a bucket maybe. and its not like there were really adequate custodial staff either, the place was run mostly as a home and not as a public facility, so you'd probably prefer to poo poo outside. the once a week cleaning wasn't because of a disregard of waste, but because the servants tasked to cleaning worked constant 12+ hour days - premodern houses require a LOT of work - at it was as frequent as they could get around to cleaning up relative to everything else that needed to be done

i also want to reiterate public facility here, because its funny. versailles even at the time was open to tourists. its only ten or so miles from paris, so most people could easily get a ride of some kind to get there or even walk there if so motivated. the grounds were free to enter for anyone who was considered properly dressed, and vendors would rent the appropriate attire outside of the gates. it wasn't just the king and all of the successive orbits of people around him who were competing for sanitary facilities, but any random loving person from paris who decided to go visit the king's house that day.

sean lock makes a point in that clip about making GBS threads in the gardens - this is what most people resorted to, because discretion was important and shame existed. nobody would really just drop trou and poo poo on the floor of the palace in public. some folks may have been motivated so to sneakily relieve themselves, but even at the time it was an element of gossip that the lower level courtiers and hangers on of hangers on would slip away to the gardens at sunset to eliminate waste they've been holding in all day, knowing it was fruitless to try to find one of the few public toilets in the place

oh also, the place was swarming with pet dogs and they weren't really trained, which is the most likely source of random corner turds

tldr: its not so much that people didn't know or care about human waste, but that versailles itself was a weird crowded mess which was a sanitary nightmare

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Oct 25, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Civilization is Magic.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Versailles being the 17th century equivalent of a nerd convention is extremely funny to me and I'm sad I've never seen a movie capitalize on that, because it's always depicted as being sort of austerely classy.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Versailles being the 17th century equivalent of a nerd convention is extremely funny to me and I'm sad I've never seen a movie capitalize on that, because it's always depicted as being sort of austerely classy.

Apologies, monsieur, le roi will be unable to see you today - however, you may have a free hour in the fosse ŕ balles.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Jesus gently caress what the hell with those loving teeth

Here is 15 minutes of Jimmy giving Rob poo poo for his teeth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn_CX7coWys

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I'm not gonna watch that but is it like a morton downey jr thing or what

https://i.imgur.com/awRajXA.jpg

(linking because to do otherwise would be cruel and irresponsible click at ur own peril)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This, but the Michael Douglas/Kathleen Turner movie and not the English Civil War.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm waiting for a new American Civil War movie where some of the Southern masters are super good to their slaves, and the Northern invaders are super sexist and racist. Maybe call it The War of Northern Aggression.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Remember how the Game of Thrones guys wanted to make a tv show about a world where the south won the civil war? How unimaginable—a world of unchallenged white supremacy where black people are killed by police without consequence and have no rights.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
In fairness they didn't create it, they were just hired to make it. The creators were the husband and wife team behind Empire and The Good Wife.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much detail they would have used for the first few seasons before cramming everything into a finale of a wet poo poo.

I still have never received a real answer as to The South Shall Rise Again in terms of...and then what? Every black person in the south is enslaved again? What about outside the South? What about non-blacks that are POC? Will Hispanics become slaves? You guys gonna go back to growing nicotine and cotton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

In fairness they didn't create it, they were just hired to make it. The creators were the husband and wife team behind Empire and The Good Wife.
Yeah but the thing is you can turn down jobs

It's a safe, legal thrill