Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LatwPIAT posted:

But it's so much more sinister if you can blame the CIA for literally everything, casting them as a secular demiurge shrouding the people in false consciousness!
Look, what's the alternative... people had bad ideas on their own? Impossible.

this is not a denial that the CIA has done plenty of bizarre weird poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean the journalist to dev or PR or producer route is so common because journalists in enthusiast press don't get paid poo poo and jobs are always so fragile.

Once you like have a kid or a family it's much much more stable to take the job at a company that on a whim won't layoff it's entire workforce and move to unpaid contributors. Media jobs are very very tenuous nowadays.

Also it's generally better to be nice to people and devs vs screaming at usually the people who have jack all to do with the problems or any real decision making, about how they suck and deserve to die for daring to release a bad game.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Dexo posted:

Also it's generally better to be nice to people and devs vs screaming at usually the people who have jack all to do with the problems or any real decision making, about how they suck and deserve to die for daring to release a bad game.

perhaps there is a middle ground, friend.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The main qualification for being a video games journalist is being able to afford to live in the Bay Area on a video game journalist's wage.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
As far as I’ve seen, every attempt at a game news site written by “real gamers” ends up a failure because the reviews are written at a middle school book report level and the writers quickly burn out trying to keep up the pace, leading to the site either going inactive or just copying press releases and Twitter rumors without any research or analysis

There is definitely an art to hobby journalism that a significant segment of the hobby doesn’t respect until they take a shot at it themselves

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Gaming "journalism" was the forerunner of influencers, and both have since been obsoleated by streamers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Chairman posted:

As far as I’ve seen, every attempt at a game news site written by “real gamers” ends up a failure because the reviews are written at a middle school book report level and the writers quickly burn out trying to keep up the pace, leading to the site either going inactive or just copying press releases and Twitter rumors without any research or analysis

There is definitely an art to hobby journalism that a significant segment of the hobby doesn’t respect until they take a shot at it themselves

Doesn't help there's really only so much poo poo to write about while maintaining your interest.

And like with magazines, the middleman's pretty much been totally cut out by streamers and social media, and even message boards before then. Also doesn't help that it's about the same with any other kind of entertainment journalism; rehashed press releases and what amounts to paid ads are the norm for everything else from books to TV to movies, and you're better off finding people whose tastes are close to yours and hearing their opinions.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The main qualification for being a video games journalist is being able to afford to live in the Bay Area on a video game journalist's wage.

I've read horror stories of 10+ people renting a tiny condo and sleeping packed in like Sardines.

The Chairman posted:

Goonhammer is a pretty good one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

Gaming "journalism" was the forerunner of influencers, and both have since been obsoleated by streamers.

All nerd journalism is, as a friend puts it, fan non-fiction.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

That also describes a depressing amount of regular journalism at this point.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
A huge party of the reason games journalism outlets crash and burn is venture capital bullshit and firing 70% of the staff after any given site gets bought by another. poo poo like execs demanding someone create a multimedia platform for all their videos instead of just putting it on YouTube because they want 100% of the ad revenue instead of 70%

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

Mechagamezilla, a fantastic youtuber who is criminally under-appreciated described it as "News a game has come out, news a game is coming out, news a game has been cancelled, and everything else is rubbish blowing around on an empty beach."

Which, yeah.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
NFTs are coming to board games!

Apparently a game based around "Mechanics similar to Catan" where you get physical tokens with NFT artwork of NBA players that you can see when you look through the game's AR app. I've never heard of the company and this looks to be their first game; their website doesn't have names for anyone but the founder and I can't find any past Trad. Games work.

quote:

“There is a missing bridge between the ‘old school’ [board games] and the technology that exists today, a bridge that also connects our need to own something physical in a world that is moving too far into the digital,” said Sequoia Games founder Daniel Choi. “In today’s gaming landscape, we either have 1960s board games or mobile apps and PS5s. There is no reason these worlds need to be separate.”

Yeah, I'm good. The only app-integrated game I own is U-BOOT, and it's app actually does something since besides just make little cartoon basketball players dance on the board. I guess the advantage here is that the board game will still be playable and the app stuff is just cosmetic. It'd be a real shame to lose the ability to play a $100+ board game when the life cycle of the app is up and nobody ever updates it for the OS of the next year or two.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rhandhali posted:

Apparently a game based around "Mechanics similar to Catan" where you get physical tokens with NFT artwork of NBA players that you can see when you look through the game's AR app. I've never heard of the company and this looks to be their first game; their website doesn't have names for anyone but the founder and I can't find any past Trad. Games work.

Yeah, I'm good. The only app-integrated game I own is U-BOOT, and it's app actually does something since besides just make little cartoon basketball players dance on the board. I guess the advantage here is that the board game will still be playable and the app stuff is just cosmetic. It'd be a real shame to lose the ability to play a $100+ board game when the life cycle of the app is up and nobody ever updates it for the OS of the next year or two.

Given the lifespan of various NFT projects so far, "the next year or two" is being wildly optimistic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Mechagamezilla, a fantastic youtuber who is criminally under-appreciated described it as "News a game has come out, news a game is coming out, news a game has been cancelled, and everything else is rubbish blowing around on an empty beach."

Which, yeah.

at first I thought the CineD poster had broken out and shifted to youtube

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Countblanc posted:

A huge party of the reason games journalism outlets crash and burn is venture capital bullshit and firing 70% of the staff after any given site gets bought by another. poo poo like execs demanding someone create a multimedia platform for all their videos instead of just putting it on YouTube because they want 100% of the ad revenue instead of 70%

Also the pivot to video

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Rhandhali posted:

So, they're taking NFT's, primarily digital assets, and tying them to physical game pieces. While this does serve the purpose of attaching actual value to an NFT, what this is actually doing is basically printing trading cards with QR codes on them. The game piece (and whatever functionality it provides in the app) is the important part of value equation, while the NFT aspect is basically just an authentication receipt... Ignoring the fact that without some elaborate form of copy protection, there would be no way to stop a simple photocopier from making counterfeit NFT's. I can't imagine a way to sell one without the other anyway, so the NFT/digital side of these things seem completely secondary to owning the actual tokens.

Edit: The only way I could see people tie NFT's to Physical objects, is if you had one physical token mapping to multiple digital assets you could sell and trade. Like, if you played a digital card game, but your deck/collection was tied to a physical ID card you would carry around. Or one of those Japanese Arcade games that scans cards with NFC chips, but it's connected to the internet to see your account. But... that's more selling you a physical Crypto wallet, for an NFT trading card marketplace. And people could still just photocopy/steal it, and steal all your cards. And if you're playing a digital game anyway... just have a digital account. But, if we had Yugioh-style hologram technology to play with, or a thriving global arcade scene, this would be cool as hell. :science:

Desfore fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 24, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Desfore posted:

The only way I could see people tie NFT's to Physical objects, is if you had one physical token mapping to multiple digital assets you could sell and trade. Like, if you played a digital card game, but your deck/collection was tied to a physical ID card you would carry around. Or one of those Japanese Arcade games that scans cards with NFC chips, but it's connected to the internet to see your account. But... that's more selling you a physical Crypto wallet, for an NFT trading card marketplace. And people could still just photocopy/steal it, and steal all your cards. And if you're playing a digital game anyway... just have a digital account. But, if we had Yugioh-style hologram technology to play with, or a thriving global arcade scene, this would be cool as hell. :science:
This is what public/private keys are for. You have a privaye key that lets you edit a deck and a derived public key which is what you use to reference the deck for play.

Except, as you pointed out, you could do the same with a regular username/password setup which has the added advantage of allowing you to change the password if it gets compromised.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Given the lifespan of various NFT projects so far, "the next year or two" is being wildly optimistic.

Maybe it'll be like that NFT company that was doing just ugly cartoon monkey pictures and then vanished into the night with I believe several million dollars.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dawgstar posted:

Maybe it'll be like that NFT company that was doing just ugly cartoon monkey pictures and then vanished into the night with I believe several million dollars.

There's been more than one. Folding Ideas has a pretty good/long thread about it.

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1445986978189639680?s=20

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Just a momentary glance at reddit shows that most NFTs are composed of art that nobody would otherwise touch or care about without the scam. Actually having something of marginal value or use is a real step up in the NFT world.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Just a momentary glance at reddit shows that most NFTs are composed of art that nobody would otherwise touch or care about without the scam. Actually having something of marginal value or use is a real step up in the NFT world.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
On a totally different note, looks like Leonard Balsera is leaving the industry.
https://twitter.com/baneofcows/status/1452344822401011716
Without him, we wouldn't have Fate (or at least not in anything like the forms it's evolved through) and a lot of modern game design would look different. I think he often didn't get the credit he deserved for it, unfortunately, but moving out of tabletop is often a pay increase so I hope he does well wherever he's going next.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I love Balsera initiative order so much. He'll be missed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Absurd Alhazred posted:

People skipped over a step here: basically, the way it goes, X% of people sign union cards, then the union gets to say "hey, recognize us". Then either the company says "fine, all right, let's get a collective agreement going" or they can say "you know, we're not sure; how about you do a union election just to be certain that people reaaaaaaallllyyy want it?" and then spend months busting the union, pouring propaganda to scare people away from voting, or voting "YES". That's what happened with that Amazon warehouse a while back, they got the cards but failed the election.

Isn't that failure under dispute too, thanks to the company putting up what may have been a fraudulent mailbox accepting ballots that management had access to?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Liquid Communism posted:

Isn't that failure under dispute too, thanks to the company putting up what may have been a fraudulent mailbox accepting ballots that management had access to?

Yeah, but the penalty is strictly the pro union folks can get another vote. Meanwhile the employer has had a chance to ferret out organizers and get rid of them and already got their heavy prep of anti union propaganda meetings, bribery, and intimidation.
Amazon is uniquely powerful here, and has been able to do things other union busters have only been able to dream of -like constantly shuffling employee assignments and workstations and heavy monitoring of employee locations on site to help reduce any organizing efforts or track who employees have been in contact with.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Bafflingly, it really does seem like the overwhelming amount of hobby journalists never understand a single goddamn thing about their hobby, with many of them just using it as a way to get themselves a job at an industry company. The PR to staff pipeline is frustratingly common. I'm not saying your friend is like that, but the sheer volume of video game journalists, for example, that are literally incapable of playing video games, but extremely capable of writing "Why you expecting the things the publisher told you were in the game that were factually not is you being an rear end in a top hat, not them." and "No, you don't deserve to have a functioning game because a guy on reddit called the devs a swear word." articles until they're suddenly a voice actor or writer is kind of...interesting!

2014 called. They don't particularly want their nonsensical gamergate rants back but do at least want to alert us to the fact one escaped. If there are actually a significant number of video game journalists that are "literally incapable of playing video games" then the problem isn't with the journalists but with the tutorial systems in the video games. It doesn't take any great skill to play most video games, and even those that it does part of the point of good game design is to teach those skills, and if the game doesn't do so then it is failing. Now it's possible that game journalists have lives and "hardcore gamers" lives are entirely lived with their gamepad so they don't build up the same skills as hardcore gamers. But all that means is that hardcore gamers are a tiny niche and because they are so few aren't the people the journalists are writing for. And the journalist -> voice actor pipeline? Seriously?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

neonchameleon posted:

2014 called. They don't particularly want their nonsensical gamergate rants back but do at least want to alert us to the fact one escaped. If there are actually a significant number of video game journalists that are "literally incapable of playing video games" then the problem isn't with the journalists but with the tutorial systems in the video games. It doesn't take any great skill to play most video games, and even those that it does part of the point of good game design is to teach those skills, and if the game doesn't do so then it is failing. Now it's possible that game journalists have lives and "hardcore gamers" lives are entirely lived with their gamepad so they don't build up the same skills as hardcore gamers. But all that means is that hardcore gamers are a tiny niche and because they are so few aren't the people the journalists are writing for. And the journalist -> voice actor pipeline? Seriously?

I don’t agree with most of that post but game journalism outfits are infamously bad at video games and it’s not the games’ fault. Here’s Polygon failing at the tutorial to 2016 Doom, not because the tutorial is bad but because they don’t understand twin-stick FPS controls (standard for decades) and look to be on a good dose of tranquilizers https://youtu.be/9yYp8ZeQ-I8

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And that's not strictly speaking unique to games journalists.

David Jaffe got Stuck in Metroid Dread and missed every single visual clue trying to point him towards the correct path, and apparently missed the Navigator message of "Hey if you're stuck just try shooting the loving walls."

Which wouldn't have been bad in itself, but he then went on Twitter and stated that Dread was a bad game and not worth the money because of that. The internet rightly roasted him.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Goons are just as bad, but don't have their first time playing a game broadcast for the world to see because like all advertising corporations the hobby/video game press has insane timetables for their employees. Specifically at least one goon was completely unable to understand that pressing the jump button longer gave a higher jump in metroid and wanted a refund.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Terrible Opinions posted:

Goons are just as bad, but don't have their first time playing a game broadcast for the world to see because like all advertising corporations the hobby/video game press has insane timetables for their employees. Specifically at least one goon was completely unable to understand that pressing the jump button longer gave a higher jump in metroid and wanted a refund.

And that's without the added distraction of trying to provide decent commentary while playing a game.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

And that's without the added distraction of trying to provide decent commentary while playing a game.

This is an often overlooked component, but ask anyone who's given streaming a shot and they'll tell you it is hard to play a game and be entertaining at the same time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

Most games journalists do not cross that bar either. They're aiming more for "sound enthusiastic enough for the company to keep sending us early product". Regardless of shitheads hating them and the name one should never believe the guys streaming for game news websites are actually journalists. They are advertisers. Actual journalists are more or less entirely consumed by talking about the business end of game making and how lovely it is.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Terrible Opinions posted:

Most games journalists do not cross that bar either. They're aiming more for "sound enthusiastic enough for the company to keep sending us early product". Regardless of shitheads hating them and the name one should never believe the guys streaming for game news websites are actually journalists. They are advertisers. Actual journalists are more or less entirely consumed by talking about the business end of game making and how lovely it is.

That may or may not be true, but in either case, it's really hard to do at all, to say nothing about doing it well.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i apologize for framing it in a way where i'm implicitly poo poo-talking your friend on a personal level, but at the same time, media journalism (and especially for nerd media) is like 99.9% "advertising with delusions of grandeur"

a forum thread or twitter feed full of fan opinions, even as bad as they probably are, is still more useful than the collective/average output of people who get paid to write about it

You're not 100% wrong, but there's a definite difference in the ability to rewrite a press release in such a way that it makes the show look appealing, and therefore gets it views on Crunchyroll through their affiliate link, versus talking about how great the dragon girls look and maybe accidentally spoiling the ending via comparison to another show. The forum reviews are definitely more useful to the consumer, but monetizing that as a career...

It is increasingly like being a good buggy-whip manufacturer or typewriter repair person, in that the demand has cratered and the world has mostly moved on, even though the skill itself is difficult and takes time to learn to do well.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Part of the problem is you have to talk about *every new release* regardless of genre but also be a capable writer and no poo poo there's going to be problems. To take it back to TG, it would be like having rando boardgamer come up and try to learn Empire of the Sun to review it- that's enough of a problem as is, but you also have to get good enough at it and play it enough to actually meaningfully comment on it, and then maybe know enough of the history to consider its accuracy or not. Most wargame reviews are 1-2 turns noodling around in solitaire, some commentary about what the game promises to be, and move on to the next one.

The voracious appetite for takes ASAP is always going to run against actually having people who understand the thing comment on it intelligently.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/rosesonhergrave/status/1452637150965604355?s=21

Just say the loud part loud I guess.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Didn't he get kicked off drivethrurpg for trying to sneak Zak back in? He doesn't have anything to list at this point I suppose.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Just say it's Zak you loving baby.

It probably isn't even Zak, is it, he just wants to be able to go I NEVER SAID WHO IT WAS and yell at people "harassing" him before eventually revealing it to be some random other guy, to own the libs.

I didn't even notice the title. Gosh, such edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
What’s the point of this, honestly?

Hate reads? Showing off what a dick you are?

The description of that adventure isn’t anything special, was he worried he wouldn’t get enough attention?