Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Godspeed, all. I'll see you when it hits steam. o7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, things aren´t looking to rosy for the faith based characters from the first game, unfortunately.

Leper's there, he's fine! Still got Leprosy, but he's fine!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Maybe all the religious heroes will be added later in a DLC :kiddo:

they're totally corrupted to poo poo now

The crusader's helmet was seen in a corpse pile in promo art. When people asked about "Where's the Crusader/Where's Reynald?", the artist pointed this out directly.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

RIP Reynauld, got bored of his family and died

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
game looks dope. gj person in this thread who did artist work

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

game looks dope. gj person in this thread who did artist work

Yeah 100% that art is god drat beautiful.

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
That looked amazing, I was worried about the 3D art until I saw that, looks great in motion.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Xibanya posted:

Heya folks. I am the graphics programmer on Darkest Dungeon 2, so I'm probably going to be f5ing this thread furiously when it comes out. I can't tell ya'll anything that hasn't been revealed directly by the studio, but I know offhand everything that has been revealed directly by the studio so if you have a question I may be able to answer it! :eng101:

Incredible work. Curious if there's a roadmap going to be released that indicates what's missing from the EA release and when it might be seen in the future, but holy poo poo amazing job handling the move to 3D

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah we know all the returning heroes

Man at Arms, Grave Robber, Highwayman, Occultist, Leper, Hellion, Plague Doctor and Jester

Then we also get the new Runaway.

I'm personally more sad we lost the abomination. RIP :( But they're pretty massively expanding the talent trees so it looks like they want to make all the characters much more distinct instead of having a lot of characters with overlapping roles.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 23, 2021

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Looks extremely good, I'm in.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Xibanya posted:

I want to point out that the characters shown in promotional stills of the game are not illustrations, they are the same real-time models you will see in combat, with the same shader they use the entire game. They look that good all the time.

Seriously, they look so good. All the time. Anytime. People are gonna eat this game up like a cupcake.

Anyway hi I've been off SA for months but I too worked on this game! Don't ask me anything because I will not know the answers because I'm a contractor on the other side of the world. I'm just here to enjoy everybody's hype. :toot:

For those curious - I am one of the Goon Authors from over in CC who has transitioned into mostly games writing and editing these days. I edited the script and did some writing and I WILL cry when people inevitably say my barks suck. But such is the price we pay for glory.

Anomalous Blowout fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 24, 2021

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Seriously, they look so good. All the time. Anytime. People are gonna eat this game up like a cupcake.

Anyway hi I've been off SA for months but I too worked on this game! Don't ask me anything because I will not know the answers because I'm a contractor on the other side of the world. I'm just here to enjoy everybody's hype. :toot:

For those curious - I am one of the Goon Authors from over in CC who has transitioned into mostly games writing and editing these days. I edited the script and did some writing and I WILL cry when people inevitably say my barks suck. But such is the price we play for glory.

o poo poo, goon spotted

given you influence the story I should have known you were protected

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah I have way too many hours in DD, this has me hyped. I'll be on the tail end though, I don't want early access, I want it baked and in my hand on my Switch. But it looks loving gorgeous y'all should be proud. If it plays to the spirit of the first I think it'll be a huge success.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Xibanya posted:

Heya folks. I am the graphics programmer on Darkest Dungeon 2, so I'm probably going to be f5ing this thread furiously when it comes out. I can't tell ya'll anything that hasn't been revealed directly by the studio, but I know offhand everything that has been revealed directly by the studio so if you have a question I may be able to answer it! :eng101:

How does this game compare in gameplay terms to the first one. From what I have seen they have completely removed the RPG mechanics of the game and is now more like of a card game / deck builder?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Savy Saracen salad posted:

they have completely removed the RPG mechanics of the game and is now more like of a card game / deck builder

that’s news to me :thunk: try watching the trailer I just posted

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 24, 2021

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Xibanya posted:

o poo poo, goon spotted

given you influence the story I should have known you were protected

:getin:

I guess I can talk about this part a lil!

For those curious:

The narrative is all still the same guy who did the first one - nothing's changed there. I just helped further sharpen the nails of his already terrifying vocabulary, if anyone was concerned about Some Random leaping on to gently caress with all that.

And I will say getting to hear Wayne June narrate stuff I helped write has been one of the singular pleasures of my career.

...and that I wrote the bit in the trailer about Man-at-Arms wanting a massage, lol

Anomalous Blowout fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 25, 2021

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
My contribution to the game is very hard to explain to non developers. Literally every frame looks how it does due to something I did, but it doesn’t look like that solely because of what I did, it’s the great models, textures, animation, etc coming together. (Well I can point to specific effects I created but shading is way more than just VFX.) I guess the best way I could put it is that being the graphics programmer on a game is like being a colorist for a comic book. Just like lovely coloring can make great line art look crass, lovely shading can make incredible models look cheap, and just as great coloring can turn a page into a gallery piece, great shading is what makes 3D graphics truly astounding.

in other words, imagine 4 meshes on the edge of a cliff, 3d graphics works the same way

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
From that trailer, I’m looking very much forwards to Darkest Kart Racer.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I made a video which I shared internally of gameplay set to The Offspring’s All I Want and I am looking forward to release so that I can share this shitpost publicly

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was disappointed I didn't get to beta test the sequel. I was in the beta test group for the first game (got to play the endgame content before release) and Crimson Court, but never heard back from John Lindvay when I emailed him expressing interest in beta testing the sequel :(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was Ride Or Die for the first game, played it from beginning to end in early access, still one of my absolute favorites----cannot wait for this new one. Amazing how the animation was translated to 3D SO well---looks like a storybook popup and those stills when you attack are a perfect homage to the prior game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think there's a single thing about this sequel that I'm not hyped about.

Even if you add those god forsaken vampire mosquitos I wouldn't be mad.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

bunch of streamers got early access
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Darkest%20Dungeon%20II
looking good

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

holy poo poo the character animations are so smooth
one way to kill the competition and imitators

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

hooman posted:

Yeah 100% that art is god drat beautiful.

Only downside is that it's going to be a bit harder for people to create and add extra classes. Everything else looks pretty good through.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Dear lord the trailer and twitch streams,my body is ready.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Count me among the skeptics that're now converted, the 3D art is not merely a concession to greater utlity, which is honestly what I'd been thinking, like the change from Street Fighter's sprites to 3d. No, it works, it looks great, it's in every way a worthy continuation of a game I loved in large part for its aesthetic.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
:smug: :smug: :smug:

oh god I can see all the imperfections aaaaaaaaaa

but anyway :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The animations are so good

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The shrines are unbelievably cool. Fight in a customized battle from the character's past and unlock a new ability as a reward, what a brilliant way to do that.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

That animation where the MAA drags his mace on the ground after attacking before returning it to his chest, banging his breastplate? :discourse:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I tried to watch one of the streams but the guy playing it sucked so bad I couldn't keep watching. He kept wasting everyone's turns doing 1 point stress heals and making his highwayman do grapeshot blasts rather than duelist advance/point-blank.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The trailer looked amazing. I can't wait for this to come out because I was on board with DD from the early release last time on Steam and it only got better from there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

cumshitter posted:

I tried to watch one of the streams but the guy playing it sucked so bad I couldn't keep watching. He kept wasting everyone's turns doing 1 point stress heals and making his highwayman do grapeshot blasts rather than duelist advance/point-blank.

Can't believe that guy isn't a pro at this game the day before it officially comes out

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

cumshitter posted:

Check out BaerTaffy, dude is a pro and pretty entertaining. He also did some voicework in dd1

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm like the seventieth person to say it but man all those animations look incredible. I watched one of the streams for a few minutes and I'm really intrigued by the relationship stuff deepening the sanity mechanics. The guy I was watching was defending with his MoA a lot and he and the PD became friends and not only got some passive buffs (the MoA got some Blight resistance, that was the one thing the streamer pointed out) but they also kept doing encouraging barks toward each other that gave sanity and HP heals.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It looks like there's a way to get tag team attacks if one hero likes another one enough. Pretty cool.

Did they re scale damage values? I noticed Plague Doctor battlefield medicine was healing for 12 hp, yet it didn't move their health bar much.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

Can't believe that guy isn't a pro at this game the day before it officially comes out

From what I can tell combat is largely the same, but with some additional items and tweaks to healing. Also the enemies now have death's door too.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I wonder what happens when you reach the mountain and run out of road. SYMBOLISM THAT'S WHAT! swarthy workmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Holy poo poo Antiquarian is an enemy now?!