Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What did insiders do it Jobs office? Sip Kombuchas and poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

*sips old fashioned*

*grabs random apple secretary's rear end"

I mean if anybody was serially hitting on employees it was apparently Bill Gates

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bad Purchase posted:

Anyway, when I looked last year none of the 3 user-friendly vm tools (virtualbox, parallels, vmware) supported x86 virtualization on the M1, so I abandoned the idea and figured I'd wait till that got sorted out. I got interested again because of the new hardware last week, so I did a bit of googling and it seems like a year later it's still the same story.

The exact thing you're looking for will never exist, because it would be a whole-machine emulator, not merely a virtual machine. Virtualbox, Parallels, and VMWare are all hypervisors: their virtual machines are the same architecture as the host, so little or no emulation is involved.

Apple's support for x86 programs on M1 is a very different approach: it's neither a hypervisor nor a whole-machine emulator. Instead, it's a user-mode only emulator. On first launch of an x86 binary, they run a x86-to-Arm recompiler and save its output to disk. There's also a JIT for any self modifying code. This approach enables a bunch of optimizations which make Rosetta 2 capable of approaching native speed.

quote:

It's gonna suck if this never gets solved because I'd prefer to continue using macs and would really like to move to something that is not so hot/loud and with better battery life. I kinda doubt Xilinx are gonna bother supporting the M1, especially now that they're owned by AMD, so I may have no choice except to switch to a windows or linux laptop when my current mbp dies (probably when a single dorito crumb finally kills the butterfly keyboard).

You're barking up the wrong tree, imo. What you should be watching for is developments in virtualization of Arm guest operating systems in Parallels and VMWare, and fast user-mode x86 emulation inside said operating systems.

The fast usermode emulator built into Win 10/11 on Arm (WoA) is decent, even though it can never be quite as fast as Rosetta 2. (Apple gets to take advantage of some non-standard M1 extensions to make Rosetta faster.) In turn, Parallels has excellent support for WoA. The fly in the ointment is that you cannot run WoA legally since Microsoft does not sell end user licenses of WoA, just OEM licenses for Windows Arm hardware. If you're fine with that, and you're fine paying for Parallels knowing that MS could take action to shut it all down, this is probably the highest performance option today.

The next tier down is a couple of userspace x86 emulation projects for arm64 Linux:

https://github.com/FEX-Emu/FEX
https://box86.org

For Linux virtualization, I'd recommend VMWare. It's now free for individual noncommercial use, and they've been focusing on Arm Linux since they've chosen to stay the hell away from the WoA licensing kerfuffle.

One of these days I need to sit down and try the Linux path to see how well I can get Vivado to run, if at all. (I, too, am cursed with needing to run it.)

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Data Graham posted:

We’re going to exit this epoch of human civilization without ever knowing for sure what kills those keyboards, huh?

Guessing it was something that went wrong in the fabrication of the actual hinges and by the time they realized it there were too many examples in the wild and production chains had matured such that there was no way to reasonably fix it.

Completely redesigning a keyboard hinge like that and rebuilding/creating new supply chains and production to source in the tens of millions per year isn't an easy task even if you have the cash Apple does. They were probably locked in to a 2-3 year cycle to fix it, and if the new design is only lasting 4-5, then why fix it along the way?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BobHoward posted:

The exact thing you're looking for will never exist, because it would be a whole-machine emulator, not merely a virtual machine.

What I'm looking for does kinda exist but it's not good because, as you say, it's full emulation and slow as poo poo. An example of someone running x86 win10 emulated on an M1 system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUmb3rG2xkk

Also I don't know how well this setup can integrate with the host (i.e., using USB devices). It should be possible, but this is pretty far off the beaten path that it might be a pain to get working and keep working.

BobHoward posted:

You're barking up the wrong tree, imo. What you should be watching for is developments in virtualization of Arm guest operating systems in Parallels and VMWare, and fast user-mode x86 emulation inside said operating systems.

The fast usermode emulator built into Win 10/11 on Arm (WoA) is decent, even though it can never be quite as fast as Rosetta 2. (Apple gets to take advantage of some non-standard M1 extensions to make Rosetta faster.) In turn, Parallels has excellent support for WoA. The fly in the ointment is that you cannot run WoA legally since Microsoft does not sell end user licenses of WoA, just OEM licenses for Windows Arm hardware.

Yes, I think you're right that this is the only realistic solution for stuff that isn't native to MacOS and thus can't use Rosetta. I did find a good write up by someone who was trying to get some x86 docker app running in a Parallels Win 10 Arm guest using its new x86 emulation, and it looked like everything should just work but for whatever reason it didn't. It's a pretty new feature, so it's not surprising that it has some rough edges. Hopefully it all gets solved soon, if it hasn't already.

BobHoward posted:

One of these days I need to sit down and try the Linux path to see how well I can get Vivado to run, if at all. (I, too, am cursed with needing to run it.)

Sorry and good luck! Appreciate the info.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Made a jokey post about this way back when you or someone else asked, but basically, plug in an x86 compute stick and RDP into it. Not sure that'll actually be possible (Mac USB port power wise), and won't be that fast...but have to imagine it'll be way better than emulating everything.

Or Steam Deck :v:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Hmm so I got an email from apple about payment for my pending order, but when I login to my order status, everything seems ok??

Uh, I would triple check that it’s a legit email from Apple and not a phishing email. The scammers send a ton out around the time the iPhone gets released.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FCKGW posted:

Uh, I would triple check that it’s a legit email from Apple and not a phishing email. The scammers send a ton out around the time the iPhone gets released.

Good thought but no, it was legit.

Order status is processing and says “We have everything necessary to complete your order. We’ll update your delivery date when your order is preparing to ship.”

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 25, 2021

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Tenacious J posted:

I think all your points are valid, but the thing is there’s likely a huge number of potential AAA game players who aren’t “serious” about it. Even the questions about using the M1 for gaming, as well as iGPUs in general, have been asked more and more often, which must reflect some demand. Isn’t the Steam Deck an iGPU?
the steam deck is $400, very likely not someone’s only outlet, (theoretically) runs games you’ve already bought on steam, and above all else isn’t out and nobody knows if valve’s gamble will pay off. on the technical side, it is an AMD APU that seems solid enough AFAIK? it’s pushing a lot fewer pixels than the mbp, but i’d keep expectations modest.
not saying there’s NO demand, obviously there is, but people underestimate how a) expensive games are and b) how risk averse major publishers have become. the idea that there are enough people with M1 pro/max model MBPs who are willing to spend $60+ regularly enough and in high enough numbers to make the financials make sense is one that companies aren’t rushing to test.

BobHoward posted:

Same can be said for the M1 Pro and Max GPUs. Even the plain M1 GPU is quite good.

Sooner or later people are going to have to unlearn the decades of Intel-induced disdain for integrated GPUs. There's no fundamental engineering problem preventing an iGPU from being good.
physical size and standardization are barriers for companies like intel and amd when it comes to designing cpus. for purpose-built designs, there’s obviously a lot more flexibility since the product is being designed as a whole rather than as a part that needs to fit into someone else’s product that they don’t make.
the M1’s gpu is good for things like efficiency and cost compared to competition, in terms of raw power it’s equivalent to a 5 year old GPU that was low midrange when it was released.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BobHoward posted:

Same can be said for the M1 Pro and Max GPUs. Even the plain M1 GPU is quite good.

Sooner or later people are going to have to unlearn the decades of Intel-induced disdain for integrated GPUs. There's no fundamental engineering problem preventing an iGPU from being good.

I think it is a lot more complex than that. Intel tried going big with GPUs starting around Broadwell in 2015, there were configurations with the Iris Pro graphics and L4 cache to feed them. They weren't popular, it seemed like the market wasn't willing to pay more money for better iGPUs, and they've scaled back the % of die space that's GPU in favor of more cores since then.

Look at die shots of sandy bridge / ivy bridge / haswell / broadwell and you'll see an Intel that is massively growing GPU area, they could have continued that and instead they stopped because it didn't make sense.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I think it is a lot more complex than that. Intel tried going big with GPUs starting around Broadwell in 2015, there were configurations with the Iris Pro graphics and L4 cache to feed them. They weren't popular, it seemed like the market wasn't willing to pay more money for better iGPUs, and they've scaled back the % of die space that's GPU in favor of more cores since then.

Look at die shots of sandy bridge / ivy bridge / haswell / broadwell and you'll see an Intel that is massively growing GPU area, they could have continued that and instead they stopped because it didn't make sense.

makes sense now

isn’t Xe integrated basically a return to this strategy?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Twerk from Home posted:

Apple was the customer which pushed Intel to make Iris Pro.

I disagree that it didn't make sense to go further. It did, but Intel management has a long history of undermining everything which isn't x86. It's a tech monopolist thing, the same kind of phenomenon as how Microsoft, for a very long time, couldn't do anything which wasn't Windows or Office because those divisions habitually torpedoed every other division which had even a remote chance of someday growing to rival Windows or Office.

Consider this: Intel has a Xe dGPU set to ship sometime in 2022. Industry scuttlebutt is that the Intel graphics division has wanted to try to compete against AMD and Nvidia dGPUs for a very, very long time, but management never greenlit it till now. That makes no sense, and doing it now feels like much too little 20 years too late, but here we are.

Their iGPU strategy was only slightly less bad. It just comes down to Intel coasting on being the dominant half of the x86 duopoly. As long as the entire PC market absolutely required x86, and as long as AMD was unable to seriously compete with Intel's x86 CPU cores, Intel management could get away with half-assing their iGPUs. What was Dell going to do, stop buying Intel? Hahahaha.

But Apple had choices Dell didn't...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm enjoying every minute of both amd and apple clowning on intel. They sat on their hands and did bare minimum for so long.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I still remember from the 90s "Acorn Archimedes? Too bad nobody is buying this, the ARM CPU in it has a really interesting architecture, guess it won't survive then"...

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Excited for the first round of m1 pro/max reviews to come out. I've been eyeing a macbook for years now to match my iphone/ipad(s) but never wanted to make the leap because I'm tied via software to windows. The specs look great on paper and if virtualization/arm software compatability keeps on an upward trend I might finally pull the trigger.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I am going to buy the new M1 MBA. I’ve had Macs in the past that have crawled when trying to screen share and have video conferencing going in the background. But I’m also on a budget.

Will one of these with only 8GB of RAM be able to handle that basics of web browsing and video conferencing?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...ff7541d0f82316a

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dexter6 posted:

I am going to buy the new M1 MBA. I’ve had Macs in the past that have crawled when trying to screen share and have video conferencing going in the background. But I’m also on a budget.

Will one of these with only 8GB of RAM be able to handle that basics of web browsing and video conferencing?

any chance you can stretch the budget to accommodate 16gb? Maybe by buying on the Education Store (they’re not checking for ID anymore) instead of refurb?

If your goal is to have the computer last you several years without chugging or pushing you to replace it then 16gb will make it much more future-proof, and able to put up with screen share/video chat poo poo while still doing other stuff snappily.

Like 8gb will probably do it well enough now, but 16gb means that it’ll probably do it well enough 4-5 years from now or more.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is AI the name that shows up on UPS waybills for Apple shipments? Presumably yes given timing of shipping of new hardware and reports of other orders showing up in UPS’ system despite still saying “preparing to ship” on the Store site.

E: NVM, yeah it is. Just got the ship email from fruit company.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 25, 2021

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

dexter6 posted:

It doesn't sound like you need a lot of fancy stuff so I'd get the base model myself, and rather sell and buy a new laptop if you in a few years realise that you need more RAM. Base models are easy to sell, and hold their value relatively better (in my limited experience) than "special" models.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd agree with the 8/16 discussion. 8 should be very usable but you might hit swap now and then depending on what you're up to. 16 should be more futureproof. I'll be honest though, I haven't thought about RAM in ages. Completely anecdotally, I'm pretty sure I hit swap with 16 all the time with how much stuff I do on my Macs and I'd be lying if I said it made much of a difference in my workflow. Every now and then it'll probably hiccup and maybe I'll be all "man what is up, I'll just reboot" maybe once every sixty days or something, and then proceed never to think about it for two more months,. If that's my experience with 16 then assuming you're using it for base tasks you will PROBABLY be fine with 8. Maybe you'll see it chug every now and then more often if you have a hundred tabs open, or if Zoom is being a hog or something, but a reboot will fix it and these bad boys boot quick.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It wouldn't be the end of the world but I wouldn't buy anything with 8GB except for a low-end or casual user.

Between two browsers, Zoom meetings, Outlook, an Electron App or two, I'm knocking on the door for 6.5-7GB non-cached pretty much all the time.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'd have zero concerns about 8GB for pretty much any workload that doesn't need VMs somehow (docker desktop on Mac, I'm looking at you). There's a difference between applications taking space if it's available vs truly needing it.

These SSDs are so fast swapping is barely noticeable anyway.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
For what it’s worth my wife is very much a non-power user and we have traditionally gotten her the cheapest available Mac. 11” Air, 12” Macbook 1st-gen, etc. And she always ends up needing to replace them after 3-4 years because they bog down.

This year we got her an Air w the not-binned chip and 16GB of RAM to make sure she’s relatively future-proofed.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
How angry is a modern Mac going to be about an external bluetooth radio?

My 18 MBP has gone from, "annoying hiccups 5x a day for a few seconds" to "AirPods Max and Powerbeats Pro just disconnect for no reason," to, "my MX Vertical won't pair or work unless its plugged in" to "bluetooth is inoperable" in the span of 5 weeks.

I guess the better question is, is there one that is USB that supports all the modern accoutrement that will play nice with macOS

11.6, reinstalled to try and fix this issue a few weeks ago.

While it'd suck to permanently tether this thing, I have a m1 and an iPad, I just prefer my 15" murder weapon as long as bluetooth plays nice between all devices!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So, according to iJustine's unboxing:

- the USB-C cable that comes with the new mMBPs is braided (cool!)

- you get two BLACK Apple stickers with your mMBP

- MacBook Pro logo seems to be etched / embossed on the bottom case

- the 96W USB-C adapter is still square, the 140W USB-C adapter is rectangular

- the silver color is akin to the 'old school' Apple laptops

- the first time she has ever cried during an unboxing

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Binary Badger posted:

- the first time she has ever cried during an unboxing

lmao

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Binary Badger posted:

The first time she has ever cried during an unboxing

New thread title lmfao

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Mine shipped! Should be here tomorrow

Can’t wait to cry while unboxing

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Anandtech hits the technical nitty gritty on the M1 Pro and Max.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17024/apple-m1-max-performance-review

This thing is a monster. Mine will be here tomorrow as well. I'm ready to see what this M1 Max can do.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Did it immediately power-on (and bong) when she opened it?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

kefkafloyd posted:

Anandtech hits the technical nitty gritty on the M1 Pro and Max.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17024/apple-m1-max-performance-review

This thing is a monster. Mine will be here tomorrow as well. I'm ready to see what this M1 Max can do.

The M1 Max tops out at about 243GB/s of memory bandwidth , so if you are doing pure cpu work the Max isn't that much faster than the Pro. So I feel better about my purchase.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Here I am still dailying a 2009 mbp17

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I got the 10 CPU / 14 GPU Pro and I keep wondering if I made the right choice going with the binned GPU but really the most demanding thing I do is run 2 external monitors. I don’t really work with graphics or video at all (developer) so my compile times should fly and the fan shouldn’t go on like a jet whenever I start Zoom and I think I’ll be happy. I daily’d an M1 Mini for a couple of months this year and was happy so this should top that nicely.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Data Graham posted:

Did it immediately power-on (and bong) when she opened it?

that's approximately when the crying started

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhqCC70ZfDM
:stare: The Max is an absolute monster.

Edit for GPU:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Binary Badger posted:

that's approximately when the crying started

I mean, :same:

gregday
May 23, 2003

What happens with the notch and menubar for those of us who like to crank the resolution way up and have a tiny menubar?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

gregday posted:

What happens with the notch and menubar for those of us who like to crank the resolution way up and have a tiny menubar?

I would imagine menu bar size and scale/resolution are now independent

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
These reviews not doing a good job mentioning if these graphs etc have the 16" in high power mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Hello video editor friends
For those of you moving to the new machines, how are you changing your workflow? Like are we going back to transcoding everything to ProRes again because of our fancy silicon? I was just handed a mess of MXFs and don't want to jump the gun with my 16'' arriving tomorrow.