Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I have zero biological expertise, but I am struck by how much the "it's a bioweapon" crowd overlaps with the "we shouldn't do anything to try to stop it crowd." Seems like opposite positions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Best Friends posted:

I have zero biological expertise, but I am struck by how much the "it's a bioweapon" crowd overlaps with the "we shouldn't do anything to try to stop it crowd." Seems like opposite positions!

We could bomb China. I’m sure they’d vote for that.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

I can guarantee this is not the message the megachurches are offering.

Ex: Joel Osteen closing church doors to people looking for shelter after hurricane Harvey’s flooding in Houston.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/joel-osteen-faces-criticism-social-media-closing-houston/story?id=49480146

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ehh, not the same, really. I bet whoever said it meant like, "liberal indoctrination of our youth through universities to worship the works of Darwin believe anything that in any way challenges my desire to hold absolute dominion over them until I die"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

boop the snoot posted:

Taking Jesus out of society is on the list so you’re basically just repeating the list in sentence form here.

Taking Jesus out of society has been their goal for decades and they've pretty much succeeded

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Icon Of Sin posted:

Ex: Joel Osteen closing church doors to people looking for shelter after hurricane Harvey’s flooding in Houston.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/joel-osteen-faces-criticism-social-media-closing-houston/story?id=49480146

Send them cubes, free with any donation! (suggested donations start at $50) https://www.joelosteen.com/MonthlyOffer/the-inspiration-cube

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So for anyone who has read Dune are the books as boring and pretentious as the new movie?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So for anyone who has read Dune are the books as boring and pretentious as the new movie?

My opinion is yes, but it's an unpopular opinion. Lots of people absolutely love the book. I just couldn't get into it (and I love LotR so take that as you will).

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Dune is a sci fi rendition of a crusader Kings game played on acid after skimming cliff notes of the quran and having a nightmare about worms, and that's the sort of thing that either sounds great or sounds awful imo.

There's not a lot of stuff in pop culture that's just relentlessly weird and I love it for that as much as anything.

Like most sci fi, imo the sequels get increasingly bad.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I happened to read about as much of the first book as they covered in the movie right before it came out and wasn't impressed. Worlds were interesting, characters weren't. I think I liked the movie better than the book.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I somehow got just past Bombadil out of forewarning that he sucked, and then I quit after Bombadil because the rest was also boring.

Liked those movies though, good job Peter!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The 1st Dune book is def worth a read if you like SciFi. You'll figure out pretty quick if its for you or not.

The 2nd book is a big dropoff but still kind of interesting. After that I pretend that they never existed and no one should read that garbage imo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I really liked Dune and got through like 3 of them pretty happily but also that was about 21-23 years ago, so my memory is beyond hazy.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dune is good because it gave us the Dune 2 RTS which gave us Command and Conquer which gave us both Kane and Tim Curry as an insane Soviet premier.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Megachurches exist because:
1: Massive tax evasion.
2: To tell rich/well off white people that god wants them to be well off, and those that aren’t are in that situation because of their own choices.

They entirely exist to help assuage white guilt and dodge taxes.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

2: To tell rich/well off white people that god wants them to be well off, and those that aren’t are in that situation because of their own choices.

1 is absolutely true, but I'd strike white from 2. Korean and West African Megachurches are also all about the Prosperity Gospel.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I got the J&J vaccine in April, only had some minor aches and joint pains,nothing some Advil couldn't take care of. I'm getting the Moderna booster Wednesday, should I expect it to kick my rear end?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Basticle posted:

I got the J&J vaccine in April, only had some minor aches and joint pains,nothing some Advil couldn't take care of. I'm getting the Moderna booster Wednesday, should I expect it to kick my rear end?

There's too many factors to predict it well, ie individual genetic based responses, if you had prior exposure to covid (known or not) etc. I would just plan for it kicking your rear end and take the day off if you can.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Plan as if you won't be capable of doing anything the following day. You'll probably be fine but don't schedule a court date with that assumption.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Basticle posted:

My booster experience with Spikevax is that the booster isn't as bad as dose #2. For #2 I started feeling really crappy the day after the shot and had fevers sporadically for the next 24 hours or so, and then the third night after the shot woke up drenched in sweat. I had body/joint aches for a few days after.

For booster I started feeling crappy next day again, but only had one mild fever that broke that night. However, I still felt crappy the next day, and today I have some mild joint pain and still feel a bit rundown.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I recently re read Dune. I had previously read it way back in high school and didn’t remember much of it. I feel like Dune was actually an incredibly well written and conceived novel. The universe, cultures, science, history, everything really is steeped in loads of depth and lore. The prose itself is often beautiful, palpable, the descriptions truly textural. I was swept up and lost in that universe all the way till the end.

Now, the story itself as compared to the movies, is quite different. LIGHT SPOILERS in case you are going to read the book/ see the new movie:

I have to say the novel’s story was incredibly surprising. I grew up watching David Lynch’s dune and thought that was canon and that the book would match it. gently caress was I wrong. After reading the novel there are three extremely important functions of the written story that David Lynch just.. inextricably left out completely. One, the fact that the Fremen were so receptive to embracing Jessica and Paul and holding Paul up as the Madhi (messiah) was almost entirely due to a hundred years worth of the Bene Gesserit’s “missionaria protectiva” going to dune and spreading fake stories about “the arrival of a reverend mother and son”. This is done by the bene gesserit on nearly every planet as a means to lay the groundwork for the rare chance that if, at some point in the future, a bene gesserit witch finds herself stuck on that planet, she will be seen as fulfilling some old prophecy and thus protected. The prophecies are just bene gesserit tricks, but develop into a deeply rooted faith on the planets they do this on. And in the end, it was this bunch of fake prophecies propagated among the fremen a century ago that become the sole reason Paul and Jessica were ultimately taken in by the fremen and raised up as messiah and mother as they were. Paul and Jessica both know this, and for Paul, his internal struggles are legit. He knows this whole thing is a sham, but be he has to exploit it to survive. This is one of the most important parts of the entire story and was completely left out of the old movie.

Two, Dune’s discussion on agriculture and planetary stewardship. Truly one of the more beautiful and poignant parts of the novel. The fremen were taught by a certain character to be stewards over Dune. The fremen studied how the planet’s native life cycles all work together, and began using that knowledge to shift dune’s ecology towards supporting plant life, with water cycles, etc. This is what they want, a planet where food grows readily and water is not so scarce. It’s awesome that they go about this by treating the planet as a a faithful ally and partner. It is not forced terraforming, rather the agricultural philosophy of balance, that they seek to use. Frank Herbert wrote about all this in the book as a statement on how in the late 1950’s it was already quite clear that humans were destroying their own planet instead of learning how to live and utilize its resources in a balanced manner. The fremen are portrayed as an extremely intelligent, selfless, culture that plans generations ahead for their grandkid’s grandkids, and they appreciate their planet for what it can and cannot give. The old movie did not even come close to portraying the fremen in this light. Rather, they were just.. helpless native warriors.

Three, Paul is not Luke Skywalker. David Lynch wrote Paul as just a Luke Skywalker, a kid who’s latent force abilities suddenly wake up and make him a hero. No loving way. In reality, Paul is a 15 year old kid, albeit incredibly talented in both thought and sword, but a kid nonetheless. He finds himself trapped by a centuries long bene gesserit genetic plot who’s goal was to make a supreme human whose mind can bridge space and time and see the future of both their reality and all neighboring multiverse realities. An undefeatable all knowing next step in human evolution. This is a lot to take in for a teenager. And as the rich spice of the desert awakens these abilities in Paul, he sees the future that his actions take him towards. It’s one of a massive universe-wide jihad of destruction, in his messianic name. He hates this. But realized there’s no other way forward. As his story continues near the end of Dune and into Dune Messiah, he becomes legitimately the most characteristically anti-hero hero ever written.

The book is phenomenal and it deserves the following it has. David Lynch’s dune is a loving mess that is so inaccurate and disingenuous to the original work that it hurts. I feel like it’s actually done a great disservice to the original novel. In contrast, however, is the new 2021 Dune movie. Which is so true to the novel that at a few points I was just flat blown away at how many of even the smallest details were included. It leaves some scenes out, for run-time’s sake, sure, but overall it is as faithful a retelling of the novel as we will probably ever see. It’s beautiful, awesome as hell, and epic.

Anyways sorry for the rant. But I think calling Dune boring or even mediocre is selling it extremely short.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Anyways sorry for the rant. But I think calling Dune boring or even mediocre is selling it extremely short.

100% agree with all of this, the new movie is absolutely great and blows the old Dune attempts completely out of the water.

First movie I've seen in a theatre since before the pandemic, totally worth it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh for sure. When I was younger/dumber I was at a megachurch for a while. Something else that is a big factor especially for young people is pre-existing social groups that are easy to get plugged into. Boom, you go from empty social calendar to having plenty of stuff to do with people with similar worldviews.

To add to your second point that is accurate, we had one mansion dwelling woman who was a fan of predestination through Calvinism. Clearly the structure of the universe was set up to make sure that in addition to you being in extreme comfort since birth you are guaranteed to be in paradise down the road. When I asked why a loving deity would opt for a model that sends billions to eternal torture and it is impossible for them to do anything about it, got a blank look and was advised that it adds to God's glory.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I don't know who Butler is but I'm ready for his jihad.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Florida continues to Florida:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1451939504294711299

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Blind Rasputin posted:

The book is phenomenal and it deserves the following it has. David Lynch’s dune is a loving mess that is so inaccurate and disingenuous to the original work that it hurts. I feel like it’s actually done a great disservice to the original novel. In contrast, however, is the new 2021 Dune movie. Which is so true to the novel that at a few points I was just flat blown away at how many of even the smallest details were included. It leaves some scenes out, for run-time’s sake, sure, but overall it is as faithful a retelling of the novel as we will probably ever see. It’s beautiful, awesome as hell, and epic.

Some review of a David Lynch movie like 20 years ago stuck with me - I think it was for Lost Highways. The reviewer said "David Lynch wants to get inside your head. He doesn't much care what he does when he's in there." I tend to agree with that - I think Lynch movies, including Dune, tend to be mostly about a vibe. From that POV I think the Lynch Dune is great, he really captures the vibe from the book of a decaying aristocracy and a society that looks human on its face but is deeply weird underneath. It's just that, yeah, he doesn't meaningfully engage with any of the actual themes of the book at all.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Midjack posted:

I don't know who Butler is but I'm ready for his jihad.

As soon as the movie ended my wife, in a full theater still quietly in the afterglow of awesomeness, loudly bemoanes, “Bene Gessewhat??” I lolled. My wife is rad.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Y'all are just making me more and more glad I've purposefully ignored everything I've ever seen or heard about Dune. Sounds annoying as hell to find entertainment value out of. I guess if you're looking for something with meaning behind it, that's cool. I like my sci-fi to be something that allows me to shut my brain off.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nah just go for it, the world building in the novel is fantastic right out of the gate and only gets better as it continues you can absolutely just spend a long afternoon just going on the weird ride through Herbert's atmospherics

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

Y'all are just making me more and more glad I've purposefully ignored everything I've ever seen or heard about Dune. Sounds annoying as hell to find entertainment value out of. I guess if you're looking for something with meaning behind it, that's cool. I like my sci-fi to be something that allows me to shut my brain off.

Perfect post/username combo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Guess who's a shoe-in for next surgeon general

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I've only read the first one, and to my mind the writing style really hasn't aged very gracefully. Lots of Disney movie villain dialogue like "Yes, it is I, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, who came up with this devious plan!" which presumably sounded a lot less cringey back when the first novel came out in the 60's.

That said, I still think the setting is really cool, with these interstellar feudal houses warring over a resource that can only be found in this one particular place in the universe. I also wasted a lot of time playing the Dune II RTS back in the 90's.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

why do you guys keep misspelling ↃU∩C

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I've read all the Herbert series (and more) and the new film is mega good and the only issues you'll have are if you're a bad brain haverer or such a nerd you question things being left out that nobody should care about

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/c0mmunicants/status/1452033649843453953

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

My booster experience with Spikevax is that the booster isn't as bad as dose #2. For #2 I started feeling really crappy the day after the shot and had fevers sporadically for the next 24 hours or so, and then the third night after the shot woke up drenched in sweat. I had body/joint aches for a few days after.

For booster I started feeling crappy next day again, but only had one mild fever that broke that night. However, I still felt crappy the next day, and today I have some mild joint pain and still feel a bit rundown.

Tracking with my mom's Moderna booster experience. She got it at 3PM Friday, was fine the whole night (and refused to take Tylenol/ibuprofen like I told her to), then got flattened all day Saturday. She only took Tylenol at 9:30 because she slept all day, but called it half as bad as the second shot. By Sunday morning she was rearranging her house.

So generally, it's a good idea to get COVID shots on a Friday and expect at least a day or two of flattening. Have Tylenol and Advil/Motrin ready to go and take that poo poo at the first sign of side effects starting.

Edit: mom's 100% again, so a day of exhaustion, a day of a little iffy, then like nothing ever happened

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 25, 2021

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/QR3UFV_LhWI

This guy's pretty good about being an actual rational prepper. His last 5 videos have been about the supply chain issues we're dealing with. They're worth a watch.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I appreciate all the info and opinions on Dune, I just couldn’t make myself care about the movie. It’s just kind of felt like it was trying to scream look how important this is and it’s not.

Funny enough you guys mention world building, I’ve actually enjoyed reading lore books or dumps, or encyclopedias about fictional worlds, sometimes more then reading the main text or playing the game.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Y'all are ignoring my favourite Dune adaptation

https://youtu.be/OtG5bXF0DZM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/rayyago/status/1451542667490328584

https://twitter.com/AugustJPollak/status/1451379917137096727?s=20

That Works fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 25, 2021