Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

There's similar stuff for things like the FFC, some say it can't keep up with the iPhone 13 and others say it's superior.

I think that's a sign that things are so close that we're seeing differences in testing methodology.

I absolutely think it's this. The tech is so so similar, and how it gets tested matters a lot more. It helps to compare reviews from the same site/person that use the identical methodology but that's almost impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Battery life reviews seem to be either "it's excellent" or "it's subpar". I'm going to chalk this up to typical pixel launch bugginess tbh. As well as different testing scenarios.

One of the articles says "battery life sucks" then said how he ended the day with 35% after: using it away from wifi all day, taking a bunch photos, navigating with GPS and playing games on full brightness. I don't get it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

One of the articles says "battery life sucks" then said how he ended the day with 35% after: using it away from wifi all day, taking a bunch photos, navigating with GPS and playing games on full brightness. I don't get it.

~*~phone reviewers~*~

Their written review is solid and makes me super super excited https://9to5google.com/2021/10/25/google-pixel-6-pro-review/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol meanwhile in the rest of Android world today: https://www.androidpolice.com/sonys-sequel-to-its-2500-xperia-pro-is-meant-for-vloggers-i-guess/

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Has any reviews started whether the 3.5mm usb c can be just an adapter or needs to be a DAC? I have a bunch of non DAC adapters for the OnePlus 7 pro and I hope I won't need new ones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Almost certainly going to need a DAC. Only OnePlus phones have had analog audio out via adapter.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why does the regular Pixel 6 have longer battery life than the Pro? Screen refresh rate?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Crap anyone got any recommendations? I'll have to buy 3 of them (one for the car, one for the bag, one at my desk)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Why does the regular Pixel 6 have longer battery life than the Pro? Screen refresh rate?

Yup I would bet money that's it. And their tests would mean it's running at 120hz, not the adaptive scaled down refresh. So their tests would show lower battery life than real world usage as it's running at 120hz constantly.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

lostleaf posted:

Crap anyone got any recommendations? I'll have to buy 3 of them (one for the car, one for the bag, one at my desk)

The Apple one is supposed to be good, and only like $9.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

Size, refresh rate, resolution, brightness.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Man, y'all are killing me with shipping notifications. E-mail shows 27-28 arrival, but order changed to 28-29 at some point. This is for an unlocked black 512 pro, for reference.

Probably looking at 28, though, if it ships from the same location as the buds. Those shipped the 20th and arrived the 22nd. So as long as it ships Wednesday, should have it in time for the weekend to play with it and set it up.

And to someone else's point, the "cancel order" button is gone from the status, so hopefully it's moving along in the system.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Size, refresh rate, resolution, brightness.

It's why we need better and standardized testing methodologies!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What is their video rundown test? They play a video until the battery dies? If that's the case, a 17% difference isn't going to make me return the Pro for a regular.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oh dang, TMo is offering $450 for a P4XL, now its extremely tempting to get this new one.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Does the fingerprint reader only work with the screen on? One reviewer mentioned it on YouTube but no one else did?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

What is their video rundown test? They play a video until the battery dies? If that's the case, a 17% difference isn't going to make me return the Pro for a regular.

I was trying to find that info. I think it is, looking at their other reviews. Which means 120hz mode and likely higher brightness, too.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does the fingerprint reader only work with the screen on? One reviewer mentioned it on YouTube but no one else did?

Looks like it does require screen on first, currently.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oh dang, TMo is offering $450 for a P4XL, now its extremely tempting to get this new one.

If you are Magenta Max they will give you $900 which is bonkers, friend on my family plan is taking advantage of this and swapping 4a 5G for a 6 Pro straight across.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Just got my spigen case in the mail today... Looks like I bought the case for the 6 but I pre-ordered the pro

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WattsvilleBlues posted:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Looks like it does require screen on first, currently.

That is a real disappointment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That's only an issue if you keep AoD off.

So that's the difference and it's really no different than anyone else operates.

Also, pretty much all of these things wake up when you pick them up anyways.

Mine shipped, woohoo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That's only an issue if you keep AoD off.

So that's the difference and it's really no different than anyone else operates.

Also, pretty much all of these things wake up when you pick them up anyways.

Mine shipped, woohoo.

Wait, so if AOD is on, do you have to hit the wake button first? I couldn't figure that out from reviews.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I mean the Pixel 6 Pro has a full 1000 mah more then the Pixel 5, and I still get a full day out of the 5 easily.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait, so if AOD is on, do you have to hit the wake button first? I couldn't figure that out from reviews.

From the review I saw, aod let's you just press your finger and it unlocks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nope, you don't.

https://youtu.be/8CvgWqbv6F4

Look at 56 second time mark, he wakes it from the AoD by just hitting the fingerprint.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^ thanks!

Tagichatn posted:

From the review I saw, aod let's you just press your finger and it unlocks.

Oh poo poo that's awesome then. Never mind, I'm not annoyed anymore!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Psyched to see what GrapheneOS will be able to do with battery life once they get one. Also having 5 years of updates is great for everyone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My biggest concern is the optical sensor use at night time. I hate that blinding flash.

Wife should receive hers in about five hours. Mine is inexplicably maybe a full day behind of course (only ordered separately to ensure two store credits). Luckily she knows I care roughly 1000x more about phones and said I can have the first one.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yeah it's crazy, wife is trying to decide if it's worth having a too big phone to trade in a 4a for $450 on a normal 6

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1452707294609805314

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No Verge review today because Dieter got into a bike accident Friday night (seems to be ok) but the accident cracked the 6 Pro.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's unreal.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Have any reviews talked about the quality of the speakers on the 6 Pro? Gsmarena usually has stuff on that but their review isn't up yet, I listen to podcasts a lot that's why I'm curious.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Have any reviews talked about the quality of the speakers on the 6 Pro? Gsmarena usually has stuff on that but their review isn't up yet, I listen to podcasts a lot that's why I'm curious.

The reviews I've seen say they're pretty good. Huge upgrade over the Pixel 5.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I always wonder why hardly anyone talks about call quality on the earpiece anymore :(

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

sourdough posted:

Yeah it's crazy, wife is trying to decide if it's worth having a too big phone to trade in a 4a for $450 on a normal 6

hehe. 450 makes the 6 so cheap! But it makes the pro cheap(ish)! But the pro is huge! But the pro's rf and telephoto!
I may never decide what to do.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

The reviews I've seen say they're pretty good. Huge upgrade over the Pixel 5.

I mean, the Pixel 5 was a huge downgrade from just about every Pixel and Nexus before it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Incessant Excess posted:

I read the 6 are pretty good and the 6 Pro are a bit worse. Nothing more specific than that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FogHelmut posted:

I mean, the Pixel 5 was a huge downgrade from just about every Pixel and Nexus before it.

I've quite appreciated my 5 compared with the 3 I had before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

True. The 6 sounds back to normal/good, with the speakers.