Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

The arena cult building seems like it would be incredibly finicky to use properly, in a very un-Khorne-like way. You'd either need to keep Skarbrand as a reserve when you're building one or have a well planned timetable for fighting to prevent him from getting teleported off the front lines at a very inopportune time like just as an enemy counterattack shows up. Likewise, it's possible to end up separating Skarbrand's army from the rest of your line only to get ganked if the enemy decided to choose that settlement to mass their forces around while the construction is in progress.

The only use case that I see that isn't a bigger danger to the player than the target would be a early-mid game naval invasion where there's guaranteed downtime anyway so skarbrand can do some replenishment/recruiting new troops/farming rebels etc and teleport at the end instead of sailing manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

this has the potential to be so annoying if the AI can do it at all. I like it.

I would be more worried about the teleporting one as with the mechanics it would be easy for a Khorne faction to level an entire province in just a single turn.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Honestly the fact that Khorne's core mechanic is "spawn freespawn stack, they wander off and if they win somewhere they spawn another stack" like some kind of contagious Fightman Plague absolutely rules.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lt. Lizard posted:

AI army not being able to move for several turns to raze one of your settlements sounds like a dream come true, actually. :v:
Agreed 100%.

Asehujiko posted:

The arena cult building seems like it would be incredibly finicky to use properly, in a very un-Khorne-like way. You'd either need to keep Skarbrand as a reserve when you're building one or have a well planned timetable for fighting to prevent him from getting teleported off the front lines at a very inopportune time like just as an enemy counterattack shows up. Likewise, it's possible to end up separating Skarbrand's army from the rest of your line only to get ganked if the enemy decided to choose that settlement to mass their forces around while the construction is in progress.

The only use case that I see that isn't a bigger danger to the player than the target would be a early-mid game naval invasion where there's guaranteed downtime anyway so skarbrand can do some replenishment/recruiting new troops/farming rebels etc and teleport at the end instead of sailing manually.
Why does "build building to get an army to teleport here" sound finicky? It sounds really straight forward to me in that you build it when you want to do that?

edit: I imagine that having the cult not-undercity gives you vision over the area so you can cancel the construction if you decide you dont want Skarbrand's army teleporting there or see something that would make you want to change your mind.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 25, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

Honestly the fact that Khorne's core mechanic is "spawn freespawn stack, they wander off and if they win somewhere they spawn another stack" like some kind of contagious Fightman Plague absolutely rules.

It's like Hellebron's blood voyage on steroids combined with Vermintide. It's great. Also I love to see CA realize that fighting is almost always better than not fighting so giving Khorne a "gently caress it, fight something now" button is pretty great.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Ravenfood posted:

It's like Hellebron's blood voyage on steroids combined with Vermintide. It's great. Also I love to see CA realize that fighting is almost always better than not fighting so giving Khorne a "gently caress it, fight something now" button is pretty great.

That cracked me up. Only Khorne followers would be nuts enough to summon an army of demons to attack themselves.

Greenskins look like pacifist hippies by comparison.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Khorne mechanics rule, it's like Taurox on steroids. You want war? Here's a world kill speedrun campaign, nerd.

CA is doing a heroic amount of content considering it would've been acceptable to get a WoC rework with four handfuls of elite units and demons. I think TWWH3 is up to at least two TWWH2s worth of new mechanics and you'll still see grognards weeping on reddit about Tzeentch Chaos Warriors painted blue. More great game for me. :D

Cripes, we haven't even gotten a hint about Nurgle and Slaanesh yet, let alone Ogres.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

JBP posted:

Also having dogs and bats available is important because they can basically turn off any arty units that are likely to cause you grief at long range and the AI won't have a fighting unit covering them most of the time. They're also good for harassing ranged units so your guys get up to them without wearing much ranged damage.

Despite what others mentioned, this is the real truth. You can go full skelly once your lords/necros are leveled up enough and you have enough winds that Lore of Vampires goes brrr, but even then, you want skirmishers to tie up critical units since you'll be slow and blobby most of the time. Early game I always have at least 2 of dogs or bats, and ghouls can be useful for flanking and getting those early breaks going. Eventually you'll get access to better versions like ghosts and flying uglies, and you'll want some to deal with certain specific factions or configurations. You should also be using your LLs with their unique items on your main pushes, they produce dumb amounts of vamp corruption, combined with whichever bloodkiss line gets you untainted immunity.

VCounts are one of the more important factions to make sure you have some farming sources - I find the minor Skaven faction directly south of Vlad/Mann to be excellent for this since most factions won't bother trying to work their way up to them. You NEED your lords/heroes to be pumping out magic, it is the lynchpin of the faction. Once you got your free skellies online you can also start trying to build up a Lore Keeper stack as you fish for knowledgeable heroes/lords. You can reach the point of free buildings and if you stack it with necros for the income boost passive, it makes an excellent backline team that can single turn make a stack via raise dead to smack down anyone who gets through one of your fronts while making your ability to build up recently taken territory and then retreat into your richer areas to keep money flowing. This is mostly a mid-game strategy, one you start moving into the real end game money should no longer be an issue, but it can be nice when you take a high level province and need to change out every building because the AI does dumb poo poo/the replacement slots aren't there for the faction incompatibility.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

look at this guy

i think he might do it

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Serephina posted:

Is chaos still rampaging downwards into other realms, and are all your provinces suffering from chaos corruption do the ongoing event? He'll be wounded for only a few turns before heading up another stack, keep killing chaos stuff. Chaos event over? (or never begun?) He's wounded, no worries.

If you can't find him, just keep killing other chaos forces. He won't stay wounded if chaos is still rampaging, so they're basically the same objective.

Hmm I don't know if it's ramping up but they eliminated Kislev and have few full stacks in the Vampire Counts area. I was dwarfs and ignored the vampire counts somehow they have been in constant war with 3-4 factions and still survived. Like Northern eastern part of the map has been almost all razed minus chaos worshipping tribes. Do warriors of chaos not attack the counts? I am not sure how they are surviving Empire + Dwarfs+ Chaos.

ArchRanger posted:

If you click on his name in the objectives list it will move your camera to his current location. If you already beat him once though it's likely that the AI put him in command of one of the Chaos armies that invade Naggarond, so I hope you feel like sailing or waiting for the AI to finish him off.

Ya it moves the camera to a Varg or Norsca dock settlement, I had to move an army there and didn't see poo poo. But I guess I'l try to eliminate the other chaos lords.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Khorne has always been undiscriminating about from where the blood flows, but the bit about Khorne followers happening on someone else’s skulls and going “Hey looks like no one is using these, just ohp gonna scoot over here and… yoink” is both new and funny to me.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I never thought I would say this, but Khorne looks...pretty fun to play?

Well done CA :golfclap:

I like how it's Skarsbrand too: hopefully he has his full dumb fu manchu stache and beard

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Dr Christmas posted:

Khorne has always been undiscriminating about from where the blood flows, but the bit about Khorne followers happening on someone else’s skulls and going “Hey looks like no one is using these, just ohp gonna scoot over here and… yoink” is both new and funny to me.

Pretty much.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Going to assume Slannesh's faction leader is everyone's favorite party wierdo N'Kari?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Khorne is pro having babies because he wants blood and skulls, and a larger population is able to both take and become skulls and blood for his skull- and blood-based economy.

Nurgle could give a gently caress about having babies because he doesn’t really have any grand design for society in any meaningful way he just wants them itchy and sneezy. He does, however, really like the aesthetic of babies.

Slaanesh is vehemently anti-baby because frankly there is just nothing that’s more of a buzzkill than a freaking baby. A baby’s cry will pierce through the loudest Slaaneshi skin-harp so they might be worth looking into for noise marine purposes

Tzeentch isn’t even a part of this conversation, he’s like, he’s all the way on the friggin’ moon. They are confounding, however. People want babies but then they have a baby and loving hate it, then the baby grows up and the parents look back fondly and wish they still had a baby. People don’t want babies, and then they regret not having babies, but also don’t feel bad at all about having money and sleep and space, so.

In conclusion, it seems the Khorne changes are based entirely on fights and not babies at all, but given the paradigm in place (maximizing skulls and blood), the best way to honor Khorne is to have a large, scalable society built around having incredible, unsustainable population growth. So as to avoid being sweet on Nurgle, it needs to be very clean, and so as not to please Tzeentch it needs to be very orderly. And furthermore, to avoid Slaanesh poo poo, it can’t be colorful in any way. So basically Khorne would be Soviet-era communist.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 25, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know very little about 40K and even less about fantasy WH, but they have the same evil gods?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Elder God rules.

The Warp is a rules/multiverse/time defying writers parachute whenever convenient. It's as easy to say Slaanesh always existed because some aspect of Slaanesh would always make sure Slaanesh was created by the Eldar and proliferated backwards through time, space and reality as it is to say I'm an idiot and full of poo poo and this weird offhand interview from years ago contradicts that. Or Slaanesh arose in fantasy as the culmination of the world's horny and depravity but also will later get a big boost after an imprisonment period in AoS. Eh!

But yeah they made four pretty cool set of heavy metal album cover designs for armies and they're mostly consistent throughout Fantasy, AoS and 40k. The real question is how the Horned Rat didn't make the jump to 40k but 40k also threw Dwarves out the window so whatever.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Both settings have four evil gods who dwell in a spooky reality beyond normal space named Khorne, Slaanesh, Nurgle, and Tzeentch. There's no actual canonical proof linking the two settings that isn't 30 years old and ignored by all subsequent material beyond a few wink wink nudge nudge easter eggs, so you can either treat it as just a baseline "this is a thing Warhammer settings have going on" thing or as a "Chaos exists beyond time and space and normal reality so who knows???" thing.

Like the Khorne who you will be building skull piles for in TWW3 doesn't necessarily have to be the same Khorne who encourages space marines to pick up chainsaw axes in 40k.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TulliusCicero posted:

I like how it's Skarsbrand too: hopefully he has his full dumb fu manchu stache and beard

What are you talking about. Skarbrand has never had a mustache.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

What are you talking about. Skarbrand has never had a mustache.

My bad: I was thinking of Doombreed

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Who's excited to play halflings?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So are bloodthirsters just mega angry all the time or what

Do they go after your own units?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So are bloodthirsters just mega angry all the time or what

Do they go after your own units?

Bloodthirsters are absolutely furious all the time, but are smart enough to direct that anger properly.

Except Skarbrand, who got tricked into attacking Khorne himself and got extremely owned for it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Khorne guys generally only fight each other when there are no enemies nearby or they’re really off the deep end. Skarbrand is supposed to have had every bit of personality besides rage squeezed out of him, but there are still lore bits about him making plans and retreating from a duel with Shalaxi Helbane. In the Fracturing of Beil-Tan, he even teams or with the Masque to bust open a sealed webway gate, after she dodges all his attacks and stops registering as a foe to fight long enough for her to talk to him.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Can grimgor krump a bloodthirster

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Is this even a question? Of course Girmgog can krump a bloodthirster.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Lesser (and less beautiful) beings have defeated bloodthirsters

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Bloodthirsters are the Worfs of the setting(s), it would be pretty embrassing if Grimgor couldn't handle one

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

if they were any good they wouldn't be thirsty would they?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

Bloodthirsters are the Worfs of the setting(s), it would be pretty embrassing if Grimgor couldn't handle one

Bloodthirsters are the Worfs of Fantasy, Avatars of Khaine are the Worfs of 40k.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am 100% ok with halflings instead of ogres for DLC.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

I am 100% ok with halflings instead of ogres for DLC.

This would be so loving insane if they did this, cathay, choas, chorfs, and halflings?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The Moot about to become the most powerful settlement on the map.

Khorne mechanics seem cool and good. A co-op Taurox/Skarbrand campaign would be loving hilarious: endless RAAAAAAGE and murder no matter who is doing the thing.

I thought the monogods would be kind of dull, but the mechanics for Tzeentch and Khorne thus far seem super thematic and interesting. I do want to see what they do for Papa Nurgle (aka big papa), because holy poo poo that could be fun. I hope it is like Pestilens plagues on crack, maybe with a bit of the BM herdstone plague fuckery and/or Norsca plague mixed in. I want Nurgle to be the "no, gently caress YOU, you're taking attrition damage you fucks" faction.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Halflings are the final boss for any Daemon campaign.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

They really do seem to be pulling out all the stops.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ogres with halfling auxiliaries.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Half-ogres

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Halflings but their campaign mechanic is cooking mama

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Chad Jihad posted:

I thought that was Brettonia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

I thought that was Brettonia

Nah, Bloodthirsters are absolutely the WHFB Worfs - they're continually sold as the biggest, baddest, strongest combat monsters who live for nothing but battle, but are periodically trotted out to be defeated by someone or something to show how brave/resourceful/lucky/strong those characters are.