Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah to be clear while the 1060 is better it's not a huge step up (and starting to show its age) and you will pay stupid money for it

Good luck out there friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I mean at RRP the 3060ti would be an excellent upgrade for you, it’s just whether you’re willing to put in the hours required to find one at that price. In the US that means best buy for the FE cards iirc.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Canna Happy posted:

How about just leaving the side panel off and putting a small desk fan at it? I wouldn’t spend the cash to re home that pc. You could’ve bought a scalped gpu and came out better.

Not a year ago, and not a 3080.

Side panel off and desk fan is a temp solution. The dust will be insane.

There’s other stuff you could try and do (dremel holes, manually add dust filters, add some more fans etc etc) but that’s a gently caress ton of work and scary for some. Someone who dropped the level of cash required to buy that Alienware (my guess is $3k?) is probably more likely to want to throw cash at the problem rather than elbow grease.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Wow, I thought I knew about PC hardware, turns out I do not. I've never had a water-cooled system before - does that require regular maintenance/is it better than just fans?

I'd appreciate opinions on these systems:

They're sorta the spec/budget I'm going for. I'd consider this INFINITY X109 as well but I really don't want Windows 11.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CoolCab posted:

two kinds - all in ones or AIOs. water gets sealed in at the factory, has the pump and entire loop sealed and in one (thus the name). very easy, comparatively. less risk except in case of catastrophic failure. honestly more like a split level air cooler. won't last forever too, and as soon as any component fails the unit is dead.

then there is a traditional open loop. you install a pump and series of tubes (hard or soft) and a coldplate and a radiator all the bends etc and physically fill the fucker up/drain it. more difficult, more expensive (fixtures are loving expensive) MANY MANY MAGNITUDES MORE RISKY. coolest looking. biggest pain in the rear end by a lot, upkeep sucks.

but more broadly that's the rub; they don't perform much better if at all than high end air coolers unless you are extreme overclocking (and tbh even then). they cost much more and don't last as long, but they look cooler and in theory could be quieter, since you can put more/bigger fans on your rad and more/bigger fans for the same load is quieter, although you introduce pump gurgle.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

nexus6 posted:

Wow, I thought I knew about PC hardware, turns out I do not. I've never had a water-cooled system before - does that require regular maintenance/is it better than just fans?

[list]
3XS Gamer 3070 https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/3xs-gamer-3070-intel

I’d go for the 3XS but with the AMD 5800x rather than the 11700. You can also configure it to have a dark rock air cooler, and get rid of Windows for £100 of savings and then you can just buy a Windows 10 key from Lodge North in SAMart for $15.

Edit: to save even more money you can configure it down to a 5600x which if you’re just gaming is more than enough CPU. Could even take those savings and bump the GPU up to a 3080.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 23, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

nexus6 posted:

They're sorta the spec/budget I'm going for. I'd consider this INFINITY X109 as well but I really don't want Windows 11.

These kinds of All-In-One water coolers are dead simple to use and require no maintenance. They don't even let you maintain it, typically. They fully seal off the loop in most cases (only a handful have fill ports to refill it). This is I assume to prevent users from unscrewing something or loving something up and leaking water all over their PC.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

I’d go for the 3XS but with the AMD 5800x rather than the 11700. You can also configure it to have a dark rock air cooler, and get rid of Windows for £100 of savings and then you can just buy a Windows 10 key from Lodge North in SAMart for $15.

Edit: to save even more money you can configure it down to a 5600x which if you’re just gaming is more than enough CPU. Could even take those savings and bump the GPU up to a 3080.

Wow, that sounds great, thanks! If I bump up the GPU to a 3080, would that require a beefier PSU?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

nexus6 posted:

Wow, that sounds great, thanks! If I bump up the GPU to a 3080, would that require a beefier PSU?

You would want at least the 750W.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

So here's what I'm thinking

Changes made:
  • CPU changed to AMD 5600x
  • Cooler changed to Dark Rock Air Cooler
  • OS removed (I'll order Win 10 key from SAMart)
  • GPU bumped up to 3080 (will require preorder)
  • PSU bumped up to RM750x
  • 2TB HDD for storage added (I have several hard drives in my current PC I intend to add in myself as well)
Sound good? The only thing I'm not sure of is how long before the 3080s become available - I can wait a few weeks but if we're talking 2022 I might just get a 3070 Ti instead.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Sound good? The only thing I'm not sure of is how long before the 3080s become available - I can wait a few weeks but if we're talking 2022 I might just get a 3070 Ti instead.

I would specifically not do that, as their pricing has the 3070 for £600, the 3070ti for £800, and the 3080 for £815. In performance terms the 3070ti is much closer to the 3070 and absolutely isn’t worth the extra £200.

You can also change the case around if you want to save a little/prefer the aesthetics of the other brands. They have the Fractal Design Meshify for example. You lose a fan and RGB but get a better looking case IMO although if you like RGB ymmv.

Final point, I’d switch out the motherboard for a b550 option. The only one on their preselected list is quite pricy, but I see there’s an option to choose your own from their stock which I’d be tempted to do to save £50.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My recommendation would be to switch the case to the Corsair 4000D airflow to save 20 quid. The case has much better airflow than the iCUE 220T and scores much better on GamersNexus' thermal and noise charts. Unless you're really married to the looks of the 220T.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

My recommendation would be to switch the case to the Corsair 4000D airflow to save 20 quid. The case has much better airflow than the iCUE 220T and scores much better on GamersNexus' thermal and noise charts. Unless you're really married to the looks of the 220T.

Good advice.

Also consider if the case you choose will support the 3.5” drives you want to add.

Also consider dropping the Samsung SSD for a WD or similar, as the Samsung premium isn’t worth it and running 500GB boot drive sucks for gaming. I know because I have one.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

I would specifically not do that, as their pricing has the 3070 for £600, the 3070ti for £800, and the 3080 for £815. In performance terms the 3070ti is much closer to the 3070 and absolutely isn’t worth the extra £200.

So - either get the 3070 or wait for the 3080, the 3070 Ti isn't worth it?

Butterfly Valley posted:

You can also change the case around if you want to save a little/prefer the aesthetics of the other brands. They have the Fractal Design Meshify for example. You lose a fan and RGB but get a better looking case IMO although if you like RGB ymmv.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm not fussed about visual aesthetics - my PC lives under my desk so I rarely ever see it.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Final point, I’d switch out the motherboard for a b550 option. The only one on their preselected list is quite pricy, but I see there’s an option to choose your own from their stock which I’d be tempted to do to save £50.

It's not clear to me if that means it'll still be built or shipped separately.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Also consider if the case you choose will support the 3.5” drives you want to add.

The 3.5" drives I mean to move over are SSDs that sit loosely in my current case, so I'm not too worried about that.

Also consider dropping the Samsung SSD for a WD or similar, as the Samsung premium isn’t worth it and running 500GB boot drive sucks for gaming. I know because I have one.

Do you mean the M.2 drive? I don't see a WD option

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

nexus6 posted:

Correct. The 3070 Ti is like 5% - 8% better than the 3070. It's not a difference you're likely to even notice, and it's nowhere near worth the price difference.

nexus6 posted:

I'm not fussed about visual aesthetics - my PC lives under my desk so I rarely ever see it.

Then definitely switch to the 4000D Airflow. The 220T claims to be an airflow case, but its front panel has poo poo porosity. The 4000D Airflow is leagues better and costs less. You lose a fan with both the 4000D and the Meshify, but both of these perform much better than the 220T despite that due to how much more open the airflow is on them, so that's not an actual downside. And you can use the price difference to buy a couple extra fans to bring down temps even more if you really want.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Correct. The 3070ti is much closer in performance to the 3070 than the 3080 and so for it to cost nearly as much as the 3080 is very poor value.

nexus6 posted:

All the more reason to switch to a cheaper case with decent airflow that doesn't have RGB fans.

nexus6 posted:

It's not clear to me if that means it'll still be built or shipped separately.

The fact it says "I'd like to pick an AM4 motherboard from the Scan website after adding this bundle to the basket (subject to approvable once order placed)!" implies that they'll actually install it and thus need to make sure it's actually compatible. I'm sure you can double check with their customer service though.

nexus6 posted:

Do you mean the M.2 drive? I don't see a WD option

Yeah there isn't an option there, the Samsung is the cheapest one they offer. Pilfered's advice would be relevant if you had more of a choice. Their point about 500GB not being enough for the NVMe is fair though, you'll fill it in no time and wish you had more space.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 220T

The 4000D Airflow

It's like the 220T is an inverted 4000D but even worse, with random holes missing for, uh, aesthetic reasons I guess.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks guys, I'll think I'll go for the 4000D Airflow then

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah there isn't an option there, the Samsung is the cheapest one they offer. Pilfered's advice would be relevant if you had more of a choice. Their point about 500GB not being enough for the NVMe is fair though, you'll fill it in no time and wish you had more space.

That's why I figured I'd add a regular high-capacity HDD as well. I already have a 2TB SSD and a 500GB SSD I put my games on - the boot drive is just for the OS and high-priority installed programs. My current PC has a 128GB SSD for that but I constantly have to free up space on it.

Butterfly Valley posted:

The fact it says "I'd like to pick an AM4 motherboard from the Scan website after adding this bundle to the basket (subject to approvable once order placed)!" implies that they'll actually install it and thus need to make sure it's actually compatible. I'm sure you can double check with their customer service though.

It looks like they're not in on Sundays (good) so I'll try and get in touch tomorrow. I'll also see if there are any expectations on when 3080s become available.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

All great advice above for you.

I will also add that there’s no modern reason to let your 2.5” drives just dangle. I can’t speak to the 4000D, but I suspect it’s like the meshify where you can mount a bunch of 2.5” on the back of
The motherboard tray.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Current config

Choices made:
  • Corsair 4000D case
  • b450-f motherboard - I've had a look at both this and the b-550f on Asus' site and I prefer the connections on the 450 and I don't need wifi. I'm not sure otherwise why to go for the 550
  • 5600x because the 5800x is overkill for gaming (the primary purpose of this PC)
  • 32GB corsair vengeance ddr4. Now, I don't know the specifics here but 32 > 16 and it looks to me like all you lose is RGB lighting (which I neither need nor want)
  • 3070 because it's in stock (will enquire about 3080)
  • 650x PSU {unless I bump to 3080 then I'll get the 750x)
  • 500GB m.2 for a boot drive (steam library can go on other external SSDs I have)
  • 1TB Seagate HDD for some storage
  • No RGB lighting
  • Win 10 pro - now I know I can get a key from SAMart for a lot less - but this would be set up and configured/drivers installed/etc right? I don't mind paying a little more to not have to do that

edit: I wish they'd generate a unique url so you can bookmark/share a link: https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/3xs-gamer-3070-amd

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the b550 is a more modern board and has a pcie gen 4 slot, rather than the gen 3 on the b450. if your SSD is gen 4 and i would assume a high end samsung is you're paying more for a feature you don't use. i think there is also a very mild graphics impact (borderline marginal tho)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I strongly recommend choosing a b550 board from their shop and having them install it rather than settling for a b450 with those parts. There's plenty of decent b550 boards with all the features and connections you'd want for ~£110 on scan. Also the b450 board doesn't have a front USB C connector which would leave that port useless on your 4000D.

As mentioned, you get PCIe 4 which does have a measurable impact on framerates, and also gives you the option to install and benefit from a PCIe 4 NVMe when direct storage becomes a thing (basically lets the GPU directly access the storage to load things much quicker, is a feature in the new consoles and games will start being developed with this in mind).

Regarding RAM, more doesn't equal better. You either have enough or you don't, extra RAM doesn't benefit you beyond that. 16GB is enough for pretty much every game atm. More RAM becomes useful for specific productivity software or if you like to have loads of tabs and applications running at the same time.

Idk what Scan do with their prebuilts but given the general state of system integrators, wiping whatever the gently caress bloatware they put on there and starting with a clean install of Windows will almost always be preferable than running whatever it ships with so no, I don't think you want to pay them £140 for that privilege.
Also updating drivers is something you should be prepared to do as a matter of course, including when you first buy a PC. Assuming they'll be fully updated is straight up wrong.

Installing windows yourself is trivially easy, it takes a USB stick and another PC to download the installation software onto it, then you plug that into your new PC and follow a few simple onscreen prompts.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 24, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My friend just bought a house and I offered to help her set up a combination NAS/Plex server as a housewarming gift. Two questions, since I don't have one of my own:

- What kind of CPU performance should I be shooting for? Her and her husband aren't power users or anything but it's not unlikely that they (both artists) could be working from/saving to the server while someone is simultaneously streaming from Plex. Four cores? Six?
- Do I need to get a cheap Nvidia GPU for encoding or would an APU be enough?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

I strongly recommend choosing a b550 board from their shop and having them install it rather than settling for a b450 with those parts. There's plenty of decent b550 boards with all the features and connections you'd want for ~£110 on scan. Also the b450 board doesn't have a front USB C connector which would leave that port useless on your 4000D.

As mentioned, you get PCIe 4 which does have a measurable impact on framerates, and also gives you the option to install and benefit from a PCIe 4 NVMe when direct storage becomes a thing (basically lets the GPU directly access the storage to load things much quicker, is a feature in the new consoles and games will start being developed with this in mind).

Regarding RAM, more doesn't equal better. You either have enough or you don't, extra RAM doesn't benefit you beyond that. 16GB is enough for pretty much every game atm. More RAM becomes useful for specific productivity software or if you like to have loads of tabs and applications running at the same time.

Idk what Scan do with their prebuilts but given the general state of system integrators, wiping whatever the gently caress bloatware they put on there and starting with a clean install of Windows will almost always be preferable than running whatever it ships with so no, I don't think you want to pay them £140 for that privilege.
Also updating drivers is something you should be prepared to do as a matter of course, including when you first buy a PC. Assuming they'll be fully updated is straight up wrong.

Installing windows yourself is trivially easy, it takes a USB stick and another PC to download the installation software onto it, then you plug that into your new PC and follow a few simple onscreen prompts.

Please listen to this advice. It’s good advice and entirely true.

I’ll add that if you can bump the ram speed to 3600Mhz for minimal cost it’s worth it.

change my name posted:

My friend just bought a house and I offered to help her set up a combination NAS/Plex server as a housewarming gift. Two questions, since I don't have one of my own:

- What kind of CPU performance should I be shooting for? Her and her husband aren't power users or anything but it's not unlikely that they (both artists) could be working from/saving to the server while someone is simultaneously streaming from Plex. Four cores? Six?
- Do I need to get a cheap Nvidia GPU for encoding or would an APU be enough?

The plex thread is probably better suited for this, but the processor is what does most of the transcoding lifting. The side workload isn’t the concern here. It’s things like playback quality (bitrate, 4k, hdr/sdr, etc). Basically the more processor you buy (up to a certain point) the better it’ll handle high quality stuff and the longer it’ll support as files get better. A decent APU may get by, but it’s typically not the best choice.

Separately though, do you really want to do this? A plex sever is not a set and forget thing. By setting that up for them, you are signing yourself up to be their tech support person for a complicated to remotely address situation.

I think a better (although seemingly more selfish gift) is to put that money into upgrades into your OWN plex server, and make them an account with access, and buy them like an AppleTV or whatever than can easily access plex.

IMO no one should own a plex server that can’t set it up on their own. They’re not hard, but they are work and they are complicated in weird ways and things stop working frequently.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I am doing a mobo/CPU/RAM upgrade and decided to replace my 8-year-old Fractal Design Define R4 case with something smaller that has a USB-C port.

Most of this stuff is being carried over from my current build but this is my first time back to AMD CPUs since the Athlon II X3 days.

Any warning signs with this combination of parts, particularly the motherboard/case? It will be used exclusively for 4K gaming so I went a little lighter on CPU/RAM.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact TG Dark Tint ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 24, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It all seems fine to me. The 5600x isn't going to bottleneck you at 4K anytime soon, MSI motherboards are pretty good as far as I'm aware, and the Meshify 2 Compact is a great case.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Parker Lewis posted:

Any warning signs with this combination of parts, particularly the motherboard/case?

Any reason you need that $270 1000W PSU? A 750W would be more than sufficient and half the price.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Butterfly Valley posted:

Any reason you need that $270 1000W PSU? A 750W would be more than sufficient and half the price.

I lucked out and got it for $110 back in 2015 thanks to a promotion EVGA was running for 50% off their power supplies when you bought one of their video cards.

That was back in my SLI days.. the PSU is a bit overkill now but still under warranty for another 4 years so I am bringing it over from my previous build.

I will be taking the HDD trays out of the Meshify 2 Compact so hopefully the PSU length will not be an issue.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 25, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Parker Lewis posted:

I lucked out and got it for $110 back in 2015 thanks to a promotion EVGA was running for 50% off their power supplies when you bought one of their video cards.

That was back in my SLI days.. the PSU is a bit overkill now but still under warranty for another 4 years so I am bringing it over from my previous build.

I will be taking the HDD trays out of the Meshify 2 Compact so hopefully the PSU length will not be an issue.

Don’t forget PSU length does not include the parts of the plugs that stick out of the PSU, and the bit of cable that bends up.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m trying to figure out my best strategy for upgrading my PC gaming situation.

I have: a 2600k i7 I built 10 years ago and upgraded to an R9 290 seven years ago, a Dell 9570 laptop w/ i7 8750H and 1050 Ti, and some six core i5 iMac with an 8 gig 580 pro. Back when I picked up the Dell I’d had thoughts that I’d get an eGPU to use with it and the iMac eventually for games and Resolve if/when prices came down (haha). Now the M1 Macs make the work use case less relevant so I’m looking at my best route to upgrade.

Does putting, say, a 3060 in a ten year old 2600k machine make any sense? I’m also assuming that the eGPU thing is probably dumb if I’m not using it for work stuff with the Mac. I’d thought maybe the iMac with boot camp would be a slight upgrade but I tried it out and it wasn’t better in the couple benchmarks I had easy access to.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It would work but your minimum framerates will still be poor. When I went from 6700k to 5600x my minimums went up dramatically and I wasn't getting stutters all the time anymore. It's not just your CPU it's more than likely your memory is the older DDR3 configuration as well, something that will hold you back. I can't imagine the PSU is in decent shape either at that age. It's approaching EOL.

With a system that old I'd just do a new build from scratch (but good luck with that)

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

powderific posted:

I have: a 2600k i7 I built 10 years ago and upgraded to an R9 290 seven years ago [...]

Does putting, say, a 3060 in a ten year old 2600k machine make any sense?

Really depends on the games. And are you overclocking? What is your monitor resolution? I made the big jump to a whole new system from a 2600k (@4.4GHz, decent air cooler) + 16GB (slow, I think 1333 MHz) paired with a 2060 Super just last month (to 5900x + 3080), but my biggest push for upgrading was Battlefield 2042, because I was already not 100% happy with BFV performance at 1440p (very much CPU-bound).

My son inherited my old computer because especially at 1080p (his monitor resolution), it can still play the vast majority of games just fine. The BF 2042 beta was pretty unoptimized, so the difference in performance between the two systems was night and day.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I can't imagine the PSU is in decent shape either at that age. It's approaching EOL.

I'm planning on transferring my old computer to a nicer case (with RGB and all that nonsense for my kid), and a new PSU is definitely going to be part of it. Especially when it is so old it has really ugly cables, and my son wants the whole tempered glass side panel deal.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Really depends on the games. And are you overclocking? What is your monitor resolution? I made the big jump to a whole new system from a 2600k (@4.4GHz, decent air cooler) + 16GB (slow, I think 1333 MHz) paired with a 2060 Super just last month (to 5900x + 3080), but my biggest push for upgrading was Battlefield 2042, because I was already not 100% happy with BFV performance at 1440p (very much CPU-bound).

My son inherited my old computer because especially at 1080p (his monitor resolution), it can still play the vast majority of games just fine. The BF 2042 beta was pretty unoptimized, so the difference in performance between the two systems was night and day.

I'm planning on transferring my old computer to a nicer case (with RGB and all that nonsense for my kid), and a new PSU is definitely going to be part of it. Especially when it is so old it has really ugly cables, and my son wants the whole tempered glass side panel deal.

The 3080 on its own is generally capable of more than double the performance of the 2060, though, so it's hard to judge how much of your performance improvement was due to the GPU and how much was the CPU. I'd be curious to see some gaming benchmarks comparing decade-old processors with modern ones.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 25, 2021

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks for the advice so far all, it's really appreciated.

I had a chat w/ Scan this morning: tldr I can either buy a 3070 now or preorder a 3080. They expect 3080s in 3-4 weeks, no guarantee but they do get regular stock. If/when I place an order I can add a note to say 'don't deliver the system when I'm away in December' (when I won't be around to accept delivery) so my build will be prioritised when 3080s arrive and if they can't get it to me before I'm away for Christmas, they'll deliver it after. Also I can change my mind and get a 3070 after I place the order if I want and refund the difference, if say there's a problem getting 3080s and they won't be in till mid 2022 or something. So now I guess I just got figure out if I want to chance a wait for a 3080.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It would work but your minimum framerates will still be poor. When I went from 6700k to 5600x my minimums went up dramatically and I wasn't getting stutters all the time anymore. It's not just your CPU it's more than likely your memory is the older DDR3 configuration as well, something that will hold you back. I can't imagine the PSU is in decent shape either at that age. It's approaching EOL.

With a system that old I'd just do a new build from scratch (but good luck with that)

Bleh that's pretty much what I expected. Hadn't really been thinking about things getting to EOL either.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Thanks for the advice so far all, it's really appreciated.

I had a chat w/ Scan this morning: tldr I can either buy a 3070 now or preorder a 3080. They expect 3080s in 3-4 weeks, no guarantee but they do get regular stock. If/when I place an order I can add a note to say 'don't deliver the system when I'm away in December' (when I won't be around to accept delivery) so my build will be prioritised when 3080s arrive and if they can't get it to me before I'm away for Christmas, they'll deliver it after. Also I can change my mind and get a 3070 after I place the order if I want and refund the difference, if say there's a problem getting 3080s and they won't be in till mid 2022 or something. So now I guess I just got figure out if I want to chance a wait for a 3080.

3-4 week wait for a 3080 is a no brainer to me here if it’s in your budget and you can wait that long, especially at a 200 pound difference.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

3-4 week wait for a 3080 is a no brainer to me here if it’s in your budget and you can wait that long, especially at a 200 pound difference.

Thanks, I came to the same conclusion. Here's the final config then

Case: Corsair 4000D
Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO - 3200MHz
GPU: 10GB EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Storage: 1TB Corsair Force MP600 (M.2)

No OS because I already bought a Win 10 key and created an installation USB. I have 2x2.5" SSDs and 1x3.5" HDD I can salvage from my current PC to use.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Looks great and yeah I'd definitely wait for the 3080, it's worth it. If you wanted to save a little more you could try swapping the b550 for a cheaper one from their site, there's ~£120 boards that would do everything you need while not having WiFi which you said was unnecessary.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Agree looks good.

I’m personally partial to ASUS’s BIOS and such, and I’d probably pay the premium myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Gotta quick question ref Ryzen supported RAM speeds. I've been looking at the AMD website, and it looks like nearly all of their processors only support up to 3200 MHz RAM. Even gucci new ones like the 5900X only seem to support 3200 MHz.

Does this mean that there's no advantage to buying RAM with >3200 MHz with these, or is there some Megahertz vs Megatransfer thing I'm missing?

(edit: Been a bit of a wake-up call to make sure my processor, motherboard and RAM all support the XMP I'm targeting!)

CoolCab posted:

those are typically the values they've uh, authenticated? i think? you can totally go well past them but it will depend not just on the chip but the motherboard and silicon lottery of the sticks themselves. and likewise, those values are just what the ram manufacturers confirmed the ram should at least hit, i'm running a 3000MHz kit at 3200 for example.

Got it. Thanks!

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 25, 2021