Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Remember that kickstarter cooler that had a built-in blender? The one that never actually got shipped to most backers? That would've been helpful for boat frozen drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My mom bought a new boat this week. It's a 1964 Stauter-Built 14' Rolled Chine skiff. Legendary local built fishing boat.

She's going to get a 20hp Tohastu for it, and I've ordered the parts to get the lift in the other stall in our boathouse working.

I've already swapped the trailer out from under it, they sold it with a jetski trailer that's waaaay too short, and would be downright dangerous with a motor on the transom.

Not sure the exact age of this sales page, probably some time in the 70s.

Motor has been ordered. Looking like March or April of 2022 before it gets here. Supply chain woes.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Thats not bad actually. Merc told me 54 weeks on all new motors last I checked.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elmnt80 posted:

Thats not bad actually. Merc told me 54 weeks on all new motors last I checked.

Suzuki was saying 52 last I heard.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Crewed for the first time in a race today. Thankfully the skipper was chill because I’m generally pretty new to sailing. We didn’t come in last every time, even though our spinnaker was unusable, so I guess that’s a plus.

There’s a winter season that starts soon and I’m hoping I get picked for a few races. Gonna have to buy some more layers, though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BadSamaritan posted:

Crewed for the first time in a race today. Thankfully the skipper was chill ...Gonna have to buy some more layers, though.

These two items (or their version, things have changed over the last 15 years, but not much) took me through my first seven years of sailing, and I still keep them on the boat as backup gear for new crew

bibs:
https://www.gillmarine.com/mens-pro-salopettes/
splash top:
https://www.gillmarine.com/pro-top-mens/

That said, if you have some extra $$ these are a huge step up from the salopettes:
https://www.gillmarine.com/os2-offshore-mens-trousers/
If you're on a large (35'+) keelboat maybe look at an OS2 jacket:
https://www.gillmarine.com/os2-offshore-mens-jacket/

As crew, especially on smaller boats, there's not much value in getting an offshore jacket. They're big and bulky, and the gill pro top is lithe and won't snag on poo poo. Even for offshore stuff, if you're doing foredeck things, the pro top might be a better option. Offshore jackets are best for people in the back of the boat

Pro tip: never buy black sail gear, always buy red yellow or orange, if you fall overboard, black gear is camouflage when you're in the water. IMO it should be illegal to sell black foul weather sailing gear, even if all black gear looks cool when you're dry onboard the boat :colbert:

You're probably talking about underlayers:
I really, really like these patagonia "air" bottoms (wool):
https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-capilene-air-bottoms/36555.html?dwvar_36555_color=BLK&cgid=collections-cap-air
IMO these are the best thing ever to wear for winter sailing, does an incredible job of preventing your legs from becoming a heat sink in 25 knots of wind @ 50F. Also, water on your waterproof foulies, can still suck an incredible amount of heat out of your body through the fabric. These do a great job of cutting down the heat loss.
For underlayer top, any 85%+ wool blend sweater from goodwill will do you a huge favor. Do NOT buy cotton. Cotton has ZERO insulating value when it's wet; wool still retains ~60% of it's insulating properties when wet. Cotton will just suck the heat out of your body.

lightweight jackets:
patagonia makes a "nano puff" jacket which, weirdly, the insuating fill is shredded PET 20 oz soda bottles (which are recycled)... the big advantage here over down, is that their nano puff fill is ~70% insulating when wet, whereas a down jacket loses all of it's insulating value when wet.
https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-nano-puff-jacket/84212.html?dwvar_84212_color=MEOR&cgid=mens-jackets-vests-insulated-synthetic

The only reason I recommend gill stuff is that my skipper 15+ years ago had a gill splash top, so that's been my go-to brand for foul weather gear; so far no issues with them so i've stuck with them. Other good (probably, better) brands are Zhik, Musto
https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/198660-musto-vs-zhik/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SailboatCruising/comments/jtsjye/foul_weather_gear_gill_vs_helly_hansen_vs_zhik/

The only reason I recommend Patagonia stuff is I lived three blocks from Patagonia's original retail store in San Francisco and we needed cold weather gear for offshore events. Also I still have some of their capline stuff I bought new when I was like, 10 years old in the 90s and it's still in amazing condition and none of their stuff has ever really worn out for me. But very similar stuff is available online and at REI etc for half the price or less.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hadlock posted:

Helpful words

Thanks for all of this- I really appreciate the recommendations because there’s a lot to sift through. It’s tough to know where it’s worth it to spend the money. I do have some of the capilene baselayers and those (and a wool sweater) kept me comfortable yesterday morning, but I know I’ll need more in the actual winter. Everything for the next couple years will be in a harbor on 24-26’ boats.

Agreed on buying bright colors though, I was pretty surprised at the amount of black/navy/charcoal foul weather gear when I started looking. It just seems like a Bad Idea, doubly so when the water temperature might be in the 40s. (I was equally surprised when I kept finding navy infant/toddler/kids life jackets earlier this year. Whyyyyyy.)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Pro tip: never buy black sail gear, always buy red yellow or orange, if you fall overboard, black gear is camouflage when you're in the water. IMO it should be illegal to sell black foul weather sailing gear, even if all black gear looks cool when you're dry onboard the boat :colbert:

Emphasis mine. I spent a few years in the Navy doing MOB drills + SAR work and you DO NOT want to wear dark clothing in the water unless you have a death wish :v:

Finding someone in the water is hard, even in good conditions, and you don't want to spend any more time in the water than you absolutely have to. Hypothermia is a stone-cold killer, and it takes a lot less time than you think to end up in a very serious medical condition that requires hospital treatment as a result of a little dip in the water.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wibla posted:

Emphasis mine. I spent a few years in the Navy doing MOB drills + SAR work and you DO NOT want to wear dark clothing in the water unless you have a death wish :v:

Finding someone in the water is hard, even in good conditions, and you don't want to spend any more time in the water than you absolutely have to. Hypothermia is a stone-cold killer, and it takes a lot less time than you think to end up in a very serious medical condition that requires hospital treatment as a result of a little dip in the water.

45 minutes in 72°F water without a wetsuit and I’m done. Not hypothermic, but totally done with that poo poo. Cold water does not gently caress around.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
72? gently caress that poo poo, I bring a drysuit shell for 75+ lol

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We did offshore training in our harnesses and pfds with tether attached, then got in the pool, flipped a life raft right side up, then climbed in it

Pool water was probably 80F and for the first 15 minutes when the adrenaline/fun was pumping, it was pretty neat. Then we spent the rest of the day sitting by the pool drinking mai tais recovering. That poo poo is exhausting.

Bay area water on a good day is 58F especially as you get closer to the golden gate, less than 55 in the actual ocean

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We did some training in a heated pool at Haakonsvern back in '06, but instead of using the old, uninsulated survival suits, the Navy gave us some fancy new suits they had for testing. They were insulated. I'm fairly sure most of us were struggling with heat exhaustion within the first 15 minutes. gently caress all about that. I'd rather go bonus rounds in the smoke diver training house dragging dummies out while breathing canned air than do that poo poo again.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Wibla posted:

*Stares at bag full of Musto foul weather gear in navy blue*

Well, I only just bought it and all the tags are still on, so guess I'm heading back into the shop today to swap it for red...

https://www.newwaveswimbuoy.com/blogs/news/brightest-on-water I wish they made gear in fluorescent green, I'd rock that poo poo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

occluded posted:

Well, I only just bought it and all the tags are still on, so guess I'm heading back into the shop today to swap it for red...

:toot:

occluded posted:

https://www.newwaveswimbuoy.com/blogs/news/brightest-on-water I wish they made gear in fluorescent green, I'd rock that poo poo.

The good news is that spinlock inflatable pfds, once inflated are fluorescent green

That said, our local basketball team colors are orange and blue, I've spotted a mylar balloon from one of their events at least half a mile away on the ocean, orange mylar balloon looks like a pfd from that range. I've rescued several balloons from an untimely doom in the ocean in my time, wasting an enormous amount of time.

Tldr orange is still pretty visible from a distance in good weather during daylight hours

Other pro tip: don't fall overboard at night in bad weather, and if you do see someone go overboard, don't stop to ask questions hit (and HOLD) that red distress button on the VHF until it starts screaming at you (it will beep a couple times before it actually goes off). You can always walk back a distress call, much easier than pumping water out of someone's lungs

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe
Update: no red salopettes available but a nearby store will be posting me their red jacket. Musto Falmouth staff continue to be the nicest dudes ever. Did I mention they price matched all the stuff I bought without me asking them to?

I’ve done a ton of MOB drills so far but I find it weird that ‘getting them back on board’ isn’t really addressed once you reach them (under sail or motor) I’m trying to read up on good techniques or gear to haul a wet casualty up the side of the boat; there’s articles and stuff out there but I’d love a chance to test it out with a dummy.

If anyone’s got a bote down in SW engerland I’ll volunteer to jump in to try out man-winching techniques.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
at minimum if you don't want to buy a VHF MOB beacon, 3x :10bux: will get you a water activated beacon/strobe that attaches to the oral inflation tube on your PFD.

https://www.acrartex.com/products/c-strobe-h20

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

occluded posted:

I’ve done a ton of MOB drills so far but I find it weird that ‘getting them back on board’ isn’t really addressed once you reach them (under sail or motor) I’m trying to read up on good techniques or gear to haul a wet casualty up the side of the boat; there’s articles and stuff out there but I’d love a chance to test it out with a dummy.

If anyone’s got a bote down in SW engerland I’ll volunteer to jump in to try out man-winching techniques.

I'll go out training with you in :norway: but it's a bit late in the season unless you have a proper drysuit that can handle a bit of abuse :sun:

Getting people out of the water is annoying as gently caress, especially into a sailboat. Reminds me we're going to have to run some proper MOB drills next summer.
A lifesling hooked to a halyard, winch them aboard is the really short version of how to get them back aboard :v:
If they're unconscious, poo poo gets way more complicated.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lifesling sells a snatch block you can hook to the end of a halyard, then run the line through that to hardware on a deck and onto a winch. But your crew will need training and you'll have to not lose the snatch block. All during a live MOB. Good luck with all that.

You're in much better shape if the boat has a sugar scoop on the back. Don't expect your waterlogged, exhausted person to be much use climbing 4 vertical feet up the side of the boat

There's a reason why "the first rule of sailing is don't fall off the boat"

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Hadlock as usual is spot on, if you're serious about getting into racing, start with OS2, IMO, it was my first set of gear and lasted a good 3 years. I still have my OG Os2 jacket 12 years later for non-waterproof cold gear. Probably good as a snowboard jacket if you don't fall

I'm lucky enough to live within 5 minutes of the US distributorships for Gill and Zhik--why they're inland north of Atlanta, who knows--and I've used both and have worked for Zhik in the past. Gill is where I would start for general yachting stuff; as soon as you start hardcore racing -- low PHRF Asymms, Melges24, foiling, Thistles, etc., start buying Zhik stock.

Don't forget about Helly as a medium, higher quality step between the two if you need more performance out of your gear. Can't speak to Musto, never owned any, but I know some old guys with lots of offshore miles that swear by it.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 25, 2021

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
If you have a dive ladder on your boat is there value in having an alert, conscious MOB use it or is it best practice to hook and winch?

I'm also wondering about the risks of having someone stand on the ladder partially immersed to assist the MOB or help lift them onto the deck. Guess it depends on conditions.

I'm used to recovering divers in 3-5' swells and the occasional big boat wake, but I haven't had to do it in stormy conditions, and divers have masks and regulators, so they're less likely to get a lungful of water during a surge.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Divers also expected to go in the water that day

When you go in the water you have a.. something reflex, which causes you to gasp and hyperventilate for 90 seconds and often that person inhales a not insignificant amount of water. You can consciously defeat it, if you know about it, but the new guy on the boat isn't going to know either of those facts

There's also a non zero chance they got whomped by the boom, or dragged under/over the lifelines by a jib or spinnaker sheet, or bounced their head off the side of the boat courtesy of a wave and probably pretty wobbly doing anything strenuous

Plan on having them come aboard themselves, but have a plan to fish a limp body out of the water

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's really situational, it depends on weather conditions and the condition of the person who went MOB.

If you're out sailing in the spring/fall in temperate areas where the water temp drops below 15-20C, the time window you have to get a MOB back aboard is shorter than you think, and they might be less able to help themselves than you might expect.

I guess we've mostly debated this point to death already, but don't fall into the drink :colbert: (and practice MOB procedures religiously)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think I hit all my high points

A good MOB test harness is two x 1 gallon milk jugs, or Clorox bottles, paint them red (or black, if your crew insists on black foul weather gear :black101:) and fill them 95% with water (some air bubble to float) and toss them overboard

The harness only weighs ~16 lbs but it's heavy enough and floppy enough to be an actual challenge to fish out of the water without making the rest of the crew hate you for insisting on a MOB drill

Also also, make sure everyone gets a chance steering the boat during a MOB drill. Hitting a floating target at 3 knots is actually a lot harder than it looks (also in case the captain falls overboard)

Edit: if you want to actually simulate a floppy crew member, fill four x 5 gallon buckets with water, tie them together and throw shove them overboard. Actually just getting the whole contraption over the life line and into the water is probably a good test of whatever crew retrieval system you're dreaming up. 20 gallons is 160 lbs which is still on the lighter end of sailing crew these days

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 25, 2021

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We used conscripts :v:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I'll just state the obvious here, wear a goddamn lifejacket.

If its below 50*F ambient or its blowing more than 15kts, I've got mine on, and I do most of my sailing on a medium sized lake. People look at me like I'm more nuts than wearing a mask here in the south but my deathwish doesn't include asphyxiating because my boots and trousers filled with water.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

FYI if you think a 2’ swim ladder on your transom works for poo poo in any actual weather you’re wrong. In a good sea with that thing chopping down off waves you don’t want to be anywhere near that, you want a good ladder midships where there is the least motion and you can let the boat heel/drift to leeward while you recover the MOB. Ideally a hard ladder that stands off the hull and extends down below the waterline and has a firm attachment to the hull or deck. If MOB is incapacitated having a handy-billy purchase (3:1 min, ideally 6:1) you can clip on them and the boom to yoink them up is easier than a halyard. If you don’t have a ladder and the MOB are useful you can drop the leeward jib sheet with the end around a winch and have the MOB stand on it and hold onto the boat and you winch them up until they can step onto the deck.

Practice until you’re bored as hell.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Crunchy Black posted:

I'll just state the obvious here, wear a goddamn lifejacket.

If its below 50*F ambient or its blowing more than 15kts, I've got mine on, and I do most of my sailing on a medium sized lake. People look at me like I'm more nuts than wearing a mask here in the south but my deathwish doesn't include asphyxiating because my boots and trousers filled with water.

I worked on workboats. Steel toed boots, full foul weather gear, hard hat, gloves, etc. I wore my life jacket every loving day. If it was cold and we weren't in the mud, I wore a Mustang exposure suit. Working in marine robotics doing vehicle deployments in the not-summer?, I wore a Mustang suit. Offshore in the not-summer? Mustang suit. gently caress drowning and fuuuuuck freezing to death.

My jacket has a LED strobe, as does my Mustang. Well worth it.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe

Crunchy Black posted:

Can't speak to Musto, never owned any, but I know some old guys with lots of offshore miles that swear by it.

Well, my replacement red (:toot:) jacket arrived today, and while I don't have many sea miles I've worked in film and photography where you need good outdoor gear, and to a first inspection the build quality and materials in this thing are absolutely spectacular.

Will update next week, I'm due to go on a mileage builder trip in pretty lovely weather so should have some real world experience soon. As long as the trip doesn't get cancelled for the third time, which is pretty likely just due to how poo poo these guys are at organising stuff.

(Is anyone interested in a diary of Occluded's Journey To Skipper? Partly boat stuff and partly me getting annoyed at logistics and how I would run a sailing school if I was in charge....)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

:justpost::posthaste:

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe
Brief update: my mileage builder trip was cancelled at the last minute due to gale warnings (forecasted days ago so no idea why they waited until last minute to cancel but hey ho). But it means I can help a friend out, driving her and some other sail buddies to Southampton to pick up her new boat, and they’ll sail her back to Falmouth.

On arrival at tonight’s hotel, a bottle of cough syrup got broken, covering all the charts and the portable vhf. Beautiful start.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I've been prepping for paint and I hate sanding

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I found a water leak (from above) that has been allowed to go on for too long. gently caress.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Bay area goons-

This boat (Cal 20) was designed to ply the waters of San Francisco bay, stoutly built and seaworthy. At least one has raced competitively to Hawaii

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265275683269?hash=item3dc3a9b1c5:g:5w0AAOSwsi5hHqv5

My wife won't let me pick up additional carry cost items (like slip fees), but I'll totally go in 50/50 on this boat, I'll pay for the boat + registration, and teach you to sail, you cover slip fees (~$180/mo)

Boat is in great condition and has fairly new sails. Send me a PM if interested, I guess

This boat sold for $215. I wish I'd been checking the thread more frequently or you'd have had a co-owner on your hands.

I'm now following that seller. If you see any more absurdly good deals like that here in the Bay, PM me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Will do

The winches or any one of those sails is worth $215 easily

There are pretty regularly Santana 22 and Santa Cruz 27 that come up in the sub 2000 range, but they're not race ready like that one was

SC27 are pretty nice because 85% of the time it comes with a trailer, which means you can haul it up to Lake Tahoe in the summers, and there's an active fleet up there

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Had our boat pulled out of the water on Monday. The place we bought it/service it/store it in the winter did it for us. Then I got a casual email asking if we wanted a quote to fix all the prop/skeg damage. That I did not know we had. Sent us this picture (we live about 2 hours away and will not be up there until this weekend).

My first thought was “how did I not know I did this” before realizing there is no loving way I did this. About 3 trips ago I scrubbed the prop and out drive and definitely would have noticed if I had broken half of my skeg off. Last 2 trips have been uneventful (no beaching, no log hits, never in shallow water). Does this look like hit something damage? Or dragged it along the concrete/ramp damage?

The reason I ask is after questioning them a bit (and letting them know our dock master from our marina saw them use our boat as a taxi on Monday), the service manager said they “may have dragged it a bit”. He brought that up out of the blue.

I am staying calm while they fix it, but it was left in a kind of limbo where it was not clear who was paying for it.

Any experienced boaters know what this damage looks like? Or am I just in a he said/he said situation?

Snowmankilla fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 4, 2021

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Sounds like a, "fix it or you lose my business, all of my buddies' that I can spread the word to and the entire marina's" presuming they're separate entities, hopefully you can get the harbormaster to make a statement on paper.

I'd say concrete damage.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Yeah I am hoping they make it right, but I am afraid they are going to say “you wouldn’t know if you hit anything, and you don’t check your prop every time you dock. Doesn’t look like concrete damage to me”. We do pay them a good amount every year, and the wife is eyeing an upgrade. I hope they don’t lose our business over this?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

For something to compare to, this was a rock strike from some months back from work. Cust ran over some rocks. I'd look to see if the skeg was ground down instead of snapping like the skeg here. I'd also look for damage on all prop blades vs just a few with how it looks in those pics.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Elmnt80 posted:

For something to compare to, this was a rock strike from some months back from work. Cust ran over some rocks. I'd look to see if the skeg was ground down instead of snapping like the skeg here. I'd also look for damage on all prop blades vs just a few with how it looks in those pics.

That’s great advice. I’ll get more pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd also ask exactly what they mean by skeg repair. If they dragged it, they are gonna need to do something more than slap a $90 skeg protector on to take care of you as a customer imo. Either a new skeg welded on or a whole new lower. However that prop looks pretty repairable and I wouldn't be too concerned if they just want to do that instead of slapping a new one on.