Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
My first car was an 83 GSL, I'm biased but the styling still really holds up.

I should look around and see how much they're going for now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 16, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Krakkles posted:

I always liked early RX-7s, but I doubt I'll ever own one at this point. Or poo poo, drive one.

If you're ever in the Dallas area, I'll offer a ride/drive in mine. Once it's back on the road, so, you know, don't hurry.
It won't be 1979 original by that point, though, so don't expect a pure experience. Honestly, it hasn't been exactly 1979 original since before I got it (1981 engine in it by that point.)

edit: you can find status in my thread. And probably a lot of schadenfreude/point-and-laugh.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

My first car was an 83 GSL, I'm biased but the styling still really holds up.

I should look around and see how much they're going for now...

I think so too regarding the styling. I wouldn't call it "modern", but it definitely doesn't look dated like some of it's contemporaries.

On price - $10k CAD for a rust free, running and driving example, minimum, around here at least. Mine is for sale :wiggle: (because I want to start a rotary swapped 60s/70s era German car project entitled "Wankels Revenge")

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

(because I want to start a rotary swapped 60s/70s era German car project entitled "Wankels Revenge")

I'm in.
You WILL start a thread. That's not a request.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I'm in.
You WILL start a thread. That's not a request.

Lol, if this project ever materializes I definitely will. I posted a bit in the Porsche thread about it because I was put in contact with someone who has over a dozen 914's, I may use one of those if I can find one that isn't rotted to hell.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

A young Kenneth Branagh poses with his co-star of Mazdado About Nothing.

(Rotary and Juliet?)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

davebo posted:

Mazdado About Nothing.

(Rotary and Juliet?)

:lmao:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

davebo posted:

A young Kenneth Branagh poses with his co-star of Mazdado About Nothing.

(Rotary and Juliet?)

oh no lol

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Rotary and J2zuliet - a tragedy of star crossed engines set in 90s Japan. Music by John Williams.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DO YOU BLOW YOUR APEX SEALS AT ME?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Rental car!!!!
https://youtu.be/WDNtVFYTm4c

Kind of shocked it was actually the v8 when i picked it up, and only $30/day

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Voltage posted:

Rental car!!!!

I'm surprised that it had an LSD.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Voltage posted:

Rental car!!!!

Well done, well done

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Voltage posted:

Rental car!!!!

Nice. Unless you paid for the insurance, in which case I’m severely disappointed you didn’t ride the 11’s until the rims sparked.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
And that's why you never buy a car previously owned by a rental company

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

One time I found a GTI with launch control at the National Emerald Aisle, much fun was had

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Voltage posted:

Rental car!!!!

That's funny because my wife just had to go to Denver and Enterprise gave her a V8 Challenger she did not want but was all they had. She hates driving to begin with so it wasn't fun for her with poor visibility and it accelerating too quickly, but when she texted the first thing I said was do a burnout, thinking of this thread.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Voltage posted:

Rental car!!!!

Proper.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 16, 2022

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
My car was stolen, so I got a new Passat alltrack to replace it.

It's pretty lovely.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
My friends got together to drive each other's cars and have an extended doggy playdate. Today my ride is this rare green NSX (tomorrow the red 993 coupe peeking out on the right)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I need better friends.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

got off on a technicality posted:

My friends got together to drive each other's cars and have an extended doggy playdate. Today my ride is this rare green NSX (tomorrow the red 993 coupe peeking out on the right)

oh my goodness my heart...

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

This makes me pine for the days of my excitement buying Need for Speed II on PC

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

If this is anywhere near Maryland I would love to come pet some dogs and ride in some awesome cars, that's an amazing time right there.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Here's my ride, and I did something stupid!

I have never been to radwood or concours d'lemons. For whatever various reasons, I've just never made it until now. They had a combined show in Greenwich, CT -- about a 250 mile drive for me.
Naturally I entered the biturbo in lemons.

It all went well and there were lots of people excited to see the biturbo. I knew the four-door biturbo was a little bit rare, but I never realized just how rare. I had many people come up to me and say they'd owned many biturbos and other Maseratis and never knew the four-door existed.

For my misguided taste in adventure, I won this prestigious award, it translates to something like "Do you know a good mechanic?"

The award turned out to be fairly apropos; although I had no problems on the 250 mile ride to the show, disaster stuck about 30 miles into the trip coming home. The front right caliper seized up, BAD. Fortunately I was less than a mile from a rest stop. I didn't bring much for tools, honestly there isn't a lot that can be fixed roadside on these stupid cars, but I did have enough to exercise the pistons to get it freed up.

Shortly after taking this picture, it started raining, just to help.

About an hour of driving later it was dark. After some particularly nasty section of interstate (which to be fair, is like 97% of Connecticut, I thought Maine roads were bad...), the car started pulling to the left, pretty bad.
I didn't take any pictures because it was dark, but I assumed it was probably a leaky tire. It couldn't be the brake on that side sticking, I hadn't touched the brakes for a while. Pulled over and all the tires looked fine, but the back right wheel was stuffed all the way up in the fender, riding on the bump stops. A quick look with a flashlight and I could tell that the spring wasn't broken... what the gently caress?!? I figured I'd get back on the road and take a better look at the next rest stop.

At the next rest stop, I jacked the car up and the wheel .... STAYED STUFFED TO THE BUMP STOPS; WHAT THE gently caress? After a minute, it started to slowly return. Let the car back down and everything looked fine, but if I jumped on the bumper, every time i compressed the suspension, it went down but didn't come back up. I was literally pumping the strut down.
Something must be majorly hosed in the valving, nothing I could do, so I hit the road and just drove like that 100 miles home. The rest of the trip was uncomfortable, but uneventful.

After sitting overnight, it slowly returned to ride height and looks normal, a good-looking lawn ornament for now!

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 24, 2021

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Porkers and friend!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i bought a box

seems mostly good but seller neglected to tell me AC is blowing HOT. gas mileage was not great on the 200+ mile journey home

front tires seem to be kinda noisy but might just be that this car isnt very well soundproofed or that they're kinda like offroad-ish tires?. or maybe a wheel bearing?

anyway should be a good dog hauler, winter beater and camping vehicle

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 24, 2021

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

BraveUlysses posted:

i bought a box

seems mostly good but seller neglected to tell me AC is blowing HOT. gas mileage was not great on the 200+ mile journey home

front tires seem to be kinda noisy but might just be that this car isnt very well soundproofed or that they're kinda like offroad-ish tires?. or maybe a wheel bearing?

anyway should be a good dog hauler, winter beater and camping vehicle

Elements are great. I'm working on my buddy's element right now, he needs new headlights (easy to change) lock cylinders (I guess this is a common problem, fairly easy to change) and a passenger window regulator. This is after 17 years of ownership. I also just found out that if it doesn't have keyless entry, it's $125 and snaps in to the wiring harness in 10 minutes. I'm going to do that on his car too.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeast posted:

My car was stolen, so I got a new Passat alltrack to replace it.

It's pretty lovely.

sporty wagon? :awesome:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 16, 2022

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It doesn't look anything like a minivan.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Somehow it's worse because it lacks the sliding door convenience

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I decided having only one mostly red truck that needs a ton of work in the garage was not enough, so I bought another one.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

I was at a job yesterday and a photographer I hadn't seen in years asked if I still had my silver C5. This photo made me miss it again. Every time I take my son in the bike trailer to the park up the street, we pass a C7, C4, C6 and C5 in that order and he says Corvette!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It snowed a little. Before it snowed a little, it rained a lot, and a bear got into my truck and the jerk left the door open all night so it is very damp inside. Today my power was out so I went out for lunch, not in the truck.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I want to hear more about this bear.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Post that bear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

No documentation of the specific bear in question. I'll admit I'm not 100% positive it was a bear, I was somewhat shocked at how little the inside of the truck was messed up. But something also knocked over and got into our (very heavy) compost bin, so on the [raccoon, human, bear] spectrum of possibilities, given how present the bears have been this year, I'm going with bear. Here is a bear in the neighborhood a few days ago (we can pretend it is the same bear, entirely possible)

https://i.imgur.com/QOOE9Qp.mp4