Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

He looks like a cross between a Spitting Image puppet and a testicle.

e: Puppy tax:

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

Oh so the woke left think pumping human effluent into rivers is bad all of a sudden do they? :rolleyes:
My hope is that this leads to a spate of alt right dickheads drinking / bathing in sewage to own the left.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

He's kind of right here (about plastic recycling). Dividing up all your trash is pretty much theatre, and most of it is still going to be burned or landfilled.

We should probably stop using plastic altogether.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

You've got mail. It is a bill.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

He's kind of right here (about plastic recycling). Dividing up all your trash is pretty much theatre, and most of it is still going to be burned or landfilled.

We should probably stop using plastic altogether.
Or at least making plastic out of plants and then pyrolysing it in CHP facilities as a less bad option.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

I’ve been on at Feargal to do a TV show about his pet passion for years called “Shearkey Infested Waters” but he won’t bite

Strong username:post combo

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Loonytoad Quack posted:

He looks like a cross between a Spitting Image puppet and a testicle.

Probably tried using some plumbers mastic as face filler.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LloydHardy/status/1452681655441887251

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Answers Me posted:

Anyone got any recommended reads/listens for a decent left critique of the looming supply chain/food shortage, infrastructure collapse etc crisis? Obviously it’s getting referenced a lot, but I haven’t really seen something that gets deep into the hows and whys. tia

This is going to be a bit scattershot, not necessarily lefty and probably not answer your questions. But here's some interesting reads I've run across in the past couple of months.
On food, I don't have anything explicit offhand. Someone like Michael Pollan might be a good start, he's a bit woo woo at times but has talked before about how every calorie of modern food requires ten calories of fossil fuel input. Generally, the whole 'green revolution' thing in the 60s saved billions from starvation by switching us over to industrial scale farming using the Haber Bosch process. Consider in the context of oil running out, before we even get to things like soil depletion, the massive decrease in biodiversity and effects of the overuse of industrial pesticides.

Not related to the above question, but as a more general source of actual leftist thought I'd recommend Red Pepper. It's one of the few left-wing British publications https://www.redpepper.org.uk/

Seeing as we're discussing working from home in the thread, it's also well worth revisiting Bullshit Jobs and considering just how much of the modern economy is just box ticking and makework. Graeber in general was an excellent author, taken from us too soon.

Oh, and apropos of nothing the reason I'm highly sceptical whenever someone brings up the concept of new technology saving us all.

E: What the hell have this too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZgoFyuHC8

RockyB fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 25, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Comrade Fakename posted:

Where does Rayner land on the anime girl scale? She's not really moe or genki, so I guess she must be tsundere. Definitely tsun tsuning with the "scum" comments anyway.

Just say "youse" and then you get to give Starmer working class credit. Just rub that accent all over Starmer so it sticks to him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I went too far down a twitter rabbit hole and now i am arrested and thrown in jail these days

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I went too far down a twitter rabbit hole and now i am arrested and thrown in jail these days

It's basically performance art at this point.
But the poo poo kind.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

RockyB posted:

This is going to be a bit scattershot, not necessarily lefty and probably not answer your questions.

[...]

This all looks really helpful, thanks for putting it together!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1452705355545391114

e: Bonus Boris parenting skills

https://twitter.com/JJHTweets/status/1451072899167686656

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 25, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

let's hope he gave it to the rest of them

if we end up with >150k dead from covid and there isn't a single Tory MP among them I will be so very disappointed

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Wait, I thought spitting image was puppets, is this what real englishmen look like?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bone Crimes posted:

Wait, I thought spitting image was puppets, is this what real englishmen look like?

It's what a certain type of Englishmen look like - recapture lost youth by slightly spiking hair and a bit of a bleach job.

Also see: Rod Stewart, Peter Stringfellow, Ron Wood (though he gave the bleach bottle a miss and went for the black hair dye instead.)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bone Crimes posted:

You know not the horrific consequences of centuries of mating with the spawn of Dagon.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's what a certain type of Englishmen look like - recapture lost youth by slightly spiking hair and a bit of a bleach job.

Also see: Rod Stewart, Peter Stringfellow, Ron Wood (though he gave the bleach bottle a miss and went for the black hair dye instead.)

I just googled recent pics of those 3 and while they have a look, they mostly just look old. This Charlie guy looks like he's made of rubber and sweat.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bone Crimes posted:

I just googled recent pics of those 3 and while they have a look, they mostly just look old. This Charlie guy looks like he's made of rubber and sweat.

I was trying not to :airquote: face shame :airquote: but I know what you mean.

:unsmigghh:

As an oldie myself, I discovered the appearance smoother on zoom and my manager said to me 'wow your skin looks good what have you been using'....

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Englishmen naturally get younger with age.

Just look at our illustrious MP Michael Fabricant and his totally natural bush of totally natural hair sitting totally naturally on top of his head.

He looked so much older 24 years ago

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 25, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some people just do look like a waxed boiled cabbage but I think if I end up like that, I would not try to combine it with a karen haircut, I don't think it goes very well.

Definitely think the better option is to just go full crusty hippy.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1452670534060232704

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a Dorian Grey type thing with Fabricant, he keeps several flags around his house that have aged terribly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crossposting because I know there are some anorak-adjacent people ITT.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Englishmen get younger with Age.

Just look at our illustrious MP Michael Fabricant and his totally natural bush of totally natural hair sitting totally naturally on top of his head.

He looked so much older 24 years ago

lol. lmao. was he doing a bit in the first picture? Cause he looks good in the second, and I'm sure he'd look fine now with a shaved head or just his natural hair. Was he trying to imitate Boris?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a whole little squad of weird tories with extremely incongruous hairdos in parliament. They keep showing up and I can never remember who any of them are because I just focus always on the hair that it looks like they killed and scalped a teenager for.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

to be fair to fabrcant I didn't know he was such an early model

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

There's a whole little squad of weird tories with extremely incongruous hairdos in parliament. They keep showing up and I can never remember who any of them are because I just focus always on the hair that it looks like they killed and scalped a teenager for.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The most uncanny valley politician being named Michael Fabricant is impressively on-the-nose.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Michael Heseltine was another one with boofy hair

After he let his blond locks go grey:

Charles Dance (not a tory MP) is another one with weird hair.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

It is a little troubling to entrust your freight haulage to someone who already has a record of missed deliveries.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Michael Heseltine was another one with boofy hair

After he let his blond locks go grey:

Charles Dance (not a tory MP) is another one with weird hair.

I mean that's weird, he looks like dracula, but it's still less weird than the current trend of trying to look like justin bieber circa 2014.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Huh. Wikipedia is giving false information.

Re Bus Factor:

quote:

An early instance of this sort of query was when Michael McLay publicly asked, in 1994, what would happen to the Python language if Guido van Rossum were hit by a bus.[3]

An even earlier example from 1988 ish is when yours truly who was the only person working on a particular extremely large project had a file on her desk entitled "Run Over By A Bus" file where my innermost secrets of how to do the job were kept with regularly updated notes.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/status/1452740497076891648

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Nothing that David Davis opposes could ever become law!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

josh04 posted:

Nothing that David Davis opposes could ever become law!

He'll use his SAS skills to restore democracy.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was listening to the start of the most recent PraxisCast and James was wondering if this is what the decline of a society looks like from the inside. I don't think he's wrong, but I also think things like this are signs that we're going to embrace a fascist state where everyone is either a prisoner or a soldier to prop the facade up enough that the libs can continue to have their treats.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

instead he should take a leaf out of Domino's book and employ current drug dealers to do food deliveries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was listening to the start of the most recent PraxisCast and James was wondering if this is what the decline of a society looks like from the inside. I don't think he's wrong, but I also think things like this are signs that we're going to embrace a fascist state where everyone is either a prisoner or a soldier to prop the facade up enough that the libs can continue to have their treats.

are the libs prisoners or soldiers in this scenario?