Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
I'm not sure how to post an update for a thread for an LP that finished almost two years ago, it's not really relevant outside of this particular thread. Do I revive the thread for an update or just post it here and whoever sees it sees it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm not sure how to post an update for a thread for an LP that finished almost two years ago, it's not really relevant outside of this particular thread. Do I revive the thread for an update or just post it here and whoever sees it sees it?

If the thread is still live, then post it in the relevant thread. If it's been archive locked, then PM Jeffrey or Astral with the relevant details and they should be able to get it unlocked again for you.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

nine-gear crow posted:

If the thread is still live, then post it in the relevant thread. If it's been archive locked, then PM Jeffrey or Astral with the relevant details and they should be able to get it unlocked again for you.

It's still live. I'll post it there.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TheMcD posted:

The alternative method of paging mods for title/tag changes, for reference, is just to report the first post in your thread and say what you want in the report, since the report button, in the end, is for "mod attention required here".

Yeah I just don't like hitting the "report" button unless someone is actually being an rear end in a top hat.

Leal posted:

Classic Alkyderp :buddy:

Yay! People still remember me!

And thank you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Alkydere posted:

Yeah I just don't like hitting the "report" button unless someone is actually being an rear end in a top hat.

I know a lot of people feel the same way, but believe me when I say sending reports asking for title changes/icon changes/pretty much anything is the easiest way for us to see your request. It's less of a 911 button and more of a "hey check this out" button :v:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Please help our report forum. It's very sick.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the last year has been pretty quiet. we have like... a report a month and the three of us keep scrambling to respond to it.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug

Sally posted:

the last year has been pretty quiet. we have like... a report a month and the three of us keep scrambling to respond to it.

I'd say that's a great problem to have though? Better then the alternative...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh no moderating LP is great. This subforum is frequently an island of peace and serenity surrounded by gale force winds.

i just also hope SALPers are comfortable enough to use reports for benign reasons like thread title and tag changes, joke probations, editing polls, and the like.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

What kind of idiot would use the report button to ask for joke probations?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
you're a saint!

i put a spooky gif in your rap sheet in honour of Halloween

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Dammit I had to upload mine and it took too long :argh:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Wait, THAT's how you get a probation? All this time I thought I had to break rules. They should really tell you this when you join.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
I'm going to be doing a VLP of Hand of Fate for the PC. I think I've nailed down the format but this is the first time I've actually done something like this. Are there any issues with what I have so far before I post?

OP - https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159722
First post, will be linked - https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159723

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ooh, can't wait for the LP! Hand of Fate (and its sequel) are two of my favorites.

:justpost:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So for archiving you want to keep your images under 900w. But what if I make 2 images like that and put them side to side? Would baldurk get angry :ohdear:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dare you invoke his wrath to test it?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Leal posted:

So for archiving you want to keep your images under 900w. But what if I make 2 images like that and put them side to side? Would baldurk get angry :ohdear:
Pretty sure the second image would just get wrapped to the next line.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Yes, baldurk's reaction would most certainly just be complete indifference.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Leal posted:

Ah, this is good to know, I was planning on doing full 1920x1080 screencaps. So 900 width is the standard?

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 25, 2021

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Ah, this is good to know, I was planning on doing full 1920x1080 screencaps. So 900 width is the standard?

I wouldn't say it's the standard. But it does keep things more easily readable overall and it's the maximum width possible in the LP archive.

If you don't care about a thread going to the archive then you can just do whatever you tink works best for your LP. After all you can no longer break tables or anything.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

IGgy IGsen posted:

I wouldn't say it's the standard. But it does keep things more easily readable overall and it's the maximum width possible in the LP archive.

If you don't care about a thread going to the archive then you can just do whatever you tink works best for your LP. After all you can no longer break tables or anything.

Yeah that's what I was operating under the assumption of, like for years now, that the tables thing was no longer relevant so anything goes. Dang. For my last LP all 2000+ images were 768x432, (2/5 HD scale), which I thought was preemptively itty bitty, but apparently still not enough. I had no idea that disqualified them from archiving. That's too bad.

So do a bunch of LPers really go through the trouble of resizing all their widescreen screencaps to like, nHD 640x360? That's amazing that in 2021 you guys are still expected to work at the resolution of a ten-years-old Nokia phone, I had no idea.

Well now I'm on the fence. I was wondering if a page of 2-3 MB HD images would pose a problem for people nowadays, now I'm thinking it might.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah that's what I was operating under the assumption of, like for years now, that the tables thing was no longer relevant so anything goes. Dang. For my last LP all 2000+ images were 768x432, (2/5 HD scale), which I thought was preemptively itty bitty, but apparently still not enough. I had no idea that disqualified them from archiving. That's too bad.

So do a bunch of LPers really go through the trouble of resizing all their widescreen screencaps to like, nHD 640x360? That's amazing that in 2021 you guys are still expected to work at the resolution of a ten-years-old Nokia phone, I had no idea.

Well now I'm on the fence. I was wondering if a page of 2-3 MB HD images would pose a problem for people nowadays, now I'm thinking it might.
I think your 768x432 images are fine. IIRC the 900px restriction for the LP Archive applies to the horizontal width of the image, you can't go over 900x???.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

I think your 768x432 images are fine. IIRC the 900px restriction for the LP Archive applies to the horizontal width of the image, you can't go over 900x???.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=153724

baldurk posted:

The archive has a maximum limit of 900px width for images. Any images that embedded inline (i.e. linked images are exempt) should be under this dimension. I can run an automated pass to resize down all over-sized images but be sure that this is OK with you. If not, you need to resize or timg your images and edit the posts manually - see above about corrections.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Commander Keene posted:

It's this. Any arbitrary resolution up to and including 900px wide is fine. Most 16:9 screenshots I've seen are either 800x450 or 900x506, for instance, for that very reason.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

It's this. Any arbitrary resolution up to and including 900px wide is fine. Most 16:9 screenshots I've seen are either 800x450 or 900x506, for instance, for that very reason.

Cool, thank you very much for clarifying. I'll see what my co-author wants to do.

Out of curiosity, technical specs of archival aside is it really significantly difficult to just read a thread with 1920 width images? I assumed any device would auto scale it but now I'm wondering what the costs of doing full HD would be just to ease of access.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

In my experience reading LP's, it really depends on how much activity the thread gets otherwise. If the thread is fairly quiet so like half the posts on any given thread page are your image-heavy SSLP, then it can definitely cause some struggles. If you're getting enough chatter that you only have a couple updates per page, it's barely noticeable.

One way around it I've seen is that people will actually post the entire update on the SSLP test page, then link to it in the thread so when people are coming just to check the thread, they aren't loading your 400 pictures. Alternatively, you actually post the current update in thread normally (to make it easier for people to quote it if they wish), but then retroactively go back and edit-post your previous ones to link to the updates on the SSLP test page - so the current update is always in the thread, the old ones are offsite to save thread space.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cool, thank you very much for clarifying. I'll see what my co-author wants to do.

Out of curiosity, technical specs of archival aside is it really significantly difficult to just read a thread with 1920 width images? I assumed any device would auto scale it but now I'm wondering what the costs of doing full HD would be just to ease of access.

My web browser on my laptop sure won't scale it, so I'll have to scroll from side to side.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

MagusofStars posted:

In my experience reading LP's, it really depends on how much activity the thread gets otherwise. If the thread is fairly quiet so like half the posts on any given thread page are your image-heavy SSLP, then it can definitely cause some struggles. If you're getting enough chatter that you only have a couple updates per page, it's barely noticeable.

One way around it I've seen is that people will actually post the entire update on the SSLP test page, then link to it in the thread so when people are coming just to check the thread, they aren't loading your 400 pictures. Alternatively, you actually post the current update in thread normally (to make it easier for people to quote it if they wish), but then retroactively go back and edit-post your previous ones to link to the updates on the SSLP test page - so the current update is always in the thread, the old ones are offsite to save thread space.

Ooh, those are both good ideas. I do not know how much chatter to expect but since it's a 2-headed LP with 2 peoples' worth of updates I'm gonna guess we'll have a bunch of images per page. So a solution like one of these is probably prudent.

Pardon me but what is SSLP? I made a test page for ours but it's just on my own subdomain, is there like a devoted site for test pages? At this point I might just build an entire devoted site and just link every update, even though that'll make the thread pretty boring looking.

Quackles posted:

My web browser on my laptop sure won't scale it, so I'll have to scroll from side to side.

Dang, okay then. Very very glad I learned all this before we actually started.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

SSLP just stands for ScreenShot Let's Play. But specifically in that context it's referring to the LPix test poster (with its URL being "sslptest", hence where that came from) where you can put your updates and link them.

However, in this day and age, I don't think there's a big problem with just posting updates straight up on the forums, even if it's multiple per page, as long as the images compress nicely. We're far removed from "56K no" days.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

TheMcD posted:

SSLP just stands for ScreenShot Let's Play. But specifically in that context it's referring to the LPix test poster (with its URL being "sslptest", hence where that came from) where you can put your updates and link them.

However, in this day and age, I don't think there's a big problem with just posting updates straight up on the forums, even if it's multiple per page, as long as the images compress nicely. We're far removed from "56K no" days.

Ah, thank you. That is a very useful tool I did not know about.

Right now I'm thinking we're just gonna figure out how to best compress to like, 854x480 or something like that, and post everything to the forums with a modicum of restraint, but I'll keep the off-site strategy in my pocket just in case.

-Edit- Oh this reminds me I also meant to ask, I've noticed people often link rather than embed youtube videos, is that for similar reasons? I seriously doubt we'll have more than one per page of those but still.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 25, 2021

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

TheMcD posted:

I've seen some LPs run into the character limit for the forums. I don't know what that is but it's pretty huge, I'm sure.
Those people usually use the test poster.

I can't imagine many people running into this problem but I wouldn't know, it's been over a decade since I last did a SSLP and that wasn't on SA.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

IGgy IGsen posted:

I've seen some LPs run into the character limit for the forums. I don't know what that is but it's pretty huge, I'm sure.

20,000 characters per post, I believe.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

ultrafilter posted:

20,000 characters per post, I believe.

In theory it's 50k, but in practise it's actually a bit less than that. Still more than enough for most posts.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
In practice, the upper limit is 44-45k. Maybe 46k at a stretch. Past that and the forums will start rejecting the update for being too long.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
In my experience, it's a little under 49k. How the forum counts characters versus how MS Word does it is also slightly off (by about 1-2k). So if your character count says 49k in Word, then the forums will often place it at 51k or 52k.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Those people usually use the test poster.

I do it basically all the time. How huge a 50k update actually is depends on how dialogue heavy it is. The more character head URLs you need, the smaller the update tends to be.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Character count is character count. Word uses a meaning of character count that isn't actually what character count means (it excludes space characters, tabs, and returns and the like), because it assumes you're an author and not a forums database. More technical text editors like Notepad++ will tell you the literal character count.

My favourite trick to "compress" an update is to use a regex search to trim everything but the numeric file identifier off of all LPix URLs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I make long updates and I am constantly straining against the character limit.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
At worst you can just cut your update in half and post them both in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fedule posted:

Character count is character count. Word uses a meaning of character count that isn't actually what character count means (it excludes space characters, tabs, and returns and the like), because it assumes you're an author and not a forums database. More technical text editors like Notepad++ will tell you the literal character count.

My favourite trick to "compress" an update is to use a regex search to trim everything but the numeric file identifier off of all LPix URLs.

I used notepad++ for that very reason. Can't tell you how many updates I started sweating when I'm hitting 30K characters and I haven't even added image tags yet.

Solitair posted:

At worst you can just cut your update in half and post them both in a row.

Just giving away the LP tricks :argh: