Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Do some practice questions on it if you haven't used Codility before. You want to make sure you know where everything you need is beforehand. Once you're familiar with the environment run through some questions and give yourself only the time you'd have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Is there a good repository of common interview questions? Ie Fizzbuzz, Balanced Parens, etc

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cracking the coding interview, or whatever it's called

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Is there a good repository of common interview questions? Ie Fizzbuzz, Balanced Parens, etc

leetcode.com

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
My friend recently graduated Flatiron Fullstack Bootcamp and is looking for

Front end (pref), backend, qa/sdet, or sre roles that are junior

-Ruby on rails
-ReactJS
-REST API's

Thanks!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
In the last few weeks I've seen a massive uptick in actual entry level jobs on linkedin, some of them even mention 'recent bootcamp grad' in the qualifications section. And none of them have hundreds of applicants. I've started making GBS threads resume's out like its the first week after presenting my final project.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m about to be done with week 2 of 14 in my boot camp and I’m really surprised about my progress. I guess it’s not that surprising given the hours I’ve put in it’s very weird to think that two weeks ago the concept of OOP seemed impossibly confusing to me. So glad I did this instead of my old entry level IT job.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Away all Goats posted:

Just got an interview invitation from a mid-size bank here in Canada. This will be my first ever job interview for a software engineering position.

As part of the interview process they want me to do a programming test prior to the interview with Codility.

Has anyone done one of these before? Any tips?

we use codility for code screens at work and i evaluate a lot of submissions. if you have any specific questions or concerns i can try to answer

it's basically like leetcode though. you'll get a question (or a few) and there'll be a button to test your solution against some test cases. there'll also be secret test cases hidden from you though that the reviewer will be able to see the results for, so don't take it for granted that just because your solution passed all the tests it's correct

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

i'm going to be doing my first paid relocation in January. Any tips? I've only ever moved in the "bring a few bags with you on the plane" and "buy poo poo you need when you get there" sort of way. Should I change my approach now that i have paid relocation? It doesn't seem that useful for me but maybe i'm missing something. thanks in advance

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

awesomeolion posted:

i'm going to be doing my first paid relocation in January. Any tips? I've only ever moved in the "bring a few bags with you on the plane" and "buy poo poo you need when you get there" sort of way. Should I change my approach now that i have paid relocation? It doesn't seem that useful for me but maybe i'm missing something. thanks in advance

If they give you enough for a full service move, it’s worth taking advantage, in my opinion. Much less stressful than doing it yourself and you don’t have to rebuy a bunch of stuff when you get to your new location.

One thing to keep in mind though is that it’s a taxable benefit (in the US, at least) so unless the company compensates for that, you won’t get the full amount they offered you.

e: If nothing else, at least use it to reimburse your travel expenses and the cost of getting rid of your old poo poo / breaking your lease a rent assistance / etc. that they might cover.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 18, 2021

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

awesomeolion posted:

Like chglcu kinda mentioned this depends on if they are just dropping a lump sum in your lap or if they’re facilitating/re-imbursing a full-service move.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Yeah, if they’re just unconditionally giving you money, do what you want. Every relocation I’ve ever been offered has been “use this on relocation expenses only or lose it” and rebuying things wasn’t reimbursable.

another edit: Also be aware of any clawback clause attached to the relocation. They might require paying back some or all of the assistance if you leave the company within x amount of time.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 18, 2021

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Alright thanks for the tips. It's through some third party moving company so I'll ask them for ways to make use of the money.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
How long until I won't be able to get an entry-level job slash any job in computer science because the market got flooded when everyone saw the dollar signs?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Just spam your resume at anything and maybe sacrifice a chicken or something. Dunno if it needs to be a whole chicken, I'm gonna try using a bone in thigh this weekend and will report back. Maybe Papa Legba will bless me with 3-5 yrs of work experience.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I applied to about 80 places before getting an offer.

Also goats work best.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
I got basically 0 traction by just apply to companies through the front door, and I easily applied to 100+. Had to do a lot of LinkedIn back-channeling to get anybody to give me the time of day. This was about a year ago and the market might be different even now (better?) but I don't think will ever be very easy to get in starting from scratch. I think there will always be a place for smart, capable people though - as long as you can trick somebody into actually talking to you.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
A good friend of mine just finished his Software Engineering bootcamp and has been applying to a lot of entry level / intern roles without any luck. I offered to help him take a look over his resume but realized that perhaps a regular business side resume that I'm more familiar with would be different than a typical tech one. He currently has his resume separated by "Skills", "Projects", and "Experience". Anything else I should keep in mind? Would also be great to see a sample resume as well!

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Oolb posted:

How long until I won't be able to get an entry-level job slash any job in computer science because the market got flooded when everyone saw the dollar signs?

You should expect slightly less than a 1% return on resumes sent.

I personally sent about a hundred a month with cover letters, I got 3 interviews, 1 turned into an offer.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Probably goes without saying, but if you have any contacts in the industry, don’t be afraid to use them. Knowing someone can sometimes help get eyes on a resume that normally wouldn’t get past initial screening.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Everyone should just befriend a guy in their bootcamp class who can put in a good word to get hired as an automated tester so you can get promoted/moved into a dev role like me, a big brain.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Welp 20 applications out in the last week, good ones that I'm actually qualified for, not just spamming. Got an auto reply from one which I guess is progress. Wasn't even getting that before

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

chglcu posted:

Probably goes without saying, but if you have any contacts in the industry, don’t be afraid to use them. Knowing someone can sometimes help get eyes on a resume that normally wouldn’t get past initial screening.

This, 1000 times

Pre covid, even if you hate hanging out with coworkers, etc, referrals are always the top way to move across/up in your career, not to mention you'll have much stronger negotiating power to get top of band if you come in on a strong recommendation

Meetup almost always has some developer thing with beer and pizza in most major cities, it's good to go to those and pass out your card and collect others, add them on linkedin etc

I've been pretty lucky for an asocial nerd, but every job I've ever had except two, I came in on a referral. It's not what you know, it's who you know

Just getting those LinkedIn contacts, you'll see their contacts who are talking about having open positions, even those lukewarm introductions in a lot of cases can get you moved up to the top of the pile

Also go look at the job boards here on SA, I've posted several things now, usually I get two or three bites, but for some postings nobody even responded. We probably could have hired same day and nobody responded so we lost the open req to another team :shrug: the best hire I ever had was a goon, so I'm inclined to hire (or help hire) more in the future

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 20, 2021

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
How bullshit is r/cscareerquestions?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oolb posted:

Nobody will ever agree on anything there. It's actually entertaining to read sometimes. They'll have a bunch of extremely differing opinions about simple questions like "What's it like to work for x company?" to the point where it's hard to get a consensus.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Inbound applications are flooded with wildly unqualified candidates (everyone wants to make figgies), so the signal to noise ratio is really bad. Networking is by far the best way, but with how high demand for engineers is, even posting here is going to get you some interest. For example, my org is hiring 9 folks right now so PM me if you want more details. Worst case I'll give you some feedback on your resume.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'll be ready to look for jobs in a couple of weeks -- I'm in the middle of a collaborative project now and I have to finish up my remade portfolio. Then I'll, well, have a portfolio I like and have a solid collaborative application to show.

I'm really glad to have this thread, it would be cool to work with goons!

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Oolb posted:

It's fun to read a lot of useless advice.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It has the obvious problem of that a lot of the people answering questions are students regurgitating advice they got, sometimes filtered to the advice that said the things they wanted to hear. It is a lot less awful than it could easily be, though.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Plorkyeran posted:

a lot of the people answering questions are students
That's mostly the problem.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
So a few months back I managed to successfully transfer internally in my company from other engineering to software engineering, and I’m already at a point where I hate it. The group I moved into supports hardware testing tools and has very little active development. I basically just debug little issues that crop up on these tools and then move on to the next one that needs fixing or improvements. On the one hand, debugging code in an unfamiliar language is a great way to learn it, but on the other hand, using IDEs and coding languages from literally 15+ years ago is incredibly frustrating. I don’t want to say I’m “above” this job, but I already feel like there is no challenge behind it and there is no room to grow in this role.

I suppose I am partially venting, but I’m also wondering if anyone has any general advice on how to quickly move on to the next thing? My work, education, and volunteering history would show that I’m obviously very capable, incredibly eager, and a quick learner (I’ve picked up C++ and Matlab pretty well in the month I’ve been here), but I’m sure my “actual” software experience is still far too lacking to get the time of day on any job applications.

I also got rejected from Georgia Tech’s MS program this week since my BS degree plan didn’t include enough CS related classes in it… I’ve done most of Harvard’s CS50 course, but as far as “continuing education” goes I’m also a little lost there for the time being.

wins32767 posted:

Inbound applications are flooded with wildly unqualified candidates (everyone wants to make figgies), so the signal to noise ratio is really bad. Networking is by far the best way, but with how high demand for engineers is, even posting here is going to get you some interest. For example, my org is hiring 9 folks right now so PM me if you want more details. Worst case I'll give you some feedback on your resume.

Do you happen to have an alternative contact method? I don’t have PM but am interested!

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 29, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Most software development is unglamorous toil

I'm currently procrastinating importing a bunch of existing infrastructure into terraform which is about the most :smithicide: task I can think of. Yours doesn't sound too far behind

Every shop has a group like the one you describe. If you're coming in as the FNG (loving new guy) makes sense to throw you to the wolves into a group with very high turnover rate to backfill the last guy who left enraged for the same reasons as you. If I got "stuck" with you as headcount, an inexperienced developer, I'd probably dump you in the hellscape group too. It's an awful pattern but the spice must flow

Befriend the people in the other groups, offer to pick up a couple tickets in your spare time, then after a month of above average productivity, jump ship to their group?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Most software development is unglamorous toil

I'm currently procrastinating importing a bunch of existing infrastructure into terraform which is about the most :smithicide: task I can think of. Yours doesn't sound too far behind

Every shop has a group like the one you describe. If you're coming in as the FNG (loving new guy) makes sense to throw you to the wolves into a group with very high turnover rate to backfill the last guy who left enraged for the same reasons as you. If I got "stuck" with you as headcount, an inexperienced developer, I'd probably dump you in the hellscape group too. It's an awful pattern but the spice must flow

Befriend the people in the other groups, offer to pick up a couple tickets in your spare time, then after a month of above average productivity, jump ship to their group?

It doesn’t really work that way here… I work for a shadowy defense company that requires special permission to do specific work on specific things. The only people I can really even regularly meet with are other people without clearances who work with me in this group. Best case scenario, I can move to a new group once my permissions clear… in about a year or so, if not longer. On top of that, I really wanted to leave this company prior to my transfer, but I got suckered into staying due to the convenient in-route to software engineering.

I probably wouldn’t be so frustrated if there was a clear and visible path to the next best thing, but out of all the other new hires, I’m also the only one whose job title is inherently linked to this group and this kind of work. All signs point to “this is your life here.”

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are they actively processing your clearance, or is it a "someday... maybe" kind of situation

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
It IS actively being processed, but there is another one that has to be done after that too. The total cycle can be well over a year. In the mean time I am stuck in a call-centeresque cube farm with no windows or work from home options. It’s just like every aspect of this is pretty lovely, it would be really hard to keep myself motivated through the entire process.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tangentially related but this shadowy defense contractor stuff reminds me of a story

This metal worker is at the naval shipyard and he gets assigned to do plasma cutting work on this nuclear powered submarine, and so he's nervous, doesn't want to accidentally cut through the nuclear reactor and asks what's behind the panel he's cutting into. His manager says it's a need to know basis due to national security etc

Well after like two weeks of government run around turns out the other side of where he's cutting is the toilet area, they're replacing one of the speciality high pressure pumps in there due to the extreme depths they can go to

Anyways, now you've got me imagining that you're debugging the firmware on the nuclear sub high pressure toilet diagnostic tool, which yeah sounds like a lovely job

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah many moons ago my dad had to get a secret clearance at a defence contractor, but they wouldn't let him work on any projects, but he couldn't stay home either (this was before the internet was useful) so he'd commute an hour to sit in a room and read a book for 6 hours, then drive home. He complained about it a lot. At least you're getting valid work experience, even if it makes your eyes bleed

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah, don’t get me wrong… I’m definitely glad to be in this job vs my old one, where I had gotten stuck and stagnated for like three years straight. But now I’m just afraid I’ve already hit that same wall here… I can’t even develop further skills or little side projects in the off/slow time because my work has to be done in a room on its own network without internet access… and all the tools and frameworks are super outdated. I can’t imagine I’d learn much for any future jobs by tooling around in VS2008, right?

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 29, 2021

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you have experience and you're bored then apply for other jobs that you think won't be boring. It would be best to have at least a year of experience, but you can probably make it work without that in the current job market.

Higher education in CS is generally not worth it unless you plan to do it while working or are trying to go into very specific specialties that require it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Gin_Rummy posted:

Do you happen to have an alternative contact method? I don’t have PM but am interested!

Username @ gmail works!