Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Bandire posted:

Verizon can just mail you a 5g sim if you contact support. When I got my 5 last year, they shipped it with a 4g sim for some reason, so I had to request a 5g one. It was mostly painless.

If it's not one of theirs, the system won't let them ship one. You'll have to go to the store unless things have changed recently. This is why my wife's Pixel 5 has the SIM from her P3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My 6 Pro just shipped so hopefully see it Thursday (I live in the Midwest so I'm not expecting to see it in a few days). Buds just arrived and having never used wireless buds these are pretty sweet. Test driving them with the new ETID.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

If it's not one of theirs, the system won't let them ship one. You'll have to go to the store unless things have changed recently. This is why my wife's Pixel 5 has the SIM from her P3.

yeah, i assume this is due to sim swapping becoming such a pain in the rear end. wouldn’t surprise me.
heads up if anyone does need to go to a store: you absolutely have to wait in line (assuming there is one) and it will take forever if there’s like four people ahead of you who want to argue about a bill for 25 minutes before painstakingly deciding what they want to upgrade to.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah it's already Tuesday at 2pm here, was told it was going to arrive today and there's no chance now.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah it's already Tuesday at 2pm here, was told it was going to arrive today and there's no chance now.

Seriously, why is FedEx such loving trash? Got Dread a day late, which prompted a trip to Target on release day to buy a second copy. Returned the delivered copy (with mug!) out of spite once it came and kept the Target one.

Not looking forward to this disappointment whenever google ships my phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My buddy who ordered like 30 seconds in, just got his shipment noticed. In Canada, it ships from Markham via UPS, fyi to any other northerners.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've had some issues with my card getting declined in the Google Store due to ordering from outside the region, while it seems to be fixed now I'm still unsure. Has anyone had a payment declined or order cancelled after they lost the ability to edit the order?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I'm having an issue that Google tried to pull in the 899€ from my bank account twice (instead of just using the hold they put on my card via GPay last Tuesday). This being end of month I didn't have enough money on there for the transfer to go through and am now being threatened with my order being canceled. I talked to Google and my bank (time being spent getting this phone now adding up to around 5 hours) and both blamed the other party, which is just amazing. The hold, btw, will be lifted unused on October 31st.

I had to ask my wife to wire me 899€ that should settle things today, but come on. What kind of user experience is this?

Still looking forward to the phone. The reviews being so great are getting me hyped up pretty good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

another thing i just noticed, that you can actually see if you go back and watch my video, is that when i press the power button to lock the phone, the battery percent is either present at the bottom or it's not. when it is present, pressing the fingerprint sensor fully unlocks the phone, but when the battery percent is not present, pressing the fingerprint sensor simply "wakes" the screen. it would seem like the phone is reacting to getting powered off via the power button to two separate "lock" states somehow.

I think you're on to something here. Like the lack of the battery indicator shows that the lockscreen isn't fully drawn yet so attempting to unlock it just wakes it instead since it isn't actually fully locked.

I watched the video but couldn't tell, if you get it into that state and wait does the percentage eventually show up on its own? If so does it then behave properly?

FWIW I couldn't replicate it but having face unlock I didn't think it'd be possible anyway. I do think you have a bug though and I'd probably try a factory reset or at least start it in safe mode to see if the behavior remains. I haven't seen a lot of hosed up updates in years but anything's possible.

Edit:

These reviews talking about the in-display fingerprint sensor are making me cling to my Pixel 4 XL even harder. I seriously do not want to give up face unlock but I'm even less interested in doing so for a fingerprint sensor less responsive than a standard one. Both of course would be bee's knees. (Also all the other stuff the face unlock sensor suite enabled like waking up as you reach for the phone and Ambient EQ for color tones are genuinely Nice poo poo I like.)

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 26, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Seriously, why is FedEx such loving trash? Got Dread a day late, which prompted a trip to Target on release day to buy a second copy. Returned the delivered copy (with mug!) out of spite once it came and kept the Target one.

Not looking forward to this disappointment whenever google ships my phone.

Counterpoint: just loving relax. It's not a life saving organ.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

These reviews talking about the in-display fingerprint sensor are making me cling to my Pixel 4 XL even harder. I seriously do not want to give up face unlock but I'm even less interested in doing so for a fingerprint sensor less responsive than a standard one. Both of course would be bee's knees. (Also all the other stuff the face unlock sensor suite enabled like waking up as you reach for the phone and Ambient EQ for color tones are genuinely Nice poo poo I like.)

I'm not giving much stock in them because then they talk about the Samsung sensors being instant when they are phone smashing frustrating in reality.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

I'm not giving much stock in them because then they talk about the Samsung sensors being instant when they are phone smashing frustrating in reality.

On my Galaxy S7 back in the day, I might as well have tried to unlock my phone by paying to god instead of the fingerprint sensor. What a load of bollocks.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I think somebody may be walking it from California to Indiana. :ohdear:

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

Google really needs to do something about the European availability of its phones if it wants to become a major player like Samsung and Apple.

If you're not in France or Germany (or the UK but they're not in the EU anymore) there's no way to buy the phone unless you use a parcel forwarding service, and not many people know/want to deal with something like that. Plus the extra cost of shipping to your country.

In contrast all new Samsung and iPhones are available at your local retailer and more often than not get special offers and promotions.

Also the pro hasn't been available to preorder for a few days now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm fine with the side mounted sensor on my Z Flip 3 and Z Fold 3, but the ultrasonic sensor in my S21 Ultra is one of the primary reasons why I haven't used it much. Given the zoom performance of the Pixel 6 Pro, even against the dedicated 10x on the Ultra, I don't think I'll have much reason to keep it around after this week.

Still tempted to keep hold of it for trade if the rumors of the S22 Ultra basically being a Note, but I don't see myself really having a compelling reason to play with that either.

I do know I'm basically done with OnePlus as there's just not really anything that they are going to offer that's an effective lure and I'm not too jazzed about everything being ColorOS based even if that means better support. They were big phone alternative that wasn't running OneUI and had decent enough cameras, but tossing a SD898 (or whatever) in the 10 Pro isn't going to be enough to justify as an alternative to the Pixel 6 Pro at even the same price (which would be a reduction in OnePlus's case)

Flagship level Google hardware changes a LOT on the field at these prices. The Pixel 6 non-pro changes things dramatically. There's nothing else for $599 that comes close. S21 FE if it ever comes out? Likely not unless it drops in price for this year since it started at $699 last year. OnePlus is fielding plastic frames and cameras with no OIS at this price point. Samsung's only real advantage here is aggressive carrier deals and it looks like Google may be countering to a certain extent.

Interesting stuff ahead.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pixel 6a is the one to watch out for.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Pixel 6 mini is the one i want

e: pixel 6 currently cheaper than a refurbished pixel 5 at best buy. drop that price already

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 26, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't know, it depends on if Google wants to pull an apple standardize on the same processor across their whole lineup or keep with Qualcomm for the cheaper models.

If they put tensor in the 6a and just cut other stuff, it would be amazing. Maybe they'll go with the approach of last year's tensor on the 'a' series.

It becomes a tricky situation since as more and more of the Pixel software needs accelerated by the ML co-processor, the less likely they can go with Qualcomm and keep the "Pixel Experience." It becomes a confusing marketing message to say "well, voice to text on the new 6a won't operate quite the same way as the 6 because it doesn't have a bit of hardware in it."

I suppose they could make a cut down tensor that scales back the main compute parts while retaining the ML stuff, but again that marketing gets murky because you can't just say that the phone is powered by tensor because it's a different version.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

FogHelmut posted:

Pixel 6a is the one to watch out for.

I was thinking about this yesterday, the 6 is already so aggressively priced will they even have a 6a? There's only a $150 difference in the 5a and 6, I feel like a 6a would have to be $350 if it gets made at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There are buyers at every $100 price point. It's just a matter of how Google wants to differentiate their products.

There are a lot more questions than price. Do they use the same design language? What would that look like with cheaper materials? Do they even want to do that because it could potentially cheapen the brand identity or is it an acceptable tradeoff to get people to identify pixel devices on sight?

Do they cut hardware features or software features (or both).

I would like to see a $400 6a that is basically a slightly smaller 6 with a plastic body and a smaller 12mp sensor for the main camera and keep the same UW.

Same tensor, same 90hz refresh, wireless charging (maybe at a lower rate) maybe make it a bit thicker and stick a 5000mAh battery in it because the target audience really doesn't like charging often and won't need to often because they don't use their phone as much.

That gets you the same pixel experience while providing enough carrots to upgrade to the $599 device if you value something a bit more premium.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Only consistent weirdness I'm seeing in 12 is, when I first unlock my phone and pull down the notification shade, it goes down all the way to show me settings rather than notifications. Just the first time after unlock, it behaves normally after that. I honestly suspect Nova shenanigans rather than Android there, though, and it's not annoying enough to really bother me much.

Well, and my bank app no longer sends notifications, but that could well be them breaking something when they redesigned the UI for no drat reason again or a stray permission reset or something. (Those should all be sorted already but you know how it is.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

docbeard posted:

Only consistent weirdness I'm seeing in 12 is, when I first unlock my phone and pull down the notification shade, it goes down all the way to show me settings rather than notifications. Just the first time after unlock, it behaves normally after that. I honestly suspect Nova shenanigans rather than Android there, though, and it's not annoying enough to really bother me much.

I see that occasionally too. Not every time. Definitely a bug there of some kind. No Nova here, all stock Pixel 5.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Awesome, Google apparently canceled my order according to the bank but not according to the order page on the Google store but yes according to the email Google sent. No text chat available, I have to wait several hours for Google to call me back.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Where's the charging coil on the regular 6? I'm excited to finally have a wireless charging phone but I have a magnetic mount in my car so I need to figure out if there's a place I can attach a metal plate or if I need to swap to another mount.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Tagichatn posted:

Awesome, Google apparently canceled my order according to the bank but not according to the order page on the Google store but yes according to the email Google sent. No text chat available, I have to wait several hours for Google to call me back.

This happened to me. Order page still says it's coming and I'm on pixel pass apparently. The expected delivery date changed too. I'm just gonna let it ride.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Tracking info online for my 6 Pro. It'sHappeningDotGIF

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Every additional second Google doesn't ship me my phone (10/29 - 10/30) they are enormous cowards

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My friend who ordered like 10 min after me got hers shipped just now and I'm sitting here like a god drat CHUMP refreshing my order status

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Posting from my 6 Pro :smugdon:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rebus posted:

HOW IS IT?!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I say we beat them up and take their phone. Who's with me?!?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm just in FedEx hell right now because it's supposed to be here tomorrow but it's been sitting in the FedEx Depot in Carol Stream IL for the past 25 hours so I'm getting doubtful.

I'm amused that reviewers suddenly give a poo poo about macro mode now that the iPhone has it. The Android Central review points out (with examples) that you can achieve the exact same (if not better) results with the 4x zoom camera.

https://youtu.be/upTcgjHh890

About 11:39 in.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rebus posted:

:same: I kinda thought the black was going to be darker than this.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
:woop: shipping notification. If it ships from the same warehouse that the buds came from, I should see it Thursday.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rebus posted:

:qq:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Tim Whatley posted:

Every additional second Google doesn't ship me my phone (10/29 - 10/30) they are enormous cowards

Update. They are no longer cowards just 45 minutes later.

Point being this thread is clearly some direct line to Google, so I recommend insulting them ITT and you will get a shipping notification.

jacksonchan
Jun 29, 2005

My 6 pro got delivered before work, so I've been slacking all morning getting it all set up. I really like it, it's smaller than I thought it would be (I'm coming from a Pixel 4xl), narrower and a little bit taller, which makes it easier to operate one handed than the 4xl. Haven't had a chance to play around with the camera. The voice typing is pretty amazing, works as quickly as I'm talking. It feels very snappy and responsive, overall very impressed!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Going back to Android 12 chat for a bit, is the Google Play Games "you've signed in" banner (or whatever it's called) popping up for anyone else almost every time you go back to a game, regardless of whether or not the game has to reload?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

Going back to Android 12 chat for a bit, is the Google Play Games "you've signed in" banner (or whatever it's called) popping up for anyone else almost every time you go back to a game, regardless of whether or not the game has to reload?

I'm running Android 11 last updated October 2020 and that's been happening for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Uthor posted:

I'm running Android 11 last updated October 2020 and that's been happening for months.

Ugh. At least I'm not alone.