Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

are the libs prisoners or soldiers in this scenario?
Guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/NationCymru/status/1452271059269472257

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At least he didn't accuse them of spreading poo poo.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Catrin (with whom he had the twitter spat) is a friend of mine :D She's a good egg.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I know it's the tories and it's all a grift. It's more about creating an indentured servitude class like the black mirror episode with the treadmills than it is about helping prisoners break the cycle. If you can get a job while being a criminal let's make more criminals. Etc etc.

However regardless of that I still massively want criminal justice reform and all the people online crowing about the 'gall' of prisoners being offered jobs, as if once you do a crime you're not human anymore, really does gently caress me off.

It's the same lovely people who screamed on my local Facebook to call 999 at some local kids playing knock and run and nicking a wheelie bin. Yell about them being scroats and demand life altering incarceration for them also nicking a "pink spider and a skeleton from a garden"

It was a cool skeleton. But they put it in the wheelie bin with the spider for a hat on the lawn of the person who was screaming about calling the cops to their school (which they did last week too). Which was loving funny as they're now yelling about death threats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When I wuz a kid we played outside all the kids do nowadays is charge they phone, be bisexual and lie.

Also stop loving being outside you horrible yooths I will call the cops on you.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1452703768877862916

A 4th? That's good, because Insulate Britain sit in junctions....

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Huh. Wikipedia is giving false information.

Re Bus Factor:

An even earlier example from 1988 ish is when yours truly who was the only person working on a particular extremely large project had a file on her desk entitled "Run Over By A Bus" file where my innermost secrets of how to do the job were kept with regularly updated notes.

I always remember my mate turning to me as we walked to the bus stop to go to school and saying "You know what? Can't be bothered" and stepping out directly into the path of a bus.

Now admittedly it had only just pulled away from the stop and he cushioned the impact by pushing off the bumper with his foot but he still got thrown a couple of feet and landed on his arse. Laying in the road he pointed to me and said "Right, you're my witness - I just got hit by a loving bus, tell them I'm not coming in" before stepping up, dusting himself off, giving a merry wave to the (somewhat animated) driver of the bus, and sauntering off towards home.

The only reaction from my form teacher when I passed on the news was "Well, I hope he was wearing clean underwear" - in fairness he was the type of kid who was as likely to step out in front of a bus on a whim as he was to lie about it to get a day off school.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Current status:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"You know what? Can't be bothered" and stepping out directly into the path of a bus.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I always remember my mate turning to me as we walked to the bus stop to go to school and saying "You know what? Can't be bothered" and stepping out directly into the path of a bus.

Now admittedly it had only just pulled away from the stop and he cushioned the impact by pushing off the bumper with his foot but he still got thrown a couple of feet and landed on his arse. Laying in the road he pointed to me and said "Right, you're my witness - I just got hit by a loving bus, tell them I'm not coming in" before stepping up, dusting himself off, giving a merry wave to the (somewhat animated) driver of the bus, and sauntering off towards home.

The only reaction from my form teacher when I passed on the news was "Well, I hope he was wearing clean underwear" - in fairness he was the type of kid who was as likely to step out in front of a bus on a whim as he was to lie about it to get a day off school.

Never understood that 'clean underwear' thing because for sure if you get in the sort of accident which ends up with medics looking at your knickers, they aren't going to be in any sort of fit state regardless of how clean they were when you set off on your day's activities.

Your mate was stupid. I got knocked by a car about 5 years ago (luckily it was going slow) because I was stewing in anger over something and not looking where I was going. Entirely my fault. Luckily apart from a bruised elbow I was ok. The driver was extremely shaken though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I got hit by a car as a kid. Totally my fault, was out racing bikes with friends, didn't look as I crossed the main road & I t-boned a car (at least that's how I think it happened, I have no recollection between listening but not looking at the junction & waking up lying on the road. Apparently did a very impressive somersault over the bonnet). My left leg was just a big bruise for 2 months afterwards. Somehow I got away with a chipped tooth & the world's worst dead leg but it totalled my bike which must've been less than 6 months old, that was a gutter.

Got out of school sports day so it wasn't all bad.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I rode my bike full-tilt into a van that had pulled out while I was looking sideways to chat to my friend on his bike, fortunately the driver saw me and hit the brakes in time so I clattered into him but he was down to about 1 mph at that point. Which was lucky because my own velocity was quite sufficient to wipe me the gently caress out lmao. My mate ran home to fetch my granny but, being as this was Norn Iron, he knew what the bigger issue was - he assured her, presumably to defend me from getting a hiding, "don't be worrying the bike's alright".

Had mega bruising but nothing worse.

e; ^ Hah! Nice timing on our "accident on a bike" stories

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OwlFancier posted:

Crossposting because I know there are some anorak-adjacent people ITT.
I was so wrapped up in this guys pure infectious joy about the train that when the name came it loving slayed me.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Running out in traffic can be lucrative and I wonder if your mate with the bus ever went pro.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

I was so wrapped up in this guys pure infectious joy about the train that when the name came it loving slayed me.

I know right it's great, the weird alien head cam helps too.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1452784527898722306

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Invade the UK, Biden, there's nothing but upsides

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RussInCheshire/status/1452635424992682001

I initially misread the second tweet as the EU rightfully banning UK water due to the piss and faeces, but no, we are going to banning EU mineral water to promote our... <checks notes>.... toilet water.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Kay Burley briefly trended. This basically summed up what most people were saying

https://twitter.com/KatharineMcGu13/status/1452897708797222913

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 26, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/RussInCheshire/status/1452635424992682001

I initially misread the second tweet as the EU rightfully banning UK water due to the piss and faeces, but no, we are going to banning EU mineral water to promote our... <checks notes>.... toilet water.

I don't think the government is banning Evian or whatever, just that anyone importing mineral water needs to be recertified from January.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't think the government is banning Evian or whatever, just that anyone importing mineral water needs to be recertified from January.

Yeah will only really affect the niche fancy mineral water drinkers out there, volvic will still be available.

Or the tap if you live in Scotland.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bottled water is pretty dumb at the best of times, importing it from different countries is even worse, a ban on Evian would actually be good imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The only justification for bottled water is where it works out much cheaper to make mains water good enough for washing and bathing and watering your vegetables but it's not exactly potable.

And in those cases it's usually glass carboys on a bottle return basis at the local store rather than branded 'spring' waters in small plastic bottles.

And also not usually the goal for a developed country but we'll get there :marc:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mr Phillby posted:

He’s absolutely adorable, his whole TikTok is great. I do hope he doesn’t turn out to be a bit. (I don’t think he is)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I would laugh but this is basically me at my wfh job the past year.

https://twitter.com/jennifermjones/status/1452912980241289223?t=KUutM1VyiZRapivea4r9qQ

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Maybe in return we can get that spy wife lady that drove on the wrong side of the road and killed a young motorcyclist before scarpering under dubious diplomatic immunity.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Maybe in return we can get that spy wife lady that drove on the wrong side of the road and killed a young motorcyclist before scarpering under dubious diplomatic immunity.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

Crossposting because I know there are some anorak-adjacent people ITT.

Lol what I wouldn't do to feel about anything the way this lad feels about trains :unsmith:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I must unfortunately inform everyone that Prince Andrew, Duke of York, KG, GCVO, CD, ADC(P) has suddenly died of Covid.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This implies that we don't want to give them Prince Andrew though.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lmao British security services are going to outsource their data storage to Amazon.

https://twitter.com/MattGarrahan/status/1452745973277528066?t=gHpSelZzXxqqZ9rwOdhohg

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

sebzilla posted:

Bottled water is pretty dumb at the best of times

I used to agree with this then I moved to London for several months

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I got hit by a car as a kid. Totally my fault, was out racing bikes with friends, didn't look as I crossed the main road & I t-boned a car (at least that's how I think it happened, I have no recollection between listening but not looking at the junction & waking up lying on the road. Apparently did a very impressive somersault over the bonnet). My left leg was just a big bruise for 2 months afterwards. Somehow I got away with a chipped tooth & the world's worst dead leg but it totalled my bike which must've been less than 6 months old, that was a gutter.

Got out of school sports day so it wasn't all bad.

Worst I've had was getting ploughed under by someone riding a bike in freshers' week at uni, which made for some impressive bruises. Knock on wood, I've never been hit by something with an internal combustion engine.

I get bottled water because my wife is boogie, but it is handy in that it has a top on it so the cat can't knock it over/try and shove his face into it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

feedmegin posted:

Worst I've had was getting ploughed under by someone riding a bike in freshers' week at uni, which made for some impressive bruises. Knock on wood, I've never been hit by something with an internal combustion engine.

I get bottled water because my wife is boogie, but it is handy in that it has a top on it so the cat can't knock it over/try and shove his face into it.

Can the cat operate the taps?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

An even earlier example from 1988 ish is when yours truly who was the only person working on a particular extremely large project had a file on her desk entitled "Run Over By A Bus" file where my innermost secrets of how to do the job were kept with regularly updated notes.

I had to write up an enormous wiki when I left my job at Sophos which was basically 'the care and maintenance of ancient commercial Unix machines' since I was the only bugger who knew how to do that, company wide, there.

Didn't stop various recruiters sending me job offers for months after for what was very clearly my old job; they can't have had much luck because a few months later Sophos dropped support for HP-UX (the most obscure of the three commercial Unixes we supported) altogether.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can the cat operate the taps?

Wouldn't put it past him, but I don't normally drink directly from the tap myself, I prefer to put tap water in a glass ;p

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

feedmegin posted:

Can I recommend buying a reusable water bottle with a cat-proof cap?

cyril sneeeer
May 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
I have suddenly found 180mg codeine. Drugs I didnt know I had. They tasted bitter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sebzilla posted:

Can I recommend buying a reusable water bottle with a cat-proof cap?

I mean you can but my wife is still going to make me buy bottled water, sooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A cat, a wife, and a bottle of water are on one side of the river, your boat can only carry one at a time