Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I appreciate all the info and opinions on Dune, I just couldn’t make myself care about the movie. It’s just kind of felt like it was trying to scream look how important this is and it’s not.

Funny enough you guys mention world building, I’ve actually enjoyed reading lore books or dumps, or encyclopedias about fictional worlds, sometimes more then reading the main text or playing the game.

This might sound weird. But if you like world building and lore I 1000% recommend just buying the destiny grimoire books (hard bound, awesome hand drawn art scattered throughout, only $19.99). You only need the most cursory Wikipedia synopsis of the plot before diving in, and they are just amazing things to read. They are better than the game. Deep, dark, complicated, and go everywhere. Especially the book of sorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Coincidentally, I dropped out as a HS junior, so I dodged that bullet. That was 20+ years ago, when you could take the GED at 16 in Tennessee. Didn't matter. I wound up taking it later and joining anyhow, but I got to take the asvab at MEPS on a computer.

So glad to not live in TN anymore.

:smith: :respek: :smith:

I hear ya. I was born and raised there from 1984 - 2002. But I tried to move back in 2015 and only made it a few months into 2017 before fleeing the loving place. Portland, Oregon is so much better.

Nashville turned lovely.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I got to Nashville in '99, left TN in 2016. They've gentrified that place into a Stepford city, indistinguishable from half the cities in the South.

I remember when Dickerson road was known for whores and drugs. No idea what they've turned it into, probably all rentals with facelifts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Prosperity gospel just rubs me the wrong way. Everything about it is in radical contrast to the teachings of the guy at the top of their religion. Joshua's message was unambiguous - you will gain the kingdom of heaven by immediately getting rid of all your worldly possessions and beginning service to the poor. Megachurches are full of giftshops, coffee shops, etc. while Josh would have tossed them on their rear end like he did with the money changers.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I appreciate all the info and opinions on Dune, I just couldn’t make myself care about the movie. It’s just kind of felt like it was trying to scream look how important this is and it’s not.

I’ve said it elsewhere but I think Dune (2021) will look even better in hindsight after the Part 2 is out. (a completely valid critique of releasing an “incomplete” movie)

Like, it immediately stops as soon as it gets to all the parts that show why Paul is important and how spice figures into everything, the Fremen, and how the Atreides/Harkonnen conflict resolves. All that showing would reinforce all the telling in Part 1.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I got to Nashville in '99, left TN in 2016. They've gentrified that place into a Stepford city, indistinguishable from half the cities in the South.

I remember when Dickerson road was known for whores and drugs. No idea what they've turned it into, probably all rentals with facelifts.

Nashville used to be a small city full of a combination of old money and working people, giving it a very unique feel. When I came back after college, my apartment in Green Hills was $825 a month split between a roommate and myself.

Now, it's a city full of high credit limits and McMansions. It reminded me of the extra silicone injected parts of Los Angeles with more religion. That same apartment I lived in? Over two grand now. It's pretty depressing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Thwomp posted:

I’ve said it elsewhere but I think Dune (2021) will look even better in hindsight after the Part 2 is out. (a completely valid critique of releasing an “incomplete” movie)

Absolutely this. 90% of the complaints are exactly the same as when Fellowship of the Ring was released.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

Prosperity gospel just rubs me the wrong way. Everything about it is in radical contrast to the teachings of the guy at the top of their religion. Joshua's message was unambiguous - you will gain the kingdom of heaven by immediately getting rid of all your worldly possessions and beginning service to the poor. Megachurches are full of giftshops, coffee shops, etc. while Josh would have tossed them on their rear end like he did with the money changers.

Yeah but the original gospel is crap too with teaching you to be content with your standing. It’s very compatible with slavery.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah but the original gospel is crap too with teaching you to be content with your standing. It’s very compatible with slavery.

Almost makes you wonder why religion was invented in the first place.

Matthew 6 is my favorite part of the gospel, because no american christian has read or understood it and they love trying to explain their way out of it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Well you see now if I turn the other cheek and be patient after I’m dead and no longer my masters problem I’ll get my reward.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Suicide is a crime though. No getting to your reward early.

Stupid death cult with suicide restrictions.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

Absolutely this. 90% of the complaints are exactly the same as when Fellowship of the Ring was released.

I’d say that Dune has less closure.

Fellowship had the movie arc of the group coming together, breaking apart, but the parts finding the courage and resolve to continue on. That was inside the larger, three movie arc of the quest to destroy the ring.

Dune really didn’t resolve much. Paul goes to Dune, Paul’s family is attacked and he is nearly killed, and he finds safety with the Fremen.

I really struggle with the structure of Dune 2021. It’s like if Star Wars ended after Obi-Wan dies and they escape the Death Star. What happens to the rebel cause? What happened to Obi-Wan? Where did the heroes end up going? What’ll happen to the Death Star? Will Luke get Justice for his father? What the deal with the Force? Why does this all matter?

I feel like I’m really pissing all over Dune. I liked a lot about it but I was left struggling for any resolution to the characters or plot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Crab Dad posted:

Suicide is a crime though. No getting to your reward early.

Stupid death cult with suicide restrictions.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/580534-i-dont-believe-in-god-can-you-understand-that-look

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Matthew 6 is my favorite part of the gospel, because no american christian has read or understood it and they love trying to explain their way out of it.

I mean this is pretty great. A lot of people could stand to live by that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thwomp posted:

I’d say that Dune has less closure.

Fellowship had the movie arc of the group coming together, breaking apart, but the parts finding the courage and resolve to continue on. That was inside the larger, three movie arc of the quest to destroy the ring.

Dune really didn’t resolve much. Paul goes to Dune, Paul’s family is attacked and he is nearly killed, and he finds safety with the Fremen.

I really struggle with the structure of Dune 2021. It’s like if Star Wars ended after Obi-Wan dies and they escape the Death Star. What happens to the rebel cause? What happened to Obi-Wan? Where did the heroes end up going? What’ll happen to the Death Star? Will Luke get Justice for his father? What the deal with the Force? Why does this all matter?

I feel like I’m really pissing all over Dune. I liked a lot about it but I was left struggling for any resolution to the characters or plot.

I really liked the film and I also agree with this. They could have just called it dune part 1 and it would have probably made it a little bit better but yeah the ending barely registers as an ending and it's not meant to be a self-contained story but it doesn't even try to be one which as is already been said here is going to be fine after the sequel is out but until then the movie leaves you feeling a little empty at the end.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I just think the funniest part is thatall of dune could have been avoided if Paul's mom had just had a girl instead of a boy but she wanted to give her husband a son instead of following the plan to bring peace to the problems between the two families. Granted i can't imagine being married to that murderous prick as notPaul but oh well continuing the glorious tradition of everything being the woman's fault who doesn't do what she's told started with Pandora.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 25, 2021

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Just remember that Ned Stark is Leto Atreides and it will all make sense.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Wait, a 15 year old, human evolution and a messiah? Get in the robot Shinji :getin:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Basically Eva but with a healthy father / son relationship

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Midjack posted:

I don't know who Butler is but I'm ready for his jihad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_among_the_Machines

""Darwin among the Machines" is an article published in The Press newspaper on 13 June 1863 in Christchurch, New Zealand, which references the work of Charles Darwin in the title. Written by Samuel Butler "

Dude from 1863 tried to loving warn us

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

That Works posted:

Basically Eva but with a healthy father / son relationship

In exchange, Shinji gets (more) mommy issues.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Captain Log posted:

Nashville used to be a small city full of a combination of old money and working people, giving it a very unique feel. When I came back after college, my apartment in Green Hills was $825 a month split between a roommate and myself.

Now, it's a city full of high credit limits and McMansions. It reminded me of the extra silicone injected parts of Los Angeles with more religion. That same apartment I lived in? Over two grand now. It's pretty depressing.

Robbie Fulks wrote "gently caress this town" as an ode to Nashville in 1997 and updated it a couple of years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVxTZ3Bnnqo

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oh yeah, Matthew 19:23-26 is another big one, about the camel and the eye of the needle meaning rich people can't get into heaven. It's very black and white and a neutral person would conclude wealthy people aren't following Christian doctrine, and it's interesting to sometimes read about rich historical figures giving up their money in response.

In modern times well you see, Jesus was making a joke! He was just having fun. Or he meant to refer to a small alleyway in Jerusalem called the needle and maybe you couldn't load the camel with tons of gold and get through but no worries if those side bags are packed with a reasonable amount of gold bars. Anyway, we're buying another building so gonna need our top tier donors to dig deep.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

At least it'll get easier to read the original Dune in NZ. You can get heretics of dune or the big shiny books by other people for about $1/m but I've never, ever seen the original anywhere.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Blind Rasputin posted:

As soon as the movie ended my wife, in a full theater still quietly in the afterglow of awesomeness, loudly bemoanes, “Bene Gessewhat??” I lolled. My wife is rad.

I started reading Dune on the plane today and already get this one :v:

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I've only read the first one, and to my mind the writing style really hasn't aged very gracefully. Lots of Disney movie villain dialogue like "Yes, it is I, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, who came up with this devious plan!" which presumably sounded a lot less cringey back when the first novel came out in the 60's.

:lol: this one too

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the book, but it definitely has its idiosyncrasies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Basticle posted:

I got the J&J vaccine in April, only had some minor aches and joint pains,nothing some Advil couldn't take care of. I'm getting the Moderna booster Wednesday, should I expect it to kick my rear end?

No.

This is from the NIH study that CDC cited in issuing approval of mix & match boosters:

Look at the center left chart. The Moderna booster had zero recorded severe symptoms for J&J recipients. It’s a small study, only fifty‐three people with that combination, but Moderna booster now being offered is half the dose and ought to be less likely to give you grief.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mildly interesting thread

https://twitter.com/goranmuric/status/1452702795266596866?s=20

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Dune is a great book for people who don't like watching movies. Adapting it in a post-Marvel world is missing at least some of the point by definition before you even roll. That said I enjoy both movies and all six of the books.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I love the OG Dune book, but Dune 2 was also one of the first games I ever got into as a kid, which probably made me biased. I had no idea the movie was gonna be 2 parts and lol also it's not getting released here in NZ til December for some insane reason.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

After seeing this new Dune movie, I think you can make a dune movie in one of two ways. The 1984 way, where it’s 3 hours and cuts out tons of lore and substance for the more actiony plot beats. Or the 2021 way where it’s true to the book but that makes it 6 hours, so it’s in two parts. In the new movie’s defense, during the opening credits it’s literally titled “Dune: part one.” But both my wife and I thought that final scene and line of the movie where someone says, “this is just the beginning!” was an extremely dumb and bad way to cut it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Blind Rasputin posted:

After seeing this new Dune movie, I think you can make a dune movie in one of two ways. The 1984 way, where it’s 3 hours and cuts out tons of lore and substance for the more actiony plot beats. Or the 2021 way where it’s true to the book but that makes it 6 hours, so it’s in two parts. In the new movie’s defense, during the opening credits it’s literally titled “Dune: part one.” But both my wife and I thought that final scene and line of the movie where someone says, “this is just the beginning!” was an extremely dumb and bad way to cut it.

yeah, and it was also "History of the World: Part 1"

that one even had a teaser trailer!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I think a lot of people forget that nobody actually knows how many parts there are to “history of the world” because the amount of history there is to tell keeps changing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

yeah, and it was also "History of the World: Part 1"

that one even had a teaser trailer!

I look forward to part 2 being 2 hours of hitler on ice.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Matthew 5:29 is a lot of fun to throw back at the dress code types.

If your eye leads you to sin, pluck it out and cast it away.

"Oh, she's dressed like a hoe? Sounds like a you problem bro, so sayeth the lord :dealwithit:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think a lot of people forget that nobody actually knows how many parts there are to “history of the world” because the amount of history there is to tell keeps changing.

I survived The End Of History and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Crab Dad posted:

Absent fathers is the only decent answer. The rest…. Yeeeesh.

"Absent fathers" was a popular racist dogwhistle coded to mean "incarcerated black males" dating back to Bush the First or possibly Reagan, I forget which.

Just in case you thought there was anything redeeming on that list!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/cix_eria/status/1452788972795613187?t=YQzUMjPcxZOm-iAj1uG_JQ&s=19

I know the part about Dune being a fusion of American conservationism with critiques of Big Oil, European Feudalism and white saviour stories but I didn't know that a lot of the Fremen is lifted wholesale from the Islamic forces in the Caucasus resisting Imperial Russian encroachment.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kesper North posted:

"Absent fathers" was a popular racist dogwhistle coded to mean "incarcerated black males" dating back to Bush the First or possibly Reagan, I forget which.

Just in case you thought there was anything redeeming on that list!

You mean he's not actually concerned about all those incarcerated black males and wants to help them get back to being fathers? whaaaaat?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Eej posted:

I know the part about Dune being a fusion of American conservationism with critiques of Big Oil, European Feudalism and white saviour stories but I didn't know that a lot of the Fremen is lifted wholesale from the Islamic forces in the Caucasus resisting Imperial Russian encroachment.

The Beast Ramzan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

well now I just want to go read Hadji Murat again