Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Another day another violently transphobic article in the Beeb. Worth sending in a complaint if you have five seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The next Tory election slogan posted:

PUMPING poo poo.
TALKING poo poo.
JUST PLAIN poo poo.

Vote Conservative

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The bbc obsess over secret penes more than Freud in a greengrocers.

Have they commented on the Sisters Uncut FOI on the number of police complaints about officers using sexually coercive tactics at all?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

Another day another violently transphobic article in the Beeb. Worth sending in a complaint if you have five seconds.

Does anything bad actually happen if you just stop paying your license fee?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The queen's binding to this plane weakens.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I love Newsthump
https://twitter.com/newsthump/status/1452947750115549186

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

One of my favourite bands + one of my favourite politicians

https://twitter.com/Mybshwll/status/1452954470451658763

Seems the sort of thing that goes down well here

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

peanut- posted:

You aren't allowed to watch any live TV or use iPlayer without a licence. ITV Hub etc are ok as long as it's not a live broadcast. gently caress knows how they're going to stop you if you use a VPN.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/tv-licence/

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 26, 2021

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1452955739950039044?t=IunHae1x2r-SMGUTzdlwfg&s=19

Might be a byelection on the cards if the recall goes ahead

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

josh04 posted:

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/novaramedia/status/1452948347438911490

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Youtube have straight up deleted Novara Medias channel with no warning or information.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

YouTube's moderation seems to be completely insane, people get videos and channels deleted all the time without any explanation.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

They have a bunch of MPs hollering about it, at least.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Just seen on Twitter that YouTube has deleted Novara Media’s channel, without explanation, which is odd. It also seems a bunch of leftists don’t like them but I can’t really work out why.

e: beaten

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

josh04 posted:

They have a bunch of MPs hollering about it, at least.

Yeah and some right wing journos as well, because they are worried they might also get their accounts nuked presumably. Imagine it will be reversed shortly and blamed on a "technical error".

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guess Youtube prefers this kind of journalism:

https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1452961844331794434

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah and some right wing journos as well, because they are worried they might also get their accounts nuked presumably. Imagine it will be reversed shortly and blamed on a "technical error".

Its almost certainly as a result of a report bombing run by bots. It happens to channels occasionally if they aren't verified on Youtube, however I thought Novara was so its a bit weird.

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1452954956219179012

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Incredibly safe Tory seat though

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Big tech giants in California unilaterally deciding what we can and cannot hear seems like exactly what the entire British parliament is clamouring for right now.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

peanut- posted:

Big tech giants in California unilaterally deciding what we can and cannot hear seems like exactly what the entire British parliament is clamouring for right now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tory MP facing consequences for their actions? What is this outrageous concept? It'll never happen

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1452902694277074948

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

When I wuz a kid we played outside all the kids do nowadays is charge they phone, be bisexual and lie.

Also stop loving being outside you horrible yooths I will call the cops on you.

I carry all of the common types of cables just so I have something for people to plug in. Modern life can be very draining.

By now most players know who among us always have spare supplies whenever there's an impromptu meeting.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Novara's been reinstated, that was quick. Wonder if they will ever get any explanation.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Is that Nick Clegg? :shock: :probe:

forkboy84 posted:

Tory MP facing consequences for their actions? What is this outrageous concept? It'll never happen

He must have upset the wrong person because loads of them are at it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

peanut- posted:

You get increasingly scary looking letters telling you theyre going to come and investigate you and you'll go to jail. A year later and no one has come. Somehow they manage to ramp up the letters everytime, basically everything is in RED and underlined now. Maybe if you live in a busy city where they can visit lots of people at once they might actually come and investigate you dunno.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You tell them that you don't watch TV on their website, and they stop sending you letters for two years. If anyone comes to your door, you tell them to gently caress off and get a warrant.

Last time I had a TV license Michael howerd was the tory leader.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is that Nick Clegg? :shock: :probe:
Yup. He's somehow become the fall-guy for Facebook.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

keep punching joe posted:

You tell them that you don't watch TV on their website, and they stop sending you letters for two years. If anyone comes to your door, you tell them to gently caress off and get a warrant.

Didnt work when I did that before. Just encouraged them to send more letters. Maybe that was a mistake but its what happened. That was in crappy student housing where the tenant changed every 6 months/year so maybe that made a difference. A guy came to the door one day and I told him to go away.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

fuctifino posted:

Yup. He's somehow become the fall-guy for Facebook.

+++Moderation for user Clegg+++

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This is what I always do, and the Ocado guy is not happy with me.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

You can remove their implied right of access too, meaning that if they ever knock on your door again, it becomes an offence. I did that at my old address over the phone, and didn't have to give any real personal details.

These days, I let them waste money writing to me for a couple of years, then I fill out the exemption form on the website, often using a funny name. This was my last one:

I've never had a TV license, though to be fair, I stopped watching live broadcast TV about a decade ago.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I've lived in the same place for almost 10 years and get a threatening letter saying that theyr sending "enforcement officers" round to beat me up or whatever every couple weeksi figure if I go online and say I don't watch telly that's a trap and they'll probably actually send someone round at that point.

I haven't watched British TV for longer than that since its genuinely like the fake TV from V for Vendetta and poisons your brain.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I know there is a lot of dumb poo poo in this country but this might be stupidest man I've ever seen.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

I must unfortunately inform everyone that Prince Andrew, Duke of York, KG, GCVO, CD, ADC(P) has suddenly died of Covid.
Who knew covid could weaken the hyoid bone so much it would snap on its own like that?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The letters TV Licensing send are shittily designed to look like final bill demands / debt collectors notices etc. This can be a source of anxiety to many people, me included. The trick is to look on the back of the envelope on the flap, see the return address is in Darlington and throw it in the bin without opening.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

peanut- posted:

Worth pointing out here that yes, this:

Lungboy posted:

You aren't allowed to watch any live TV or use iPlayer without a licence. ITV Hub etc are ok as long as it's not a live broadcast. gently caress knows how they're going to stop you if you use a VPN.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/tv-licence/

is the letter of the law if you want to be entirely above board.

However, if you don't pay the law is almost completely unenforceable in practice if you make things even remotely difficult for them.

Afaict the whole detector van thing is garbage smoke and mirrors. I read something about them being able to pick up emissions from old CRT TVs, which I'm still sceptical about but in any case who cares, no-one uses CRTs in 2021.

So really what I think we're dealing with is a big database with a list of unlicensed properties, and almost certainly a quite overstretched department working enforcement. They periodically send scary looking letters to these addresses - sometimes even threatening a physical visit - but in all my life they've never followed through on that. I've heard maybe single digit stories of friends of friends who've had a visit, but it looks like 99.9% of the time the letters are the worst thing that happens and they can safely be ignored, or you can even send a declaration back that the property doesn't need a license. I've done this a few times and the letters stopped, but again nobody ever turned up to verify anything.

If this fails, and someone does actually turn up at your door, you have zero legal obligation to let them inside. I have heard horror stories about them claiming otherwise, especially where the person answering the door seems unsure and not confident or otherwise vulnerable, but you are well within your rights to laugh in their face and tell them to come back with a court order. Really, it's not worth it for them to pursue it that far, and if they did they'd still have to prove you were watching TV illegally. I'm not sure having a laptop that could theoretically receive iPlayer would stand up particularly well in court for them, but who knows. The odds of it getting this far are so tiny they're barely worth thinking about, and you've always got the time between them first knocking and showing up with the warrant to hide whatever incriminating evidence is lying about.

Everything about TV licensing feels like it's been constructed to appear as scary as possible, what with all the 'WE'RE WATCHING YOU' Big Brother aesthetic, but honestly it just screams overcompensation to me. For all they want you to believe they're this big, all-seeing organisation, they're actually just a few old guys in a government office with probably a few hundred (if that) enforcement officers across the country, none of whom have any more legal power than traffic wardens. The whole thing's an illusion, imho.

e: i'm definitely getting a visit next week aren't I, lmao

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 26, 2021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Alright I'm not paying anymore, if I see a TV detector van parked outside I'm holding you all accountable.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Lady Gaza posted:

Just seen on Twitter that YouTube has deleted Novara Media’s channel, without explanation, which is odd. It also seems a bunch of leftists don’t like them but I can’t really work out why.

Maybe related to this, the aged old problem in left spaces of not being able to deal with misogyny and sexual assault.

cn: rape, rape apologism, holding someone at knife point

there has been a history of Novara Media giving or sharing platforms with rape apologists and dealing very badly with these situations after they've happened. loads of stuff has been happening on twitter in the last couple of days - a #boycottnovara campaign led by survivors affected by novara's conduct and the people they've willingly worked with, and various responses from novara editors (and then responses to them as well.)

i feel like a lot of ppl i have on fb who like and read novara content don't know that this is happening right now, so i'm writing this to try to make people more aware. i've been busy working long hours recently so i've only just got to a point where i feel up to speed on things. below, i've tried to organise various key threads - i will have no doubt missed stuff but hopefully people can add things in comments. you should be able to read it all without a twitter account. sometimes you need to scroll down and click 'read more' to see the whole thread. also, note the dates as i haven't arranged this all chronologically

1) about a horrible letter anonymously written a few ago by a group called 'the Bloomsbury 10' (though i think it's pretty much accepted that we know who these people are - you can google it - basically post-student movement london far left bro-y types) which castigated a survivor and gaslighted. here are tweets from the survivor about it https://twitter.com/spacecommunism/status/884163805617561600

2) a general thread on this stuff from that same survivor https://twitter.com/spacecommunism/status/883442382053703682

3) another thread from the same survivor that details demands and responses she wants from novara https://twitter.com/spacecommunism/status/883609819026001920

4) a thread about aaron bastani going on george galloway's radio station (GG is a rape apologist who defends julian assange) https://twitter.com/KojoRTE/status/883433967235592192

5) a call - though not the first - from that same survivor to #boycottnovara https://twitter.com/spacecommunism/status/884111756699869184

6) a response from novara media editor ash sarkar on the george galloway stuff https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/884024155120832512

7) a thread from someone tangentially involved in novara being critical of novara and supportive of the boycott https://twitter.com/rayfilar/status/884381148377493506

screenshots from an email novara editor james butler sent to a friend/comrade of his who asked him about this stuff. (this stuff makes for a very poor public statement and the language inside is very ungenerous and uncharitable to survivors imo - "vagueness" and "purging" being quite not only quite horrible, unempathetic caricatures, but also contributing to a powerful, gross narrative about these ""violent snowflake"" types, as the aforementioned survivor clearly aims to highlight and lampoon by making it her twitter name https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/884462688612397059

9) A response from aaron last night apologising for the galloway thing and making promises of a new novara code of conduct for its editors and a new formal complaints procedure https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/884532518179020800

10) a good thread (written before aaron's video above) about the novara responses https://twitter.com/DrMarieThompson/status/884462988161372161

we need to centre our politics here on survivors. clearly something lacking in this is a basic empathy with how sexual violence - and then years of isolation and torment due to this and due to others' responses to it - would make you feel. i feel the ways people have been talking about this - in kind of argumentative tones - has totally hit the wrong note and started off on the wrong foot: basically, there seems to be a fundamental empathy with survivors lacking in a lot of discourse from people who should really do better. and this isn't just like 'something to work on', it's actively harmful and is continuing to harm people and continuing to add to rape culture insofar as it fails to foster an anti-rape culture.

a while ago when this stuff flared up, i tweeted about it. i then got deleted on facebook and unfollowed by aaron (many many others have had the same experience) and had a private conversation with james where he basically said "of course we're aware this is a terrible situation, but there's private stuff we can't talk about - without harming survivors - which is centrally relevant and informs our responses." maybe that's true. but even so, a lack of formal procedure, a lack of openness, a lack of public will to do right by survivors - all this seems to have coloured novara's (lack of) response until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tarnop posted:

The letters TV Licensing send are shittily designed to look like final bill demands / debt collectors notices etc. This can be a source of anxiety to many people, me included. The trick is to look on the back of the envelope on the flap, see the return address is in Darlington and throw it in the bin without opening.

I've mailed back a box containing a brick to that freepost address before, though this was around 10 years ago. The post office accepted it, so I guess it must have gone through, and TV licensing had to pay for it.