Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Imagine repeatedly driving around the block to earn your car’s validation and release that dopamine by seeing a bigger number

We live in a loving hellscape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

It is in certain groups, not in others.

I'm assuming this person was a solo vehicle because while I've seen some bad decision making in groups, I've never seen a group running a trail literally all go the wrong way on something as well known as that trail.

Also from what I've seen, that pass is not actually all that demanding in terms of vehicle performance (articulation, etc) in good conditions like this. The difficulty and danger is entirely wrapped up in how tight and narrow the trail is, combined with the extremely high penalty for loving up. That Bronco Sport may well have been able to make it across the trail, driven the right direction by a competent driver.

Black Bear isn’t too bad, but the Bronco Sport, especially with stock tires, is going to have a real poo poo time on the steps. Other than there and a little bit on the switchbacks it’s basically a gravel road.

https://youtu.be/t3t418vM3jI?t=3m55s

3m55s if it doesn’t work

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What the gently caress is “aggressive turning”?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Phanatic posted:

What the gently caress is “aggressive turning”?

Taking a turn at a high rate of speed.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Black Bear isn’t too bad, but the Bronco Sport, especially with stock tires, is going to have a real poo poo time on the steps. Other than there and a little bit on the switchbacks it’s basically a gravel road.

3m55s if it doesn’t work

It's nice to see Jeeps being used as Jeeps.

That would be a fun road on a bicycle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

3m55s if it doesn’t work

I mean it all depends on your tolerance for underbody damage but it seems like the biggest rocks around 7:50 and 9:50 could be accomplished with extremely careful spotting and maybe some rock stacking.

Now I'd also expect that to come with pant-making GBS threads terror.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

It's nice to see Jeeps being used as Jeeps.

That would be a fun road on a bicycle.

The Rodeo Labs guys have a good post on it. It’s loving sick. I didn’t have the right bike the last time I was in Durango but it’s on my list.

https://www.rodeo-labs.com/risk-reward-black-bear-pass/

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Who TF thought this was a good way to load a dump truck?!

The skip is from when I told the dashcam to take a picture.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

Who TF thought this was a good way to load a dump truck?!

https://i.imgur.com/92FKiG3.mp4

The skip is from when I told the dashcam to take a picture.

Don't put [img] or [timg] tags on videos.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The safety score thing is like that dumb Progressive Snapshot and other similar programs. They make you use an app now and as my wife found out if you have CarPlay or the android equivalent it reports back that you use your phone 100% of the time while driving so I got a renewal for 50% more. They know it happens as well as when I bitched about it they just took it off my quote and it went back to what it was for the previous 6 months. Of course she could be using her phone all the time and just lying to me.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I’d think that if Tesla had confidence in e autopilot they’d debut it for the worst drivers, not the “safest.”

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Happy Friday!

Except for the uninsured rear end in a top hat that backed into my 1 year old car and then fled. He can get hosed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Uggh that's like the worst place to get hit too. I had someone hit my first gen G35 in the same spot and it never looked quite right again.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Some douche dented my driver's side front quarter panel with his door in a parking garage in Philly while I was on vacation and drove away without leaving a note, but I guess it could have been worse.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

dissss posted:

Uggh that's like the worst place to get hit too. I had someone hit my first gen G35 in the same spot and it never looked quite right again.

Yeah, not just a panel that can be unbolted and have a new one thrown on painted. It's a lease too.

Just..this week has been poo poo. :cry:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Some douche dented my driver's side front quarter panel with his door in a parking garage in Philly while I was on vacation and drove away without leaving a note, but I guess it could have been worse.

Several times I have been sitting in my parked car for whatever reason when someone parks next to me and proceeds to slam their door into my car while I'm sitting inside it. Seems like a good way to get your rear end kicked eventually but what do I know!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That's why I love my 2012 Leaf - it's already beat to hell and the doors are aluminium and surprisingly resistant to dings.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I pulled up next to someone to say "hey all your brake lights are out".. her response was "what does that mean"...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Deleted. Decided this wasn't the place.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Tesla Model 3 involved in a fatal crash near Miami that killed two people on Sept. 13 was traveling as fast as 90 mph before hitting two trees and bursting into flames, according to preliminary findings of the incident by the National Transportation Safety Board.

The federal vehicle safety agency also found that the 20-year-old driver did not attempt to use the vehicle’s brakes during the five seconds of data that the NTSB was able to collect from electric car’s fire-damaged event data recorder.

“Preliminary evaluation of the data indicated that application of the accelerator pedal ranged from 0 to 100 percent, the service brake remained off, and the maximum recorded vehicle speed was 90 mph,” the NTSB said in the preliminary report that was released Wednesday.

The speed limit of the residential street that the crash occurred on in Coral Gables, Florida was 30 mph, according to the NTSB.

The NTSB’s preliminary report did not address whether any of Tesla’s controversial driver-assist systems, marketed as the standard Autopilot and premium Full Self Driving packages, were involved or believed to be involved in the crash. A spokesperson for the NTSB declined to comment on any the systems.

“The preliminary report is silent on that aspect,” he said in an email to CNBC. “The investigation is ongoing.”

The NTSB, an independent federal vehicle safety agency led by Chair Jennifer Homendy, investigates crashes to determine all contributing factors. They also make safety recommendations to automakers, the Department of Transportation, and other groups and government offices based on their forensics and findings.

Four years ago, the NTSB issued safety recommendations to Tesla, but CEO Elon Musk and the company have not adopted them. Among other measures, the NTSB recommended that Tesla “limit the use of automated vehicle control systems to those conditions for which they were designed.” That could mean, for example, only allowing drivers to use Autopilot or FSD, the company’s driver assistance systems, on the highway and in mild weather conditions. The NTSB also recommended that Tesla design and install better driver monitoring systems that precisely detect when a person is not really attentive to the road and engaged in driving.

NTSB Chair Jennifer Homendy expressed concern over this matter in a letter to the company in October.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/12/ntsb-tesla-model-3-traveling-up-to-90-mph-before-fatal-florida-crash.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The driver behind the wheel in the first clip thought that this made him look good.

https://i.imgur.com/l0qdZDW.mp4

The trucker disagreed.

https://i.imgur.com/X6vGXb3.mp4

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Lmao I saw that guy posted his video on Reddit and everyone tore him a new one because he was a dumbass.

I love that the truck driver also shared his video further confirming this. :allears:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Classic BMW Driver stuff right there.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

TBF that guy with the trailer was a loving idiot. You don't pull out when you don't have the right of way if oncoming traffic is going to have to slow down to avoid hitting you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t think anyone disagrees with that, but the cemeteries are full of people who had the right of way.

They’re both idiots.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
truck with trailer definitely at fault here but bmw guy was driving too fast, reacted too late and a terrible idea to dodge into opposing traffic lane. should have just done a quick jog left and right again.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

BraveUlysses posted:

truck with trailer definitely at fault here but bmw guy was driving too fast, reacted too late and a terrible idea to dodge into opposing traffic lane. should have just done a quick jog left and right again.

Should have just planted the brakes, kept control straight ahead into what would have been a known lower-speed collision with the trailer (maybe 15mph impact after braking?) instead of that half-braking, half swerving maneuver, (where he could have lost control) into the oncoming traffic lanes where he couldn't guarantee anybody was stopped for him. (maybe 25+30=55 mph impact). Downside is your poo poo is wrecked, plus side is so is the fucker with the trailer who caused it, and nobody else but the two of you.

This is along the same lines of planting the brakes and not swerving for wild animals in the road. Sure, there's a chance you'll miss them, but you're not that lucky & you're also creating a greater chance you'll gently caress things up worse for you and everyone around you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yup. Friend of mine rolled his pristine rust free 99 XJ trying to avoid a red fox years ago.

He still hit the fox, too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Maybe I'm just an overly cautious baby but I generally slow down from maximum speed when I see cars turning in the road a medium-short distance in front of me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

my kinda ape posted:

Maybe I'm just an overly cautious baby but I generally slow down from maximum speed when I see cars turning in the road a medium-short distance in front of me.

you don't have to do things like that that when you're in the ultimate driving machine, peasant.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

my kinda ape posted:

I'm quite often astonished at the amount of drivers on the road who have no concept of what's around their car beyond what's 20' directly in front of them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ehhh, I have a hard time calling the BMW driver a complete and total idiot. They definitely made the situation worse by how fast they approached the intersection, and I'd say he was planning on going full dick move by more or less buzzing the back bumper of the fuckwit in the truck who turned left in front of him. What he didn't expect was that the truck driver was so stupid as to be towing a trailer while also making a late and slow left turn across traffic.

BMW should have (and could have) kept it to within the lane occupied by a semi that isn't moving, but I don't think their (admittedly late) "avoid the accident" choice was wrong.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol yeah I saw that on Reddit too. Both are idiots but truck much more so.

I recently got a dashcam so we'll see if I can procure anything interesting. So far in two days I had a guy overtaking on an onramp across a solid line, then the same guy overtaking from the right on a merge lane. Then a van changing lanes right into me, and another car turning left across my lane with very little space to brake. Normally I wouldn't even bat an eye but I'm curious how much poo poo I could collect in a day.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

The BMW driver also hardly brakes - that thing is capable of braking way harder than he did. It hardly even dips the nose. If he hadn't been texting and had actually braked as hard as conditions would allow it would've been a non-event.

I, too, fail to understand the American obsession with diving into the shoulder while half-braking for an emergency.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If you don’t try to own the guy who slightly inconveniences you on the road by necessitating that you tap on your brakes, are you really driving a BMW?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

charliemonster42 posted:

The BMW driver also hardly brakes - that thing is capable of braking way harder than he did. It hardly even dips the nose. If he hadn't been texting and had actually braked as hard as conditions would allow it would've been a non-event.

I, too, fail to understand the American obsession with diving into the shoulder while half-braking for an emergency.

I was thinking of this a couple days ago when some goon braked with plenty of room in the left lane and dove his newish white Yukon into the shoulder. It was wildly unnecessary but I don't hate it. I makes a big show of you slowing down considerably and hopefully catches attention of the person behind you to also slow down, either from seeing you move or from showing them traffic is stopped in front. I sometimes move to the far edge of my lane to give the person behind me a look at what's ahead, since I drive a large vehicle.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

charliemonster42 posted:

Why do you think I got these A/T tires?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
driving onto the shoulder and turning my hazards on when traffic slows by 10mph

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/GabrielShoo/status/1462713395745075201?t=M1eYBLkWOFdM41OJjfJy3A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

IOwnCalculus posted:

and I'd say he was planning on going full dick move by more or less buzzing the back bumper of the fuckwit in the truck who turned left in front of him. What he didn't expect was that the truck driver was so stupid as to be towing a trailer while also making a late and slow left turn across traffic.

BMW was absolutely intending to be a dick. He speeds up when approaching the intersection.

https://i.imgur.com/SzuaxaD.mp4