Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Fallom posted:

Why are you agonizing over not paying for some roms

Its OK

I'm dying, daddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
i also have an everdrive and won't be PURCHASING THIS. but mostly just because i invested a stupid amount of money into an hdmi mod but i sincerely hope you all enjoy yourselves and i hope this sells well enough for nintendo to incentivize them fine-tuning future emulation. i love you thread

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
oh man, i hope somebody makes an adapter so i can use the n64 wireless controller with a real n64

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
i have only ever played n64 games on a third party clone console with non-working audio and a billion frames of input lag and it was fine so if it's good enough for me it's good enough for Nintendo simple as

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the target shooting minigames in OoT are already a headache for me without input lag lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

hotdog feet posted:

oh man, i hope somebody makes an adapter so i can use the n64 wireless controller with a real n64

Hopefully 8bitdo pulls through. So far all that's out there are 2.ghz controllers.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Weren't there bad wireless controllers during the N64 era? I feel like that's what made the Wavebird so fancy at the time is that it was one of the first ones that didn't suck rear end.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

getting excited for 50 year old ROMs when Dusk is out in 2 days on the grteatest console ever, the Nintendo Switch?

couldn't be me

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there are more bad N64 controllers than good ones

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Late 90's/Early 2000's was a wild west of wacky peripherals. Nintendo consoles have always seem to be the worst for that poo poo though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

Weren't there bad wireless controllers during the N64 era? I feel like that's what made the Wavebird so fancy at the time is that it was one of the first ones that didn't suck rear end.

Pretty much most attempts at wireless at the time was done through IR and you can imagine how fun that would be.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Oh, I know it wasn't good. Just couldn't remember for sure if there of the time N64 wireless attempts or not.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Zurtilik posted:

I had wireless snes controllers that you had to hold at a certain angle because they were IR and they had to stay pointed at the receiver, and they were the most reliable wireless controllers I had ever used up to that point

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Still want a cool fishing reel for switch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Augus posted:

the target shooting minigames in OoT are already a headache for me without input lag lol

I've had no input lag issues with aiming. The aiming issues is that the sticks are overly sensitive and go from the deadzone to max super fast

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there are more bad N64 controllers than good ones

Saw one of these things on a retro stall at Comicon:

I don't think this ever got to be anything other than player four.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Really the biggest issue with the targeting minigame is that you won't have the gyro aiming of the 3DS remake. Hopefully NSO doesn't kill the chances of that getting ported someday. And port the 3DS version of Majora's Mask but fix a lot of the bad changes like zora swimming and ice arrow spots.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

hatty posted:

I shan’t click on a Reddit link

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've had no input lag issues with aiming. The aiming issues is that the sticks are overly sensitive and go from the deadzone to max super fast

Mario Kart 64 is probably the worst controlling Mario Kart but man was the difference in sticks apparently last night playing it on a pro controller. Gotta make sure I get my drat N64 controller! (And hope the stick works like the old one)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Reading lots of reports about subpar N64 emulation. Yucky!!! I let my online sub expire a long time ago which was clearly the right choice for me

Come to think of it I think I let my PS Plus expire too because the free games have been horrible horrible horrible lately

Subscription models will always suck lmao

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like the N64 versions of OOT/MM better than the 3DS ones.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
The visuals were really nice in the 3DS versions, neither game is something I want to replay anytime soon but I had a really good time with the 3DS ports.

Starring goemon should have gotten a 3DS or switch remake!!! It's a much weaker game than both I'll admit but man what a great vibe

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The 3DS update of OoT is the way to play it and I wish we’d gotten that instead of a rom. The changes to Majora 3DS were mostly not for the better imo and so that one I can take or leave aside from the visual updates.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I played OOT and Majora's Mask on Citra with some decent fan high res textures and fixes (in MM's case). Both pretty solid.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Emulation is just too good! God I love emulators

You guys ever play mega man x with actual rock covers baked into the game instead of midi songs on an actual Nintendo console? loving phenomenal experience

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm happy with my standard nintendo online subscription for when I'm super high and get stomped playing Mario Kart 8 online because I want bright lights and stimulation

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

jackhunter64 posted:

Saw one of these things on a retro stall at Comicon:

I don't think this ever got to be anything other than player four.

That's the little brother controller right there.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Fair, the standard sub was basically just a monster Hunter generations online sub for me. Definitely worth it during the 800 or so hours I lost to that game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MassRafTer posted:

Mario Kart 64 is probably the worst controlling Mario Kart but man was the difference in sticks apparently last night playing it on a pro controller. Gotta make sure I get my drat N64 controller! (And hope the stick works like the old one)

I think the Mario kart is more the drifting feels so weird and different compared to Mario Kart 7 and 8.

I remember on any 50cc track I would basically lap the field by the end but I'm finishing in first by only a few car lengths.

Also item distribution is way weird in this. I was getting triple red shells and stars in first place, lightning bolts in second place.

Also I accidentally entered the Konami code and the game turned into Mickey's Speedway USA

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I just wanna go home and play Metroid, why is life so hard

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i just want to play my switch in bed all day until i die

The Postman
May 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1453013815835123728

Controller restocks go!

Editing in the direct links too:

https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-64-controller.html
https://store.nintendo.com/sega-genesis-control-pad.html

The Postman fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 26, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I just wanna go home and play Metroid, why is life so hard

if only there was some way to play metroid away from home...

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I played sniper on Team Fortress Classic through dialup. I am input lag elemental and no Nintendo code can stop me.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Len posted:

Well now I understand why they're selling a controller. As awful as the N64 controller is it's better than whatever the hell that is

I played through Ocarina of Time fairly recently on the Wii U. The button mapping with the c-buttons is awful on a modern controller. You really need the N64 controller. I played through the whole game, and I can't tell you how many times I instinctively tried to move the camera and just ended up activating some weapon mapped to the right stick that are actually c-buttons because you can't control the camera. Or how my brain was broken because the actual N64 buttons are on screen but not on the controller and mapped to something completely different.

Like I played through the entire game and I still couldn't grasp it up until the very end.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Ragequit posted:

I played sniper on Team Fortress Classic through dialup. I am input lag elemental and no Nintendo code can stop me.

Hell yeah TFC was the poo poo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thank you, friend. I now own two imitation N64 controllers to go with all my real ones.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The important thing to remember is that not a single person posting in this thread should be hindered by whatever so-called input lag exists because no one here is good enough at video games for it to matter.

Same with framerate drops. Just shut up and have fun.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Quantum of Phallus posted:

if only there was some way to play metroid away from home...

They're pretty cool about some light phone use at work but would probably be mad if I brought a switch into a GMP area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nintendo hasn't shipped my N64 controller yet. It shows as picked, but i'm not sure what that means.