Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I'm fine with removing the capacity limits. If the place is doing vaccine verification then I don't see too much of a problem.

Many restaurants are more limited by staffing than by any restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

I'm fine with removing the capacity limits. If the place is doing vaccine verification then I don't see too much of a problem.

Many restaurants are more limited by staffing than by any restrictions.

Unfortunately, Ford’s announcement also included potentially lifting the vaccine passports on January 17 (depending on case counts, of course, but it’s still going to kill vaccine uptake rates).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Do you see vaccine passports continuing to drive uptake after four months?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

infernal machines posted:

Some people react incredibly slowly/cautiously though, so yeah I can imagine a steady bump in vaccinations due to vaccine passports over many months.

No idea about the impact of announcing the requirement will be lifted relatively soon though. Maybe it's "I can wait until January" so people don't get the shot? Or maybe having no announced deadline does more damage, and it's "Ford flip flops constantly, I'll just yell at him and wait a couple weeks".

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

It doesn't matter, passports relegate antivaxxers to the margins of society, and that's where they should remain until they are no longer a liability to everyone around them. The virus is still there, so they are still a liability.

It's not just about driving uptake, it's about making everyone else feel sufficiently safe to brave those increased capacity limits.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I'm still baffled by the idea that they will eventually lift vaccine mandates BEFORE mask mandates. Seems real backwards to my non-expert rear end

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jan posted:

It doesn't matter, passports relegate antivaxxers to the margins of society, and that's where they should remain until they are no longer a liability to everyone around them. The virus is still there, so they are still a liability.

It's not just about driving uptake, it's about making everyone else feel sufficiently safe to brave those increased capacity limits.

Yes, exactly. It's not a crisis measure, it's just common sense. Like, you can't work in some jobs if you don't have the standard vaccines or vaccines applicable to that job. Tough poo poo if you don't like it, don't do those jobs.

Either get the vaccine, or gently caress all the way off.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'm still baffled by the idea that they will eventually lift vaccine mandates BEFORE mask mandates. Seems real backwards to my non-expert rear end

There's still the risk of breakthrough cases, masks are actually good as gently caress and we shouldn't be too eager to get rid of them.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
The Rogers' family beef currently imploding a multibillion dollar company's boardroom right in the middle of a sensitive merger is a fuckin Heritage Moment, thank Allah I am alive for this.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

who cares other than people who receive stfx and uoft alumni newsletters?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

half cocaine posted:

who cares other than people who receive stfx and uoft alumni newsletters?
I know nothing of any of this, but if it means the elites at the top of a cdn telco get a bit of a black eye, then I can dig it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Franks Happy Place posted:

The Rogers' family beef currently imploding a multibillion dollar company's boardroom right in the middle of a sensitive merger is a fuckin Heritage Moment, thank Allah I am alive for this.

What's this about? If it fucks up the Shaw deal I'm all for it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I cannot believe this whole Rogers drama started because the guy loving butt-dialed the guy he was trying to oust while talking about his plans to oust him.

Eat the rich, they're too stupid to have this much power.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
It was my birthday today and for the thread's sake, I had my kids and wife do the counting thing.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Hey its my birthday too, and we also did the counting thing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Today was a former classmates birthday so I spent the day counting how many years until I die.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Today was a former classmates birthday so I spent the day counting how many years until I die.

2d20+10

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

hahahaha

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

I didn’t care about it before but after reading this article? Ed you just made a new enemy

https://twitter.com/smithraps/status/1452598714825064449?s=21

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yes, the solution to the problem is to listen to the people who intentionally caused it.

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1452411983039541260
https://twitter.com/338Canada/status/1452432841703366663

:pray:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I wouldn't pick now to start believing 338/Fournier, even if what they're saying sounds good.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well he's probably not wrong in this case. The real question is whether those numbers hold until 2023.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Barring a catastrophic implosion that shatters one of the major parties I don't see a majority government forming anytime in the future. Chrétien can have some good zingers but he can gently caress off as far as voicing the will of the people.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Love to be a political poll entrail diviner.

Poll: 50% +/- 3% NDP
Seat projection: 75% +/- 30% NDP

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Arc Hammer posted:

Barring a catastrophic implosion that shatters one of the major parties I don't see a majority government forming anytime in the future. Chrétien can have some good zingers but he can gently caress off as far as voicing the will of the people.

His government oversaw more cuts to the social safety net than anything in Harper and Mulroney's fever dreams. A lot of present day problems we'd attribute to conservative governments had their start under Chretien. Prior to his government Canada still had strong funding for stuff to the point where even public schools could give you stationary and pencils to use instead of you having to bring your own.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1452636131795869702

yeah we should be listening to Chretien more

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Kraftwerk posted:

His government oversaw more cuts to the social safety net than anything in Harper and Mulroney's fever dreams. A lot of present day problems we'd attribute to conservative governments had their start under Chretien. Prior to his government Canada still had strong funding for stuff to the point where even public schools could give you stationary and pencils to use instead of you having to bring your own.

Yes but did any other pm's push and punch protestors in the face?

Checkmate.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

MNIMWA posted:

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1452636131795869702

this thread loving loves PM PEPPER ON MY PLATE HA HA HA so shut your mouth

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lol holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/CharlieAngusNDP/status/1452712317372796935?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There's a lot to suggest that Chretien would end up in the Hague if we ever decided to hold people responsible for indigenous genocide. We won't. Almost certainly not in his lifetime. And not the least because of what it would mean for him and people in that political class.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

There's a lot to suggest that Chretien would end up in the Hague if we ever decided to hold people responsible for indigenous genocide. We won't. Almost certainly not in his lifetime. And not the least because of what it would mean for him and people in that political class.

Maybe he can pick up some tips on dodging questions about his responsibility from his chicom friends.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

MNIMWA posted:

I'm sorry my French isn't up to where it should be: how do you say "shut the gently caress up Jean you stupid old man" in French again? Thanks.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm sorry my French isn't up to where it should be: how do you say "shut the gently caress up Jean you stupid old man" in French again? Thanks.

ferme la bouche?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

with a pie

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

half cocaine posted:

PM PEPPER ON MY PLATE HA HA HA

This was one of the first things I learned about Chretien and honestly I still laugh about it

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/CharlieAngusNDP/status/1452787963839062016?s=20

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

...fair response. I like the cut of his jib.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://twitter.com/murray_brewster/status/1452960810976915459?s=21

"help we are now dealing with the consequences of our actions"

lol

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

InfiniteZero posted:

Osti de calisse de tabarnak, ta yeule, criss d'épais! should take care of it but I'm a beginner in this sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

half cocaine posted:

https://twitter.com/murray_brewster/status/1452960810976915459?s=21

"help we are now dealing with the consequences of our actions"

lol

How does someone come up with an estimate like "seven years"? The article just leaves it there and moves along.