Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mischievous Mink posted:

Ban+30 every post that has rape apology, quit putting words in my mouth you dumb gently caress. Forumbans are stupid. You aren't listening and you never have. More reason you shouldn't have buttons lol.

Cool, we'll take that up with an admin. And maybe that will happen. But given when the DMZ thread was opened, the constant accusal was "Everyone in D&D or supporting the Democratic Party is a rape apologist" we have to define what the red line for ban+30 will be?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So when GJB said they were limiting posts because they didn't want the thread to devolve into a slapfight, he meant that posting limits were the only way the mods could stop themselves from turning it into a slapfight?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I mean if I wanted to prove that the lovely posting environment in D&D was because of the moderators, the past few pages of this thread would be exhibit A

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

So, in other words: You are moving the goal posts. If the US was doing this, would you be outraged? I'd be willing to bet yes.

lol

Whatever is going on in Xinjang is surely worse that anything the US has been up to wrt the Muslim world for the last 20 years. Not to mention our border policy.

I mean I don't have any links to satellite photos of Iraq between 03/04 but it would sure be embarrassing if most the cheerleaders for that war were still in charge.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Cool, we'll take that up with an admin. And maybe that will happen. But given when the DMZ thread was opened, the constant accusal was "Everyone in D&D or supporting the Democratic Party is a rape apologist" we have to define what the red line for ban+30 will be?

That's not at all what happened lol

But more than one person did call Tara Reade a liar

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 26, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jimong5 posted:

lol

Whatever is going on in Xinjang is surely worse that anything the US has been up to wrt the Muslim world for the last 20 years. Not to mention our border policy.

I mean I don't have any links to satellite photos of Iraq between 03/04 but it would sure be embarrassing if most the cheerleaders for that war were still in charge.

That's called Whataboutism. And I don't think anybody was defending the US's outright Islamaphobic war.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

That's called Whataboutism. And I don't think anybody was defending the US's outright Islamaphobic war.

Nobody was calling it genocide either, though. And nobody here on SA calls the US's treatment of black men genocide, even though the incarceration rate of black men in america is considerably higher than the incarceration rate of uyghurs estimated by china's biggest critics. The genocide accusations always depended, at minimum, on the idea that islam was being removed from public life in xinjiang, and the associated press recently sent a reporter who determined that that was not the case. Certainly it would be accurate to say that xinjiang is in the grips of an authoritarian police state within an order of magnitude of, but considerably less intense than, the united states. But that is not something that most people would consider genocide.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

CommieGIR posted:

So, in other words: You are moving the goal posts. If the US was doing this, would you be outraged? I'd be willing to bet yes.

So uh, what exactly was this then?

"If this US was doing this you'd sure be maad"

"yes."

"Whataboutism!!!!!"

How about I'll care about what the Chinese are up to after we stop the far more monstrous policies of the county I live in and have a vote for? Is that genocide denial?

Because it seems like whataboutisim to me to redirect criticism of US empire to "theres totes a genocide there, trust me"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

links bellingcat as an authoritative source

Please read the stickied media analysis and criticism thread.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Is anybody not in agreement that the mass incarceration of black Americans is basically genocide? I mean given that the US Justice system in general is steeped in White Supremacy oriented towards doing oppressive, genocide like things?

Jimong5 posted:

How about I'll care about what the Chinese are up to after we stop the far more monstrous policies of the county I live in and have a vote for? Is that genocide denial?

Because it seems like whataboutisim to me to redirect criticism of US empire to "theres totes a genocide there, trust me"

Caring about it, sure. Whether or not it IS by definition, genocide, is another. Nobody is saying you personally have to do anything about it (you can't).

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Is anybody not in agreement that the mass incarceration of black Americans is basically genocide? I mean given that the US Justice system in general is steeped in White Supremacy oriented towards doing oppressive, genocide like things?

Regardless of my opinion on the subject, lots of people do not agree that the united states government is currently engaging in genocide, and I do not believe most people would consider that to be a bannable statement in D&D.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

30.5 Days posted:

Regardless of my opinion on the subject, lots of people do not agree that the united states government is currently engaging in genocide, and I do not believe most people would consider that to be a bannable statement in D&D.

Well then maybe that is something that needs to change. This discussion helped. Thank you.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

I would be willing to bet lots of guinea pig pics you'd be shouted out of DND with that take minus the star.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

Grimey Drawer

30.5 Days posted:

Its a combo of this and trusting/distrusting the same organizations that brought you "Iraq has WMD's"

It is very possible that China is conducting a cultural genocide. But there is no solution that the US can reasonably exercise and also we are up to way worse.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Well then maybe that is something that needs to change. This discussion helped. Thank you.
I'd say yes. Ban anyone who says the border concentration camps and mass incarceration of black people in the US, the residential schools in Canada, or the uyghur camps in China are not genocide. All of these things are directly and obviously equivalent.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
A D&D rule that you're not allowed to argue that any nation is not committing genocide would kind of own.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CG this is not an appropriate way for a mod to act. There are pages of complaints levelled at the mod team itt and the qcs thread, and instead of responding to any of those you are instead loving the Chinese chicken, so to speak.

I'm not sure what your goal is here from a moderation standpoint, but if you are attempting to justify the years long poo poo pile that is DnD moderation then you're doing a very poor job of it.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 26, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think "is the 21st century treatment of blacks in America genocide" is a complicated question and answering it one way or another shouldn't be bannable. A lot of problems are complicated and we shouldn't proscribe "correct" answers to them. Now, if somebody says something terrible in the process of making an argument (something like "I think black people have it better in America!" or "all white people should be killed"), act on that, but like, these are matters of actual scholarly debate, and not something we should be shutting down discussion about.

I also think "is [bad thing] [a given word for bad thing]" is the kind of idiotic argument we shouldn't be having, because semantic arguments are pretty much always a waste of time, and because that argument is pretty much always just used to paint your posting enemies as supporting [bad thing].

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

I think "is the 21st century treatment of blacks in America genocide" is a complicated question and answering it one way or another shouldn't be bannable.

mods ban this mf for genocide denial

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I think the big problem is how do we discuss the context of various states crimes against humanities within the context of a single thread: I.e. the derailment that both Canada's genocide against native children and China's mass incarceration caused in those threads. Because despite the need to discuss these things, in the context of discussing the ongoing political issues of each state is going to get easily drowned out by it.

Much like the ACAB discussion in USNews easily drowned out any day to day USNews happenings.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 26, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
However, I agree with my right honorable friend from debate and discussion

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

CommieGIR posted:

I think the big problem is how do we discuss the context of various states crimes against humanities within the context of a single thread: I.e. the derailment that both Canada's genocide against native children and China's mass incarceration caused in those threads. Because despite the need to discuss these things, in the context of discussing the ongoing political issues of each state is going to get easily drowned out by it.

Why does it have to be a single thread? If these are complicated questions, why not give them space to breath? This is exactly the type of stuff I mean when I say the solutions to D&D's problems lie outside of the current mod team.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

Why does it have to be a single thread? If these are complicated questions, why not give them space to breath? This is exactly the type of stuff I mean when I say the solutions to D&D's problems lie outside of the current mod team.

How? Open to suggestions for me and/or future mod teams. Most people don't want to dig through a thread to find the single topic they were trying to discuss, that's part of why we split out topics in USNews (since D&D is for the most part US Centric)

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

How? Open to suggestions for me and/or future mod teams. Most people don't want to dig through a thread to find the single topic they were trying to discuss, that's part of why we split out topics in USNews (since D&D is for the most part US Centric)

Why not just have a timeout on the topic temporarily if it really is overriding all conversation for X amount of time instead of shunting the topic off to die?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sedisp posted:

Why not just have a timeout on the topic temporarily if it really is overriding all conversation for X amount of time instead of shunting the topic off to die?

Most of the threads didn't die though? The Afghanistan thread and Police threads were very active for a long time.

A timeout sounds cool, but how would you do it? Set a topic timer and link in the op?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

CommieGIR posted:

We don't trust your judgement on when something has become extraneous.

Fancy Pelosi
Oct 2, 2021

by Hand Knit
Not to distract from CommieGIR's currently ongoing meltdown, but if all you brilliant mods knew I was trolling from the moment I showed up, why did one of you blank my redtext for free without me even asking? That's weird.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Most of the threads didn't die though? The Afghanistan thread and Police threads were very active for a long time.

A timeout sounds cool, but how do you do it? Set a topic timer and link in the op?

Depending on the topic yeah they can have legs but if it's something that's only going to get sporadic updates it's just gonna die.

I don't know if you'd even need to have anything other than a mod popping in and just saying cool it with X till whenever. Most people will get the hint and chill out if they don't sixer them ramp if they do it constantly.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fancy Pelosi posted:

Not to distract from CommieGIR's currently ongoing meltdown, but if all you brilliant mods knew I was trolling from the moment I showed up, why did one of you blank my redtext for free without me even asking? That's weird.

So you're mad that people were nice to you?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Fancy Pelosi posted:

YEEESSS I KNEW IT I KNEW IT

Fancy Pelosi
Oct 2, 2021

by Hand Knit
Just a reminder to Deteriorata that we aren't supposed to respond directly to other posters in this thread, because the mods don't want it to devolve into a slapfight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fancy Pelosi posted:

Just a reminder that we aren't supposed to respond directly to other posters in this thread, because the mods don't want it to devolve into a slapfight.

Frankly I feel opening it up has helped, we got a lot of good feedback in the first 6 pages, now I think discussion is more warranted and it seems like most other posters agree.

Worth noting that they had already updated the rules removing the single post rule prior to this.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 26, 2021

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

CommieGIR posted:

"Whataboutism" is an imperialist propaganda term deployed by the US government to avoid discussion of its many crimes, so yes, you are defending the US every single time you utter it. How is this relevant to forum feedback? Why are you seemingly unable to engage with the community you oversee without this bitchy confrontational tone?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ram dass in hell posted:

"Whataboutism" is an imperialist propaganda term deployed by the US government to avoid discussion of its many crimes, so yes, you are defending the US every single time you utter it. How is this relevant to forum feedback? Why are you seemingly unable to engage with the community you oversee without this bitchy confrontational tone?

Actually it was Soviet if I recall correctly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_you_are_lynching_Negroes

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

CommieGIR posted:

Actually it was Soviet.

?????????????

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Yes, Soviet claims of "you have no room to judge what we're doing, clean your own home first" were simply handwaved away by calling it "whataboutism." This is exactly what ram dass is telling you.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my God, my feedback is to do whatever the gently caress you have to to keep "debates" like this from happening. Who loving cares.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

Yes, Soviet claims of "you have no room to judge what we're doing, clean your own home first" were simply handwaved away by calling it "whataboutism." This is exactly what ram dass is telling you.

Ah, gotcha, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

ram dass in hell posted:

OK, let's call it "changing the subject" then? Is it not changing the subject to swerve from talking about Xinjiang to the US's wars or is there some substantial connection between the two? No one said that the US's wars aren't bad. But oh look, they used the 'W' word so they must be an imperialist shill, we'll just call them that and now we won the argument! JFC.

e: This is the problem with D&D, btw. Not bad mods, posters who are devoted to scoring points on any little thing they disagree with over making an actual insightful contribution to the topic at hand. If anything this kind of poo poo gets too light a touch. Just don't loving post if this is all you have.