Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
https://messages.google.com/web/calls works as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

why is the fi app suddenly being a massive battery drain lol (pixel 5, android 11)

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
nm someone already said it

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Just a random comment:
Switching off of Fi can be a massive pain in the rear end if you leave RCS turned on. Much like the Apple equivalent, Google will blackhole chat messages unless you do this.

https://messages.google.com/disable-chat

I had to use BOTH methods before it would stop trying to reach my phone over RCS.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

azurite posted:

Just a random comment:
Switching off of Fi can be a massive pain in the rear end if you leave RCS turned on. Much like the Apple equivalent, Google will blackhole chat messages unless you do this.

I had to use BOTH methods before it would stop trying to reach my phone over RCS.

This is one of those things that I'm sure I'll get bit by when I do eventually jump off Fi down the road. Thanks for the info!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

azurite posted:

Just a random comment:

Maybe that’s my problem too… I switched from Android to iOS as my daily driver (with Pixel 5 as a daily device while living in both ecosystems) and RCS is still on my P5. Despite not having a SIM card or associated with my Fi account, someone still texted me. It was weird.

Edit: Yep, this was it. I hope the first method works because the second one claims that my carrier doesn't allow me to turn off RCS.

Wonderful.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 24, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I turned off RCS and it fixed immediately. Not nearly as troublesome as leaving iMessage. I moved from Fi (very sadly since i was an early adopter, voice user, etc) to the tmob $40 prepaid thing. i think its not as good, speeds seem bad idk but that doesn't make any sense since Fi is a tmob mvno, maybe its just my brain. just the price so good. switched to iOS since you need blue bubbles to exist in polite society.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

How's the Fi deal on a 5a actually rate? Advertised as a $15/mo. "subscription" for two years, after which you'll get an upgrade to presumably the 7a or equivalent. But, $6 of that is the device protection plan, which you are free to turn off -- it does warn that you remain responsible for the monthly fee even if something happens. But without, that's $216, and there's a $70 estimate for my 3a trade-in, which is even better than I did last time to get the 3a I think, even accounting for I guess you don't actually get anything for the trade-in when you "upgrade" from the 5a, it's just factored into this price you're paying now.

Any catch to this idea of a "subscription" vs. just a financed purchase?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I enjoyed the deal on my 4a because I was tight on cash and needed a replacement phone in a hurry.

I'm actually extremely displeased with software degradation over the last several months on my 4a, and am going to be jumping over to iOS because at least I can get some decent lifespan out of those.

I'm really displeased about how being on a Google phone on Google service has gone. Maybe it's just this one since my previous Pixel was pretty good, but I'm tired of it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

NewFatMike posted:

I enjoyed the deal on my 4a because I was tight on cash and needed a replacement phone in a hurry.

I'm actually extremely displeased with software degradation over the last several months on my 4a, and am going to be jumping over to iOS because at least I can get some decent lifespan out of those.

I'm really displeased about how being on a Google phone on Google service has gone. Maybe it's just this one since my previous Pixel was pretty good, but I'm tired of it.

I have been a huge Google user for years, never had an iPhone, my first smart phone was a Nexus 5, currently have a Pixel 3xl, spent a few years on Google Fi, and I'm seriously considering getting an iPhone, too.

Google Play Music was great, YouTube Music is trash, they keep making it harder and harder to use Google News with an adblocker, and they're loving shutting down Hangouts in favor of Google Messages and Google Chat, both of which are significant reductions in features, and between those three things are ninety-five percent of what I use my phone for. The last bit is mostly Google Maps, which I can just download on an iPhone, at least until they gently caress that up, too.

EDIT: poo poo, I forgot about Google Pay, which they reengineered to work better in India and worse everywhere else. I loving hate Peter Thiel, but I'm pretty much stuck with Venmo, now.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 18, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

How are iPhones on Google Fi? My partner is looking to hop phone plans, and apparently the iOS is still in beta of writing with Fi?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanatosian posted:

I have been a huge Google user for years, never had an iPhone, my first smart phone was a Nexus 5, currently have a Pixel 3xl, spent a few years on Google Fi, and I'm seriously considering getting an iPhone, too.

Google Play Music was great, YouTube Music is trash, they keep making it harder and harder to use Google News with an adblocker, and they're loving shutting down Hangouts in favor of Google Messages and Google Chat, both of which are significant reductions in features, and between those three things are ninety-five percent of what I use my phone for. The last bit is mostly Google Maps, which I can just download on an iPhone, at least until they gently caress that up, too.

EDIT: poo poo, I forgot about Google Pay, which they reengineered to work better in India and worse everywhere else. I loving hate Peter Thiel, but I'm pretty much stuck with Venmo, now.

Oh poo poo not even to say that Google Maps has been increasingly fucky on the highways here in Chicago. It gives me the exit but wrong direction, and I only know better because I'm from the area and have a rough idea of where I'm going.

Apple Maps had a rough launch, but I'll give it a shot and iMessages having a browser setup is the nail in the coffin for me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

NewFatMike posted:

Oh poo poo not even to say that Google Maps has been increasingly fucky on the highways here in Chicago. It gives me the exit but wrong direction, and I only know better because I'm from the area and have a rough idea of where I'm going.

Apple Maps had a rough launch, but I'll give it a shot and iMessages having a browser setup is the nail in the coffin for me.

Can iMessages do phone calls from the browser interface?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

How are iPhones on Google Fi? My partner is looking to hop phone plans, and apparently the iOS is still in beta of writing with Fi?

I'm using the iPhone 12 Pro Max on Fi until the Pixel 6 Pro drops and it's pretty decent if you like LTE. There's no 5G, you're stick on T-Mobile, and there's no Wi-Fi Calling. I think iOS just recently got access to the VPN too.

It'd be nice to have carrier switching but eh.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanatosian posted:

Can iMessages do phone calls from the browser interface?

Hmm I might be misremembering something, I thought at WDC they announced that you could send texts from the browser, but I'm not seeing anything on it now :/

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I need to shuffle some cellphone numbers around, hoping someone could give some advice.

I currently have Google Fi and Cricket Wireless. My Fi number is my old google voice number. I'd like to move my current Fi number back to google voice, and then transfer my Cricket cell number to be my new Fi number. Is this possible?

Alternatively, can I port my Cricket number to be my Google Voice number? If so, can I just have any calls/texts that go to that number forward to my Fi number?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I really like Fi for the most part, but holy gently caress, if something doesn't work and it's not crazy simple, there customer service is somehow worse (ok maybe not worse, but equal) than AT&T.

My sister was going to join my plan, and something happened, number can't port and in poo poo limbo. Long story short, was "escalated" like 5 days ago, and since customer service won't/can't do anything, just saying someone will get back to her/us. Sorry I can't do anything because someone is going to reach out to you, sometime in the maybe near future but also maybe never, thanks! Looking forward to having you as a great customer! Don't call us, we'll call you!

Had a few other issues in the past that I was ok just writing off, but honestly it's getting old.

So was looking around at some other options and US Mobile, looks very good price wise, but it seems to be newer, has anyone had any experience with them?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
They're just an MVNO (like Fi) reselling Verizon and Tmo service. Not that dealing with either of those is a great experience, but you're still one removed from the owner/operator of the equipment with any MVNO

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah, why I feel like it may not be worth it, trading one bald tire for another bald tire. But the price seems to good, the reviews I see around, and on Reddit and elsewhere feel....fake. Like to many people giving good reviews and saying favorable things.

Maybe I am just to soured from my recent experiences hah.

Honestly would probably just go back to T-Mobile if anything, seems some of their plans are more comparable than they used to be.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Has anyone noticed more dead zones where they weren't recently?

Trying to figure out why I've been getting "emergency calls only" signal in spots where this wasn't the case before (like at the grocery store, where I absolutely used to have solid LTE/5G because we've been doing pickup for years and that requires letting them know we're parked) and it seems isolated to my phone since Dr Fauxton's phone isn't experiencing it. Toggling airplane mode doesn't reliably fix it, restarting does, and FINEXT dialer code does as well (as long as the signal's there)

Haven't changed phones since I got my P5/she her P4, haven't factory reset them, etc. Just seems like suddenly a particular band's antenna isn't working anymore, but that wouldn't make a lot of sense with the way this poo poo's all put together. Could it be related to whatever's going on with Tmo and Sprint?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Has anyone noticed more dead zones where they weren't recently?

Trying to figure out why I've been getting "emergency calls only" signal in spots where this wasn't the case before (like at the grocery store, where I absolutely used to have solid LTE/5G because we've been doing pickup for years and that requires letting them know we're parked) and it seems isolated to my phone since Dr Fauxton's phone isn't experiencing it. Toggling airplane mode doesn't reliably fix it, restarting does, and FINEXT dialer code does as well (as long as the signal's there)

Haven't changed phones since I got my P5/she her P4, haven't factory reset them, etc. Just seems like suddenly a particular band's antenna isn't working anymore, but that wouldn't make a lot of sense with the way this poo poo's all put together. Could it be related to whatever's going on with Tmo and Sprint?

I have. My fiance and I are both on Fi, and we've gotten that "emergency calls only" signal. It actually seems to be a false error sometimes. Since COVID I haven't been driving much, but last week I got the emergency calls only signal on my usual route to the supermarket, and restarting did fix it, but it was an issue.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Rakeris posted:

I really like Fi for the most part, but holy gently caress, if something doesn't work and it's not crazy simple, there customer service is somehow worse (ok maybe not worse, but equal) than AT&T.

My sister was going to join my plan, and something happened, number can't port and in poo poo limbo. Long story short, was "escalated" like 5 days ago, and since customer service won't/can't do anything, just saying someone will get back to her/us. Sorry I can't do anything because someone is going to reach out to you, sometime in the maybe near future but also maybe never, thanks! Looking forward to having you as a great customer! Don't call us, we'll call you!

Had a few other issues in the past that I was ok just writing off, but honestly it's getting old.

So was looking around at some other options and US Mobile, looks very good price wise, but it seems to be newer, has anyone had any experience with them?

your phone stops making voice calls. chat support says they can't help with that and you have to call them to fix it. that's fi.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Took an act of parliament to get Fi support to honor a warranty repair on my previous phone because I bought it from Amazon. Even though it was Google's Amazon store and not a third party sale. They tried to say it wasn't Google-Google, or something. Except Google's own stuff shows it as an official Fi sales point.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah...pretty much.

I feel like I would mind it less of they just said we don't do customer support and if you have issues fix it yourself or gently caress off. Because at least then they are being honest.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Rakeris posted:

Posting this as it might help someone else in the future, so ATT blamed Fi and Fi never was able to get back to me with anything, but we talked to a number of people at ATT all who were all worthless. However by some fluke I was connected to someone who IDd himself as Bill from AT&T Premier support, he also claimed to live in Phoenix. Idk why but this Bill was pretty amazing, he not only could understand what the issue was, he said he could easily fix it! He said the number port was blocked by AT&T because of "fraud" however he could provide no other info on why that was. But he said he can instant message someone on the fraud team, and have them release it, and we would need to provide some confirmation code that would be sent to the phone.

Like 10 seconds later we get the code, he forwards it to whomever he is IMing on the fraud team, and bam, it's done. I asked him how do I contact people like him who can actually fix things, he said there wasn't a way. (not sure I believe him, but wtvr) I also asked like if this ever happens again, how do I get this fixed? As no one I talked to - and I talked to probably a dozen different peeps, could see anything wrong and said there wasn't a block on the number or anything, and there was no reason it wouldn't go though.

So he says only "certain" people can see those type of blocks, and if it ever happens again ask to speak to someone in the fraud department and they will be able to see it and fix it....

:suicide:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I had pretty much the exact issue switching to Fi and also only got through because after days of talking to tech support I finally got a super helper or whatever. I think *I* actually figured out the problem after a while but couldn't get tech support to listen to me.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

NewFatMike posted:

Hmm I might be misremembering something, I thought at WDC they announced that you could send texts from the browser, but I'm not seeing anything on it now :/

The only thing you can do from a browser is facetime if someone in ios/mac sends you a link to join their call

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
I've been on Fi for 5+ years and its been very good. I had a Nexus 5x and now a Pixel 2. The Pixel is getting old and I want to upgrade, the new Pixel's dont really do it for me, I want to switch to an iPhone.

If I keep Fi but switch to iPhone I'm going to loose:

5g
network switching
international tethering
wifi calling

I could take the SIM I have in my Pixel 2 and put it into a new unlocked iPhone 13 then order a data-only sim and use that in my Pixel 2? This way I can teather internationally?

I would just switch to t-mobile for the iPhone but Fi really cheap and is so good internationally that I can't give it up.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Anyone have experience using an iphone on Fi? I know I lose out on wifi calling and possible 5g (conflicting answers online) but was just wondering if it was a huge hassle to get setup?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Zil posted:

Anyone have experience using an iphone on Fi? I know I lose out on wifi calling and possible 5g (conflicting answers online) but was just wondering if it was a huge hassle to get setup?

I've got my kid on my Fi plan with an iPhone X, setup is pretty painless, but we had to do something or other to make text messaging work (if you google "no text message Fi iphone" or something like that, you'll find the solutions.

Group texts (her, me, my other child) definitely don't work, though I don't know if that's Fi or general iPhone/Android/me on RCS mismatch.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Deathlove posted:

I've got my kid on my Fi plan with an iPhone X, setup is pretty painless, but we had to do something or other to make text messaging work (if you google "no text message Fi iphone" or something like that, you'll find the solutions.

Group texts (her, me, my other child) definitely don't work, though I don't know if that's Fi or general iPhone/Android/me on RCS mismatch.

Group texts on the iPhone require a special setup:

Configure MMS settings
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Settings app.
- Tap Cellular and then Cellular Data Network.
- In each of the three APN fields, enter h2g2.
- In the MMSC field, enter http://m.fi.goog/mms/wapenc.
- In the MMS Max Message size field, enter 23456789.
- Restart the iPhone.

I can't confirm this 100%, but I had an issue with both group texts AND sending images in texts, and this fixed both of those things.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This may be a question for the Android thread, but is there a way to browse and restore deleted voicemails? My mother passed away overnight and while I do have one VM from her, I'd like to check for any others.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Takoluka posted:

Group texts on the iPhone require a special setup:

Configure MMS settings
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Settings app.
- Tap Cellular and then Cellular Data Network.
- In each of the three APN fields, enter h2g2.
- In the MMSC field, enter http://m.fi.goog/mms/wapenc.
- In the MMS Max Message size field, enter 23456789.
- Restart the iPhone.

I can't confirm this 100%, but I had an issue with both group texts AND sending images in texts, and this fixed both of those things.

Hmm, I thought that was the thing I did before but I'll definitely try this out as soon as I can, thank you!!!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

This may be a question for the Android thread, but is there a way to browse and restore deleted voicemails? My mother passed away overnight and while I do have one VM from her, I'd like to check for any others.

I don't know the answer to your question but my condolences for your loss.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Google Takeout may help with that.
I don't know how VM deletion is handled, but I would assume that if it's still accessable server side without getting Google involved, it'd show up in your Takeout.

Good luck and my condolences for your loss. :(

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Think I've decided to go for a Pixel 6 Pro (even though it's already sold out in the Fi store and coming from a Pixel 3) but just read about the Pixel Pass and it seems like a pretty sweet deal. Am I missing something in the fine print or something? I don't have any of the subscription services it comes with so it's all positive from my standpoint

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I sprang for it for my p6pro. As far as I can tell, if you don't have fi it might be a deal due to the $5 off a month.
If you don't have fi and youtube music and premium don't matter much to you, then it's a hard one to swallow. I'm sure someone has a good value breakdown to justify it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pixel Pass is $421 more over 2 years than just buying the Pro outright.

You get $5 month off Fi = $120
Device protection, Fi charge $9 month or $199 outright= $216 or $199

That's up to $336 for something you might already have. So you have $90 to go -

YouTube Premium $12 month, Cloud Storage $30 year or $3 month, Play Pass $30 year or $3 month. I'm not sure if YouTube Music is included in YouTube Premium or a separate cost but maybe you can use that and cancel your Spotify subscription if you have one.

$120 + $199 + $288 + $60 + $60 = $727 cost over 2 years

$727 - $421 = $306 saved in the bundle.

Or if you don't use or want any of that, you spend $421 less by just getting the phone.

Also it doesn't work with family plans. And you might be limited to only buying the 200 gb of cloud storage according to one source.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I was kind of waiting for the pixel 5 to go down in price, but I heard it's bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

re: Pixel Pass: It's also a little wasteful to upgrade your phone just because the company says it's time, yeah? My Pixel 3 is over two years old and still doing great.