Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

sorry if this is a weird question but I couldn't help but notice that both Scenes from a Marriage and You season 3 both had polyamory/polycule subplots and is that something that's big in America nowadays or is it just a particular writing tic for liberals

idk if it's "big" but it seems like every third match I get on tinder/bumble/etc is doing ethical non-monogamy and I'm not cruising women in their 20s on there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

josh04 posted:

it's the latter but also "the politician" season 2

iirc that was deliberate manipulation and not really a polycule as we understand it

e: oh yeah the old people had a polycule too lol. yeah that fits

coathat
May 21, 2007

Poly stuff being prominent in tv is probably driven by it being popular with the writers and their cohort. Like how every tv show is about going to the psychologist because that’s how writers spend their time.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

coathat posted:

Poly stuff being prominent in tv is probably driven by it being popular with the writers and their cohort. Like how every tv show is about going to the psychologist because that’s how writers spend their time.
Disturbing implications for the CSI period of television.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
also because it's a way to have shows about/featuring relationships not be exactly the same as the million preceding shows

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

gradenko_2000 posted:

sorry if this is a weird question but I couldn't help but notice that both Scenes from a Marriage and You season 3 both had polyamory/polycule subplots and is that something that's big in America nowadays or is it just a particular writing tic for liberals

yeah it's some new thing, the expanse books have been hitting it hard too (recent tv season had one too) and they're always really boring because you of course can't dare criticise them so it comes off as really shallow and pander-y.

Horizon Burning has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Oct 26, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Horizon Burning posted:

yeah it's some new thing, the expanse books have been hitting it hard too (recent tv season had one too) and they're always really boring because you of course can't dare criticise them so it comes off as really shallow and pander-y.

criticize them for what exactly

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
starting to think you hated dune because it didnt have enough polycules or whatever the gently caress

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I liked Dune though. I said it was above average

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress is a polycule?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Koirhor posted:

something to do with DSA

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Koirhor posted:

a whole lotta hassle!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Koirhor posted:

like a thruple but with multiple customization options

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Speleothing posted:

Also, all the Bene Gesseret plots are now coming to fruition about 20 years too early and slightly hosed up. The plan as I think is implied is:

-Spend 1000s of years building religious imagery of a messiah amongst the peasant populations of important planets
- simultaneously breed the noble houses to produce super brains with latent psychic powers
- Jessica bears Leto only daughters, causing Atreides to stumble and no longer threaten the Emperor's stability
- Jessica's daughters get married off to the genetic supermen being bred elsewhere and bear grandsons
- Emperor only has daughters, no male heirs
- Psychic superman assumes the imperial throne through marriage

But Jessica decides to have a son, Paul awakens his psychic powers by living with the Fremen and doing shittons of Spice for 5 years, then he seizes the throne in a messianic religious war.

so jessica being horny for leto plunged the galaxy into a bloody jihad instead of a managed transfer of power into the hands of a superbrain
or is this an example of mark twain's "there were two reigns of terror" quote

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

why were eternals not allowed to fight supervillains but they were allowed to make atomic bombs?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

why were eternals not allowed to fight supervillains but they were allowed to make atomic bombs?

lol because superheroes are inherently destructive op

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

a really bad read on watchmen

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor Jeep posted:

so jessica being horny for leto plunged the galaxy into a bloody jihad instead of a managed transfer of power into the hands of a superbrain

the bene gesserit probably may have hosed it up anyway.

maybe the thousand year long eugenics program is some "when prophecy fails" scenario. they've actually been 2 marriages away from the messiah for 950 years.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Doctor Jeep posted:

I think the jihad, or at least Leto II's reign of terror and the famine/scattering, were inevitable because the KH's supercharged prescience would recognize it to be the only way to prevent the extinction of humanity regardless if he was made "the right way" or whatever.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I think the jihad, or at least Leto II's reign of terror and the famine/scattering, were inevitable because the KH's supercharged prescience would recognize it to be the only way to prevent the extinction of humanity regardless if he was made "the right way" or whatever.

seems very similar to Hari Seldon in Foundation (never read either)

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/comrade_chad_/status/1452467082654801921

https://twitter.com/comrade_chad_/status/1452636385178013705?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ingredients: $10
labor: $100
artistic employees only sandworm zone: $1000

helpa me my pizzeria isa dying mamma mia

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
itza me, God Emperor Leto!

uber_stoat has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Oct 26, 2021

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

:getin:

https://twitter.com/realchalamet/status/1453059611142000641?s=21
https://twitter.com/legendary/status/1453058884516466691?s=21

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

indigi posted:

seems very similar to Hari Seldon in Foundation (never read either)

basically yeah, although the end of the series leaves it kind of ambiguous because there are people and machines that have become explicitly invisible to prescience, so there's a suggestion that it might have all ultimately been for nothing because what was presumed to be perfect prediction has explicit blind spots that are used to break out of the essentially predetermined future. Presumably this would have been addressed in the final book but oh well.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

not really thrilled by his stealing Extremely Fat Uggo valor but he did a good job in the film,

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Did someone say Dune 2

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

basically yeah, although the end of the series leaves it kind of ambiguous because there are people and machines that have become explicitly invisible to prescience, so there's a suggestion that it might have all ultimately been for nothing because what was presumed to be perfect prediction has explicit blind spots that are used to break out of the essentially predetermined future. Presumably this would have been addressed in the final book but oh well.

i thought the prescience-invisible bloodlines were an intentional thing leto ii did so that the enemy wouldn't be able to hunt down everyone using prescience

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
2une

e: this is what the dune sequel should be called

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Serf posted:

i thought the prescience-invisible bloodlines were an intentional thing leto ii did so that the enemy wouldn't be able to hunt down everyone using prescience

who is the enemy? I thought there weren’t aliens in the Duniverse

Serf
May 5, 2011

indigi posted:

its never said, but the inference once can make is that there is some superior alien species out there or the thinking machines would return one day

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

is this real?

how how how

did he also invent zyklon b?

https://twitter.com/nataliesnotinit/status/1453043442221785101?s=21

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

indigi posted:

i think the threat was implied to be something that humans created themselves, not actual space aliens. though we'll never know for sure since Frank didn't finish the series.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
D U N C
2 U N E
D U N 3
D U IV E
D V N E

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Dune Fast Dune Furious

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Serf posted:

oh yeah you’re right. sorry it’s been years since I read the series. was it that the enemy at the end could detect the no-ship everyone was in and that’s what made them potentially an existential threat? or maybe even that didn’t matter after the scattering

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Our orders were to only do harm

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Knight posted:

Our orders were to only do harm

mistakes were made. condolences.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Brian Tyree Henry is so good in Atlanta, honestly like one of the funniest comedic straightmen I've ever seen, and it truly pains me to see him keep getting put in mainstream crap like this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Kingo was the (finger guns) shooter on the grassy knoll