Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Normally I would say that all of that is way too much info to put into a before I play article, but in this particular instance I will give it a pass because holy loving poo poo is this game dense for people that don't know what they're doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Normally I would say that all of that is way too much info to put into a before I play article, but in this particular instance I will give it a pass because holy loving poo poo is this game dense for people that don't know what they're doing

It's based off the existing one for Kingmaker that has been reworked and streamlined for the essentials. A lot of the Kingmaker stuff is still valid too because its the same system so I tried to avoid any duplicates.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I gave away that belt item in Wrath of the Righteous purely because I was so astounded that you were not prompted with something like "no no, you keep it" as with every other similar moment in other RPGs. K, guess I just lose it for absolutely no gain, sweet!

(also mercenaries are only 500 gold if you get them when you are still level 2 immediately after finishing the tutorial, though honestly waiting and getting them immediately after you hit level 3 is probably a good idea since otherwise they are a few thousand experience behind you and it often takes an hour or more of adventuring to catch them up until you get later in the game)

Also a pet-heavy party is an absolute steamroller group, at least on normal difficulty, for the first few chapters. Then you run into encounters where none of your characters or pets can hit the guy who has 8 attacks per round and you have to turn the difficulty down to do any damage to him

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

I gave away that belt item in Wrath of the Righteous purely because I was so astounded that you were not prompted with something like "no no, you keep it" as with every other similar moment in other RPGs. K, guess I just lose it for absolutely no gain, sweet!

(also mercenaries are only 500 gold if you get them when you are still level 2 immediately after finishing the tutorial, though honestly waiting and getting them immediately after you hit level 3 is probably a good idea since otherwise they are a few thousand experience behind you and it often takes an hour or more of adventuring to catch them up until you get later in the game)

Also a pet-heavy party is an absolute steamroller group, at least on normal difficulty, for the first few chapters. Then you run into encounters where none of your characters or pets can hit the guy who has 8 attacks per round and you have to turn the difficulty down to do any damage to him

Belt item is for a romance track.

Mercs will gain exp if you turn on all party members share exp otherwise you're constantly having to rotate party members in and out.

Pets can become better tanks and better dps then most any companion, and spells/buffs help them override those problems. The dog will even trip those huge boss monsters that no one can hit.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

pentyne posted:

Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous

Looks like a pretty accurate representation of the tabletop experience

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

In Tales of Arise does anyone know what chats with other characters do? When you rest at a fire you can choose a character to chat to. Afterwards it says "You are now closer to [character]". I know there are trophies linked to getting close to all characters, but nowhere on the internet tells you if this does anything else.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

when they get maxed the character gets a second mystic arte

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

For Wrath of the Righteous, is Normal difficulty actually decent to start with? I see it turns a bunch of stuff down, but I know Kingmaker did that too and on release even that was a brutal rear end-gently caress because you had bandits with 52 strength against a level 2 party or whatever.

Also are any of the elements particularly a trap? I know there's a mythic feat that lets you remove immunity from one element if you're a caster, but I'm honestly considering playing a Bloodrager and taking either White (cold) or Blue (electricity) dragon as my bloodline, and since I'd be mostly meleeing I probably wouldn't end up with the feat to turn off the respective immunity just to make my bloodline add-ins do more than nothing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

For Wrath of the Righteous, is Normal difficulty actually decent to start with? I see it turns a bunch of stuff down, but I know Kingmaker did that too and on release even that was a brutal rear end-gently caress because you had bandits with 52 strength against a level 2 party or whatever.

Also are any of the elements particularly a trap? I know there's a mythic feat that lets you remove immunity from one element if you're a caster, but I'm honestly considering playing a Bloodrager and taking either White (cold) or Blue (electricity) dragon as my bloodline, and since I'd be mostly meleeing I probably wouldn't end up with the feat to turn off the respective immunity just to make my bloodline add-ins do more than nothing.
A lot of demons are immune to electricity, but yeah, you can bypass that with a mythic power.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Normal is fine for most of it, and you can adjust specific settings like enemy damage or amount of enemies if it gets too much. There is a huge jump in enemy stats from Act 2 to Act 3, so if you haven't been focusing on specializing your characters by that point you fall off until you gain a few levels.

There's a mythic path ability that makes a spell damage type, fire/ice etc., just completely ignore resistances and immunities. Also other abilities that you can convert any magic damage type to a certain type. I guess focusing on sonic energy would be a trap if you somehow didn't take a thundercaller because that's the entire point of the class.

There's some good character build guides up, and toybox can fix a lot of problems in general with the game. It's still getting frequent patches to fix or make certain areas "easier" as the feedback rolls in.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Then I guess my follow up question would be, would a primalist bloodrager be expected to take that elemental mythic feat because the damage spells (and breath) are that much of an augment to their melee, or is it more for full casters?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Then I guess my follow up question would be, would a primalist bloodrager be expected to take that elemental mythic feat because the damage spells (and breath) are that much of an augment to their melee, or is it more for full casters?

Probably full casters. Martial classes want all the mythic +attack and +damage weapon feats.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
There's plenty of character-optimization resources for Pathfinder 1e; it's probably a good idea to put one at the top of the wiki page. At this point there's gotta be something specifically for Wrath of the Righteous

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
The neoseeker guy's guides seem to be reliable as with the previous game https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/builds/Main_Character#Anointed_Knight

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That guy's guides are definitely useful, but I am currently having an absolute blast in Wrath of the Righteous playing a subclass he ranks as a "D" (Master of All, who get 1/2 level bonuses to all knowledges, lores, and perception, combined for me with the background that lets you use Wisdom for your persuasion checks). I would not recommend it for people who want to play mechanically optimal combat characters, but, like, I have not failed more than one or two skill checks in the entire game (athletics and mobility notwithstanding as you cannot literally max all skills so something has to give), and given how often I reloaded in Kingmaker out of frustration over missing seemingly vital skill checks I consider this absolutely worth the questionable combat abilities (and besides they are not much worse than playing a normal rogue anyway).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

That guy's guides are definitely useful, but I am currently having an absolute blast in Wrath of the Righteous playing a subclass he ranks as a "D" (Master of All, who get 1/2 level bonuses to all knowledges, lores, and perception, combined for me with the background that lets you use Wisdom for your persuasion checks). I would not recommend it for people who want to play mechanically optimal combat characters, but, like, I have not failed more than one or two skill checks in the entire game (athletics and mobility notwithstanding as you cannot literally max all skills so something has to give), and given how often I reloaded in Kingmaker out of frustration over missing seemingly vital skill checks I consider this absolutely worth the questionable combat abilities (and besides they are not much worse than playing a normal rogue anyway).

Note that he rates the classes based solely on min max combat power, and all of his character guides are specifically for use on Unfair difficulty. You can get through the game on Normal with just about anything.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Note that he rates the classes based solely on min max combat power, and all of his character guides are specifically for use on Unfair difficulty. You can get through the game on Normal with just about anything.
Yeah true, I did forget that was the ostensible purpose of those guides. Plus I imagine like every game in the "party-based CRPG" genre there are lots of people who exclusively play with a single character to beat it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Anything for Blue Fire?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

With the exception of assassin, which is actually a terribly designed class in general much less this specific campaign, and Nine Tailed Heir, were you get a gimmick (with no visuals I believe) that is functionally worse in every way then any other sorcerer build. Any pure class that you build to spec, pump main stat, take feat synergy trees, etc. should be able to tackle even core if you know the game mechanics well. The prestige classes are a bit of a mixed bag and may not be that great unless you're really aware of how it affects BAB, saves, and caster level.

You do want to turn off auto-level because lol the dev character builds are atrocious. Some are fine for most of it then waste 2-3 feats including mythic ones on powers or abilities that are completely useless for npc's class.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Any tips or stuff I should know before playing Breathedge?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Since I did mostly everything in Lost Judgment, I've got a few tips:

- The new style, Snake, is very good for being defensive. The parry functions pretty much exactly like Tanimura's of Yakuza 4, even including being able to parry people into walls (although this being the Dragon Engine, they will ragdoll and most you might get to do is an EX Action). The original two styles, Crane and Tiger, have also been rebalanced in new ways and you're expected to use all three styles to get through the game.
- There is now a system similar to Yakuza 0's where doing as many different actions as possible will get you more bonus SP on top of the base SP you get for finishing a fight.
- If you intend on using cheat items in order to clear the gambling tasks for TownGO, it would be wise to wait until at least the latter half of the game so that you get more SP from fights and therefore get an easier time of buying them in the first place.
- Keep in mind that certain things are only available at certain times of day, such as the school's shop and cafeteria not being open during nighttime. This doesn't come up all that often, but it's still something to be aware of.
- There is no more Mortal Damage like there was in Judgment, but getting hit by a Mortal attack will still hurt a lot and may leave you open for a follow-up, so try not to let that happen anyway.
- In the case of school story triggers, sometimes they are gated by progress in the main plot or other school stories, sometimes by stats. The School Diary app will inform you of what you need.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

A Bystander posted:

- There is no more Mortal Damage

Oh man that is good to know, that poo poo got real tough sometimes in the first game

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Metroid Dread
- This game loves hidden shootable blocks. If you don't know where to go in the early game, try shooting stuff.
- The EMMI can't hear you if you're not moving or underwater, but it can still see you.
- If you intend to 100% the game, look up how shinesparking works, there are some very counter-intuitive mechanics that are necessary to understand to get every secret.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 13, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

girl dick energy posted:

Metroid Dread
- This game loves hidden shootable blocks. If you don't know where to go in the early game, try shooting stuff.
- The EMMI can't hear you if you're not moving or underwater, but it can still see you.
- If you intend to 100% the game, look up how shinesparking works, there are some very counter-intuitive mechanics that are necessary to understand to get every secret.

- You never have to go through a hazardous environment room without protection to progress except for one short one late in the game. If you get to an area where it's all hazardous areas around you then start looking for alternate paths.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I have additions for the "Mooncrash" section for the "Prey (2017) page. The following tip can be expanded.

- The contents of things don't change until you reset the simulation. Stuff you leave on the ground (usually) and stuff you put in containers will remain there for any character you play that run.

into

- The contents of things don't change until you reset the simulation. Stuff you leave on the ground (usually) and stuff you put in containers will remain there for any character you play that run. Eventually every character will get the "Summon Operator Companion" power so you can easily share items with the others before your current character is about to escape/die.

and another tip to add at the end:

- Once you complete the final KASMA order/objective the game will end. There is no way to re-enter the simulation except for starting a new game from scratch. Keep that in mind if you are a completionist.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

girl dick energy posted:

Metroid Dread

If you're having trouble with a boss, watch the introductory cutscene to the fight. It's not just a "look at Samus be awesome" video, it's a discreet tutorial on the basics of how to fight them, if not point out a weakness.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Also Metroid Dread: If what looks like a quicktime event offers you the ability to shoot at something, the controls are the same as usual. You can charge beam and fire missiles with the usual controls. This is especially relevant because bosses tend to be immune to uncharged shots.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Anything particular for Unsighted?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

There is a timer in the game that you will be introduced to after the opening tutorial. On a first playthrough you will nearly assuredly lose NPCs and other characters to it since they all have individual and shorter time limits than you do. You can reduce, but not eliminate, this from the options menu.

I have no other tips because that is where I quit.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Graveyard Keeper needs some clean up.

These:
- Blue xp mostly comes from researching body parts and such on the church basement's study desk. If you need science just make a bunch of paper out of corpse skin and pump those into the desk. Later the best source is to make piles of medium tier stone grave markers.
- If you need blue xp in the early/mid game, make a bunch of glass or stone grave decorations. They may only give a couple of xp each, but the materials for them should be easy to get large quantities of.
- Blue points: you can start generating them slowly when you upgrade your graveyard to finer quality stone decorations. You can also buy a book from the Astrologer once every week for another source of blue. It’s expensive enough you don’t want to rely on it, but cheap enough you can afford to, especially since you can buy just one a week, and a better graveyard means more sermon money.

Are all variations on the same hint, maybe condense to
- Blue xp mostly comes from researching body parts and such on the church basement's study desk. If you need science make a bunch of paper out of corpse skin and pump those into the desk. Later the best source is to make stone grave fences and glass. You can also buy a book from the Astrologer once every week, but you often have a better use for money.

This one:
- Bodies with 0 red skulls get an inherent +2 bonus when buried.
Is just wrong, being based on a misunderstanding of the -2 penalty of open graves

These could be combined, or one removed:
- There’s no real time pressure to the game, just scheduling issues to meeting certain NPCs and handling corpses. In fact, traveling to meet certain NPCs is the biggest time sink. Leave early.
- Remember there is no real fail state, any pressure you feel is self imposed, even the crops don’t need tending.

These
- In relation to your specified gotcha: When you upgrade the church, the bishop requires you get the second tier of citizenship before you can preach again. To get that, you have to pay like 50s in taxes one time. I think that is about the only thing that will actually prevent you from being able to do something for a time. Everything else is going to be at worst having to grind out some xp to unlock some skills you haven’t done yet.
- The first church upgrade (opening it) means no more free corpses, but that’s more a relief than a problem. The Donkey leaves a little gift behind to help you get started and the hippie east of town sells what else you need. As for the second upgrade, the rear end in a top hat doesn’t tell you about the citizenship requirement until it’s too late. It’s not a fail state but it will prevent you from further sermons. I found a few convenient ways to fix my income but if you want to be prepared just check the mailbox.

could be condensed to
- The first church upgrade (opening it) means no more free corpses. As for the second upgrade, the bishop requires you get the second tier of citizenship before you can preach again. To get that, you have to pay an additional 3s to the Royal Services, which you can do before you upgrade the church.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Graveyard Keeper needs some clean up.

Thank you—I've made these changes.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I was thinking about trying to play through Elex one of these days and I saw that the entries for the game was pretty sparse. Are there some things I should know before I set out?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sylphosaurus posted:

I was thinking about trying to play through Elex one of these days and I saw that the entries for the game was pretty sparse. Are there some things I should know before I set out?
Don't be afraid to run from fights. There is no level scaling and you can and will run into enemies much stronger than you.
Also, you will have much easier time if you focus on ranged combat rather than melee.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The parry is incredibly powerful and doesn't even drain stamina. Put stamina chips in because running out in combat is the best way to get killed fast. Using ranged weapons is fine but for some enemies you will need to get up close and personal. Sometimes you will think that you have to pass through a place with a puzzle but you actually don't so if you get totally stuck and going a certain way seems impossible try to get to the objective through a different path.

You can keep the standard difficulty and make the clocks go very slow for NPCs and yourself turning into Unsighted which I recommend, I hate time limits in games and I've pretty much never played a game twice and not gonna start now. That made me feel a lot better about the game, I don't want to feel like I need to constantly rush anyways.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Kennel posted:

Anything for Blue Fire?
Little bit late but I just beat this game so here is some info.

- This isn't the kind of game where you can permanently miss anything or make 'wrong' choices. You can stop reading here if you want to experience it blind and you will be fine.
- Some good things you can spend your early ore on are: The increased size ore pouch, more fire essence slots, and the spirit that doubles ore gain. These are all available in Stoneheart City.
- The "wall run" upgrade also doubles as a regular wall jump. If you let go of the analog stick while your guy is on the wall, he will just stay still and won't start running along it. It took me way too long to realize this.
- You can parry almost everything, including ranged attacks. Notably, if you parry the fireballs from the fire worms, it will reflect the fireball back at them and kill them. That was the only way I could find how to kill them.
- Stacking the platforming spirits will make you way more adept at platforming. If you have trouble with a void, come back later with some more platforming spirits and you may be able to totally bypass most of the obstacles in the void.
- But that also makes you a bit OP in story dungeons. I tried not to, but it seems like it would be possible to lock yourself out of being able to open some locked rooms in a dungeon if you decided to use fancy platforming spirits to skip rooms and go in the wrong direction. So if you go through a story dungeon while having extreme platforming spirits, try to go through the locked doors in the order the game would want you to go if you didn't have those skills.
- Since this is a metroidvania, keep track of things you find that you can't access yet. Though some upgrades are acquired like Zelda dungeon items, some other pretty major upgrades are hidden past nonchalant seeming obstacles, like an unassuming early platform you can't quite jump to yet, or a random npc who asks for money. The world is actually pretty small and there are almost no 'filler' areas that don't have something important in them.
- The only thing you can spend the drops you get from killing enemies on is upgrading mana at shrines.
- The only thing you can spend the collectibles you find in voids on is upgrading spirit slots (try to collect them all because spirit slots are really useful).
- The only purpose of the emerald/ruby/sapphire items, and most of the emote panel chest items, is selling them for ore. (Though a couple emote panel chests have new weapons/armor)
- To access the DLC, beat the game and then head through the now-glowing door at the very end of Fire Keep.
- If you got the game for free on Twitch Prime it is an old version that doesn't have the newest updates or DLC. You should try to play it on steam/console if possible. Here is a quote from the dev about it.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 20, 2021

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

A Bystander posted:

Since I did mostly everything in Lost Judgment, I've got a few tips:

- The new style, Snake, is very good for being defensive. The parry functions pretty much exactly like Tanimura's of Yakuza 4, even including being able to parry people into walls (although this being the Dragon Engine, they will ragdoll and most you might get to do is an EX Action). The original two styles, Crane and Tiger, have also been rebalanced in new ways and you're expected to use all three styles to get through the game.
- There is now a system similar to Yakuza 0's where doing as many different actions as possible will get you more bonus SP on top of the base SP you get for finishing a fight.
- If you intend on using cheat items in order to clear the gambling tasks for TownGO, it would be wise to wait until at least the latter half of the game so that you get more SP from fights and therefore get an easier time of buying them in the first place.
- Keep in mind that certain things are only available at certain times of day, such as the school's shop and cafeteria not being open during nighttime. This doesn't come up all that often, but it's still something to be aware of.
- There is no more Mortal Damage like there was in Judgment, but getting hit by a Mortal attack will still hurt a lot and may leave you open for a follow-up, so try not to let that happen anyway.
- In the case of school story triggers, sometimes they are gated by progress in the main plot or other school stories, sometimes by stats. The School Diary app will inform you of what you need.

Lots of side cases are hidden behind things like girlfriends and collectables in this one if you ever wonder why so many are ??? forever

For an easy Robotics Club time check the parts list against practise battle rewards and farm accordingly

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of robotics club, the quickest way to win is to beeline for the enemy base; if you can plant a blue block that has at least one square within the enemy's base, you win immediately, it's much faster than trying to actually do the territory control game.

I forget if the game ever explicitly explains that you can do this, I didn't know you could until I read a guide. I might have missed a tutorial early on or something, but it's a game changer!

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
It's a bit niche, but here are some tips for https://store.steampowered.com/app/1539750/Realms_of_Antiquity_The_Shattered_Crown/:

- If you start with a single character, you can use the Hero class which is more than strong enough to solo the early part of the game. There is one recruitable member of each other class.
- Most stats have a decent benefit if you get them to 8.
- Don't train too much in picking locks, disarming traps or lore, as you can completely replicate these skills with magic.
- You can find a good spellbook in the ice fort north of the starting town. Buy a mace first for skeletons, though.
- Magic Eye is an important spell as otherwise it can be hard to spot secret doors.
- You need food to regain stamina as time passes.
- A buff overwrites a bad condition, so if you get poisoned you can either cast Cure or Regenerate, for instance.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I was without internet for a few weeks, so I played a shitload of Chronicon.

Overall the game introduces things to you pretty well, but there are a couple things that might help:

Every class has at least two Legendary Sets per tree/element. If there is a playstyle you like for a given element, odds are there is a Set that boosts it. So don't feel pigeonholed to play a specific way. Also, respecs are free so go nuts trying things out. Talk to the old man who gives you quests for a respec or to move points around.

All the trees are viable, though I wouldn't say they're all equal in power level. If something seems interesting, go for it. You can almost certainly make it work just fine.

It's okay to start on Heroic (though the first half to two-thirds of Act 1 will be slow going), but I wouldn't start a fresh character above that.

Hardcore is totally viable solo, and I would even say blind. There's no jumping across instant death pits or "press X to not die" moments in the story.

If you truly have no idea what class you want to play, Templar is the easiest of the bunch and has a bunch of diverse playstyles based on the given sets and elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles for the Switch, the Definitive Edition; are the tips on the wiki all I need to know, or did some things change for the definitive?