Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Some Numbers posted:

Cathedrals have cardinals, schools have principals.

The principle is your ple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Mayveena posted:

Red Cathedral did nothing new for us. I'd recommend getting a refund :)

I'd ask, but I doubt you'd give it to me.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Risk Shadow Forces is apparently going to be another legacy game based on Risk.

Hasbro need to stop being cowards and make Monopoly Legacy

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Mojo Jojo posted:

Everyone starts with the properties and money they finished the last game with and all the prices are doubled.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

NSW in Australia is finally out of lockdown hell, so had a 6 player game day at a mates

Got in multiple rounds of the following at 6 players:
No Thanks! - Which I was gifted!
6 Nimmt
Cockroach Poker
Skull
Decrypto
Kittin
Just One

A player left temporarily so we were able to get in a few games of Draftosaurus, which I had only brought around to show off the dino meeples.

Had a 6 player game of Steampunk Rally Fusion which was a lot of fun. Still very very glad I backed this, and it was the first time I've played with 6 players - Meaning you never see your cards again during the draft, so it makes that first choice absolutely excruciating. :kiss:

-------------------------------------

Then Magic Maze aka :siren: ANGER SIMULATOR 3000 :siren: was wheeled out, and holy poo poo what an absolute blast to play. Just a table of full grown adults angrily slamming the DO SOMETHING token back and forth in furious silence :allears:
Hearing everyone audibly taking a deep breath after we reached a time-out zone as well was loving amazing.

It's literally this video in game form
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqvDBGNGR4M

-------------------------------------

Unfortunately the night was ended with a game of Home Improvement. One of my friends had picked it up at a yard sale years ago and has never played it, so it was cracked out. I took one look at it and knew it was basically Monopoly But Worse.

1.) It plays like Monopoly, it has the same lovely paper money. Roll dice, move spaces.
2.) The goal is to complete as many 'home improvement' job cards as possible to raise $50,000 in equity - I'm sure young kids know all about equity.
3.) To be able to complete a job card you need to buy tools AND supplies at the stores. You are dependant on dice roles to be able to land on those spaces
4.) Board is scattered with what are essentially "gently caress YOU" chance cards that are designed to prolong the game - "The person to your right has to get rid of their most expensive tool/supply" or "You get to buy any tool/supply from your neighbour at 50%"
5.) If you get lucky and are able to complete an objective you flip the job card over and pull out a 'rating' card that will show you a 1-5. You compare the rating to the back of the card. Sometimes you'll complete the task for the full amount of money it rewards. Sometimes you'll get a "WHOOPS TIM hosed UP!" rating which means that $15,000 card is now worth $1,000 cause you failed.

I was already half asleep at this point and I had 4-5 rolls in a row where I did literally nothing but try and advance to the next store to buy the things I wanted.
I'm 100% on board to play games that a fun in 'bad' ways, but are overall enjoyable to play.

Home Improvement is a loving terrible game, and it was like a glimpse into that lovely Ye Olde 90s era of board game 'design' and how far we've actually come.

I loving hate Home Improvement.

If you had any part in making this game, gently caress you.

My favourite space is 'Outside Backyard'

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mojo Jojo posted:

Risk Shadow Forces is apparently going to be another legacy game based on Risk.

Apparently there is all of ~Four Envelopes and One Sealed Container~

Not sure how just how Legacy this is gonna get, but it might be fun if it's super cheap.

quote:

1st Generation you can buy whatever you want, by the 4th Generation you can't even afford rent.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Infinitum posted:

I took one look at it and knew it was basically Monopoly But Worse.

then why did you proceed?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Because I like my friends, and I was hoping it would at least be fun in a bad way.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

there’s games like vegas showdown that look like absolute clearance bin trash but are awesome, so sometimes you have to take a chance

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone familiar with the co-op version of Root? The way our group played it, it felt basically unwinnable and I'm trying to work out why.

The basic problem is that all human players have to get to 30 points before the robot player gets to 30 points. With four human players, the robot player gets an absolute minimum of four points per turn, and will probably get a few more here and there from controlling clearings. Now, some of our players were able to just about keep up with that rate of point-scoring, but our bird player was baffled - it would take him five or so turns to get up to his maximum point-scoring of about five points a turn, at which point he'd be way behind the robot and the robot would win before he could catch up, and that's assuming everything went right for him and he didn't lose anything important to the robot or go into turmoil. He could get a few points here and there by destroying other human players buildings and crafting things, but the birds are uniquely bad at crafting, and any building a human player sacrificed to the birds would slow that other human player down.

Did we miss something in the rules perhaps? Or maybe there's some big source of points we didn't notice?

Edit: Googling the problem it looks like there used to be a different set of rules where it was possible to wipe the robot off the map and people considered the robot easy to beat. For clarity, that was not what our set of rules said - robots could appear anywhere, regardless of who ruled a clearing.

Gort fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 24, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My discussion of Imperial Steam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVgef-jjNa0

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I watched your discussion last night and added the game to my wishlist.

Is the editing time consuming or does it require a high level of skill?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Video editing is both. It's not too hard to slap together something simple, but it is still time consuming. As soon as you start to do lots of cuts/transitions and splicing different angles together etc it gets really complex.

I've only dabbled in the simpler stuff but it isn't easy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

I watched your discussion last night and added the game to my wishlist.

Is the editing time consuming or does it require a high level of skill?

My son is an editor for a 2.3 M sub channel so he must have skill but since I've never tried, I really don't know :)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mayveena posted:

My son is an editor for a 2.3 M sub channel so he must have skill but since I've never tried, I really don't know :)

I was just curious, I appreciate your videos and look forward to more.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My crew is going all in on Halloween baby :spooky:

Theme is "Shittiest costume $20 can buy"

Setlist for Saturday is:
- Fury of Dracula
- Last Friday
- Whitehall Mystery
- Betrayal at House on the Hill

It's time to get loving murdered :getin:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Months behind, but really enjoying Wingspan.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
How is the expansion to Wingspan? I'm not a huge fan of the game, but some people in my game group thought the new bird decks would change some of the things I had a problem with (your final 5 turns or so typically just taking eggs or whatever, is one of them). I suspect that it's still a middleweight euro no matter what, but I'm willing to give it another shot.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

alcaras posted:

Months behind, but really enjoying Wingspan.

how many times have you played, and roughly what percentage of your/other players actions were "lay eggs?"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i manage to lay an egg most turns of every game

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

how many times have you played, and roughly what percentage of your/other players actions were "lay eggs?"

We've only played a few times, but people in my group normally only go hard on egg laying in the final round

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's a sign of an imperfect game where everyone's final 5 turns should be doing the same action. Though I'll chose to play Wingspan over plenty of other games.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

We've only played a few times, but people in my group normally only go hard on egg laying in the final round

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's a sign of an imperfect game where everyone's final 5 turns should be doing the same action. Though I'll chose to play Wingspan over plenty of other games.

if I remember correctly the final round is....4 of 22 total turns per player? I remember it bleeding in to the second to final round too. that's a lot of the game spent doing the "take points" action.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I played some solo AFfO the other day. I scored 113 points which seemed solid enough for a first try but I never really felt like I developed much of an overarching strategy. I bred some pigs since I had the tanner occupation and a pigsty but that didn't pay off in any huge way, I explored cork then did some raiding and emigrating which seemed better. I might try with other animals next time or really lean into boats instead. It is such a table hog but a lot of fun.

I also buckled and pre-ordered Flamecraft since I think it's a lovely looking and approachable game that lots of people I know will enjoy. It should also arrive in <12 months which is pretty rare for Kickstarters lately!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Fate Accomplice posted:

if I remember correctly the final round is....4 of 22 total turns per player? I remember it bleeding in to the second to final round too. that's a lot of the game spent doing the "take points" action.

5 out of 26 (you start w/ 8 actions and lose one per round until the game ends on the fourth round). And yeah, it is. But it's quick!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Had our ersatz private Little Spiel this weekend. Games played include:

* D-Day Dice 2nd Edition: good as always.
* Exit Adventure Games: Volcano Island: terrible story with some pretty awful point & click moon logic. One guy on this spanish-speaking island is a Bavarian, and another is named Kowalski. Lowest point: you distract a female scientist by tying a knit yoda figure to a Millennium Falcon balloon, which makes her run off chasing the aliens. We gave up after chapter 3 took north of 2 hours to complete.
* Tekhenu: brain burner but pretty good - will need additional plays to understand it more.
* Buccaneer Bones: very quick, fun filler.
* Micro Macro Crime City: Full House: more Micro Macro Crime City. We didn't see any new mechanics in the 4 cases we played.

Oh, and the place we played at was here:

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 26, 2021

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wingspan -- I'd recommend the Oceania expansion. It comes with new action mats that slim down the "rewards" per action. E.g., IIRC, to lay three eggs "for free" you have to have four birds in your grasslands, though if you have fewer birds you can buy extra eggs for bird cards or food. Unless you already have your grasslands nearly full, then there actually starts to be a meaningful choice about your fourth round actions, especially if you have caching/predation powers in your forest or wetlands.

It also introduces some interesting card mechanics for a change of pace (such as end of game powers). Just be warned that there are two(?) bonus cards that are actually only used with the automata game so pull those out.

Also, it introduces a new food type, nectar, that serves as a wildcard but rots at the end of each round. The game adds scoring for whomever uses the most nectar to play birds but as it's so useful on its own we've houseruled away getting points for using it.

The European expansion is OK -- it introduces end of round powers -- but IIRC its just got more birbs to look at. And the Oceania birbs are prettier anyway

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I've played plenty of games of Wingspan where the final round had different actions among players. I still don't like it much but I wouldn't say the end of the game is always the same.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Played 3p Food Chain Magnate over the weekend.

I wouldn’t say I played badly, but at this rate I will need to play once, maybe twice more before I will have made enough money overall to afford one (1) copy of Food Chain Magnate.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Some Strange Flea posted:

Played 3p Food Chain Magnate over the weekend.

I wouldn’t say I played badly, but at this rate I will need to play once, maybe twice more before I will have made enough money overall to afford one (1) copy of Food Chain Magnate.

FCM is just such a fantastic game. Utterly ruthless with tons of strategy. I have yet to dip into my copy of the expansion but I will soon drat it.

How did your game go? Did you get into a price war? Did you try to have your own little private fief of hyper expensive food?

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I keep meaning to play my copy of FCM, I got lazy because everyone said to print off the new milestones and I never did. These posts are encouraging me to look at doing that again, especially since I need to print off a ton of dividers for Marvel Champions anyway.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sometimes I get the urge to play the original milestones again but the new ones just speed the game up so much it’s hard to justify the extra time if you’re playing with more than 3.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
This seems like the best place to ask: Has anyone used card racks/card holders for board gaming? A friend of mine had to have surgery on her wrist, so holding a large hand of cards is not really something she can comfortably do right now. I was thinking of getting a set of some racks or holders, but was curious if anyone had any experience before really looking for some.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I’ve only used the ones that came with the first printing Root which are just small strips of wood with an angled cut, but their presence is always appreciated.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

This seems like the best place to ask: Has anyone used card racks/card holders for board gaming? A friend of mine had to have surgery on her wrist, so holding a large hand of cards is not really something she can comfortably do right now. I was thinking of getting a set of some racks or holders, but was curious if anyone had any experience before really looking for some.

Might be a weird offer but I have a handful of plastic ones that came with something I never use (I have the Root ones as well and they're great), I'd be happy to mail them to you if you're in the US. Should only cost me a buck or so since they're small and light.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

enigmahfc posted:

This may be above and beyond what you have access to or feel like doing but if you've got some old 2x4s or other blocks of wood lying around and haven't tried to barter them for gold or platinum, you can easily just cut them into pieces with a skillsaw and then do a shallow cut again in the middle and that will hold them there cards real good. I have family that have these floating around for grandparents that can't hold their cards either.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Sometimes I get the urge to play the original milestones again but the new ones just speed the game up so much it’s hard to justify the extra time if you’re playing with more than 3.

Did you ever either change the Marketing guy or come to grips with it in FCM Ketchup?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We have played without the -2 range the last few times and it feels like recruiter and trainer have a better shot then. Trainer can do big things in time and Recruiter is pretty safe all around and can compete late game with marketer this way. Marketer is still crazy good, guaranteeing first lemonade sale and getting free hires needed to make their early game work on top of having guaranteed income all game is always going to be strong.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

FulsomFrank posted:

Did you try to have your own little private fief of hyper expensive food?
I did. My early game strategy was a unique combination of both producing food and then selling it for money. This collapsed almost immediately once my opponents introduced “drinks” to the market.

My ultimate downfall was carpet bombing the neighbourhood in Burger flyers to clog up the market, with the plan of picking up the one and only Burger Chef in town the following round. This did not happen.

There was a little bit of price gouging in the late game that ended up being key in determining the victor, but I spent that portion of the game largely trying to tally up how many of my own feet I’d shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
How is Nemesis as a solo board game? Worth it for that alone, with the thought other people will join later after I know it well enough to teach?