Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Qud good, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Samopsa posted:

lighting wizard is the easiest way to win imo.
This quick guide from Kanos is good:

alternatively: fireball -> nightmare aura -> ghostfire and nightmare aura upgrades, not necessarily in that order -> you're good for a while and have a flexible build that generates self-replicating-ish ghosts with a fire ranged attack and loads of immunities

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyone still play Sil-Q 1.5 looking for advice on how to actually do a build to win the game instead of dying at 500 feet.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

explosivo posted:

Sounds like maybe now is the time to check out Qud if I've had it on my wishlist for what feels like ages?

The best time to try Caves of Qud is yesterday. The next best time is today. The next best time after that is tomorrow.

Qud real good.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Caves of Gud

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Has anyone played Approaching Infinity? Any good?

I can say two things about Approaching Infinity based on 6 hours of playing it.

1) It has the illusion of there being an absurd amount of things to do
2) But if that absurd amount of things to do actually exists I have no idea how to access it

A lot of it is seemingly very cool but I could not find a way to do anything other than land on planet -> explore planet -> explore cave (if there is one) -> next planet. Not like the game is super complex or anything like that, but it seems like the kind of game that would be packed full of unique explorables and puzzles and events but then... it's not. Every screen (that I found) was just uncovering fog of war and shooting at things you found in it.

The artifacts and their identification system is kind of cool but all the rest of the gear is pure numbers and rather unexciting, or allows you to deal with a specific obstacle (mountains, water, etc) so you equip it when exploring a relevant planet. There weren't cool or interesting skills to earn or viable trade or more than the most barebones character development or anything along those lines. It's a box meant to hold an extremely rad game and maybe one day there will be one there but I just can't find it when I look inside the box :confused: And most importantly there wasn't really anything to do - not even in a "make your own goals" sense because all of the mechanical systems are so sparsely populated with content that there's just not a way to meaningfully engage with them.

I have honestly felt like I'm just missing something every time I've played it because it seems like there's more to it, buried somewhere, but in 6 hours of digging I never found it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 26, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Caves of Gud

not an emptyquote

counterpoint however, while I think Caves of Qud is one of the best roguelikes and probably one of the best games of the last decade period, it's not Done

and this sucks, because if you play through it, you will hit a point where you will go 'AHHHHH WHY IS IT NOT DONE' and your suffering will last years

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
That's true, but also the current end of the story content in Qud is insanely cool and makes a great finale to a playthrough. I definitely want to see where it goes next but it doesn't end on a cliffhanger or anything, it's a climactic and satisfying end of act.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i feel like i need to add the disclaimer every time that's brought up that what's already in the game is way beyond what the vast majority of early access games offer or might ever offer, and that it actively gets updates like every week along with the devs being super active with engaging with the community. there's lategame stuff that acts as kind of a minor victory already and there's some wild poo poo to see that you're absolutely not going to just sleepwalk into experiencing the moment you pick the game up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i oughta get a usb numpad or something so i can try that again

i've spent 20 years carefully not learning vi keys and you ain't making me do it now :colbert:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is there stuff to do in Qud when after you beat the main story? I'm just curious, I have less than 20 hours so far so im still learning the game (and I love it)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

reposting from the steam thread:

quote:

I'll just throw out a Game Awareness Post for Golden Light here. it's one of the most inscrutable things I've ever touched, kind of bullshit sometimes, and still the most captivating first person roguelite I've played. out of all the roguelites I've played it's the one that comes the closest to capturing the feel of an actual roguelike, where it's not clear what anything does, what's friendly and what will try to kill you, what kinds of tricks you can use to get an edge, when to fight and when to run, what good play even looks like, etc. I'm not gonna categorically recommend it or anything, because I mean fuckin' look at it, only you can say whether it might be your thing or not, but I've enjoyed what I've played of it more than expected. I think I'm about halfway to the end?

it also now has online coop, and while it was pretty buggy when I last played, I enjoyed what I played of it and there's been bugfixes since then so it could be better now.

This game is literally too unsettling for me to play :eyepop: Not scary, but unnerving. No thanks I don't want to wander around a giant living meat-house full of mimics that attacks me with its doors as I walk by and things like that. I made it halfway through floor 3 before I chickened out

Seems really good though!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 26, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dor has got me!

Face eater ate my face!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Late to the party but have discovered Dead Cells. Pray for me.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Lawman 0 posted:

Anyone still play Sil-Q 1.5 looking for advice on how to actually do a build to win the game instead of dying at 500 feet.

I don't know anything about the Q fork as I didn't like its proposed changes when it was being initially discussed, but going from what I remember of vanilla from years ago:

The idea here is to enter 400' strongly, and just learn how to die a lot to get further.
Default elf, 3-5-5-3
->Get some smithing early (THIS MAY HAVE CHANGED IN SIL-Q) and at the first forge give yourself armoursmithing and artistry. Get a +2 deflection round shield, a good leather armour, and another improved armour item.**
->Sword+board, don't buy combat skills until something juicy drops. Simple +atk/def stats go a long way.
->Skip 250'. Straight up. It's the natural depth of orc archers, and the time it takes to chase down one pack is NOT worth it, nevermind the whole 'infinite reinforcing archer pack' syndrome. 300' isn't much more dangerous and can be rerolled if it is, but you'll get a lot more xp/loot per turn spent on it.
->**Alternative (or continuation thereof) smithing with enchantment instead of artistry allows for +light, which is a very big deal around 500' when all the shadow poo poo starts to pop up. Very RNG on if a good idea due to forges. This may have changed since.

There's a lot more advice about getting to 400', but since you're asking about 500' I'll assume you can get there reliably and are just dying to all the wonderful new poo poo you keep finding. Most advice is "just keep dying/learning" and "get more light", but I will say that 500-600' is roughly when I'd start heavily buying combat tricks and get my 'shtick' online. Hopefully these still apply: Zone of Control is a Big Deal. Combined with flanking, you can take a step diagonally backwards attacking someone, but they'll try to walk with you alongside their friends to set up the surround, resulting in an extra 1-2 ZoC procs. In this manner, you can turn the biggest threat in the game, packs of monsters who take forever to clear in a corridor or will surround+murder you in an open room, and beat them with their own game. Step into a (well-lit) room, let them try to walk around you as you 'slide' around the edges of the pack. You'll be pushing out 2-4 attacks per turn while only getting 0-1 returned. The pack usually folds quickly and panic-flees after a few of them die in quick succession. Opportunist extends this into more attacks that finish off the panicking injured guys as they try to step back, without even chasing. Getting all of that is expensive, but it's the gist of what you're aiming for by 600-700'. Alternative shticks are controlled retreat (with Polearm mastery?) to allow infinite kiting, knockback, etc. I generally didn't run heavy weapons and charge/knockback builds, although good players have shown how to break them game with it. Very very lategame uses rapid attack + potions to mulch the throne room, but that's a different ballpark.

Again, all of those toys cost a crazy amount of xp to buy, and most of the threats around 500' are quick resist checks. Shadow/light, Poison (werewolves! deal poison!), stat drains, invisibility, cursed items, etc. Just have to keep playing/dying/learning about them to know when to emergency-buy skills to deal with it and how to prep in advance (allllways be floating xp to panic-buy skills). The other half is being so buff that every time there's a fair fight you totally wreck them, which is hard to pull off with raw stats and so why having a shtick ready to commit to is important.

I hope that's useful, and feel free to post a morgue if you want some deconstruction of a build.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Samopsa posted:

lighting wizard is the easiest way to win imo.
This quick guide from Kanos is good:

You can do some variations on lightning wizard too, like taking Death Bolt first, and then chain lightning (with the goal of getting the lightning shield upgrade ) , ghostball, the restless dead, and the necrostatics skill. You can pump chain lightning to ridiculous damage and shield your ever growing undead horde.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Kvlt! posted:

Is there stuff to do in Qud when after you beat the main story? I'm just curious, I have less than 20 hours so far so im still learning the game (and I love it)

In the sense of making your own fun, sure. There's a lot of postgame-difficulty areas to explore, so like others before you you can always set yourself the final quest of 'kill a Chrome Pyramid', or see how far downwards you can get before something weird turns you to stone or disintegrates all your limbs.

Or, you can just fill out your journal. Get the full story on the Sultans! Make friends with Literally Everyone!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dig greedily and dig deep til the heat literally vaporizes you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Also, the main storyline in Qud goes very deep at the moment, it will be a long time until you're good enough to live long enough to see it to its end. The EA part of the game is (imo) mostly in its UI.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Did a bit of SOTS: The Pit 2 (very early access) at the weekend. It's very much the same old game revisited, which, to me, is a good thing. It's simpler due to not having the overwhelming amount of options/loot/recipes as the original and its expansions, but otherwise it's the same world, same foes, same props, albeit everything is rebalanced for the new game. All in all, that's the good stuff.

On the bad side however, the switch from overhead sprites to 3d is far from perfect. The atmosphere is different which is neither good nor bad: it goes from funky cartoony scifi to gritty scifi corridors, so that's really down to taste. However visibility is reduced a lot. Graphics are busy with decorative stuff on the ground, plenty of non-interactable furniture around the few interactable props, and the "free" 3d camera only helps after a fashion. You won't find an angle that works all the time and shows you everything in the character's LOS, meaning that you'll always waste time rotating/zooming/pitching the camera to see what's past a door, or in that corner, or obscured by a wall. Or to attach a monster through a doorway, but the doorway blocks the monster model so you have to rotate the camera so that you get the monster model on screen to be able to click on it.

Worse, lighting, at least in the early dark floors, is atmospheric but a gameplay nuisance. Everything's super dark apart from a tiny radius (1 tile iirc) around you and a narrow cone of light in front of the character. Foes only appear if within the cone, so should a monster be at a 50 degree angle from your facing, it's not on screen. Now, rotating the character is free, and done through the mouse, so you can spin and scan what's around any time. Which basically means that while you're expected to have the information (monster 2 tiles away 50 degrees left, ammo crate 3 tiles away 90 degrees right), you have to manually spin the light to access it. And monsters disappear again from screen once you rotate the light away. At the end of the day, it's stupidly time-wasting to get a mental picture of your surroundings each turn.

Now, the first game had that after a fashion (pretty but mechanically useless LOS), but it was reversed: the blind angle was the narrow cone behind, so most of the screen was visible. And between that and the overhead map, it meant that you immediately saw everything in a room when entering it.

Now all that said, it just came out in EA, so it remains to be seen whether the visibility issue remains. Right now, scanning things with the mouse torchlight and camera zooming/rotating is a big part of the game loop, which, to me, doesn't sit well for a turn-based roguelike. I like my information to be concisely laid out, not having a zooming minigame to acquire it every turn.

Otherwise, there are little bugs all over the place but well, that's expected and very much the point of EA to have them spotted and fixed, so I don't mind those.

Early verdict: it's sold for a tenner right now, so pick it up if you enjoyed the first game and feel like getting a very early peek at a reboot of it, but be aware that spinning the camera is a heavy part of the game right now. They're asking for feedback on the Steam forums too so that's your chance to possibly highlight some issuees. I have done so about the visibility, now it's up to them to do what they feel like, it's their baby after all. Skip if you didn't like the original and/or want your map information to be clearly accessible.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

thanks for the info on the pit 2. i bought the first game but i bounced off it kinda hard because it seemed very difficult and was fairly early on in its release (i forget if it was an early access game or predates early access). it looks like theres a lot of DLCs for it, including a necromancer, so i might try it again.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

juggalo baby coffin posted:

thanks for the info on the pit 2. i bought the first game but i bounced off it kinda hard because it seemed very difficult and was fairly early on in its release (i forget if it was an early access game or predates early access). it looks like theres a lot of DLCs for it, including a necromancer, so i might try it again.

The Pit *is* difficult for sure. It's mostly designed around attrition, so resource management is a constant preoccupation. Everything is a limited resource. Turns are a limited resource due to the hunger bar. Food items can be crafted into more nutrional meals, but these food items are in limited supply. And there are limited cookers in the dungeon, and you can only use each so many times before it breaks down. And the portable EZ-cooker has a limited number of charges. Ammo, obviously, is in limited supply. But more than that: weapons durability degrades with use and on some other events (acid attacks, being caught in an explosion...). Armours degrade too, of course. There are repair stations around, but they'll only work so many times before shutting down and repairing an item will permanently lower its max durability, so you can only repair an item so many times before it breaks down again after a few uses.

That sounds a bit horrible, and to be fair, it kind of is. But there's something neat about it in the end. It's just an extra dimension around which you play. So you don't necessarily open every room, and you certainly don't fully clear every floor. You take a look in a promising room (ex: armoury), and assess if looting that locker for a chance at a gun drop is worth what the security bots will cost you in health/ammo/durability. If the cost is too high, well you skip that one. Funnily enough, that resource scarcity also incentivises the use of some of said resources, such as grenades. If you had no hunger bar, no durability, plenty of ammo and unlimited time to heal, you'd try and save grenades by tanking every fight. But with all these, suddenly a grenade is a terribly efficient resource that costs a lot less than what tanking would cost you.

There are some funky items/props too if your character is techie enough. Like you can disarm/carry/deploy traps, which amongst other things is a great way to skip the last few levels with "deep descent" type traps that teleport you down. Some security props can be hacked and turned against the dungeon mobs. Berserk gas grenades and emp stuff will similarly pit mobs against each other, etc.

The main issue imho is the crafting recipes. They are unknown and you can either try them randomly (if you succeed, the recipe is then known in your codex, some form of metaprogression), or you can discover them by deciphering messages on the many computers of the dungeon. But crafting is so critical to the game that you don't stand a chance until you have enough core recipes known. So I'd advise to either use the wiki for recipes, or, better, use the 'Quality of Life' mod (it's somewhere in the Steam discussion sections) which is a variant of a big Player Mod. The QoL mod doesn't change the game balance/items/monsters, it just adds handy shortcuts, numbers on screen, and comes with an "unlock all recipes" button.

Oh, there are also weird "blue rooms" on floors 5, 10 and 15. You can throw XP and items in special lockers there, and then you'll have the option to start a new character in that room. New character will be able to withdraw xp and items. Since there's no limit to how many characters can drop xp/items before you withdraw, it's a silly option for an easier start. I don't really like it, but well, it doesn't hurt that it's there for whoever feels like using it.

On character classes, note that difficulty varies wildly between them. Not only do they have different starting kits and some have special abilities, but they also have xp multipliers (increasing/reducing xp gained), hunger multipliers, and difficulty multipliers (the mercernary for example, will encounter tougher mobs a lot earlier than anyone else). For a rule of thumb, more movement is great, more skill points per level is great, and psychic powers range from super handy to trivialising entire parts of the game. That means fast generalists like Scout/Ranger are pretty good and new player friendly (Scout can build up solid psi skills if you regularly invest), and Psion/Seeker are super strong once you get past the early levels and you get into spamming psi. Some classes that look like powerhouses are actually let down by other aspects (Marine can only shoot, Warrior has insane racial penalties and very few armour options, Mercenary is super hungry and faces tougher mobs straight away...). Necromancer, I'm afraid, is possibly the most difficult character. I haven't done much with him, but he's solidly rock bottom in all the discussions I have seen about classes.

It's not the best roguelike in the world, but it's solidly one of my all time favourites. Its attritional design and funky scifi theme endeared it to me over time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:toot:

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Cannot believe people would risk themselves on an early access game called "Sword of the Stars... 2".

Far braver than I.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Theswarms posted:

Cannot believe people would risk themselves on an early access game called "Sword of the Stars... 2".

Far braver than I.

It helps that I never played the Sword of the Stars games, I guess. I only played the Pit games (oh, and the hex wargame, which is a bit weirder than it should, but is otherwise ok, pity it failed so badly they shelved all extra factions).

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

drat, that's impressive! i should give the soul survivor mode a try, maybe it will make me better at the main game! i did manage to unlock 2 more character classes today, and get to the final biome of the longest adventure mode, but i tragically died to some kind of grim reaper monster.

i have been having a lovely day today so to make myself feel better i am going to do another long post about games i have played.

A Robot Named Fight - i have written at length about this one in the past but it has been updated a lot since then, and together with Spirits Abyss it is my golden hidden gem of all time. You can boil it down to metroid + isaac, but that kind of does it a disservice. It's a very finely tuned, very retro metroidvania game, 8 directions of fire, finding weapons and abilities to unlock new areas, all that jazz. It has beautiful 90s style spritework and I really wish I could see it on a CRT monitor because I bet it looks even more incredible there.

the first screen of your first game, most likely
You play as a robot called Fight-[number of your run], you are the first military robot produced in a long time by a peaceful race of robots who inherited the earth after the humans and the robot gods ascended. But a hideous megabeast of flesh has arrived from space and is destroying the peaceful robot realm! oh no! It's up to you and any robot friends you meet along the way to restore peace to the world.

every robot is named after their job, this guy makes helpful companion orbs
What is special to me about this game is how well it generates branching metroidvania style runs on the fly. Like in metroid different areas are barred by you not having the ability needed to access them, and so it's a case of searching around and fighting bosses until you find the power that will let you move on to the next zone. But unlike metroid, there are sooo loving many abilities and weapons. On one run you might need to find the light orb to follow you around and illuminate a pitch dark zone, other times you might need the ability to turn into a tiny spider droid to fit through a gap, other times you might need the lightning gun to hit switches inside walls.

There are shitloads of bosses, biomes, enemies, and the number just increases as you play the game. I think the number of unique runs the game can generate is up to something over 4 billion, it's been out for 3 years and it keeps updating. A lot of the time procedural generation games will tout these huge numbers and it will boil down to effectively a handful of real variations and a ton of minor variations on those themes. But because of the tight gameplay, and the way the variables are stuff like different abilities and weapons rather than statistical modifications to the same weapons, A Robot Named Fight avoids all that poo poo.

There are also variations on the solution to each obstacle. Like some stuff will be blocked off by platforms that are too high for you to jump on, but the solution to that from run to run could be a triple jump power, jet boots, or wall jumping. Getting under a small space could be the spider drone mode (similar to metroid's ball) or it could be a dead cells-style slide roll. A common obstacle is elementally aligned flesh walls blocking off doorways, and for each element there are multiple solutions.

You have your infinite blaster which is upgradeable with stuff like fire rate, charge modes, elements, the ability for shots to pass through walls, ricochet shots, replacing the projectile with rockets. But there are also collectible weapons which run on energy and you can swap back and forth from, which are much more diverse in form. There's chain lightning, sawblade launchers, flamethrowers, grenade launchers, super lasers, mine launchers, i feel like im understating the amount of them by listing so few.

As you play the game you unlock more enemy types, more enemy family variations (eg poison versions of normal enemies, cloaking versions), more biomes, more bosses, more weapons, more powers, more of basically everything. By the time you get to the number of hours I have in the game the game is a lot different to the game someone just starting will be playing. It's more difficult but also more varied. I don't want it to sound like it's a case of quantity over quality either, because I've yet to encounter anything I've unlocked that I actively wish I could re-lock, as was so often the case in isaac (loving soy milk powerup).

When i first played this game I had never played a metroid game or a megaman game, so it was a pretty big learning curve for me. The game is classically 'nintendo hard', and shares the thing with metroid where when you leave a screen and return the enemies will repopulate. This has the advantage of meaning you can always resupply on health and energy from enemy drops, but also means you have to fight them again. You can find teleport rooms to prevent having to backtrack too much, but they tend to be one teleporter per biome.

The places the game differs from metroid is obviously in the setting, the enemies are all freakish meat beasts who explode into chunks (chunks which have gameplay purposes, many of the orb companions will eat them and turn them into powerups), and there are also tantalizing hints of robot-society lore. You can find shrines to the robot gods, who will reward you for donations of scrap (just make sure it's in multiples of their sacred number) with different blessings and items depending on the god. There are a fair amount of friendly shopkeepers robots (and non robots) who have fun dialogue and unique personalities.

ARNF manages to be a roguelike metroidvania without making the classic mistake so many of its type do, which is muddying the classic gameplay with a bunch of required metaprogression and overwhelming stats. It's classic gameplay enhanced by modern roguelike variety, rather than being dragged down by the trappings of the genre.

I think the reason it's not one of the Big roguelites now is that it is a one man project with basically 0 advertising budget, and it came out originally around the exact same time as Dead Cells. Also the name is kind of goofy. it makes sense in-game, but it sounds Farking Epic and Wacky at first glance.

It's available on steam and switch and I hope you will give it a shot:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/603530/A_Robot_Named_Fight/

Void Bastards - so far ive been very positive about basically every game I've talked about, and i'm worried that makes me sound completely un-discerning, so im going to talk about a game that kind of pissed me off. Void Bastards is a roguelite take on the bioshock/systemshock/shockshock formula. It was billed as being made by industry veterans who formed a new studio, although now I can't find poo poo all about that now. Anyway, it started at a high price for a roguelite game (£25 here, not sure of the conversion) and got a comparatively huge amount of advertising and hype behind it.

It's a pretty solid base for a game. It's darkly humorous, you're an inmate on a prison ship trying to fix the ship you're on so that you can escape a nebula of shipwrecks. There's wacky bureaucracy! the shotgun is a stapler! mutant office guys! it's got a nice cel shaded art style, there are a lot of cute touches here and there. The primary gameplay is based around scavenging shipwrecks, expending as few resources as possible, then escaping to craft new equipment and upgrades using the stuff you scavenged.

But the problem is that there's just not very much content here. If you've played an hour of it you've played basically all the game has to offer. And it's fun while you're still enjoying that specific gameplay loop. I got a decent amount of time out of the game. But part of the initial enjoyment of the loop is that there's going to be some hidden progression and secrets beneath that, that the game is actually going somewhere. But it's not, and as soon your recognise that fact, the spell that had made you want to keep playing breaks. The 'story' is doing the exact same thing three times on slightly harder ships. It's a very shallow game that is hidden by great presentation.

It's also extremely heavy on the metaprogression front, when you die you lose your current food and ammo and resources, but anything you've unlocked stays unlocks, which includes both access to more powerful items and passive upgrades to the character.

Void Bastards could have been a great game, but the sum total of the post release updates were bugfixes and one paid DLC which added a weapon and some random events you could run into. most often the deal with roguelite games is that they come with a certain amount of post release support. You buy into a good base, and the depth of content is filled out over time. And the high price relative to the genre norm suggested that void bastards would be the same. But it's a game with less content than most early access games have when they first go into early access, and it's now totally abandoned as far as I can tell. It's entirely fair to suggest a level of 'buyer beware' with these things, and it's ultimately my fault for buying it, but it feels like a cynical move. It has just enough content to seem absolutely amazing for the timescale that a critic is going to be playing the game, so it has rave reviews, but it also has no longevity, and no story to make up for that lack of longevity.

It's fun for a few hours, but really not worth the price.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Giantbomb couldn't stop gushing about Void Bastards when it came out and I finally got to play it on gamepass like a year after and thought it sucked. The aesthetic was great but the guns felt lame, I was already seeing the same type of ships multiple times in like an hour of gameplay, and there was nothing particularly engaging about the upgrade path to keep me interested.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like the concept of Void Bastards, it sort of reminds me of Heat Signature a little bit (which is amazing, everyone should play it), but it just has no content. Like, you can play for a few hours and you've already seen everything.
It needs like 10 times more layouts and different ship/security systems and such.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack Trades posted:

I like the concept of Void Bastards, it sort of reminds me of Heat Signature a little bit (which is amazing, everyone should play it), but it just has no content. Like, you can play for a few hours and you've already seen everything.
It needs like 10 times more layouts and different ship/security systems and such.

Yeah I think this is where I landed with it too. I liked the setup for it a lot but I was seeing the same ship layouts a half hour in and nothing about the combat was really grabbing me at all.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I enjoyed Void Bastards enough to finish it. It feels like an actiony version of the gameplay loop of Decker. Lots of short missions, then escaping back to base with your loot to upgrade your poo poo. Any other recommendations of this style of roguelike? I've been chasing that Decker feel for a long time.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
You also end up with something like 3-4 resurrections, a giant health pool, and all kinds of stuff that kind of trivialises the difficulty. I played it on a tiny rear end Switch Lite screen and towards the last hour(s) I'd just run through everything and there was no way any enemies could do enough damage to stop me.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

The next region is in the game, but not yet in the ques so there's that.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Man, I think I'm always in the minority when it comes to Void Bastards. I've got 52 hours in it, beat it on the hardest difficulty with permadeath on.

And the big thing is, yeah I do agree with you guys on a lot of it. It is in a lot of ways repetitive, and could use a lot more content. But I just also find what is there to be extremely well done. In particular I really like the resource management. Every ship you're going to need to deal with between 1-3 enemy types, plus ship security. Each enemy type is wildly different, and each usually has a couple of key weaknesses to certain weapons. Since you only have 3 weapon slots, the choices you have to make are very important: it can be difficult to cover all your bases with the weapons you have, and sometimes you're forced to bring a subpar option for a normally easy enemy. You can't really rely on the same weapon over and over again, because it's super easy to run out of ammo, so you also have to be concerned about rotating your weapons to conserve ammo. And sure, you have some amount of stealth to rely on, but enemies can clog up chokepoints, and you do need to be moving somewhat quickly lest the oxygen timer gets you. It's pretty consistently tense, in a good way.

I think the meta layer also plays into it a bit. Especially early on you have almost nothing, so you've gotta be extremely careful with what ships you pick, while trying to make your way to a bunch of the important early upgrades. You can skip ships, but your constant need for food and fuel will likely push you towards some risky plays out of necessity. There's a pretty constant risk/reward struggle, with the threat of death constantly hanging over your head.

Though I think the funniest thing about this is that pretty much all this tension isn't there on Normal with Permadeath off. Take all the risks you want, it really doesn't matter. If you die, you'll just respawn with some fuel and food, and some ammo for weapons. You can basically just plow through the game and pretty much everything I like about it doesn't actually end up mattering. Which, in many ways, is probably the reason my opinion's so different from everyone elses.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I liked Void Bastards well enough to finish a campaign, but by the end I was pretty Done with it; a feeling that a new campaign on higher difficulty didn't resolve

(On the winning campaign I had it on Hard instead of Normal for whatever that's worth; the followup was whatever's just above Hard)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is Spirits Abyss meant to feel like I'm playing in slow motion? I like the aesthetic but had to put it down after like 10 minutes because the slo-mo was getting on my nerves.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would echo all of this as someone who put 70-something hours into the game with several hard bastard ironman runs and emphasize how much the meta layer defines the game on harder difficulties. all of the decision-making within a mission is in the context of your outside resources and goals, and everything’s a cost-benefit evaluation where you’re squeezing everything you can get within your limited o2 timer and need to know when something isn’t worth the risk. the decisions on the star map are very engaging for the same reason.

problem is that all of this only applies on harder difficulties because normal difficulty absolutely showers you with resources and lets you take enormous amounts of damage, so there’s none of that pressure and the interesting decisions aren’t there. My uninformed guess is that the game was designed around hard or hard bastard, but their testers were extremely bad and they overcompensated way too much around them.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1453029406528577538?s=20

Darkest Dungeon 2 Early Access is out on the epic store. You can sign up for a newsletter (and directly cancel it) for a 10 bucks off coupon if you want to grab it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is Spirits Abyss meant to feel like I'm playing in slow motion? I like the aesthetic but had to put it down after like 10 minutes because the slo-mo was getting on my nerves.

i'm not entirely sure what you mean, as far as i can tell its got a similar game speed to mario or spelunky

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i'm not entirely sure what you mean, as far as i can tell its got a similar game speed to mario or spelunky

OK, after watching some gameplay clips, it's apparent that I'm having pretty serious lag with this game. It's probably bottlenecking at my graphics card (GTX 970) as my CPU is a i7-10700k. Weird for a 2D pixel game to do this.

edit: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1078200/discussions/0/3034852313316980441/ Gonna try this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's definitely not intended. There's a sticky thread on the Steam forum about this issue, might help:

caiys posted:

Some people have been experiencing an issue where playing the game in Fullscreen caps the FPS at 45, making the game feel slow to play as it's supposed to run at 60 FPS. This seems to be a somewhat common-ish problem in Windows 10 that can affect a lot of games, but there is a solution.

- Find the game's exe file, which is usually located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Spirits Abyss
- Right-click the file and click Properties, then click the Compatibility tab at the top. Tick the "Disable full-screen optimisations" box then OK.

Alternatively there's a Beta branch called AltBuild you can try, which uses a newer engine build. You can access it by right clicking Spirits Abyss in your Library, then click Properties and then the Beta tab. It seems to have fixed the issue for those testing it so far.