Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Hey guys, I am in the market for a new 65" television. I just got a PS5 and want to move on up from my 1080p 48" TV.

I want it to have 4 HDMI ports. One for my PS5, Apple TV, and Switch, and eARC for my Sonos Arc soundbar. Is there a standard goon recommended one? Not really looking to go OLED at this time since I want to keep the budget lower than current OLED offerings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

TCL 6 series or Sony 900 or whatever

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

FilthyImp posted:

It's not the C1, but anyone looking to get into the OLED game should wait for Black Friday

wow yeah, that deal is sick

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
The A1 is a 60Hz panel instead of a 120Hz one, correct?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I saw that tv for $1200 at BB a couple of weeks ago too

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Animale posted:

The A1 is a 60Hz panel instead of a 120Hz one, correct?

Yes, dimmer than the C1 too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, to be clear it's definitely not the panel to get for your PS5. But for someone that's doing the "ehhh, Samsung QX MiniLED or OLED" dance it is probably a pro pick.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It's been a long time since I've been in the market for anything on Black Friday. How does it work these days? Do the deals actually all come out on the day, or do "Black Friday" deals just trickle out throughout November?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CottonWolf posted:

It's been a long time since I've been in the market for anything on Black Friday. How does it work these days? Do the deals actually all come out on the day, or do "Black Friday" deals just trickle out throughout November?
The latter. Though they still reserve some things for doorbusters, you can do a pretty decent job just logging in and adding poo poo to carts.

You'll be getting a few smaller markdowns here and there, but the $200 85" TV is probably their BF 6am-10am special.

Granted, supplies are hosed this year...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I was at Best Buy last week and man they had to have 500 TV's sitting there ready. Just in the one store.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm gathering after a few weeks of 4K tv ownership that 4K cable TV is largely non-existent as of now is that right? At least with Xfinity I see that there's a couple football games and the world series being broadcast in 4K but everything else just redirects to apps and stuff to stream. I kind of figured by now the cable companies would've gotten on board but I guess it's still just too expensive to broadcast everything in 4K?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

explosivo posted:

I'm gathering after a few weeks of 4K tv ownership that 4K cable TV is largely non-existent as of now is that right?
Cable companies love to compress the poo poo out of their images

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FilthyImp posted:

Well I just mean I'm discovering that there's a lack of 4k channels on TV in general. I'm sure the quality of cable 4K is compressed to hell and back but it's hard finding really any info about what Xfinity offers and how to get it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you care about video quality, you aren't watching shows on cable. Maybe OnDemand on cable, but certainly not as a linear feed either live or DVR.

Most shows are made with at least HDR workflows now if not 4k and it's crazy that for the vast majority of them, there's no way to watch it like that.

GreenNight posted:

I was at Best Buy last week and man they had to have 500 TV's sitting there ready. Just in the one store.

All retailers are stockpiling product in the runup to the holidays because the supply chain is hosed (part of the reason for that is this stockpiling) and they are convinced that consumer spending is back for this year.

Expect a lot of fire sales in January.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 26, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FilthyImp posted:

this

Also, they still think 720p is current tech. :effort:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

bull3964 posted:

If you care about video quality, you aren't watching shows on cable. Maybe OnDemand on cable, but certainly not as a linear feed either live or DVR.

Most shows are made with at least HDR workflows now if not 4k and it's crazy that for the vast majority of them, there's no way to watch it like that.

yeah I gotcha, I am definitely not expecting high video quality from comcast. It was really just a surprise to see 4k adoption in sports broadcasts specifically seems to be lagging. The C1 fortunately does a phenomenal job upscaling so for decent quality HD broadcasts like NBC football games it looks great anyway so it's not like it's a problem to watch the normal HD broadcasts for sports and take the occasional 4K football game streamed on Amazon.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

4k tier on YouTubeTV looks great, on the 3-4 football games each weekend that use it. Not at all worth the $20 upcharge though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I still remember the first time I saw hockey in HD years ago. And it hasn't changed since and now looks like poo poo to me while everyone who comes in my house remarks how clear my TV looks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rogers got nhl exclusivity and being Rogers, hasn't improved a loving thing since getting their monopoly.

nerox
May 20, 2001

codo27 posted:

TCL 6 series or Sony 900 or whatever

Went with a 65” Tcl 6 series, it was on sale at Best Buy and saved me $300 over the Vizio I was looking at.

Get to pick it up tomorrow.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

CottonWolf posted:

Best Buy at least has a price match guarantee if the price drops during your return window - I think other retailers do as well, but BB is the only one I’m positive about (took advantage of it last week and it was painless).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Rogers got nhl exclusivity and being Rogers, hasn't improved a loving thing since getting their monopoly.

Meanwhile Bell keeps touting this "5g view" poo poo on every broadcast on TSN that has nothing at all to do with 5g. But at least its a sorta cool feature. By now I figure you'd be able to select which camera view you prefer when watching hockey. At least when doing it through a web based service.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ah, a return to the useless MULTICAM VIEW of early DVDs

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Every so often I think about giving up 3d for a newer bigger tv, then I do something stupid like watch Coraline in 3d.

Goddamn I love the C6's passive 3d. In that movie, the actually use 3d as part of the storytelling. In the real world, the depth effect is normal to a bit flat, in the other world, the depth effect is dialed up to 11. It really works in the context of the story how everything is "extra" on the other side.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

Every so often I think about giving up 3d for a newer bigger tv, then I do something stupid like watch Coraline in 3d.

Goddamn I love the C6's passive 3d. In that movie, the actually use 3d as part of the storytelling. In the real world, the depth effect is normal to a bit flat, in the other world, the depth effect is dialed up to 11. It really works in the context of the story how everything is "extra" on the other side.

I moved my C6 to the bedroom after the power supply got fried in a lightning storm and they upgraded me to a 65" C9. It's nice to still pop a 3D movie on when I want and I've got spare boards for the entire thing should anything happen to it down the road. It's easily the best 3D TV I've ever seen.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Coraline is one my daughter and I's favorite movies. I can't imagine seeing it like that. Almost makes me want to track down a C6 and 3D BD player just for that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In the opening when the needle is pushed through the cloth toward the "camera" is one of the most impressive uses of 3d in any medium I've seen.

The passive 3d on OLEDs is just so perfect. It's just polarized so no flicker. HDR headroom allows the display to get bright enough to compensate for the polarization drop without elevating black levels because, you know, it's OLED. Alignment of the polarization filter on the display is perfect so there's zero crosstalk which can happen in the theater due to tiny misalignments.

I've been meaning to check in PSVR to see if it comes remotely close, but I know crosstalk is an issue in vr so likey not.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

explosivo posted:

yeah I gotcha, I am definitely not expecting high video quality from comcast. It was really just a surprise to see 4k adoption in sports broadcasts specifically seems to be lagging.

4K is such a pain in the rear end to deal with at a production level. It's totally different to work with compared to 720p/1080i/1080p... and on top of that you have to rebuild the broadcasts trucks to support it. There are very few native 4k broadcast trucks. NEP/GameCreek (companies that support Super Bowl/World Series) I think have 1 maybe 2 each. Most of your non-prestige 4k broadcasts are just upscaled 1080p. Even this year's Super Bowl on CBS was just upscaled 1080p.

1080p/HDR is the sweet spot and will see much wider adoption very soon.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Ah, a return to the useless MULTICAM VIEW of early DVDs

The MLB app had more than one TV feed on some games, and I really liked that feature as you could choose the play by play commentators you preferred.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Calling all UK goons. Until this morning at 0400 my stepson had a 43" Samsung UE40NU7120 that we got him for Christmas a few years ago.

It was not aeroplanes, twas my stepson killed the TV. Smashed it with his controller accidentally.

Anyway, after subtracting excess, I'm getting £230 from our house insurance. Does Black Friday or the January sales usually produce better deals? Our main suppliers in my region would be Curry's or Richer Sounds. Would like to get the best TV for around £350. Thoughts?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Scored a 2 pack of these cables at costco yesterday for 9.97, but noticed that while it says 8k, it doesn't say HDMI 2.1 anywhere on the packaging. If I'd known my info off the top of my head, I'd have known that its not as the 18gbps gives it away. 2.0 cant do 8k at all, right? Not that I need it for that, but the actual 2.1 would have been nice for the future. Still not a bad steal to replace some of my 7 or 8 year old MP cables

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
2.0 can technically do 8k at 30 FPS

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The key metric is the bandwidth, current standards max out at 48gbps and those are labeled 18. There is an official designation of "Ultra High Speed Certified" to look out for but I don't know if they're really certified or they just give the HDMI forum a couple bucks per unit.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I've finally decided I need to get a soundbar for my LG B7 after years of just using the built in speakers, just a few too many things where it's hard to hear the dialogue. Not really concerned about bass, surround, etc.

I'm super sensitive to audio sync issues, and this seems to be an issue with the LG tvs when using the internal apps with external speakers, but I can't really tell what combination of source material will cause lag and what won't. Seems like processing heavy content like Dolby Atoms is horrific with lag, but since I presumably wouldn't be buying a soundbar that even supports that, would I get any lag? Or does the TV have to decode the Atmos stream regardless of what is going to be fed to the sound bar?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you do stereo or Dolby Digital and set everything to bitstream there shouldn’t be any lag. There’s no point in sending Atmos or high res to a soundbar, IMO.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Is there a way to do flipped landscape on an LG C9? As in, the tv output would be upside down from the normal layout.

For somewhat complicated reasons that are beyond the scope of the question, I need my tv to be upside down but still display a "normal" picture like it wasn't flipped.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Uhhh https://xyproblem.info/ ?

Would personally love to hear those reasons.

If your source is a computer it’s easy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KS posted:

Would love to hear it as well but also thanks for that link. That is going straight to a bunch of folks at work.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The most important thing for me with a TV is being able to play video files - specifically mkvs - straight from USB. As such, I generally stick with Samsung, who are the only provider I KNOW this will work with. This of course is an issue as I consider upgrading to OLED because they insist on using QLED instead, and my understanding is that while it does have some benefits, it is definitely not as good overall.

So my question is: are there any companies making good OLED TVs who also have models where you can plug USB devices in and they play video files? For example, LG is out because their USB support consists of showing you three folders called Photos, Music, and Videos, none of which have anything in them. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

KS posted:

Idk I think the solution was fairly defined and straightforward but I get what you're saying.

In any case I have a good lead after doing a decent amount of research. A while back LG was having some issues where they were having a service tech replace a mainboard and the resulting image was completely flipped (essentially what I WANT to happen).

To correct this they built a new feature into the service menu that allows you to enable and disable mirror mode, so a tech who experiences this issue can correct it in the software and go about their day.

The service remote that I need will be here tomorrow so I hope that will solve the issue and allow me to do what I need.

BonoMan posted:

Would love to hear it as well

Ok fine. I have another question related to the overall setup so I'll explain what's happening here.

I've been working in simulating the exact arcade files of a game released this year called Sound Voltex: Exceed Gear. It's a pretty involved rhythm game that requires a highly specialized, expensive controller. The controller is made to spec after it's ordered, so the lead time on it is 4-8 weeks. It will finally arrive in the next few days, so I'm doing all of the prep work now.

The newest version of the cabinet uses 120fps panels (which is, as you might suspect, incredible for rhythm games) so I'm using my LG C9 to run the cabinet at 4K/120fps via HDMI 2.1 [EVGA RTX 3080]. By using a low latency OLED and GSYNC it will be a substantially better experience than the actual arcade cabinet.

The issue is, the cabinet runs ONLY in full portrait mode. I don't want to buy an OLED just for Sound Voltex - I could afford it and everything but for space and redundancy reasons it just seems like a strange move.

So I needed a TV mount that would switch a full size 65 inch television from portrait to landscape at will. Not surprisingly, these are exceedingly hard to find and slightly janky. I settled on and installed the following mount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0915RSCC4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the final result when the mount is in landscape mode:

The "problem" is, the mount on a C9 is not exactly in the center of the TV. As a result, the TV actually sits higher than I specced out in my plans, as you can see in the image. As we all know, the center of a TV should be at eye level when possible. To accommodate that (I sit in a Herman Miller Embody which can be raised but doesn't go that high) the TV would ideally be about 6-8 inches lower than it exists now in landscape.

After throwing around some options it became clear that this could be accomplished by flipping the entire TV since the same non-aligned VESA mount issue would actually work in my favor to lower the TV even further if it was upside down. You perform that flip and you get an orientation like this:

As you can see this is basically 100% perfect. The outstanding issue - that is hopefully solved by the service remote, we'll know tomorrow - just being that the image needs to be flipped completely over.

I have the cabinet simulated 100% perfectly, including the 120fps modes in the latest software release. It's so loving cool. I can't wait for the controller to get here this week.

However:

Outstanding issues I still want opinions on:

1) The portrait alignment is almost perfect but not completely level

This is demonstrated in the following image:

In practice this is not bad in person and while you're playing the game you barely notice.

I've considered some solutions... modifying the mount slightly so it locks into place in a different spot while in portrait. That would be the best solution but I'm not very handy with metalwork and frankly the mount is complicated enough that I don't really want to gently caress with it.

There is enough play in the rotation that I can manually make the portrait mode completely level, it just doesn't stay locked there, so it can be fixed.

I could do a padded piece of wood that butts up against the bottom of the panel and levels it. Kinda janky but doable. Or I could just say gently caress it and not care, but since I went far enough to make this cabinet in the first place I feel like it should be level. This project has already taken a lot of time, from sourcing the sim files to running the simulated backend servers and passing the security checks, to getting sound and other things working... anyways it feels dumb to stop now so close to perfection.

Any ideas here?

Issue #2: Sound does not work over HDMI 2.1 (nothing to do with me, simulated cabinets are just finicky because they are only designed for the hardware they specifically run on), forcing me to run the sound out of my computer speakers instead of out of the TV speaker setup, which has a dedicated subwoofer etc. The sound DOES work out of the USB Schiit DAC on my desktop though, which sits opposite the OLED on the other side of the room

This is also not as big of a deal as it sounds because I actually have two exact pairs of the same speakers directly across from each other in the room (lol).

Directly opposite the TV is my desktop which is like so:

Running the sound through this setup would frankly be fine, I wouldn't mind, but I want to find a way to pipe the sound to the receiver through the DAC.

This might be an easy question actually! But I can run an optical out from the DAC to the receiver under the OLED (a Denon X1400H).

So here's the question in a nutshell: Can I run the HDMI 2.1 from my computer to the OLED, providing 4K/120 video, while a second optical cable runs from the DAC to either the OLED or the receiver, providing the sound? For all I know this is simple, just looking for input before I invest in the proper cabling.

I suspect this could be as easy as setting windows to use the DAC, setting it to optical, and running it from there, the potential issue is that the receiver would be on the HDMI 2.1 channel and I don't know if it would work correctly with an optical cable at the same time when it's expecting HDMI 2.1 audio. Thoughts?

A concern here is that running audio and video on separate channels could introduce a mis-syncing between them. That's usually not a giant issue, but on a rhythm game even a small mismatch on audio/video can cause problems, as you might be able to imagine.

Anyways that's basically it, shrug.

Taima fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 1, 2021