Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

genesis is the best one. super gng lags non stop like every early snes action game and its worse than the genesis one. good bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

35. Gradius
the only one of these i played was Gradius 3, and my memory is foggy but this feels like it's the same game. i definitely remember the volcanos and the easter island head level, at least. there's nothing on the wikipedia page or else i would assume that they're both just ports of the arcade version and gradius 3 is a more faithful adaptation. anyway, i'm sure the arcade version is better, but i like gradius. i only noticed some frame rate issues once those brains with the claws showed up, which is pretty late in the game. frantically keeping track of your power ups to make sure you don't accidentally skip your shield ftw.

does speed up eventually stop? i did it maybe 3 times and actually started to find it harder to control.

Karate Champ
wikipedia says that this was enormously popular, which i do not understand. maybe it was for the two player versus mode. the idea sounds okay on paper: instead of a health bar, the first person to score a hit gets half a point, first to two points wins a match, first to two matches wins. in practice it was kind of boring. the thing that takes the most getting used to is your guy always faces forward and attacking to the left is a different set of moves. i checked to be sure and this does keep going - apparently there are still people trying to beat high scores. i played it the backgrounds stopped being new and then stopped.

working on Trojan now. Wikipedia calls it a spiritual sequel to ghosts and goblins, but it feels more like a traditional beat em up so far. unless it's quick, i'm guessing that's probably it for today. hoping to get to castlevania by wednesday.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

35. Gradius
the only one of these i played was Gradius 3, and my memory is foggy but this feels like it's the same game. i definitely remember the volcanos and the easter island head level, at least. there's nothing on the wikipedia page or else i would assume that they're both just ports of the arcade version and gradius 3 is a more faithful adaptation. anyway, i'm sure the arcade version is better, but i like gradius. i only noticed some frame rate issues once those brains with the claws showed up, which is pretty late in the game. frantically keeping track of your power ups to make sure you don't accidentally skip your shield ftw.

does speed up eventually stop? i did it maybe 3 times and actually started to find it harder to control.

It caps out after 5, and yeah you don't wanna do it too much because it gets insanely twitchy

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
nes gradius is a port of gradius. snes gradius 3 is a port of gradius 3

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
well thats not quite accurate. nes gradius is pretty close to the arcade game but it might be better to say that snes gradius 3 is based on the arcade gradius 3, it's very different in several respects and a better game imo. ac gradius 3 is one of the hardest shmups ever made and the snes version is much better balanced

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Someone made a romhack of Gradius III that implements the SA-1 chip to remove the slowdown

https://github.com/VitorVilela7/SA1-Root/tree/master/Gradius-III

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Did the arcade have huge slowdown like the SNES did?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
anyways the entire gradius series uses a lot of the same theems and motifs and poo poo

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Someone made a romhack of Gradius III that implements the SA-1 chip to remove the slowdown

https://github.com/VitorVilela7/SA1-Root/tree/master/Gradius-III

the hack is neat but the game needs slowdown, it's built around it. its not impossible without it but it would be kind of silly on arcade difficulty, esp on higher loops

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

P-Mack posted:

Did the arcade have huge slowdown like the SNES did?

yeah. probably not quite as much

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Gradius ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gradius 3 is badass

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'd include Parodius in that as well

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i really dont like gradius's powerup system overall, but ive had a lot of fun with snes gradius 3 and salamander/life force

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The gradius games are not good shmups. The shump genre did noy get good until tyrian 2000 and raptor call.of the shadow. An early preview of euro.devs doing better than jp devs.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

The gradius games are not good shmups. The shump genre did noy get good until tyrian 2000 and raptor call.of the shadow. An early preview of euro.devs doing better than jp devs.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

And with geometry wars tje jean-ra was perfectedm. Sorry for omitting that

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The shump genre did noy get good until tyrian 2000 and raptor call.of the shadow.

this and also stargunner

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I liked how Tyrian had a secret menu option to play this weird real time scorched earth kind of thing

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
if you want a real mans nes shmup play Gun-Nac

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
theres an infamous section of arcade gradius 3 (mercifully excised from the snes version) nicknamed the cube rush where a bunch of cubes float in from the right side of the screen and then home in at light speed right at your ship in a really unpredictable fashion to the point where it's basically impossible for a human to reliably dodge them for the extended period of time the section lasts, but they do stick to walls and each other so what players will do is build a wall of cubes to protect them from further cube attacks, which is much easier said than done:

https://twitter.com/LOWTER3/status/1451978634265194496

when asked what the thought process behind this section was, the developers responded something like "we expected players to dodge the cubes"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
camper got what he deserved

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mycophobia posted:

theres an infamous section of arcade gradius 3 (mercifully excised from the snes version) nicknamed the cube rush where a bunch of cubes float in from the right side of the screen and then home in at light speed right at your ship in a really unpredictable fashion to the point where it's basically impossible for a human to reliably dodge them for the extended period of time the section lasts, but they do stick to walls and each other so what players will do is build a wall of cubes to protect them from further cube attacks, which is much easier said than done:

when asked what the thought process behind this section was, the developers responded something like "we expected players to dodge the cubes"

lmao

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

And with geometry wars tje jean-ra was perfectedm. Sorry for omitting that

probably the best game in this genre is Galaxy Monkey, in Ape Escape.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycophobia posted:

lmao awesome. that the themes and motifs are similar explains it, it's been a long time and some of it just triggered some memories. i remember liking gradius 3, anyway, despite the difficulty. we didn't play a ton of shmups, it was like that and darius twin.

36. Trojan
my problem with early beat-em-ups, i'm realizing, is that a lot of surviving is manipulating how the enemies spawn by being weird about the scrolling. this was cool, though. it gets really hard toward the end when there are dudes you can't reach just propellering around throwing knives down at you while other dudes come from both sides to throw knives sideways. the boss fights are nuts. the gameplay ended up reminding me of zelda 2, sort of, because of how much the boss fights involve jumping and striking at just the right time, then shielding. wikipedia says you have to play the whole game over again to get the real ending, but you don't on the NES version, at least. it actually sort of does a credit roll where they show you all the bad guys. also the final boss looks just like the Knight from final fantasy 1:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Isn't there another part where tiles shoot up from the floor that's like the same idea but not bullshit

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

youre thinking of link to the past.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

P-Mack posted:

Isn't there another part where tiles shoot up from the floor that's like the same idea but not bullshit

yeah theres a part real late in the game (last stage I think) that fires floor and ceiling tiles at you that's much more reasonable.

though the whole game is stupid hard and for total masochists only. it's 45 minutes long, loops endlessly and after the first loop some checkpoints become literally impossible. really great players will often get to like the stage 2 boss checkpoint on some late loop without having died at all, die once and then lose every single one of the fifty something lives they amassed trying to recover because theres just too much poo poo going on and the game gives you basically nothing to start with

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
anyway im done spazzing out about gradius sorry

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

b_d posted:

youre thinking of link to the past.

They could also be thinking of Link’s Awakening, Link’s Awakening DX or Link’s Awakening (Switch).

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i tried doing the geometry wars revival and noone cared. gently caress you!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ArfJason posted:

i tried doing the geometry wars revival and noone cared. gently caress you!

im too bad at geometry wars to truly compete

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Genesis GnG is a really good port for the time

its very underrated like many genesis ports are

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 26, 2021

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycophobia posted:

anyway im done spazzing out about gradius sorry

it's cool to learn weird things about old games IMO

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

it's cool to learn weird things about old games IMO

agreed, old games ftw

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Mario 3d world - 2nd attempt on this one and beat it in a few days. Great game, a couple of frustrating levels but a lot of fun overall. Now to tackle Bowser's revenge

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

FF7R (PS5) - what a game. Great script, fun combat, good characters, it looked phenomenal. Never played the original so I’m happy to finally experience this. Normal difficulty wasn’t exactly taxing - I think the only thing that killed me was the final boss in the final road chase sequence - but that didn’t make it any less fun. Gonna probably dive right into the DLC, I’m not done with this yet.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

star fox 64 - hard route. cool fuckin game. no gold medals, i did get enough hits on venom hard except fuckin slippy died. definitely playing more of this for a while but first ocarina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
inscryption. loved it and very glad i knew barely anything ab it from start to finish other than the trailer from e3.